Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

GentlemansSleepover posted:

I have several friends in their 20s-30s who are every bit as computer illiterate as my grandmother, and just as proud of it.

Pride in ignorance pisses me off so much, especially that curiously middle class anti-intellectualism focused on the sciences. People who sneer at anyone who reads trashy books, yet also boast of how little they understand maths or computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The company's been expanding a lot faster than the IT budget this year, so I'm spending more and more time guddling about in the Ancient Pile of Broken Crap trying to put together working laptops. I actually quite enjoy it. It's kind of relaxing, like playing with lego.
The one annoyance is keyboard keys. You'd think a single model of laptop would all have identical keyboards, but our Latitudes have no fewer than eight types of clip fastening the keys to the board. Why so many? Each type is equally fiddly to fix and no better than the others at stopping the keys from pinging off when users jam them in docking stations like big drunk apes. I'm running out of donor boards with the keys I need. The best one I found just now:

Two different clips on one board. :psyduck:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Good fun to remember that Windows Update no longer works with the default version of IE that comes with XP (v8 is it?) and you have to jump through all kinds of hoops to manually patch the windows update process and IE to get it up to a minimum level to where you can then run windows update.

We still have a bunch of XP machines and reinstalling them from disk was a nightmare before I started carrying IE8 and SP3 on a pen drive.

Pissing me off: lovely web-based applications. Our HR admin system only works properly in IE8 or it throws up error messages everywhere, so I have to keep telling people to run newer versions in compatibility mode. This was annoying enough in IE9 and 10, but 11 got rid of the compatibility symbol by the address bar, so I spent the first week after IE11 arrived telling people how to put it back on through the toolbar (because no one read the email we sent). The company behind the system has no intention of making it compatible with newer versions.
Barclays Bank is even worse. The have a card reader that only works in IE8 and even compatibility mode doesn't work. And you can't install IE8 on a Win7 computer or uninstall IE as a program. You have to go into programs and features, view installed updates, uninstall IE11 then restart. Then do it again for IE10. Then do it again for IE9. For every user who needs to use the card reader. This is the seventh largest bank in the world.

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 18, 2013

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

BurgerQuest posted:

I thought the point of server 2013 is you generally would never actually install it with a UI at all? Given it's Win8 codebase, I'm not surprised the UI is 'modern', I'm just surprised it was installed by whoever set the server up.

*-not a server admin

You can switch back and forth from the core install and GUI if you're more comfortable using the latter to make changes. I've only had a play about on a lab server, but I don't think the GUI is that bad (2012 R2).

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

It's a one way path, afaik. If you install the GUI version you can switch to the core interface but if you install core you can't get the GUI.

You can reinstall the GUI with powershell.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

I'm not in IT, and not entirely sure which thread to post this in, but I saw this today and it seemed a bit off.

Hopefully the unplugged ones are the ends of the same cable abandoned in place.

The other week, I visited a remote office to install a PoE switch and some new WAPs:

I didn't have time do do anything about it, so I had to put the new switch in and leave it like that. At least I documented it was a mess, so it will be sorted at somepoint.

no it won't

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Another bank holiday weekend, another million forgotten passwords to reset.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Lareous posted:

EDIT: Oh and of COURSE it only works in IE.

None of ours work in anything other than IE8.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Most of our users' laptops are thin clients that can't save anything to the hard drive. When a user is suspended one of the higher level managers tells us to lock their laptops up pending the inquiry. Every time I patiently explain there is no point and other people need that laptop. Every time I get told to lock it away anyway. So it sits in the server room for months until she's forgotten about it and we quietly give it to someone else.

Same person locks herself out of the HR system by mistyping her password about once a month and angrily tells us to fix the system (which we didn't develop and don't manage).

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

hihifellow posted:

I had a user ask me where the enter key was in a keyboard yesterday :shrug:

I've had:
"How do I do 'central alt delete?'"
"What's a colon?"
"What's an exclamation mark?"
"What's the shift key?"

