Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

flosofl posted:

loving have a prima donna at work.

Sounds like a person I work with. Also sounds like my abnormal psych textbook's list of symptoms for narcissistic personality disorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

luminalflux posted:

Pissing me off: No espresso coffee. We've got normal coffee but that doesn't work well in the espresso machine. I'm staring down the barrel of a day without caffeine send ha;lp

We have coffee makers but no coffee. Or paper cups, plates, or utensils. There was literally a building wide email saying these things would no longer be provided due to hard economic times. This was immediately followed by an email proudly proclaiming record revenue and new government contacts awarded.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sickening posted:

They have a people employed whose sole job is to get people to commit security violations? I am pretty sure that sounds like an annoying place to work.

It's common in places where security actually matters. A lot of major US defense contractors get hit by serious, no-poo poo probable state actor hacking attempts literally daily. Any place that requires a clearance is likely to have a honeypot squad.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sickening posted:

Except you add the human element and the thing that looks so good on paper suddenly can be headache. Its probably my twisted view on things because I lack basically any respect for security concentrated jobs due to me never actually working with one that was remotely competent. I am looking forward to the day where I do though.

Out of curiosity, what industry do you work in?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

slightpirate posted:

anyone know how to take data from an excel document and auto populate fields in a .pdf file without manually copy/pasting them repeatedly?

Xlsx files are actually renamed zips containing a bunch of XML. There are tons of libraries for reading from them. You can also do it with built-in stuff in .Net.

If you meant "... without writing code" then idk.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My two bosses are in different companies. My machine has Visual FoxPro installed.

My phone has FoxPro in its autocorrect dictionary.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bigass Moth posted:

Interns in my experience are relatives of the executives. Are you going to tell the cfo his son is lazy?

No, but I'd tell the CFO his son hasn't completed anything assigned to him.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bob Morales posted:

Stop magically taking over the PDF association, Microsoft Edge. Quit asking if I want to try you or make you the default.

Actually, go away completely, Microsoft Edge. Nobody likes you, nobody wants you.

I have some stuff at work that only works in Edge or IE. And some other stuff that only works in IE. I'd be quite happy about the latter receiving Edge support.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Wibla posted:

drat, such a shame you won't be there for the first 2 hours of that meeting!

Anything important enough to take up six loving hours is important enough to plan out ahead of time, including asking people about availability. I cannot imagine being such an rear end in a top hat that I not only demand most of a person's day, but don't even bother checking what their day actually is.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Thanks Ants posted:

Even if you're starting at the beginning of someone's day, people need to take lunch at some point

Thanks to my team being spread across the entire country I occasionally end up with solid meetings from ten till two. Those are easy to plan around: you either eat a late breakfast or you prepare lunch ahead of time. What's infuriating is when you have a meeting from ten to eleven and another from twelve to one, and then some shitbird tries to schedule something between the two at like 9:45. No, gently caress you, I'm not attending.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

We have an an engineering company as a client and they use the loving MAPS that Florida State University made of water tables or whatever the gently caress ten years ago that will no longer run because they're all made in flash. I explained to this guy on the phone that it's on the university to update them or not and that there's nothing I can do for them on that end. He called back and chewed me out because the FSU people told him he could just "install an old version of firefox" and when I tried to explain that not only was this a horrible idea and I couldn't do it for him even if I wanted to, our Security Policies wouldn't allow it in the first place. He's currently telling my boss what a worthless piece of poo poo i am

Is he doing that thing all the best assholes do where he talks at length about how aggrieved he is and how you couldn't help him one bit, but not actually saying exactly what happened, almost as if he knows that'd make him look dumb?

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 15, 2021

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bitterandtwisted posted:

we had a townhall meeting on corporate values that I didn't realise was compulsory until after it had started so I had nothing prepared and contributed nothing. So some fucker volunteered me to do a video presentation on what we'd learned on the theme of "passionate"

fucksake :effort:

"I am passionate about my work. That's why I've been too busy to make a presentation."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Yeah, that sounds like the person isn't just tech illiterate, they've never read kafka.

