Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Nice nice nice. Super fast on my nexus 4 will test later on my nexus 7 (2012).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It's a mix for me. My guess is that the app has a built in forum list, and then one it retrieves when it feels cache has expired. When I start the app I can see project.log etc, but it seems that if I use it for a while the sub-sub forums go away.

Edit-weird I can see the wow forum but not project.log So much for that theory!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

As far as I know you never could do that in the app, something to do with how the web view is fixed I'm guessing. Would save me a few trips to imgur proper though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Have you guys done any Nougat testing? I'm seeing some little draw artifacts and such but I'm not sure if I should be blaming the app or the OS yet

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

FR: DayDream VR for the entire app

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah my Nexus 6p will do page forward sometimes from the meaty part of my thumb slightly overlaying the edge. I get the activation without actually touching thing sometimes too, in and out of Awful app.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is anyone having problems with Oreo? I upgraded last night and now Awful either:
- Crash after about 10 seconds (no notification of a crash, it just disappears)
- If it loses focus and I come back to it reloads from start (presumably having crashed invisibly in the background)
- Hangs and eventually produces a "not responding wait/close" message

Nexus 6p, Android 8.0.0, Security Patch Sept 5, Kernel 3.10.73-g10836006bc5 July 24 2017, Build Number OPR6.170623.019
Awful version 3.3.1

Something is weird with this update overall so I'm not even sure Awful is to blame, battery is going down hella fast since this morning, and Chrome is throwing the occasional "cannot load this page" message as well when it didn't before.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Restarted a couple times and now it's lasting a minute or so before disappearing. Pretty sure Awful isn't to blame here, but in case it is here's the new, more stable behaviour:
- Mostly stable while in use, but only for minutes at a time
- If screen locks will refresh like starting from scratch, but in the forum you're currently in (not the thread, it steps back to the forum)
- If it loses focus/switches to another app it's gone immediately and restarts on the forum list (aggressive garbage collection or invisible crashing?)

The reason I think Awful isn't to blame is that Chrome is acting roughly the same, and battery usage is crazy. On battery saver I have a predicted 12 hours life now, without battery saver 3 hours. Before the Oreo update I'd usually get 18-20 without battery saver.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Taffer posted:

the announcement notifications are meaningless because the notifications are meaningless. However they are totally unobtrusive so who cares lol

Yeah this. I was having some problems last week where the app would literally stop working over 20 times a day (unrelated to app, detailed further upthread) and even then I didn't care about the announcement notification because it is entirely ignorable, and in my opinion, perfectly implemented as it is already.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

James Baud posted:

It's pretty awesome how the newest iOS decided to use smartquotes everywhere that people were explicitly using non-smartquotes, eh?

(Not a problem in awful.apk land!)

Yeah was wondering about that, figured it must have been an app thing, but fortunately not this app.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

All my requests get implemented because I'm a Premium Plus User.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Mr.Kattykat posted:

If you play a video with audio in a thread, then swipe out and enter a new thread, the audio keeps playing. I take it this is related to the WebView and I'll just have to manually pause videos before leaving threads like a pleb :argh:

Man kids today are spoiled; having audio playing while being able to do other stuff is a feature we would have killed for earlier on.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is there anything of actual value in the profiles?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The weird thing about the twitter images being broken is that so far I can't really say it's made a huge impact. It might be because I don't read the meme threads and the like, but it hasn't really made me go "aw dang it I really need to see that picture" and the one time I did I just clicked it. (It was a picture of a reporter being swarmed by lemurs being compared to Dr Doom being swarmed by squirrels which was obviously pretty important)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm seeing the GIF weirdness too, but again only in app. That said it's probably in chrome proper, but I just don't visit a lot of sites with animated GIFs like the forums. I'm mostly seeing it on smilies like :lol: and :getin:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Did something change with how Tweeter embeds things? It looks like if it's a playable video the aspect ratio on the preview gets all squashed instead of whatever it's native ratio is; this goes away if you tap to play it but thought it acted differently before. (I mostly don't bother with the videos except in the PYF > Cute thread which I only read every couple of weeks so I could well be smoking crack on this).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It doesn't for me? I use it in BSS all the time to zoom in on panels

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

pokeyman posted:

I�m just loving around, sorry. That�s a complete lie. It�s a common request and the devs just haven�t gotten around to it yet.

