Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Sereri posted:

This whole thread will be filled with people complaining about frogs soon

:ohdear: Are we losing the frog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Wizgot posted:

It infuriates me that you can't make threads. Justifying the absence of this feature to reduce shitposting just doesn't cut it for me. Has the developer stated at any point that this is the real reason for the lack of thread making?
That's cool bro I get it.
Here, let me help you get started.
code:
int MakeNewThread(int forumID, string title, string body, int OPID){
  // this needs to be hardcoded, thanks Radium
  int icoID = 82;
  /* not sure what to put here but it will probably end up with */
  SubmitForm(forumID, icoID, title, body, OPID);
}

Toshimo posted:

I would donate to a GoFundMe campaign to never include making threads in the app.
:yeah:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Isn't the API used for tweet embedding also rate limited at the scale of the forums themselves?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

ryanbruce posted:

Aye. It just changed the color slightly. Maybe it's because I'm using the dark theme?

Dark theme best theme. fite me.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

ryanbruce posted:

We're on the same team, yo

not u u cool. those other non-dark-using fuckos.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Bad Llama posted:

yo, the fact that i still cant post a new thread with this app loving sucks, and you should all be a loving shamed of yourselves you fucks

Thanks for your post, buddy. Happy trails!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Party Boat posted:

I read a lot of threads that present bad twitter opinions in image format to safeguard against deletion so please :choco: and thank you for the app

Afaik, the problem is on Twitter's end and not unique to the app.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Hey you can't post new threads from the app.

Thanks guys, phone-written threads would be terrible.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

TIL you can long press smiles to get their bbcode. Nice.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Double post but it's been nearly a day.

Does the app try to auto-fill images when they're linked with url tags instead of img/timg, and can that be turned into a separate option?

I found this post in the OSHA thread and the app auto loaded some :nms: content. Quoting the post showed it was linked not img/timg.

Collateral Damage posted:

Hot from the China thread:

https://url

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Sereri posted:

That's not an image but a video. Which may or may not be automatically embedded depending on your settings (just like it would in a normal browser btw). The app currently does not care about NMS/NWS emoticons in the post or the videos being spoilered, though it will in a future update (the code is already written).

Welp, that could do it I suppose. I just enabled video embedding last week, too.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

pik_d posted:

You're just describing the bookmarks page, which the app supports. Is there any reason you don't use that? The app even puts the threads with replies first.

It can be a little counterintuitive to find the shortcut for bookmarks to drop on your home screen but yeah: the bookmark life is a good life.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

New app icon 😍
Are the imgur uploads capped per user or across the whole app install base?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Sometimes even I load the app up (from the bookmarks shortcut on my home screen) the animated "data is refreshing" circle never goes away. Even if the threads' post unread counts look up to date. Has anyone else noticed this?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Nalin posted:

All the time. However, the latest version that went out has solved it for me (for now). I'm on the beta branch so I'm not sure if it is a beta branch only thing right now.

Yeah I'm not in the beta despite being an app user for goddamned ever because :effort:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

tak posted:

That used to work, but it stopped working a while ago. The back button just takes me to my bookmarks.

I get this, too, on the market version.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

I have what I suspect is a corner case bug going on:
Let's say I'm reading a thread that has < 40 posts on the last page (page 1 for this example), I get to the last page and after reading for a while, I lock my phone.

While my phone is locked, more posts are made and the thread gets additional pages.

When I unlock my phone, the page of the thread I'm on does not refresh, but the pagecount at the bottom updates.

Once I get to the bottom of my page, I pull up to refresh and instead of getting dropped at the first unread post on page 1, I'm looking at the first post on page 2.

Has anyone else noticed that while reading fast-ish moving threads in the app?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

The code block scrolling bug is slain! You guys are the best!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Montalvo posted:

I'm running the most up to date version of the app on a Pixel 2 XL with Android P. I've been getting 'Loading failed!' errors all day, both on WiFi and mobile data.

Your device is EOL, hold out for the Pixel 3 XL :v:
What a terrible snipe.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Hi everything in my app seems to be doing just fine. When will this be fixed?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Scudworth posted:

Embrace permanent dark mode

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

baka kaba posted:

Or be in the beta (or wait for the next app release)

:peanut:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Overall I like the update. One thing I've noticed is if I click into a thread from bookmarks and let my phone lock via inactivity: one my phone is unlocked, it will jump back to what was formerly the first unread post.

