Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Humphreys posted:

What is the average cost of paying your way out of cryptolocker if you don't mind me asking? I like your idea, if only for the ratio of time taken to restore vs sending moneypak.

I haven't read about it since it was originally released but at that time it was around $400 (or equivalent in bitcoins).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Commodore 64 posted:

Vacation chat: Taking 4 days off next week to see my sister in MI. I'm also taking a 3 day weekend to Milwaukee/New Glarus to see Mānran and pick up beer, meat and cheese. Once Uppermost gets his visa sorted out I'm going to see him play in Denver and take a few days off for that. Then it's going to

Taking a vacation not only helps your mind, but, in my case, also reminds people what you do.

I took 2 weeks off in August last year and went to Scotland for Runrig, the Edinburgh Fringe and as much of the cities and Highlands as I could. Passport, backpack, toothbrush and bounced from hostel to hotel. Drank amazing whisky, made friends from all over the world and saw amazing sights. Best 2 weeks of my life.

I come back and get a promotion. Turns out I do a lot and it took me being gone and poo poo falling to my boss to realize that! It's one thing to provide metrics and reports. Another thing when poo poo starts breaking and it's on your doorstep!

Pissing me off: My boss has a fear of SSD's. He's warming up to them for laptops, but doesn't want to use them in our desktop refresh.

"Life spans!"
*ignores our failed trad. Seagate HD's*
*thinks Crucial/OCZ SSD's are just like Samsung/Intel SSD's*

If he's willing to look at data instead of just assume stuff, show him this article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/samsung-ssd-840-evo-review-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/3

The estimated lifespan in years assumes more data written to the disk per day than you usually see, and then he's also pointed out that in practice the drives usually last longer than the base data he's making the chart from, so that's pretty must worst-case. Your boss could get 1tb disks and he might be dead before they stop working (63 year estimated lifespan?)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I never thought I'd be buying bitcoins of all the goddamn idiotic poo poo for work to unlock a machine with cryptowall and insufficient offsite backups, but here we are. At least I'm not personally paying for any of this nonsense. Bitcoin businesses must be making a killing off of cryptowall.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Scaramouche posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck vendor api is returning $0 as the price on every product $8000 products are being listed as $40 FML FML FML

I wish to order infinity of your finest $0 items. I will get mad at some poor phone monkey when you cancel my order due to a price mistake.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chalets the Baka posted:

It's real, and it's less about management and oversight than it is about control and asserting authority. We go into the room, present ourselves to the CTO, who then goes last after all of us and speaks only in buzzwords. My ears ring every day with "take that offline", "ping them on this", "get that on your radar", "this will be a game changer", "get them in the loop on this", and other poo poo I really can't comprehend anymore.

It's amazing that technical terms are now buzzwords instead of just overused ones like synergy or paradigm. A face to face meeting is by definition offline. Pings are icmp echo requests. I tend to be baffled when I find people using those terms incorrectly until I figure out what the hell they are trying to say because I am mostly get exposed to the correct usage.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MF_James posted:

I guess this is what it comes down to, I feel like it is something a person that does not understand IT in general to say something like this, how do I internets and all that kind of stuff.

I also realize it's pretty dumb that it bothered me so much, but it just did...

Ultimately you'll probably just have to get over it. However if he says something absurd in the future you may want to point it out in a way that makes him realize he's using the word wrong without being insulting about it. Che Dalilas' example is exactly how I'd like to handle a situation like that however the perfect response is often hard to find until way after it would be useful.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Super Slash posted:

I may convert the server room into a museum where people can marvel at our vast array of useless European power connectors, pristine condition!

Pretty much everyone I've spoken to isn't interested in taking a bunch of plastic crappy crap (eg. monitor stand, plastic clips), metal could be possible but most scrappers want cars or big stuff, not a box of desk clamps.

I'd just stash it somewhere in an IT storage area for vague "future usefulness" and make a calendar entry to throw that poo poo away in a couple of months when they've forgotten about it. I think your finance manager was just looking for an excuse to order you around for not immediately kowtowing to their whims.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

A contractor setting up a VPN that I'm handholding, in response to a question about the setup: "I'm a bit of a network wizard. I just run the wizards to set up everything up." I went from a smile to frown pretty fast and I think he noticed.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MANime in the sheets posted:

Is the WD Green hate just because they're cheap and cheaply made, or is there more to it? I mean, I'd never buy one either way, but we sold a lot in Geek Squad, so I'm curious.