Last one was pretty funny. A coworker was on at least the fourth call from one user who kept locking themselves out of the system by getting their password wrong and was becoming very frustrated. Turned out there was a symbol character in the password and she used caps lock in place of the shift key.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Volmarias posted:

How did they type the symbol if they were using caps lock as shift when they made the password? :psyduck:

It was a password we gave her. They're prompted to change them after they log in successfully.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Tailored Sauce posted:

"Do the needful" and "gentle reminder". I hate them. I hate them both.

"Bear with me" just because I hear it so many times a day.
"I'm ready to throw it out the window" as frequently said by users stressing out and frustrated because a piece of equipment isn't working. A recent example:

:byodood: Hi I can't get on the system I've been trying all morning and I've got so much work to do I've turned the laptop off and on loads of times I've restarted the router loads of times and I'm about to throw this computer out the window!
:) Do you get an error message when you try to log in?
:byodood: Yes it says my password's expired!
:) ... I'll get that for you.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

HR have organized an employee deal where staff can buy iphones, ipads and laptops for a not very good discount. Fine, nothing to do with us. Except a whole bunch of staff asked for them to be delivered to head office and HR told us to store them in the server room (the only large secure room on site) until they're picked up. My manager OKd this.

Now we have a bunch of peoples' personal belongings cluttering up our server room. Some of these have been sitting there for a month or more. Why would you ask for a package to be delivered to an office you never visit? Why would you wait so long to pick up your new stuff (especially as these are mostly low earners and expensive toys)? At least one item belongs to someone who says they've collected what they ordered and of course we'll get blamed when something isn't there that should be.

Most of these people don't have company phones or email and we're now doing detective work trying to find out who and where they are.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just got some Fujitsus in

That's the ethernet port. It pulls out and flips upwards and is super flimsy.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Pissing me off: 1 to 1 with more that 2 people

The meeting room was busy, so my boss had my 1 to 1 in his office, which he shares with another manager (not mine). I guess because he wasn't planning chewing me out for anything he felt it didn't matter there was an audience, but 1) there were sensitive things I wanted to discuss, such as the pay increase he'd mentioned a few months back and been evasive about ever since*, and 2) I really don't want a third party hearing your appraisal of my performance, even if it is all positive.

*I brought it up anyway and he gave me another "let's review next month" answer. :geno:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

For some reason Fujitsu really like PS/2 keyboards and often ship new desktops with them. Mice are USB. :shrug:

Don't buy Fujitsus.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Come on, guys, they're just regular people trying to put food on the table. They probably hate their jobs just as much you hate them but if it's that or unemployment, can you blame them?

:smith:

If you turn down jobs you're capable of doing, you lose your unemployment benefits.
I took a sales job once., because it was that or go homeless, and it was the worst period of my life. Long hours, sub-minimum wage pay* and everyone treated you as fair game for abuse. Whenever I feel down working in support, I think back to those days and things don't seem so bad. I'm polite to sales people.

*Someone complained to the authorities and we all got letters asking if we wanted to come forward but of course no one did

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

beepsandboops posted:

Our last desktop support guy quit in October, and his replacement just started at the end of last year. However, this morning the new guy put his 2 weeks' in. My boss in out on family leave, meaning that I'm the only guy here.

I'm hoping I can take over the hiring process so it doesn't take another 2 months to fill an entry-level position.

At my last place, a recent hiring I saw took about two months from ad going out to guy being hired. The ad had a map showing us located in Kuala Lumpur instead of Scotland. Ad company claimed they couldn't change that. Fortunately the one guy who turned up for an interview was quite good.

When I left, I had to give two months' notice (it was not a high ranking job by any means) and my replacement wouldn't start until a month after that. Funny story; there were two candidates with the same name. Steve1 passed the phone interview, Steve2 failed. It was Steve2 that was invited to (and subsequently got) the job. We speculated the admin person got mixed up because her recent messy breakup was also to someone called Steve.
Anyway, co-workers were showing Steve2 around and asking questions like, 'did it take you long to travel from [steve1's town]?' and asking if he planned to relocate when he already lived in the city the job where the job was based. Wonder if he'll ever find out he failed the first interview.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Alighieri posted:

I just don't allow zip files, if you need a file that needs to be zipped up, dropbox/use any of the 124325125 free file host services for that poo poo. I don't trust my users to not open random zip files. Most other file/non-image types are blocked as well. Then again we have just 15 people in the office.

