Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Doesn't seem that odd to me re: Bay, especially with the way he chooses to display conspicuous sexuality. It's always Hot Rod Magazine/expensive strip club stuff, he likes that pin-up girl look but always shies away from actual sex, even in his gruesome, raunchy R rated movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's a movie gag, that's not even a simulacra of a couple loving, it's a bawdy joke about a black dude insecure about having a little dick hooking up with a fat white girl. She likes to get "naughty" in bed but like him, she seems to be all talk. As such there's never been a sex scene that I recall in a Bay movie that even seems like an idealized movie sex scene.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's definitely recurring, though, he treats the sexuality of many of the characters in many of his films as though they're twelve (for various thematic reasons). Sam Witwicky's parents act like stoned teenagers, which is fine because you can't have two dads AND a mom.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Looking a little Inhumanoids-ish there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Personally, I like that the film's staunchest defender has to admit how vile and nearly unwatchable the second movie is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
2 has it's moments but I'm not that into robot cooning. 3 is balls to the wall and replaces cyber-minstrelsy with Buzz Aldrin.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yes, but it triggers me. I'm being flip but I'm less likely to revisit it because I just find myself squirming in my seat to watch it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sassassin posted:

Do you not watch horror movies?

There's not a lot of horror movies about Stepin Fetchit. Incidentally, I find sexualized violence really tough to watch in horror movies (though you're oddly more likely to see that in a serious drama than a horror movie nowadays). My point is not that I'm so deeply offended, because I'm used to tone deaf portrayals of black people in movies, my point is that it's just cringingly awful, and not in the compelling King of Comedy sort of way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 8, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is how the Twins must be understood. Underneath the cars, they are the same monsters as everyone else, the same machines, but they are clothed in neon colours and gold teeth. They are illiterate and whatever, and that's 'OK' - illiteracy is a real issue - but the Twins don't wear their monstrosity with pride. They disguise it with non-confrontational, non-threatening, tolerable jokiness.

While not exactly a sidetrack, the monstrous fanged ape Bamboozled blackface still stands out; Optimus is a nasty subversion of an idealized Real American Hero but that doesn't hit as hard as distasteful stereotypes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They tried to find the raddest looking dude they could find. They should've just cut to the chase and said "Boys 25+".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wade Wilson posted:

When did poo poo like this stop being probatable?

I got probated once because I genuinely misspelled his name.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

It makes me angry because it's a blatant loving plot hole that the movie fails to explain. But enough of this derail.

It's a movie about a born again Christian where the aliens are killed with holy water.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

verybad posted:

Good taste.

Everybody has the delusion that they have good taste.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SirDrone posted:

Yeah I ain't digging the whole feathered raptor thing, giant robot turkies ain't as cool as giant reptile raptors

Having been around wild turkeys roaming the woods near where I grew up, I gotta say there's plenty that looks cool and primordial about them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lord Krangdar posted:

What's a series where you actually could come in on the fourth consecutive film (like, not including reboots or whatever) and reasonably expect to understand the bulk of what's going on?

Not that there aren't any, I just can't think of any right now.

Land Of The Dead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lord Krangdar posted:

The stories of those Dead films are not consecutive, though, right?

Yeah, they share none of the same characters. Probably what I like about them is that there is no chronology or continuity at all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Terry's a woman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

zVxTeflon posted:

Glad we got that straightened out

If you're going to slander someone, get your facts straight.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Good, Churchill was scum.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Churchill proudly presided over a genocide nobody gives a gently caress about.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I was curious about this, so I looked it up. :stare:

I knew Churchill was a war-loving shithead but I didn't realize it went as far as "letting entire countries starve to death on purpose."

DeimosRising posted:

And talked poo poo about the victims during and after. He was one of the foremost cavalier shits about WW1's attrition rate, too.

I maintain that his reputation is largely due to his qualities as a writer (and he is impressively grandiloquent) and the British tendency to instinctively genuflect to your social betters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm really glad Scioli has his own style now and isn't just doing a Kirby homage.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

Blomkamp was Peter Jackson's protege wasn't he

Yeah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Maybe different old English dudes like different types of movies? :shrug:

All of the UK actors you can name have no qualms whatsoever about being in total garbage. They seem much less confused about the high art/low art thing than Americans. All films are low art.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

You and I have talked about this before but I think we colonials just get fooled by the accent

For good reason, they value enunciation and diction and enshrine all of their goofy accents. But for some reason we associate that with classiness and not, I dunno, selfcenteredness.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

And the good kind at that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Milky Moor posted:

New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQm3djLYWB8

So, uh, did they make Unicron/Cybertron personified by a woman? Or is she one of the Creators Lockdown spoke of? This film looks insane.

If I was 10 years old this would instantly be my favorite movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I always wondered about that, does the Mid-Atlantic fake British accent even exist anymore?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I confess to not having spent that much time in New England.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Milky Moor posted:

I find the idea that people can't remember the movies strange. Even when I saw the first one, I could place everything that happened in. The second one was a mess but that's more on account of the bizarre plot. I don't know if my brain is just able to comprehend Bay's frantic style more than most, or if it's just a regurgitated meme. I'm very curious to see the rest of her series.

I wondered about this too, but I'm certain she's doing this for a certain audience. These are common Transformers "hatewatching" memes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yep. The assumed position is that criticism is only useful as a "takedown".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I would say Plinkett was much more influential, CinemaSins was getting there a few years ago, but the Plinkett reviews endured.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Well, they were never good in the first place. But they were undeniably an incredibly influential gateway to art criticism.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Is this Bay's Herbie the Love Bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Just tremendous.