DelphiAegis posted:

Doesn't the god mode from Windows 7 also working Windows 10? That makes the settings a whole lot easier to manage as well if you really want to go that path, for home use.

I am absolutely baffled that you think anyone would have a clue what you meant by "the god mode."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

xzzy posted:

My icon in slack is a drawing of a rat in a cage, I am actually 13 years old and think this is very funny and clever.

No one's ever commented on it though.

For years my Teams icon was a nu from Chrono Trigger. Then I moved to a different team and they demanded an actual photo. I never voluntarily take pictures of myself. I actively avoid being in pictures taken by others. So now my icon is a selfie I took drunk the night after we were required to have pictures. You go down the team list and it's all nice looking portraits in dress clothes, and then me grinning maniacally, in weird lighting at a Dutch angle. I've received complements.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Iron Rose posted:

It’s really funny how quickly my position on “devs vs IT” switched once I joined the evil side. I’ve been jerked around on getting a service account for terraform for pagerduty for a month because they don’t want to give devs access to service accounts. setting aside the sheer inconsistent hilarity, it’s pure idiocy considering the alternative to putting said service account’s API key into secrets manager is making every dev an admin who needs to generate and manage their own keys.

Their compromise is to give me the API key directly because they don’t want to “give direct access to service accounts” :laffo:

Should I enlighten them?

I've run into this a bunch, like IT pushing updates on multiple occasions that broke Visual Studio or one of the frameworks we rely on, then taking literally an entire day to respond to tickets. Come on, guys, you can either lock down our machines or be unresponsive. If you try both you're going to have a team of reasonably smart people devoting 100% of their faculties (because they can't do anything else constructive) to putting together shadow IT to bypass the problem.

Whenever I've had a tech in my cube (in the beforetimes) to diagnose or fix poo poo he's politely ignored my desktop having two taskbars.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sickening posted:

Well, there is only so deep someone can go. Shadow IT in our world would have be groups of people using totally separate, non-managed machines on totally separate networks, with totally separate email systems. They would also have to get around talking about it in any managed system or speak in code. They would have to manage to not get caught despite C-level leaders strictly outlawing it in written policy written this calendar year.

Its entirely possible, just not likely. Users are lazy. Devs aren't as smart as they think they are and are also lazy.

Bad news for IT people on both those points. :v:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

getting my boss in the same space as me is the only way I can make them pay attention to what I'm asking for. I get most of my work done in the 2h each week after a meeting with them

once I've stopped crying

The magical thing about being bad at multitasking is that one doesn't know how bad they're loving everything up. I've had bosses where I felt like I needed the Van Halen M&M trick to make sure I wasn't getting hosed by the boss misreading stuff and giving me bad instructions.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mr. Fix It posted:

someone at my company pegged me as a goon just for writing out "it is a mystery" and "mystery solved". i've probably got some folks suspicious because i added :thunk: to our chat software and use that as my avatar everywhere. better sort of suspicion than if i still branded myself with the gadsden flag (forgive me, it just meant cranky and defiant and not outright fascist when i started working here)

I might have told this story before, but I used a nu from Chrono Trigger as my avatar for ages. Then upper management decided we should all use pictures of ourselves. I just...didn't, and no one noticed until 8:30pm on a Friday an unknown number of drinks into the evening, at which point an HR puke somehow got my cell number and texted me that I needed to deal with it immediately. So my photo is a badly cropped and crooked selfie taken in bad lighting while wearing a black shirt. The entire team is subjected daily to my disembodied head leering maniacally from their teams window.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bob Morales posted:

My last job....

