Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

sliami posted:

They are in different orders, that's a screencap from another post. The foggy face emoji isn't new, so that's why it shows up—the rest are actually new ones .
🫶🧌 < So are these !

That's so weird, the exact same thing happens on my end (even with an android update a few days back. I can see these ones on the quote page, who knows what happens when I post

e:

:ms:/:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Here's a weird bug that's for a specific enough situation that I haven't seen it before. In OLED mode, if someone puts strikethrough tags on the outside of spoiler tags rather than the inside, it shows the strikethrough line on top of the spoiler tag. Example post text and app output:

As far as I can tell, it's specific to the app and its OLED theme only, other spoilers seem to work fine either way.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

nashona posted:

I have today's update but now I can't seem to expand the user area in the leper's colony to see who gave the probe. everything else displays fine and I can expand to see user's titles while reading threads. I don't have any one on ignore

Same, I thought I was imagining things when I saw that earlier.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Umm.. just an FYI

I have had my phone crash 2 times today, while on the app.

Anyone else?

I've had some weird hangups and crashes with the app recently, but I suspect it's more a matter of my phone staying to show its age + the awful app just being one I regularly have open.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Selecting a default is something I've thought would be a nice little addition, I use direct upload 95% of the time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I have a problem with Search This Thread frequently that never returns results

I also see this constantly, with or without quote marks in the search, to the point that I just mostly end up using it to copy the thread ID for browser searches.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Android 11/English for me, although I can duplicate that search. I know it has sporadically worked for me in the past, but I don't *think* I've changed themes or anything since the last few times I noticed it not working though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yep, I've mentioned it before, but every time I have a weird bug in basic functionality it turns out that I need to update Chrome and whatever Android stuff that automatically fixes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Just a heads up that I've been noticing some weird behavior with forums search in the app lately. It seems to work fine in some threads, but in others it gives me zero results when I know there should be some matches (and have confirmed this using the forum's browser interface).

Specific example: searching this thread for "principle" returns nothing in the app, but using the same "threadid:3745614 principle" search in a browser gives me a page of results. I thought at first there might be a date issue since they're posts from last year or earlier, but I've replicated it in other threads with posts from this month.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

handle posted:

Are you upgraded to Awful.apk version 3.8.15? There was a fix for a similar problem that went out maybe a monthish ago.

Ah, there it is! Thank you, I'm usually good about updating first but I could've sworn I'd checked recently.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

This is probably due to lovely work wifi, but I just had all avatars stop showing. I had to go to Settings > Images, turn off Show Avatars, and then turn it back on.

Running Android EMUI 8 with Webview 106.0.529.126 (524912603)

That has happened to me pretty consistently when I'm stuck with ultra low bandwidth (like when the power goes out and everyone in town instantly jumps onto the cell network at once).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It truly is something awful

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol, I was literally just wondering the other day what goes into approving apps like this, and whether there's someone on the other end who has to sit around browsing the forums testing it out :ms:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh huh, did that interface change at some point? I would've absolutely sworn that there was a way to tap forward for more results, more like the browser menu. Maybe I'm just going insane.
For what it's worth, I do like paging through results better just because it's a bit easier to keep track of where you are.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh weird, it's happening to me too, and I noticed it when I start from a discord link as well. Latest app update, I thought my phone doing an android 12 update the other day might have cleared my settings but the app is still set up open by default.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

pnumoman posted:

I had the links not working issue, but it turned out it was just a setting that got reset. Had to go into settings, apps, awful app, open by default, and there was an unchecked checkbox next to forums.somwthingawful.com. Maybe it was reset by the security update yesterday? I dunno, but in any case checking that box that fixed it. On a Pixel 7 pro btw.

Oh, that's weird. I saw that "open by default" was still selected but I didn't notice that the actual URL for it was unselected. Works fine now. :tipshat:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I forgot I was signed up for the beta updates and was very pleasantly surprised to find out that the imgur uploader now remembers that I like direct uploads, that's the little QoL change I've wished for the longest! :tipshat:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Something I've noticed in image threads (comics in particular) is that large image files hosted on imgur get increasingly blurry, to the point where text can be impossible to read. Example screenshot using "display image" in the app and zooming in to the details:

(from this post)

I assumed this was purely a problem with imgur, but I learned from some discussion today that using a phone browser on the forums leaves it readable, pulling it from the exact same imgur url:

I was just curious if there might be a good way to have the app show the better quality version for larger images like this, I dunno if there's something not working right or if there was a choice made along the way to save on loading or something.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Creamythighs posted:

Yes that's what I mean. Like when ppl are posting on the website does it show in the app as well? I'm only asking bc I'm new here and still learning to navigate the app. Every thread I go on doesn't show any posts from this year

:confused:
Yeah, it should show everything exactly the same as you see from a browser, it's just a different interface loading everything.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

You, me, and who makes 3?

