Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Insanely Sikh posted:

The thing about cricket right, is that it sort of is like baseball,

Just like the NFL is sort of like the Premier League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Actually that's a bad analogy because the NFL makes a ton more money than the Premier League and no one gives a poo poo about cricket.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Also that Jesus told Sepp that all his ideas about women's football were correct.

Sepp doesn't need divine intervention to validate those ideas.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Everything except the bought referees was ok I guess.

QQ more bitch.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Sexwale has beached himself.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

davecrazy posted:

The Womens World Cup would be less exciting, that's for sure.

I'm not sure that's physically possible.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hoops posted:

Is Qatar even a nice place to go as a tourist?

Only if you're straight and hate alcohol. So for you, no.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

porkface posted:

Just shows how powerful the Czechs are

Inbev is actually Belgian...

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Oh I got your joke, I was just making sure you weren't a retard.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

How much money could there even be in this crap? You can get them free at any beach they just wash up on shore

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

frankenfreak posted:

His full name was Jean-Marie Faustin Goedefroid de Havelange.

I'm glad he's dead.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Byolante posted:

I don't see how that is possible since Ireland vs Egypt 1992 won't happen there

Ah yes, the glorious 1992 World Cup.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

advanced statsman posted:

what about the transphobia task-force?

They've all gone and lost their marbles.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Tell the Carribean to gently caress off and join Oceania, problem solved

Chuck out all of the teams that have never qualified for a World Cup, keep the rest.

USA
Canada
Mexico
Jamaica
Trinidad and Tobago
Honduras
Costa Rica
Haiti
Cuba
El Salvador

10 teams, 2.5, maybe 3 World Cup spots.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Also those were World Wars.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What a great suggestion let's round up the trams to a nice number, say, 256

2 team group stages, 4 matches
Winner goes to the 128 winners group stage
Loser goes to the 128 losers group stage, where the winner of that stage goes on to play the loser of the 128 winners 2nd team group stage, in the third group stage

Just imagine!

It's all coming together, like the pieces of a puzzle.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It seems I've been owned.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

This is going to take forever and be absolutely unwatchable.

You'll still watch it, just like everyone else.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

algebra testes posted:

Its hilarious also that NZ gets automatic qualification too.

New Zealand managed 3 points in the 2010 World Cup.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

Can someone please clarify what an 8-second run-up is, exactly?

Watch old NASL or MLS shootout run-ups.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I don't think you should be allowed to host a World Cup without previously having qualified for one.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Amadou_Diallo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I definitely trust Russian immigration control to let you by with a couple eight balls

You can only do heroin if you have a prescription for it, which I'm sure is a super common thing to get a script for.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

brocked posted:

Imagine an African team playing a World Cup match in Russia reffed entirely by Italians

Who is the African team playing? This is very important.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Brony Car posted:

South Korea

It's the Kobayashi Maru of VAR.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

Didn't really fit in the drugs/rape thread...

Not only does he suck, but his charitable fund is shady as poo poo

WaterAid 'still not received money' from Saido Berahino charity bash three years ago

No goals, no water.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

Powerade doesn't have caffeine in it, so it shouldn't be allowed to be called an energy drink imo

It has ~*electrolytes*~

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Some African refs that were scheduled to ref games at the WC have been filmed taking bribes.

Totally normal

Ghana is going to dissolve their FA over it.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/ghana/story/3519954/ghanaian-government-to-dissolve-football-association-after-bribery-allegations

And a Kenyan referee has withdrawn from the World Cup.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/kenya/story/3519642/kenyan-referee-resigns-from-world-cup-after-bribery-sting

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

I’m the maths teacher who accepted $600 to put $27k+ in jeopardy.
Teachers in Kenya earn about $1000 per month ffs. Why would you take a $600 bribe when you stand to make double your annual salary in a month for making some bad offside calls?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

Cop in Cambodia straight offered to sell me his badge as a souvenir for $40.

Worth it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm not sure if this should go in the Corruption thread but Ajax have admitted that they didn't deal with Abdelhak Nouri's cardiac arrest appropriately.

I believe this is the first time that a club has admitted to negligence in regard to a player having a cardiac arrest during a match.

http://english.ajax.nl/streams/ajax-now/ajax-statement-about-abdelhak-nouri-.htm

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

gently caress all these fuckers off out in the stratosphere of rape and impropriety so good honest teams like spurs can employ the last few honest men to win the newly worthwhile premier league.

You got Leicester in 2016, football is now dead.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

hadji murad posted:

The 2020 Olympics should really be in October like the 1964 games which I guess would have interfered with leagues if football was an Olympic sport back then.

No one cares about Olympic football, it's a U-23 tournament.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Where the gently caress can I get this drug, it sounds incredible.

quote:

The Austrians had analyzed the sample and found that it contained traces of dexamethasone, a cortisone preparation that has an anti-inflammatory effect in addition to relieving pain. It also increases cognition and concentration and can have a euphoric effect.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vinestalk posted:

It's super good. Check this poo poo out:

Well I already have most of the side effects in my life anyway so put that poo poo in my veins.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

lol he's literally a refugee from Bahrain, he's never going back there without him being thrown in prison and tortured again. He's coming home to Australia, where he's been granted asylum from Bahrain.

Please provide some Australian Second Division "highlights" since that's where he's been playing and I would love to see the standard there.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

We need to remember that women’s football and sports in general are still an emerging market. The first WWC took place 60 years after the first World Cup, that’s actually pretty good all things considered. If you had asked me in 1998 just before the France World Cup as a soccer crazed American I couldn’t have told you that there had been two WWC, let alone that the US won one. 1999 changed a lot because it was the first time a WWC had American TV behind it.

I kind of liken it to lacrosse in the US, a culture I grew up in because my dad played in college and beyond. When I first started going to lacrosse games I would be hanging out with guys who would be akin to hanging out with Pele, Maradona, and Beckenbauer. Now I know almost nothing about the current lacrosse landscape and who is the Messi, Ronaldo, etc. but the fanbase is steadily growing and there are now three pro lacrosse leagues(one indoor) in the US.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

There’s a thread where it’s already being discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

pik_d posted:

https://twitter.com/FIFPro/status/1176222532208332802

No City players, more Real Madrid players than Liverpool players, Harard, this is insanity.

Marcelo didn't even play for like half the season.