Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
FIFA would never hold the World Cup in Antarctica as penguins have not discovered a way to pay bribes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Every time I see this dumb Qatari ahole's smug smile it makes me angry.

Then he's so goofy it reminds me of this and I have to laugh:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Crazy Ted posted:

Also that was the one where the opening ceremonies had a number featuring cheerleaders and pickup trucks.

You beat me to it but that is still the memory I cherish the most. I grew up in Atlanta and even as a dumb teenage, thought that was the most hilariously terrible ideas ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po9AV3p7qkU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/09/sepp-blatter-fifth-term-fifa-president?CMP=EMCFTBEML853

a fat corrupt fraud posted:

The Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, has dropped another hint that he intends to stand for a fifth term as the head of football's governing body in next year's election.

"I want to do it because it's not over yet," he said during an event in Zurich, according to the Swiss newspaper Blick. "My mandate is certainly coming to its end but my mission is not yet complete."

The 78-year-old was elected unopposed for a fourth term in 2011 after his rival, Mohamed Bin Hammam, withdrew his candidacy having been accused of offering cash for votes. Bin Hammam was later banned from football for life by Fifa.

Blatter, who has occupied the role since June 1998, initially said this would be his final term but has since hinted at a change of mind. In February, he told a Swiss radio station: "I'm in good health and I don't see why I should now think about stopping the work, about the consolidation of Fifa. If the member associations ask me to be a candidate, I would not say no."

:getout:

It's not over yet you guys, he hasn't completed his mission, that mission being to completely kill football.

He will never leave, will he? He's like the Swiss Robert Mugabe.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Shes Not Impressed posted:

John Oliver did a World Cup/FIFA bit on his new show last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

Came here to post that. Oliver's been doing some great stuff on his new HBO show and that's probably been his best takedown so far.

Also from the Bugle's wikia: http://bugle.wikia.com/wiki/John_Oliver

quote:

John Oliver has thrice urinated on Steven Gerrard.

:eng101:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
What would the criteria need to be for some sort of charges or at least penalties against Blatter / an organization like FIFA be?

Would Switzerland need to actually pursue it or could say US law enforcement use something like the RICO statutes they like use to make anything all of a sudden a major felony? Just between the NYT article about crooked refs and documented collusion and bribery in the millions from Qatar in the last month, among other things, let alone all the other documented cases previously, there must be some sort of civil or criminal charges that could be filed right?

Of course nothing will ever happen to this grossly corrupt organization but it'd be nice if at least someone somewhere with jurisdiction tried to make a case against them.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Maybe he should've tried it get in with the Chilean fans?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Lol. Between FIFA and Putin, they never cease to amaze with new and interesting ways to be corrupt. Now I wonder who he gave away Tom Kraft's Super Bowl ring to as a bribe.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I really want to someone to remake the music video of Shaggy's classic jam, "It Wasn't Me," but about Sepp Blatter and FIFA.

Instead of bootylicious models draped all over him in a mansion, it would be dead Nepalese serfs, Jack Warner gyrating in the background as Beckenbauer flashes his Rolexes, in an air-conditioned stadium in the desert.

fake edit: pre-emptive "wrong thread," definitely should be in the Weekend Web

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Der Shovel posted:

Where's a bunch of angry terrorists when you need them?

Ironically, they're extremely local to the venues.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Please just tell me that Tokyo Sexwale is going to be ok.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Could a fellow American please fulfill the needful and do a comprehensive write up as to the FIFA ExCom, CONCACAF and the other confederations would be which respective houses in Game of Thrones?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
You know this is totally Sepp right now.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
This is pretty cool and good:

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/the-toe-poke/65/post/2540572/fifa-corruption-exhibition-set-to-open-in-las-vegas

quote:

With FIFA well and truly making an exhibition of themselves over the past few months, it's only natural that world football's governing body and the corruption scandal in which it is currently situated be turned into a museum piece in its own right.

As such, a permanent display entitled "The Beautiful Game Turns Ugly" is now due to open, rather fittingly, at the National Museum of Organized Crime and Law Enforcement -- otherwise known as The Mob Museum -- in Las Vegas.

Opening on the first day of September, the exhibition will feature photos and media snippets centred around the myriad web of accusations, counter-accusations, bribery, racketeering and other related miscellaneous scandal currently enveloping Sepp Blatter's hierarchy.

I'd love to see the diorama of Chuck Blazer's cat apartment, Jack Warner's development academy/Haitian relief efforts ("Exhibit under construction") and Qatar slave deaths that'd end up looking like the Terracota Army.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Ok so the source isn't great but can we all at least agree it contains some very good sentences regarding everyone's favorite FIFA committee member, Tokyo Sexwale?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Lol, FIFA will never change and they don't give a gently caress.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/10/ousted-fifa-ethics-heads-investigating-hundreds-corruption-cases

quote:

Football’s world governing body, Fifa, has “neutralised” and “incapacitated” its corruption investigations after removing the chairmen and all but two members of its ethics committee, the two ousted chairmen said the day before the organisation’s congress in Bahrain.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
"FIFA Ethics Committee" is one of those great all-time oxymorons that makes me lol anytime I see something about it.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Byolante posted:

I think the new administration would be fine with dirty russian money flowing through the US in a golden stream.

Former MI6 intelligence officer spotted.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
How many Rolexes did Beckenbauer get for that?

The Chinese will still be utter poo poo though, even if they were set up in La Masia or Ajax circa 1980's and 90's.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Pook Good Mook posted:

I for one am excited to sit in the mega Hillsborough.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Should be in the Weekend Web thread.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
If you look closely, it's actually one of those photo mosaics that's made with the pictures of thousands of slaves migrant laborers that have been killed building the stadia for this cursed tournament.