Posted from my Kindle Fire HD

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dabir posted:

I don't know if it's a setting I've messed up or what, but links to SA from announcements get opened in my browser instead of within the app. This is on Android.

Probably obvious, but it's worth checking the open by default settings if you haven't already, sometimes things go weird there with updates or something. I had this happen with the last announcement, and one of my phones had that disabled (which may have been me testing something and then forgetting to change back) but the other was set to ask which app to use every time (not a setting I would ever assign it myself).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vitamin Me posted:

Is this in the android setting somewhere? Have same problem and cant find it in default apps

There's an "open by default" menu in the list of options for each specific app that you can pull up on its app info screen.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Following on that whole imgur thing, I'm curious how image uploads through the app are handled. I'm assuming they're anonymous and not linked to an account along the way? I hate imgur's mobile interface, but I may have to start dealing with that if it's needed to tie images to an account.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Something I've noticed a few times is that if I start playing a video embed but then back out of the thread and minimize the app, sometimes when I come back later the file will be playing in the background even though I'm not in the thread any more. I'm not sure how frequent it is because you can only tell it's happening by the audio, but I often have the phone muted. It's happened for both imgur and twitter video embeds.

Here's the offending post from today:

You can imagine my horror when I was listening to something else, and suddenly a creepy voice broke in to sigh and tell me he liked being stroked :ohdear:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm not sure what the insert image/video functions would even do with a local file though, haven't they always existed just to slap bbcode tags on urls? I thought uploading to imgur or adding an attachment were the only ways to do anything with local files.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, the file attachment option is over in the other menu, which means I usually forget it exists, but the SA attachment system is also currently terrible, so :shrug:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Absence of a feature can be a feature!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

FIX SIGNS posted:

For some reason, awful app no longer let's me tap thumbnails to enlarge them or tap user avatars / names to enlarge them and see their profile quotes and info.

Just started two days ago?

I don't think I've seen that exact problem before, but pretty much every time I've suddenly had a weird problem with buttons and such, updating webview and/or chrome has fixed it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I notice this from time to time and assumed it was my phone getting in need of a reboot. It was pretty bad this morning so I did that, it may have improved a bit, but not enough to definitely say that helped. It also seems pretty consistent whether I'm on wifi or cell data, maybe it's just access to the forums being randomly slow in general? :shrug:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think there's some condensed url formatting the video tags still have trouble with, maybe it was just a random one like that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

YggiDee posted:

When I'm looking at a thread in Firefox I no longer have the option to open it in the app, would that be an Awful issue or a Firefox issue? Or an Android issue?

Does it show up for you in the three dot menu in the upper right? It's there for me when I could've sworn it used to be right next to the url when I tapped on it (a qr code reader is there now). I could also just be remembering wrong.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Worked for me! Thanks for putting in the update, I've been getting tired of switching photos around between devices because mobile browser imgur is so janky.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

I hate to inform you but the app has had imgur uploading for years. This update just adds account details so they don't get wiped at some point

Oh lol, I know. That was kinda vague, but I used it for all the unimportant pics that I don't really care about long-term, I just switched to uploading more important stuff to my account separately from the app after the big imgur announcement.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

x.com embeds just purely don't work on the app or the forums, as far as I know. twitter.com ones with the same URL still work fine aside from random tech issues, I think it's actually an Elon problem at this point.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wendigee posted:

I feel dumb as hell, but i tried looking up my forums ID # and i couldn't find it on my control panel...the discord wants me to share that to verify i am a goon.

I hope im not this useless at looking at code

It's weird that it doesn't show up when looking up your own profile, but you can get your forums ID number by clicking on the ? button underneath a post you've made in a browser and grabbing it from the url. It's kinda funny in context that you can also do that in the app, but it automates it enough that you can't see the account number :classiclol:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Aw cool, works for me too. Thanks as always for putting the effort in to updating things! :tipshat:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

e: apparently not an app issue

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 2, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

Is there a way to get my phone/Firefox to open SA forums links in the app instead of going to the URL?

There should be an option you can enable for Firefox under app info > advanced > open by default. It does seem to get reset from time to time during system updates or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

cr0y posted:

So today imgur uploads all of a sudden quit working. I relinked my imgur account in the account section of this app but when I try to upload I just get an immediate "bad request", anyone know what I can poke at to troubleshoot?

Android 14 running latest version of this app from the Google Play store.

It's been happening to me all day, too. It happened a couple weeks ago as well, but resolved itself within the day.