They wear out earlier because of the aggressive head parking built into their firmware. You used to be able to change that behavior with some DOS utility put out by WD but I'm not sure if that's still a thing (also even if it is, I'd be amazed if 1% of people ever do it).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Inkjets that cost under $200 are made to be disposable because the manufacturers make all of their money from the ink and they don't care if the printer only lasts a year or two because they usually have a one year warranty. For something reliable get a decent low end laser printer. I think Brother was pretty popular in the old printer thread. Inkjets are kind of unavoidable if you want to print your own photos at home but you could always take them to a print shop or get them done online and avoid the inkjet hassle altogether if you were so inclined.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Well, this just happened:

Found out my NAS A/C plug melted...
What's the cheapest way to run a plex server these days?

Everyone in the Plex Megathread has different setups but the inexpensive Lenovo and Dell servers like the T30 or TS140 tend to be popular. They're 200-300 bucks for a pentium or i3, 400-500 with a quad core xeon.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

hihifellow posted:

Eat poo poo Azure, next time don't advertise the NV series as being available in a region then lock people out of them, if I have to tear down this project and rebuild it in another region I will tear your data centers apart with my bear hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHambDDVhFQ

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I was running a few network drops for a client the other day. A lot of the rooms haven't been used much in the last 15-20 years. I can only hope the drop ceilings didn't have too much asbestos. Finding this sweet sticker on top of a rusty steel cabinet was the most entertaining part of the day. I doubt anyone who's not very tall knows it's there.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

bull3964 posted:

It's a warning.

Welcome to "you're" Doom!

The basement that it's in was designed as a bomb shelter so that works.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

No power this weekend, guess I can't work on this laptop or those VMs! Downside is generator maintenance and only cold water.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I feel better when I throw up after poisoning.

I thought you could afford a royal taster by now.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bob Morales posted:

You guys ever run cable at a bank? They're built like...a bank. You need a hammerdrill and huge drill bits.

I wall mounted a tv in a basement with reinforced concrete walls. A hammer drill wasn't cutting it and one hole took 20+ minutes (with some stops to let the bit cool). To finish it I ended up borrowing a rotary hammer. It was super easy with that, though!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

pixaal posted:

Looks like it's only in China right now, I can't imagine they wouldn't bring it to US / EU, if they don't give it a few months and importers will post them on eBay.
They're way ahead of you:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-New-Mode-l-Logitech-MX518-Legendary-Classic-Gaming-Mouse-16000DPI-HERO-/183523725403

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

No, I don't want your falcon to perch on my monitor.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've been using Nvidia RTX voice filtering for zoom. It helps kill non voice noises on the input.
https://twitter.com/barnacules/status/1252892844198490118?lang=en

Time to expense an RTX video card to the company.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanks Ants posted:

Seeing a new piece of (usually network) hardware released and the USB serial console is on a Mini-B connector. Not even Micro USB, or Type C which would be more appropriate for a new device, but a notoriously poo poo connector that nothing else has used for over ten years.

Do companies like Juniper and Cisco have millions of the ports in stock and don't want to waste them or something?

Some people like them because they're sturdier than micro. I'd prefer everyone to switch to USB-C but it still feels like that's living in the future as far as a lot of companies are concerned.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Internet Explorer posted:

Edge's market share went from 0 to more than Firefox's in like 6 months. I would expect to see pretty significant growth as Microsoft abuses their monopoly to push it further.

I wonder if the market share calculation included 80% of the users in small businesses I support who thought old Edge was just "the internet."

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Nope, just Edge Chromium, released in January.

Oh you mean the internet?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

joebuddah posted:

Where the hell would I download a legit copy of IE 5.5/6?

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/internet-explorer/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bob Morales posted:

200mb video file is not going to be emailed

Can't share on one drive because the other people aren't gcc high

This law firm doesn't have some place to send a big file? We might have to use sendfile or what we

Law firm It guy thinks we can just covert to MOV and send it

With lossy enough compression it is possible to fit in an email. The result may be hard to watch.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Agrikk posted:

Better not leave home without my printer cable. You never know when I might have to print to a strange printer. Better to have my own.