Gigi Galli posted:

White girls wrist tattoo
Qat_ar 202
lol

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Is this why the WAGs of the World Cup thread was shut down?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Speaking of CAF, I wonder what has TRP All-Time Best XI for Corrupt FIFA Members with Fantastic Names MVP Tokyo Sexwale been up to?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Gigi Galli posted:

That’s only the public portion of the bribe I imagine.
Unsurprisingly, something about this seems really off - FIFA metes out poo poo punishments and fines for racism but a billionaire oil magnate who owns one of the richest clubs in the world only pays like a £1M fine? They are incompetent at everything except graft so whiffing on a primo chance to wet their beak doesn't align with the FIFA we all know and love.

Knowing how they operate, I bet the real "settlement" was somehow even worse - like FIFA somehow is paying or promoting HIS interests in some sketchy scheme by funneling African youth players to PSG, "opening a grass roots development" across the Emirates or covering up literal dead bodies from some white elephant project.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

If anything this makes me more worried.

:same: since I've been following their complicity with China in this little COVID-19 thing

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/24/sepp-blatter-gets-new-six-year-ban-from-football-after-fifa-investigation

quote:

The former Fifa president Sepp Blatter has been given a new ban of six years and eight months from football, the game’s global governing body has announced.

The ban has been imposed for multiple breaches of Fifa’s ethics code and comes into force when a current suspension ends in October, Fifa said. The same length of suspension has been imposed on the organisation’s former secretary general Jérôme Valcke. Both men have been fined 1m Swiss francs (almost £780,000), Fifa said.

Valcke was found to have accepted undue benefits worth CHF30m – 9m in relation to the 2010 World Cup, 10m in relation to the 2013 Confederations Cup and 2014 World Cup in Brazil, and 11m in relation to the 2017 Confederations Cup and 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Blatter, whose behaviour the ethics committee described as “completely reprehensible”, and Valcke have been banned from involvement in the game since 2015. They have 21 days to lodge an appeal against the sanctions and decision with the court of arbitration for sport.

I’m sure this has taken care of the endemic corruption at FIFA.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

psyer posted:

I think Infantino already mentioned about a tournament for teams that don't qualify for the World Cup is an idea they may explore in the future.

Just roll this into the Homeless World Cup

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
On 2nd thought, the homeless have been through enough, they shouldn’t have to deal with FIFA and probably don’t have money for bribes.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Crazy Ted posted:

The player: Michael Owen

Your post reminded me of this

https://youtu.be/CFnymJDZAS8

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Someone make sure to let the Leicester players know via WhatsApp.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Ok, everyone, I hope you're all sitting down for this news, which brings me no joy but it sounds like Qatar might be a bit of a clusterfuck:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/world-cup-2022-qatar-opened-its-massive-lusail-stadium-and-the-reviews-were-not-great-134801410.html

quote:

Once the match ended, the stadium received a litany of poor reviews from fans who attended, according to Reuters and Doha News. Lack of hydration stations and bathrooms, poor air conditioning and long public transportation lines were the biggest issues fans had with the stadium where the World Cup final will be played on Dec. 18.

Fan accounts from the match were fairly negative:

"This is such a mess," Eslam, an Egyptian fan who lives in Qatar, told Reuters. "I don't want to go to the World Cup anymore. Not if it's like this."
“I had to carry my young son because he was tired from walking and was so dehydrated," Mohammed told Doha News. "There was no water at all, the volunteers kept saying ‘I don’t know’ every time I asked how far we have left."
“I spent 20 minutes looking for the female bathroom," one fan told Doha News. "For some reason, no one knew where it was. Everyone gave the wrong directions. It was so tiring and frustrating,” another one added.

"Even some ambulances were driving around trying to figure out where they were supposed to be positioned," one anonymous supplier told Reuters. "We were given the wrong directions over and over and the parking passes we had were for lots that didn't exist."

At least it didn't take literally thousands of lives from poor migrants across Asia to provide this incredible experience for the global sports' premier event!

Bonus is an Infantino quote from that that article earlier this year that I hadn't heard before:

quote:

Infantino saying that Qatar's migrant World Cup workers are operating in "hard conditions" — and those "hard conditions" should give them "dignity and pride" — is a shocking way to characterize what they've reportedly been dealing with. Amnesty International has documented that workers in Qatar are being "exploited" and "subjected to forced labor," which were huge concerns even in 2010 when Qatar was awarded the 2022 World Cup.

Additionally, Infantino claimed that FIFA had "changed" the conditions in Qatar.

"It’s also a matter of pride and to have been able to change the conditions for these 1.5 million people, this is something that makes us as well proud,” Infantino said via the AP. He did not offer details about what FIFA had "changed" as far as working conditions.

Urgh, gently caress FIFA so hard

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Today I feel like a stray dog

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

webmeister posted:

Cool, the country where women need permission from a man to do basically anything is going to be a sponsor for the Women’s World Cup later this year

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jan/31/womens-world-cup-football-sponsored-visit-saudi-arabia

That kind of reminds me of when I lived in China in 2007-2008 and they hosted the Special Olympics right before the Beijing Olympics and I saw this on a restroom door in their largest and most cosmopolitan city

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Akbar posted:

Shanghai?

Yep

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Started out with a kiss
How did it end up like this
It was only a kiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Feel very silly and naive when Blatter finally went down and I momentarily believed “surely it can't get dumber and more blatantly corrupt” and Infantino/FIFA have proved me wrong every day since