Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Would it be possible for the forum view to glow when you pick a forum/subforum/thread to view? Just a little glow when you press it - it already does it when you're looking in bookmarks for example. Is this because thread view uses webview and bookmarks uses listview or something like that?

It would make the app look and feel much better IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Wasn't the Xoom Google's original flagship tablet? It never made it to 4.0?

Pretty sure he's talking about the Awful version number, not the Android OS itself.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

WienerDog posted:

It was decided that high quality OP's couldn't / wouldn't be created on mobile. That said, your phone has a web browser, so go nuts there.

Make it so you can only create threads in gbs 2.1

Problem solved!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Just had this happen to me on a stock 2012 Nexus 7:

http://i.imgur.com/eIWvJxE.png

Seems to be the same bug that some others are experiencing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Sereri posted:

What Android version are you on?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Just wanna say thanks for working on the app. It's still the bomb, and much better off than where it was just 6 months ago.

As for the bug, that was the first and only time I saw it. I'm pretty sure I went back to that page a little while after and the black spots were gone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I just noticed that it happened when I task switched to a different app, and then said switched back to awful app. There was one of those black boxes when there were none before. Pretty sure the page didn't reload during that time either.

E: it wasn't even an app really, I just used the task switcher to go into android settings for a few seconds and then switched back.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

baka kaba posted:

I think that's just a Toast, they're drawn separately by the OS

I've never seen a toast that looks like the loading failed one in this app. It's a full popup complete with graphic. I don't think it's a traditional toast.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Sereri posted:

Ah sorry, I only saw those reports pop up during the latest beta which more or less only brought the gif changes.
Still I wonder why I'm not getting more of these reports.

Have you guys made any modifications to rendering in any form? Switched stuff in the developer options? Modifications with apps like CPU freq changes?

I can't seem to recreate this at all.

Nope, everything is completely stock. Happens on both the "dark" theme and the default theme.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

Hey everyone, I've been working on a rewrite of Awful called Something.apk.

I've been working on it privately for a little while now, so it's already come a long way. I've started a development thread in project.log where you can follow the development and post suggestions or bug reports. The current stable build is actually really stable, so give it a shot.

So, this is like an alternate version? Or it'll eventually replace Awful app as we know it?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

alnilam posted:

I have a quick support question about displaying gifs (using app 3.0.5, android 4.4.2 on a moto x).

It used to be that any gifs showed a "GIF" box, and if I pressed the gif, a little menu asked me if I wanted it to show inline, view in browser, or download.
Now, the GIF box still shows, but when I press it, it automatically opens it in a browser. I'd rather be asked every time, if possible, and I usually choose "show inline" anyway.

Did I accidentally touch a "always do this" option or something?
I looked through the awful app settings and couldn't find one that seemed relevant. And I'm not sure what else may have changed - I don't recall an update coinciding with this.

Any thoughts on this? Or did a recent update make "open in browser" always be the case?

Btw, I love the awful app and want to thank all the contributors while I'm posting here!

Sereri posted:

Always open URL applies to URLs and images (so GIFs too). You need to find the Setting "Always open links" and uncheck it.

I was actually wondering this too, so thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, the Awful apps frequent timeouts after the forums issues finally got me to switch to something.apk

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Fwiw I switched back to awful app because I didn't like the something UI :kiddo:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

baka kaba posted:

Lot of people getting Samsunged huh

Judging by the amount of people who have HTC and Motorola devices I'd say...no...not really.

I like the new update. The disabling the FAB took a full close of the app to actually work, other than that no issues yet. Running on a second gen Moto G, and a Galaxy Tab 4 7.0

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
^^^^ Whatever that is, it fucks up Chrome on Windows also sooooooo

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

I get the loading failed message, but don't get logged out. 2014 Moto X, 5.0.

I get loading failed sometimes if I use the task-switcher to switch back to Awful after it's been sitting in the background for a little while. Never been logged out by the app either, though. Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7inch on 4.4.4 (lol @ that name)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Marta Velasquez posted:

Tap the little arrow on the left of the main forum in the forums listing.

That's one level deep, not two.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I don't like megathreads and I'd prefer to be able to make my own thread when appropriate.

You can always add it yourself.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Dodoman posted:

Man asks why a feature is missing, gets piled on.

