Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I'm taking some Windows Server classes at my local community college. I've been really enjoying them so far, but there's been a few things about the class that really bug me.

We were finishing up a lab about disk management and RAID today, here are the last few sections.

I- Recovery from a RAID 5 Disk Failure

J- Mounting a VHD File in Disk Management and Modifying an Operating System

K- Booting a Virtual Operating System Natively from a VHD file

L- Create a Boot Floppy for Server 2012 and Windows 8

I love the instructor, he's extremely enthusiastic about the material and cares about his students, but he really needs to stop trying to force floppies into his labs. We had USB flash drives available, but no, we used floppies and USB 3.5" diskette drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Certainly puts my gripe about having only done two mandatory password resets in 13 years into perspective. Yay LDAP.

e. I'm glad you're out and doing better.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 18, 2017

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Thank you for sharing your opinion on feminism, female doctors, and suicide, boss. I, too, think that my mom should be assaulted because she went to medical school and later decided to start a family. I'm glad I'm the only one around at this hour so there's no one else to talk to but me.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Our Exchange server was down for most of the day today. Good thing nothing important is goin- oh wait it's finals week.

Who would have guessed that instructors aren't exactly happy when they can't email their students?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

fist4jesus posted:

So my company currently has a bug up its rear end about getting everyone photos taken to put them in some HR database / system.
Apparently non optional, no optout and we haven't even been told what its being used for.

I was sort of ok with doing it until I overheard that the next step was putting photos and little bios on our desks and around the building. gently caress that.
And who knows what else they will use them for. Internal/external marketing? Have been in that situation before and absolutely despise it.

Tried writing to HR privately to ask about my options here and hinting that I'm uncomfortable with it because of personal issues..next time I'm at work, today (Shift worker) I hear second hand that someone complained to HR and the managers confirmed it was a requirement "for security" at the loving department annual meeting. Meanwhile no reply/comms to myself.

I took a tour of a company where everyone had a huge cutout of their face at the top of their desk. The person leading the tour said that it helped associate a name to a face, especially with people you don't work with normally.

The thought of having my creepy mug staring at me for 8 hours each day was a factor in my decision to not put in an application.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

goobernoodles posted:

There should be a thread devoted to powershell.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286440

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Who in the world makes burns popcorn at 7:30am?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

RFC2324 posted:

That's not what i was asking. 192.168 is a /16. The 10.x is a /8. Both start at an obvious point given the size of the address range, even if that start point is arbitrary. The 172.16 is an oddly sized range starting at a point with no obvious logic. Why? Don't these ranges predate cidr?

10.x is a single class A network.
172.16.x is 16 class B networks.
192.168.x is 256 class C networks.

You must keep in mind that class A, class B, and class C networks are defined by the first few bits of the network address.

0.x-127.x are class A networks, as the first bit is a 0
128.x-191.x are class B networks, as the first two bits are 10
192.x-223.x are class C networks, as the first three bits are 110

The 172.16.x range, as was previously stated, was not really being used, but they likely didn't want to reserve too many addresses away from public addressing. Class B networks are large.
192.168.x is, by classful definition, not a class B network.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Nothing like being handed a cum-stained laptop to start out a Monday morning.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm pretty sure the words "biohazard" and "OSHA violation" should be included in the diatribe about why you're not going to touch that

I didn't realize it was bad until I lifted the lid.

Turns out it's one of our sales' personal computers, so that made it easy to give back with a message of "Take it to the Mac store".

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
A co-worker and I spent an hour trying to figure out why DNS resolution wasn't working at a client site - turns out I messed up a 1:1 NAT rule while swapping routers around.

It wouldn't have been so bad if we weren't stuck in the same room as the site owner's personal bitcoin mine, with at least 3 GPU fans in noisy states of failure.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I work at a family-owned MSP currently.