Exchange 2013 onwards can tell the file types inside a zip file and block accordingly. We set it to do that with .js files about a year ago and touch wood haven't had a single crypto mail reach a user

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Mac users pissing me off. So whiny and entitled.
One person, generally very nice, has been huffing and puffing and woe-is-meing because we replaced her old mac with a windows machine - a nice one: Lattitude with an SSD and 8 gigs of ram, but it's far too slow for her (all she uses is Office) so under pressure from her boss, now we have to provide a mac.

There are maybe 20 mac users and ~400 windows users and it feels like both groups generate the same number of tickets

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

go3 posted:

You will know your place, resource.

My last job used Connectwise for ticketing and it took a moment for me to realise that "resource" meant person.
It was actually a good place to work in general, but I hate being called a resource like I was printer toner or something.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Cranky old owner HATES coffee.

He sends out some crazy email from time to time. Read rule #3

Have a nice day! :)
gently caress you :mad:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

We're finally leaving our lovely old hosted email providers and moving to 365. Unfortunately this can't be done without some user input (one of the main ways old providers were lovely was the limited admin powers we had) so we have to get everyone to do an impossibly difficult series of tasks:

Read email sent by migration tool
click link
enter password

There were four separate emails explaining this was coming. It's been exactly as painful as I expected.
The system sends a new nagging email every day and now on day five there's still ~1/4 of the userbase who haven't bothered. One of them was available on lync today:

10am: :) Hi, did you receive your migration email?
[...]
1.25pm: :geno: yes. Do I need to need to do it today?
1.25pm: :) That would be great thanks! It's just a web link to submit your password.
1.35pm: :geno: what password do I need?
1.35pm: :) Your email password. If you don't know it I can reset it.
[...]
2.30: :) Hi, I see you've not yet sumbitted your password, do you need it reset?
[...]
3pm :geno: Is this something that can wait until Tuesday, I leave at 3.30. What password do I need?
3.pm: :what: Your email password. If you don't know it I can reset it. We would really appreciate it if you could do it today as the mail migration can't proceed until everyone has done this. All you need to do is click the link in the email and enter the password on the webpage.
[...]
3.30pm: :geno: status: offline

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

It will no doubt come to that. Of course the directors and other top brass are the worst offenders.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Another day chasing users over Lync for the mail migration.

:) Hi, have you received any emails asking for your credentials for the mail migration
:geno: no
:) That's odd, it hasn't gone in your junk mail by any chance?
:geno: my email hasn't worked since the 12th of August.
:raise: Would you like me to look at that?
:geno: that would be great.
:) OK, please click this support link [link]
:geno: status: offline

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 29, 2016

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

nielsm posted:

You just told the user "I'll fix that for you, your involvement not needed."

Ha, had to double check my wording in the message logs in case it was this, but my exact words were "would you like me to remote on and take a look". Also he disconnected like 10 minutes after I sent the link.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: I've talked to young folks that were aghast when I told them that you used to be able to smoke on airplanes. For those of you that don't remember it was as disgusting as it sounds.

My favourite little fact about the Hindenburg is that it had a smoking room.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

"Domain controller" has imperialist overtones imo

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

We recently took over another company's IT. Their IT guy set their office of about 50 people with a 10.x.x.x/8 network

IP ADDRESSES FOR EVERYONE :byodood:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Apparently they might have to uninstall (then reinstall) our corporate antivirus software (Symantec) to get Acrobat installed, rather than just disabling or whitelisting the installer.

My IT department :allears:

Symantec is awful. Used it for AV two jobs ago and backups last job. The clients with Symantec backup and recovery also backed up to buffalo NASs

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Lesson learned today: the longer you stare at a problem the stupider you get. Take a break.

I needed to make a bulk change in AD - two groups of external contacts needed their proxy address attribute changed. The correct address was already in the mail field so I figured it would be super easy to do in powershell (I'm a total beginner).
I spent a stupid long time on it before giving up and doing the big group (~70 accounts) by hand and going for a walk in a mood.