It's happened two or three times but usually it's when I'm not paying strict attention (hence the screen timeout)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't know what ZDR is but I went looking for the donation thread for it anyway in GBS.

Jesus loving Christ, there is some mental stuff up in there. Is it just a free-for-all and anything goes?

Anyway, please reconsider allowing goons to cross the palms. I guarantee we'll not make you rich, but you'll all probably get enough for a decent whiskey or a cinema ticket or a nice big bag of rice cakes.

ZDR is administrator and forum code janitor Zen Death Robot. He keeps the servers running and has been essentially furloughed without pay until next year.

The Awful devs accepting money puts them in a potentially tenuous relationship with Lowtax given that the site is supported by ad revenue and ads aren't served up in the app. It's best for everyone if no one kicks that particular hornet nest.

E: ZDR donation thread

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

A+ changelog entry

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Is there some mechanism in the app to cause page refreshes automatically?

Sometimes, even with the app open and focused: turning my screen back on will cause the page to refresh and frequently lose my place. Stock Pixel 2 with the non-beta app.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Kheldarn posted:

Personally, I like it how it is now, and want browsers to do it that way.

:same:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

baka kaba posted:

But the info about the current thread can update even if you don't refresh the page, so you can end up looking at a page that isn't the last one anymore, that doesn't have a full page of posts

This is the behavior I've noticed

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Kheldarn posted:

I just get a blank screen when I choose Display Image for that one

angryrobots posted:

Same here, but when viewing that picture in-thread I can turn my device sideways and it enlarges enough to read.

Weird. It looks like this too me:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

baka kaba posted:

Honestly if it's some custom OEM feature triggering it, there's not really a lot we can do about that without a device to investigate it on. The app's having to rebuild itself to some degree, for some reason, and unfortunately at the moment keeping your place isn't one of the things it does when that happens. I mean ideally we'll be able to sort that out at some point, but you shouldn't run into it too much anyway - unless you're using this feature apparently! And yeah, I know how annoying it is, I saw it when it was happening every time you clicked a link or whatever

Out of interest, does it happen if you lock the screen, go into airplane mode (so there's no internet) and then go back to the app? I'm just wondering if it's only hitting the cache or if it's actually reloading from the site

It's linked to the system text size, so if that's bigger the app text will be too

I'm on a stock Pixel 2 and have the thread lose my place when unlocking my screen.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

baka kaba posted:

every time?

if it's after say 10 minutes it could be the page updating

Ah, not every time. Sorry about that

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Sereri posted:

Might as well also remove that stupid referral parameter added to the link while we're at it

This would be the best possible enhancement I could think of

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

spankmeister posted:

Maybe we need Jinyang to make a hamburger - not hamburger app.

Hamburger apps are called sliders.
Namaste.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Not a bug report, just a funny glitch:

The thread was fully read, then I showed only posts by a poster with multiple pages worth. Swiped back to the bookmarks after looking only at the first page and presto.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Midjack posted:

TCC was renamed to GWS. The Sub Forum is where you talk about food.

:perfect:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

I think I've discovered some bugginess in how private messages are handled:
1. Using OLED theme causes messages to render as black on black:

Vs.

Also when backing out of the settings menu to the PM after changing the theme, the sender's message doesn't show at all

I loaded this PM as classic theme, went to settings, changed to OLED and then immediately back to classic before leaving the settings menu

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Pennfalath posted:

New update makes me unable to read threads or posts on my Moto3G, but making posts myself is still possible.

Howling into the cold uncaring void is the aesthetic of 2019.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

I see you have forums plat, have you picked up AppPlat yet?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

baka kaba posted:

hey thanks for the effort with this, some of the PM stuff is old and needs an overhaul, but I'll add it as an issue

Awesome! I actually cloned the github repo last week to try and take a look myself, but ran out of time on my day off and also don't have an android emulator set up so I was mostly going to be guessing at CSS. I think I found something halfway relevant, but my notes are back at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

baka kaba posted:

Yeah there's some css issues but I've rejigged the display so it's using the same HTML as everything else now, so that fixed a bunch of stuff - the blanking is something to do with the content getting cleared when there's a config change I think, I haven't investigated it yet - sometimes the theme updates fine and then a split second later it disappears

I'll push it later in case you want to play around!

Just received the update! My PMs are legible! Thank you