That's just so you can Laplink two computers together to move files. You know, for the guy who forgot his ethernet card driver disk.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bob Morales posted:

Boomers call SSD's 'static drives'

One guy I worked for couldn't remember the acronym so he called them stainless steel drives.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There have been a ton of those fake Ukraine support scammers so while it is in bad taste, it's also emulating an extremely common scam at the moment.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wibla posted:

I keep my microphone muted unless I'm about to say something. I guess I'm sorta broken from playing EVE for over a decade :v:

Yeah it's weird that both the old people and the young people missed the teamspeak/ventrilo heyday where always use push to talk was stressed so we didn't have to hear someone's SO yell at them while they were raiding or whatever. I do appreciate RTX voice to filter noise out. Nobody knows how loud my keyboard is.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It is, if you have STP on and configured properly.

But they said no more grunge rock in the conference rooms.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dick Trauma posted:

Why does this rack only have mounting holes drilled through the front of the post?

Holes as a service.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

frogbs posted:

Posted this in another thread, but I think it really belongs here:

God help me, I just inherited a PDF that has 7,000 lines of Javascript.

If it sucks, hit the bricks.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Fragrag posted:

Is there an equivalent of "Don't roll your own crypto" but for security cameras?

So my company moved and we're now sharing a location with another organisation. To get to our own premises we have to pass through them first. This week I came back from my holiday and I set up a small Ubiquiti camera system that covers our premises. Yesterday before I left for the weekend I activated the notifications on the system so it would send mails and push notifications if it detects movements at night. I also sent documentation to my colleagues on how to view the cameras and to set up the mobile app so they can get those notifications.

This morning I woke up to a poo poo ton of notifications detecting movement at 1:30 in the morning. :dogstare: Three guys had broken in and started to burgle the place. gently caress. Time to call everyone, download the footage and head to the office. We spent the whole day cataloguing losses, speaking with the police, and dealing with the fallout. While they did steal a considerable amount (a high-end gaming PC, an old iMac, my toolkit and drill that I brought in for the move and some other stuff), it could have been way way way worse.

Now our neighbor organisation is asking us if I could roll out some more cameras that will cover their premises and the general entries as well. I'm ok with running cables and hanging cameras, but at the same time I'm afraid it'll be too much for me to manage. I'm just a small-time developer/3D artist after all

I do IT stuff for some small businesses and while I'll sometimes touch their camera systems if they need a camera angle adjusted or network access with something on the LAN or something, I generally will defer to a vendor who will provide their employees for install and support. That way I'm less likely to be made to go to court if there's an incident the cameras cover, and I'm not the first point of contact if there's an issue with camera system.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I stupidly agreed to replace a SSD in a HP Folio laptop with this crazy attached leather outside cover. Step 1 is removing the screen which is held in with adhesive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQjmO8NiKgM

The upside is HP has disassembly videos for the whole thing, the downside is if I break the screen it's like $150 for the part and I only quoted the guy two hours which would barely cover that. I think I felt like it'd be a fun challenge but I also think HP making a laptop that can't have the SSD replaced without taking the whole thing apart makes it a stupid piece of poo poo laptop. It looks neat but what rear end in a top hat designed this thing. Things that aren't made to be fixed pisses me off.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Fool posted:

probably too late but ifixit has a screen repair kit for ipads that includes a heat pad and suction cups for removing adhesive attached displays

Yeah I've got most of the tools, it's just tedious and risks breaking the screen. Better to have a working laptop than one with a dead SSD, though.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

It's why I appreciate vendors who make things accessible, like laptops that have the little doors to access RAM or SSD/HDD slots. Makes no sense to have to take half the machine apart just to do an upgrade or repair one part.

Yeah, it's a real pain in the rear end. I got the thing apart without breaking the screen, put in a new SSD, put it back together (sans screen adhesive) and the bios doesn't see the new disk. Is the mainboard bad or do I just need to wiggle it in the m2 slot?

Took it apart again, somehow pulled the keyboard ribbon cable connector off the mainboard. Nothing seems to be broken it just needs some real fine soldering. I'm gonna do that tomorrow or later today if the caffeine shakes slow down. Will the disk work after that? Who knows, I hate this thing. I should've quoted gently caress you money to fix it since now I'm on my own time.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pour one out for the 10/100 8 port switch with 4 PoE ports that up and loving died when the power was cycled to a building over the weekend. I didn't install it and I don't know who the gently caress Pakedge is, but it lasted 9 or 10 years. It was lucky I had a spare tp-link gigabit equivalent on the shelf.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanks Ants posted:

Pakedge do (did?) high end AV gear for people's homes when they had too much money. Fairly sure the networking stuff was only ever a rebadging exercise.