Our 7am Monday meetings were usually a shouting match between the owner, his son, and his nephew. The nephew quit recently though, so our meetings aren't too terrible now - only somewhat.

e. I spent most of the week trying to figure out why our Duo implementation for one of our clients wasn't working as expected. I took over the project from the owner, who had set up the Duo Access Server and bound it to the local AD DC, leaving the rest to me.

Among other issues, the DAG was trying to match usernames to the sAMAcccountName attribute.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 10, 2018

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Our COO caused our dispatcher to leave in tears.

Yay family run MSPs.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
How many hours does it take Cisco TAC to start a stopped process?

Four and a half

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
We had just finished getting one of our clients set up with an eFax provider, which required creating accounts for a web-based way of sending faxes, and I decided it would be a good idea to take screenshots of the interface to keep around as documentation. I logged in as one of the users and started checking out all the pages on the site. I noticed a little icon below the username and clicked it to see where that went.

It was a link to the admin panel to manage every eFax user in the provider's system.

And this user could view everyone.

And modify.

Oops.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Correction: most of the users have admin access. But not all, strangely enough.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Thanks for letting me know that the 7am tech meeting was cancelled, team. I didn't want that extra hour of sleep anyways.

--

On Friday I used PTO to take the day off, due to throwing up through the night and not getting any sleep. After notifying the required parties I crawled back to bed, only to hear my phone going off. The COO had accidentally sent a company wide message about how they're going to replace me and another co-worker for taking too much time off.

The owner/my boss sent me a "You're great, I appreciate you, we're not looking to replace you, and please look past what was said" email, but I've kind of had enough of this.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Schadenboner posted:

If this was his response rather than showing the COO the inside of the front door and then inviting him to make an in-depth study of the outside of the front door (after having his rear end kicked out through it) then the owner is lying to you and they do conspire against you.

This also, too.

The COO is married to my boss, and they each own half the company.

When I saw the COO's message on Friday, my first thought was "Good, now I don't have to quit". I haven't been very happy here - lots of mismanagement, confusion, and yelling. Not even sure if IT Administration is the right career for me, I went into it because I like computers.

Sickening posted:

I would also like to know how many PTO days your COO has and uses on a yearly basis. I am going to assume they don't have PTO days and takes as many as they wants and is probably gone for almost 2 months out of the year on average. I don't even know this person and I am probably close.

They seem to come and go whenever they feel like it, yeah.

Agrikk posted:

Quit as soon as you can.

That's the plan.

e. I've got to say that now that I've stopped caring, my stress has gone way down.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 25, 2019

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'd implore you to give it a shot somewhere else, now that you have some base experience under your belt. Disfunctional workplaces are the worst and can be absolutely soul crushing, but it gets better.

I'm considering it. There's things I like about my current job (configuring networks and building servers), but for the most part I'm stuck doing helpdesk work.

I spoke with my boss yesterday. He seems to be in full "my business partner made a huge mistake and I need to retain my employees" mode, saying that he'll keep me on projects and away from helpdesk. It'll at least make work a bit more bearable while I figure out what to do next. Considering staying unemployed for a few months to burn through some certs I've been meaning to get - I haven't been able to do so because the last thing I want to do after working with computers all day is to think about computers.

The COO wasn't in for half the day, and they avoided eye-contact with me.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Our SAN died

:toot:

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Unfortunately we were able to get the SAN back up and running. Two drives had failed - one a while ago, one just now. We supposedly had a hot spare, but it wasn't actually configured to be used. Reconfigured that, re-slotted the recently failed drive to get it to work, and got the array rebuilding.

xsf421 posted:

:10bux: that the backups are on the SAN.

They're actually on a separate device! A product that we've never actually been able to successfully do a bare-metal recovery off of, but whatever we're invincible we only need to do test restores of individual files.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

ConfusedUs posted:

What's the problem with the Bare Metal backups? There are a lot of common pitfalls that hold true across many products, odds are good I can point you in the right direction.

Our largest problem is that we don't test our backups more than just simple file recovery. We've never done a bare-metal or VM restore.