They also use VB6 sooo

Did the vb6 project use visual FoxPro? :haw:

My first job out of college had the vb6-VSS-foxpro trifecta. At one point I complained about it and a coworker produced a book for MS Clipper and said "count your blessings." That was, uh, a long time ago but not THAT long. I wonder how many companies out there are running critical resources in DosBox on a server. There's no way it's zero.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bull3964 posted:

In my experience.

1) They spent half the day shambling about trying to fix it themsleves and then hosed off to lunch.
2) Someone then got on their case at about 2:30pm about them not getting the work done.
3) They spend the next half hour giving it one final ditch effort, but fail because they completely and totally don't understand what the real problem is
4) Feeling vindicated that they aren't able to resolve it on their own, they have an hour long conference call with stakeholders to discus "next steps" and "business impact"
5) The "outcomes" of that "war room" are to escalate
6) 20 minutes are taken to wordsmith an email to make it not look like their fault for not escalating sooner

lol I've done it a few times. What usually happens is I get saddled with something outside of my wheelhouse for one reason or another, and I don't know enough to troubleshoot the part of the documentation that's out of date, or the server I can't talk to. I realize I'm going nowhere fast, and ask the boss who the person is who's responsible for this poo poo normally, because I'm a C# Windows dev who's being forced to gently caress with linux configs.

Anyway, I email that person, but they and I don't share a common boss until like five goddamn steps up the org chart and the email gets prioritized accordingly. Then some time in the afternoon I give a status update to my boss so it doesn't look like I've taken a day-long jerk-off session, and the boss deigns to follow up my email, at which point the person I originally contacted responds to keep it from growing into an even bigger pain in the rear end. And the response is a one-liner to the effect of "that's not my job, contact _______ instead" that they could have sent hours ago but didn't. So the whole process ends with a late afternoon email that makes me look like a moron.

This problem was even worse when the VPN we're required to use to get at the dev environment blocked Outlook and Teams, meaning you could work OR communicate, but not both.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bob Morales posted:

I could swear I read an article on The Atlantic about why you shouldn't

The primary purpose of those articles is to make people anxious and insecure so they come back for more advice. None of that piddly poo poo matters in a way that can inform your actions.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My, like, second assignment as a professional programmer blew up a demo that my boss's boss was giving to the client, his boss, and his boss. The error entirely corrupted the data.

It turned out the bug I introduced was the result of bad info from my boss, and I had receipts. But until I figured that out I wanted to die. My entire career up to that point was like two and a half weeks.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

tango alpha delta posted:

This is a classic CYA move. Just lean into it because it might help you down the line.

It's also a way to signal to your boss you're taking something seriously if they've abruptly decided something is an emergency. Unless the contents of the email are pissy or I knew I hosed up, I wouldn't read it as anything directed at me.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SlowBloke posted:

EU is likely to finally ratify the maligned DMA act, along with DSA( https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news...ine-environment ). The first is to let anyone get in into every core service from apple/google/facebook/whatever it counts as big tech, meaning that theoretically steam/apple app store/etc. cannot no longer hold their monopolies. DSA is something i've never heard until now, it makes every law concerning sale of real products and services apply to the web, meaning that if any weird law from the last century blocking whatever applies to your web firm, you are hosed and you need it to kill it yesterday.

Why it pisses me off? Because one of the doom scenarios is that ios must allow third party stores, and it's going to be a malware infestation to every parent/grandparent you made switch to iphones, cause they will click on every pop up and install whatever they push via banner/notification.

Does this mean there could potentially be an Android iMessage client?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sirotan posted:

The worst part about Windows 11 is their refusal to allow you to have text labels on your taskbar icons, or to have separate tabs/icons when you have multiple windows open for the same application. Yes I know its because they redeveloped the taskbar from the ground up blah blah blah, it's not a loving dock and I don't want to have to click an icon to get back to one of my multiple browser windows.

Yes I guess it's coming but roll out faster dammit!