I came back and saw my mistake - the attribute is called proxyadresses not proxyaddress. It was telling me right there in the error messages.

Well I automated the poo poo out of those last 10 accounts. :mad:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

xzzy posted:

My solution is to post about it on the internet. The time spent typing it up and collecting information usually gives my brain time to chew on the problem. 9 times of 10 I figure out the solution right about the point I finish. On good days I never submit the post and delete it. On bad days I make the post and 20 seconds later edit it with "nevermind, figured it out."

:downs:

Oh good, it's not just me that does that.

Just the act of typing up the steps I've taken so far will often give me the answer.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

365 migration complete, old hosted platform deleted.

Two users so far failed to read the email saying deleted emails wouldn't be migrated and they kept important poo poo there.

One's been super obnoxious about it even though we got his items back from his old outlook profile.
He wants us to guarantee nothing will ever be deleted again. Tough poo poo guy, new retention policy is 30 days.
He also insisted he needs two email accounts rather than one with two aliases for security reasons. Can't think what those might be but gently caress it whatever - that's how it was set up on the old system and I'm not paying for the licences so fine you can be the only non-director with two accounts if I don't have to interact with you any more.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Fudge posted:

Give him aliases or a shared mailbox if you don't want to use licenses.

Edit: oh wait he already has aliases lol. Why the hell would anyone need that???

Edit 2: like seriously what security concerns could there possibly be that would warrant an end user to have two mailboxes? And are you using AD sync and now have an end user with two AD accounts??

One account is synched with AD, the other is not but the one that is has full access rights to it so if anyone knew his domain credentials they could just access both using outlook.
The password is the same for both accounts anyway, because it's the one he wants set for everything, so our whole department knows it and I know he's going to be pissed in a few months when the new password policy forces him to change it and won't let him reuse the existing one.

The mail migration was the single biggest part of this year's single sign on project (though there were many good reasons to ditch that hosted provider) and he's bitched every time an app has been added to the list that use domain credentials because he already used the same password for everything so the very concept is stupid.

I dislike him. For security reasons.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

If you have Mac users with Adobe apps then how the gently caress do you get them working with the shower of poo poo that is Egnyte's SMB shares?

What issues have you had with Egnyte? We were considering moving to them next year.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm at a remote site for a few days. The old site manager was a hoarder so one of my tasks is to sort out what IT kit is worth keeping. Highlights include:

A box full of PCI cards. Coax, parallel, you name it.

A box of circuit boards. I don't know what any of them are from, but I love West German craftsmanship.

Bunch of switches and hubs and whatever the gently caress a spiderintegrator pico is.

Oh it's a router and it has a recent config backup :)

The mouse is probably somewhere around here

Dunno if I can bring myself to throw out this old fellow

Fuckin love this

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Wibla posted:

I might have some hoarder genes, but I have a T1000SE and I'm not throwing it out ever. I'm getting one of those metal/glass display cabinets when I'm moving next, guess where the T1000SE is going.

I guess what I'm saying is: Don't throw it out. Those old things are pretty neat for what they are.

I ended up putting it in the 'keep' pile :shobon:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Things I've gotten used to in Windows 10 whose absence pisses me off when I have to troubleshoot a windows 7 machine:

reset windows feature
right clicking on the start button for all the admin tools
connect to wifi before logging on

There are probably others

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

What's the most annoying piece of poo poo to be bundled with a computer? My vote is HP protect tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

It's fun to stay in touch with old workmates and find out what's pissing them off.

Last workplace: my replacement pisses whole team off.
He's lazy and incompetent and rude to everyone but jumps on the easy tickets so his metrics look OK.
He has bicycle handlebars and leather straps delivered to his desk because he makes sex toys with them and wants everyone to know.
He horks down his lunch and then pukes up in the toilet beside the main office.
They hired him accidentally because he has the same first name as the guy they'd meant to invite back for the second interview.

Two workplaces ago: mail migration pissing whole company off.
They had on prem exchange and are moving to 365.
Person who told me isn't technical, but it seems they're doing the whole thing manually with .pst uploads. :psyduck:
IT team of 4, userbase of ~2k (of which 400 or so are daily users) They've been at it for weeks.