It was in an AV rack so that makes sense. I think the AV company that set it up just exclusively buys from AV suppliers even if it doesn't make that much sense in all cases. I feel like they specced this place out to maximize profit so for example the "HD" cameras are some Lifesize 720p video conferencing cameras, but then they get used to record public meetings which look pretty bad in 2024.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanks Ants posted:

Pakedge do (did?) high end AV gear for people's homes when they had too much money. Fairly sure the networking stuff was only ever a rebadging exercise.

One thing I've learned in looking at replacement switches is that the niche that Pakedge has in this situation is that their switches have the ports in the rear and the lights on the front which is a somewhat specific AV-oriented configuration. In normal networking that would be a nightmare but for AV systems where you're networking a bunch of equipment in a single rack for an AV booth or something it makes more sense to plug all the components into the back of the thing instead of having cables in the front.

In looking for replacements I found that Pakedge, Crestron, and Netgear have more AV specific switches with this setup but tend to be a bit pricey. Netgear has a lot of PoE switches in this configuration in their M4250 AVLine products but they tend to be like $900+ since they're managed switches with a lot of ports.

Fortunately for me, I replaced the little unmanaged 8 port (with 4 port PoE) with this TP-Link I just happened to have on hand which has ports on the back for $60.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP0SSAS/

I think we'll just stick with that and I'll pick up a $20-30 1U shelf for it so it's not loose inside the rack. I didn't realize that the switch I had on hand was an oddball one that just happened to be the perfect replacement for this specific use case but I'm glad that I don't have to worry about replacing it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I mentioned I was working on a laptop for a client like a month ago. It's kind of a garbage laptop by specs, but HP made it kind of unique to compete with apple (I guess) so it's super slim and the outer shell is leather. It's kind of meant to be a premium laptop but it's not made to be repaired.

This guy, HP Spectre Folio 13 with an i7-8500Y, 8GB soldered RAM, and a 256GB NMVe SSD you have to disassemble the entire thing to get to:

So I did what the client asked, I replaced the original SSD which had failed, but it didn't see the new SSD in the BIOS or in the windows installer. I took it apart again, broke a connector, resoldered it, wiggled the disk, put it back together, but no change. It seems like whatever happened to the laptop's SSD killed something on the pci-e bus. To troubleshoot further I bought a used one on ebay for $280. That one had had its screen replaced (poorly) before and there were a lot of gouges around the bezel and stuff, and it was sold as "touch doesn't work". I took the ebay one apart, assuming that someone had forgotten to plug in the new screen when they put it in. But no, internally it was fine aside from a couple of stripped screws. It also had a different daughter board behind the screen that housed a LTE WWAN modem.

The mainboard from the ebay laptop in the client's laptop worked normally but somehow the touchscreen problem moved over with the mainboard. So now we have two laptops that had one component die and somehow kill the associated controller part on the mainboard. As a last ditch effort I put the WWAN daughterboard in the client's laptop and tried using it with a B Key M.2 SSD just in case that would get the original laptop working with any kind of disk, but no. As far as I can tell, the only option is to get a new mainboard for a five year old laptop. The cheapest "new-ish" ones are from aliexpress for like $360. US shops have them in stock for $699. Given that the i7-8500Y in this laptop is a lot worse than the same generation i5-8250U in my HP elitebook (the i7 is a dual core 5W TDP chip, i5 is a quad core), I think the only reason they built it like this was because there's no fans and it gets hot. That honestly may explain some of the problems it had, maybe it cooked its own components.

I've told the client that the mainboard is damaged and a replacement is really the only course forward and they asked me if I thought it was worth replacing and I said no. Unless they're in love with the leather folio construction that as far as I know is unique to this laptop, then it would be silly to put like $500 of parts (not including labor) into an 8th gen laptop. Newer, faster machines will start around that price. I'm going to end up with this extra one from ebay unless I feel like trying to flip it but it's a real let down. I'm just venting really, but I hate not being able to fix something like this. If it was a desktop we could get an 8th gen motherboard on ebay for $50 or something.

edit: to HP's credit, there's full videos on disassembly and replacement of parts on YouTube which is fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1LsLwjvyHElZ3Pc6PzeHB6PZqA_gJ4lH

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 5, 2024