Am I just on crack or are apostrophes showing up all weird as of today?

Test'ing

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah the BooCS thread is saying old ones too. Someone implied it was an encoding change at the DB level which I could see, these entities are stored as smart quotes internally but we're sanitzed at some point on output. Probably from non-english keyboards/weird Mac stuff.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Tweet pictures are quasi random for me on the phone app, I'm pretty sure it's the twitter API giving up/being over requested

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sorry if this ties into the blank page error, but I thought I'd do an update on a behaviour I've been observing.

As some might remember I've posted in the past that Awful has some odd activity with my specific set up and network connectivity. What I've observed is that the app will get "stuck" on a network request, sometimes for 10ish minutes. The odd part is that it'll get stuck on a specific operation, e.g. opening a thread, but if I do other things not related to that, it'll still work. Usually the sign of something "coming back" is a Loading Failed message out of nowhere and I'll be able to try and re-open that thread/forum, usually successfully.

What's changed since the update is that the app will still get stuck, but how it recovers from that situation is different. What I'm seeing sometimes is instead of getting stuck, staying on a blank page, and then Loading Failed, is I'll get stuck, stay on the page, Loading Failed, and then the page count will update but the content shown will be the old unrefreshed thread. So for example I'm on page 2 of a thread, and go to page 3. Loading Fails, and the bottom indicia says that I'm now on Page 3. However the actual page content shown is Page 2, which can be confusing. Previously the page index wouldn't iterate up. I think this might be tied to the webview timing out before the network state does and it "reverting" to a last known good status (as appears to be the case in the blank page error) but thought I'd report it in case the additional information proved helpful. I'd put priority on this as "low". Most recent Awful, as up to date Android as you can get with a Nexus 6P.

Also really liking all the updates in this version! To address some other common issues raised:
- Screen icon did disappear, still in the app drawer. Haven't tried to put it back
- No problems with the three dot menu

Also in further congratulatory news, I ran the app on my old old Nexus 7 tablet over the holidays to re-read an image heavy LP thread (DR2) and it didn't stutter or fail even once!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Kazy posted:

Is there an option to view images in a different view so I can zoom in on them?
Opening imgur links just makes them show up in their awful mobile site where I can't see the full resolution image.

Can't you press the image once and choose the Display Image option? That should load it in a zoomable viewer within Awful. Or do you mean images that aren't parsed in awful, and are just URLs?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

baka kaba posted:

It's worth a try (it would definitely be good to see if it helps people having these issues) but just from doing a bit of profiling, the webview seems to be pretty efficient at managing its memory as far as I can tell, I'm only seeing like a 10MB difference or so at best. (This is using the Android Studio profiler and watching Native memory use, and running an Allocations profiler in Chrome's dev tools to see what's allocated and what's left alive, in case anyone has any better ideas for this stuff)

If someone wants to throw a really heavy page at me I'll check that out too

also is the site ok on 10 ppp? I thought there used to be a 30ppp minimum :thunk:

If you look at some screenshot LP threads, and isolate the thread so you only see the OP posts, you can get some pretty heavy pages. Here's the Dangan Ronpa 2 LP that I tried on my Nexus 7 over the holidays:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793286&pagenumber=1

It wouldn't crash out, but it would take close to 2 minutes to render a page sometimes. Was on default 40pp I believe when I looked.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

baka kaba posted:

One of the recent speedup tweaks was noticing the thread page dropdown boxes have an <option> element for every drat page, so in big threads there are hundreds or thousands and they slow page parsing right down, so I yoinked them out

Guess you were rolling with 4x as many, I hope your phone was fast at least!!