News at 11

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I thought this was brought up and fixed before; but I'm noticing the issue where swiping down on a box marked [code] to scroll down the page will mark the swipe as a horizontal one instead of vertical. Galaxy Tab 7 4 (lol that name) running ~*disgusting*~ touchwiz 4.4.4

Maybe I should try and find a page with code on it and test it on my Moto X Pure running 6.0?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Looks like Lowtax sticked a post about moving the forums eventually from vB to Xenforo. I would imagine when (if) this eventually happens, it would gently caress up the app real bad :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, a Galaxy s3 I think stops at Android 4.4 so your phone probably just can't display the emojis used.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I would guess that adding features that scrape the forums are at this point probably not smart because maybe (eventually never?) the forums are moving to xenforo and it's gonna gently caress the apps up big time until they're fixed.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Any chance we can have an option to automatically switch between day/night themes depending on time of day?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

baka kaba posted:

Maybe! But it's a bit more complicated for this app since we have a custom theming system

But since everything goes through that it might be fairly straightforward to add some alt theme logic. I'll add it as an issue anyway

You could just have the users choose a theme for each day and night mode. That way they can still use whatever themes they want.

Ideally it would change automatically when the sun goes down, like with the Twitter app.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
My app works fine FWIW. Hasn't cloudfare done this before? Might be the cause?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

vortmax posted:

I'm not sure if this helps, but the app also works on my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 4th gen running Fire OS 5.4.0.1 on wifi.

That version of Fire OS is based on Android 5.0, so it checks out.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Pretty sure Textra allows you to change the icon.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Toshimo posted:

How ancient a version of Android does Awful.apk work on? Also, what's the roadmap for version reqs?

Planning on buying an old cheap tablet to shitpost on, but I don't want to go too old.

I would say anything that runs 5.0 + is probably a safe bet. Hell, the cheapass $40 tablet I got from Amazon to mount in my kitchen last year came with 6.0 on it.

Of course it was terrible and laggy as gently caress (don't buy a $40 tablet).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Sereri posted:

As for dark mode, that's possible nowadays but I'm not sure what the best way would be given our current setup.
Just make it so you can either chose default/dark or one theme from the current selection? Would that work?

Yeah, just make it so the user can choose their light or dark themes, and have it automatically switch between the two. The Twitter app is really nifty about it, and uses your coarse location to determine sunrise and sunset to switch your themes for you. Same with nova launcher. It's awesome.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Midjack posted:

The coarse location permission went away with Android 9, sadly.

Oh, well gotta be some way to do it. Nova Launcher has a pretty good implementation.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

baka kaba posted:

That's just a standard theme in the Android library - you define your styles and it'll automatically switch between applying them to the light base theme or the dark one

Trouble is we have a lot of custom themes, and a whole theming system to handle it (including styling the webview which is what displays thread content, and that's a whole separate thing). It's probably doable, but we can't use the nice easy framework stuff to make it happen. Also it won't do any nice smooth fades or anything :pcgaming:

Let the user choose the theme they want for daytime, and the theme they want for night. That way everyone can still use the themes available in the app.

I'm pretty sure I read that the way nova launcher does it, is that they scrape the data from the build in nightlight feature in Android and base it on that. So if your night light in Android is set to turn on and off with sunrise and sunset it'll grab the data from that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Auto switching themes based on time of day detected by the location of your phone is cool as gently caress though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Does the beta have the auto theme switching based on location/sunset/sunrise or Nah?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Kheldarn posted:

Ah. I only started using it a few months ago, so I never saw it before.

Huh. I guess I'm not nerd enough to know how to do that. Oh well!

Edit: Apparently, my phone doesn't support that feature. Adaptive Icons is always greyed out.

I believe it's a Nova Launcher Prime feature. Cough up that $5!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
My Chrome updated today, and now pages in the app take quite awhile to load - almost like it's waiting for the webview component to kick in and start doing its thing.

Pixel 2 XL with latest non beta Chrome and Awful app.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I was just assuming the site itself was loading slowly tonight.

Yeah, didn't think about that. Could be!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Montalvo posted:

Does anyone have any good Muzei extensions they'd recommend? I'm starting to get tired of staring at the same beige / black painting color palette.

This is probably the thread you want to ask in:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751764

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

baka kaba posted:

coming soon: chat with goons in your area

our themes are a bit involved so it's probably not doable, or it would be a bunch of work to try and make it happen anyway

the way it normally works is you have a special day/night theme with stylings for either mode, so the app can automatically transition from using one set to the other, and you don't need to do anything. But we have a bunch of selectable themes that would all need redoing, the thread view is themed separately so it wouldn't transition automatically and would need its own logic watching the system for mode changes, it would look real janky, that kind of thing

The first problem can be solved by just letting someone select their "day" theme and their "night" theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm noticing you can't touch YouTube embeds anymore without having them start playing. Like even if it's clearly part of a swipe to scroll up/down movement.

Cool, glad to see this isn't just me. I'll turn off embeds until this is fixed I think.