I'll believe it's coming when I see it on my machine. How long did it take to release their half baked tabbed explorer that still doesn't let you drag tabs between windows etc?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arquinsiel posted:

The tech lead has started to remove bullet point formatting from everything... :negative:

Why?? That's just such a weird thing to do. It's a little like going through an essay and removing all the paragraph breaks. Of course, some goons post like that...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Agrikk posted:

Finally got around to trying Windows 11 on my laptop and I already hate it. I mean yeah, it's a spiffy new look and they've replaced the spinning dots on the startup screen with a solid line but

WTF Microsoft? Right-click - copy / right-click paste has been an option forever. This is where you decide to make changes?

Funny not funny how whenever I install a new Windows version I have to spend weeks putting everything back.

/luddite

I don't mind copy/paste being icons, but the icon bar moving to the other end of the context menu depending on where you right clicked is maddening.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Our ticketing system has text rendering issues in Firefox that reliably makes "clicked" look like "dicked."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cyks posted:

They all say that.

and then you ask "prove it doesn't work in Edge" and when they go to show you and it actually DOES work, they'll come back "well yeah but it works better in Chrome!!!"

That one's code for "the devs and testers all use chrome and no one with the power to force the issue gives a poo poo." I've been on teams like that, typically as the only Firefox user. :twisted:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Fool posted:

SMART goals are obnoxious but easy enough to bullshit

I have this personality quirk where I absolutely cannot bullshit things like that. It takes forever because the entire thing is such a stupid waste of time for a job where I work on dev tickets I'm assigned. My one and only goal is to complete tickets. What the gently caress else goal could I have? So everything I come up with sounds jokey and/or passive aggressive.

Now I'm at a job that just doesn't do performance reviews. It's great.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Che Delilas posted:

You and I both know that they would make the meetings anyway, the agendas would just be indecipherable messes.

"Agenda: TBD"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bull3964 posted:

Not trying to start an argument mind you, I'm just curious about this because it seems like there's a different definition of privacy. I'm as anti-employee monitoring as they get, but I'm having trouble with the concept that monitoring activity on an asset that you don't own is a violation of privacy as long as it's not doing something like recording audio or flipping the webcam on (since that's gathering information outside of the controlled asset).

Europe literally has laws that say employers can't do certain things even though they own the machines. It's that simple. The software being able to access anyone's data is irrelevant until access actually occurs. The courts and follow-up legislation deal with the particulars of special cases like software making automated disciplinary or pay raise decisions based on info the law deems private.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 30, 2023

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BaseballPCHiker posted:

15+ years ago at my first helpdesk job my boss would take every single call in an effort to appear busy and to flirt with and harass women sales people. He often bought poo poo if they flirted back!

He was later fired for photoshopping nudes of our CEO.

Any idea where he is now? Because I see great things in his future.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Would it surprise you to learn he was a morbidly obese man in his 60’s? He died probably 10 years ago if I recall correctly.

He actually started out as a radio engineer in the 70s before going into IT. He was a real piece of poo poo overall but he did help me get my ham license so I’ll give him some credit there.

Thank you for giving me closure.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Combat Pretzel posted:

I hope this person gets hit by a meteorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Fool posted:

it's this

you are likely the only person that doesn't make them afraid to ask questions

It's absolutely this. Newbies gravitate toward the people who they can get a good read on, who seem safe, even if they're not the ideal place to get an answer. They especially avoid people who send mixed signals, like insisting they're happy to help then giving monosyllable answers hours late; who unpredictably loop extra people into email chains; or who aren't reliably discreet about "is the boss serious about [policy]" type questions.

Basically, newbies coming to you with questions outside of your area is a complement, indicating you treat them like fellow humans, and give off vibes of having a healthy perspective and not being a corporate bootlicker. You can repel them by adjusting your vibes. Orrrr you can cultivate those relationships and leverage them as a personal spy network, or to serve as fake managers if a later position wants boss references but your boss was an rear end in a top hat or whatever.