Ok yeah, this is suitably insane, thanks! And do people actually browse like this? loving hell

So my initial testing is that yeah, that uses a hell load of memory in the webview, and also it's not that bothered about garbage collection for some reason, so it happily climbed towards 1GB from scrolling through a few pages, and eventually cleared a bit (seems to keep steady on normal threads). That's definitely gonna make the system want to kick it out if it's trying to reclaim memory, so if you're reading these kinds of threads, it's probably not gonna behave but it's also an extreme case

I'll play around and see if I can get my emulator to stop crashing (probably needs more memory :frogbon:) and test it on there, but yeah - maybe we can get the webview to release memory more aggressively. Also yeah those pages are slow to load because of the sheer number of image tags to parse - I might have a tweak for that though

Oh yeah I don't browse like that, you were asking for heavy use scenarios and that was the first one I thought of.

I would say that a lot of the delay is probably purely bandwidth related too; I was using my old Nexus 7 which is only 2.4ghz wifi and that's probably a lot of megabytes coming down the pipe. Unless you were referring purely to page render time not including payload.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Oh yeah I guess for context I'm not really encountering the swapping out of memory issue. Just threw in that example thread because I knew it would be a ball buster.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Taffer posted:

Why does copying a twitter URL from the app carry a bunch of poo poo metadata, but copying a twitter URL from the site doesn't?

I mean this stuff:

code:
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1093918971114467328?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1093918971114467328&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

It's for the embed I'm pretty sure, it's also how twitter knows where the source of the embed is coming from and is the cause of those rate limit errors to have it not show up sometimes. You can delete the querystring in a browser and it'll load normally.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

smdh at people so unsure of themselves they have to use the post preview

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

FR: Change the "Loading Failed" message to "Foading Lailed"

(since I see it so often!! lmao zinged!)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Does this mean we can do regex injection?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I don't have a Twitter account nor do I have an app, when I click through to tweets, I'm taken to chrome. Every time I open a tweet in the browser, I get an error that I'm "rate limited" and should try again. Is this something to do with how awful.apk is sending me to Twitter dot com?

Yeah it's the embed tag in the URL. If you trim out all the gobbleygook after the actual valid twitter link it will load normally.

Basically twitter limits embed loading numbers as a safety/utilisation thing, so visiting that url in a browser (with ?ref=somethingawful%20com etc) is just like viewing it in an embed, e.g. likely to be time out and be rate limited.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Charles posted:

Thanks, sorry if it's a duplicate report. I used forums search to search within this thread for other reports but I realized the indexer probably is out of date. Oops.

More like all the normal app users are far too polite to ever get probied

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

We should write our own webview. With blackjack and hookers

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Charles posted:

Thanks, sorry if it's a duplicate report. I used forums search to search within this thread for other reports but I realized the indexer probably is out of date. Oops.

Well I hope you're happy!! Baka ate a probie just to test this

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

baka kaba posted:

Hrm thanks, I'll take a look!

I can confirm this is happening too, noticed it a couple days ago (when posts by user<1 page it uses thread total pages)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not really a burg though. Maybe a plate of skewers?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I've seen that negative max int thing a few times; generally means something doesn't get initialized in time for render and a refresh usually clears it up.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Twitter embeds are usually Twitter hq rate limiting the apps request against the API.

Losing your place on the page is when it swaps in/out of memory due to other stuff/gc on your phone. Lotta potential reasons for this one.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Twitter rate limit isn't against you personally, it's against all users of SA. Wouldn't surprise me if we're up against it event at 4am with all the dirty euros they let in over my protests.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Put a new post button but it actually just adds replies to this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I haven't looked into it but I'd guess its probably Twitter. The whole embed thing is a nightmare they wish they could turn off, or at least control a lot more than they do now.