We use Datto for our backup, and the only time one of our clients had been in a situation requiring a restore my boss took the ticket, gave up, and rebuilt the server.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Just gave my two-weeks notice to my boss. I was hoping to make an entire year but I'll miss it by a couple weeks.

There are a number of things that I like about working here - my coworkers are friendly, my boss is very understanding, I get to touch systems that I really shouldn't be anywhere near, short commute - but I'm just not happy here. Lots of contradictory directions by management, Do as I say Not as I do, promises that don't go anywhere, and all the other fun things that come with a family-run MSP.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
My coworker just quit w/o notice. My last day is Friday. Our largest (by far) client lost most of their internal IT and will use us as help desk until they can get someone hired, and is also requesting a tech be on-site 3 days a week (4 hour drive, so they'll have to stay in a hotel).

We had four techs yesterday. Next week will be two.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

pixaal posted:

An update if you stay in contact might be fun, depending on how disastrous it gets.

We'll see how quickly they deactivate my accounts - last time someone left they weren't removed from MS Teams until they started chatting in it a few weeks later.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Comradephate posted:

Also pissing me off: in order to get promoted to "senior" I apparently have to have "industry-wide impact" despite the fact that the people who currently hold the title on the team are actual driftwood who don't even have team-wide impact.

Maybe they broke DNS previously?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

5er posted:

I do not like talking to computers. I do not want computers listening to me. I do not like the transparently insincere, pandering manner in which Microsoft tries to give their os a "personality."

:confused:

Windows Hello is biometrics/facial recognition/alternate authentication, not voice activation.

Are you thinking of Cortana?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Thanks Ants posted:

don't try and do your own fax over SIP with an ATA or any of that stuff, it's a pain.

This is very true.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Why is the quality of the dog so much better than the man.

Is the dog the trainer?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

quote:

Job Requirements:
10+ years of experience working in IT infrastructure
5+ years in customer facing role working with enterprise clients
At least one of below certification;
(CCIE certification)
(CCDE) certification
(JNCIE)

Skill Level:
Entry Level
Ok great thanks for showing up in my Entry Level filter.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

ConfusedUs posted:

Their site, in addition to username/password, has the most utterly rear end-backward second line of security I've ever seen. See, when you created your account, you also had to create a "passphrase".

Then, when you log in, you have to give your username and password. Then it asks you to input the Nth and Nth characters of the passphrase. So if your passphrase was "whatthefuck?" you might be prompted for the 3rd and 9th characters, or "a" and "u".

Webroot's MSP/Partner management portal had this "feature", so it's A Thing that at least two companies have used. The justification I was given at the time was that even if there was a keylogger on your computer an attacker would only get a few bits of your passphrase, leaving them unable to log into your account (unless it asks for the same characters again oops).

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Is making job descriptions really this difficult?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Started a new job on Monday as a network administrator. I was told that they were rebuilding the team.

Documentation is split between a sharepoint site, a 1password vault, and people's personal folders. The sharepoint is outdated, I don't have access to the shared 1password vault (not much of a network admin if I can't access network devices), and good luck guessing the right person to ask.

Supervisor got me started on tickets today. The tickets (high/critical severity) were all opened months ago and no one has touched them since. It feels bad updating tickets with "Is this still a problem?". It's all I can do at the moment because I don't have access to any of our support tools or management interfaces.

The commute is pretty short though.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
My coworker's toilet flush is loud and clear in our teams call.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Agrikk posted:

Is it weird that in thirty years of networking I have never turned on STP?

I haven't either, but that's because it's on by default for all the switches I use.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Half of a site lost network access, and coincidentally a security company was on site at the time doing some work on their panels.

"The security company did not touch any of the fiber connections"

< 3 hours later >

"The security company may have touched the fiber connections"

< A few calls later >

"The security company definitely touched the fiber connections"

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
"I did a ChatGPT search and it said..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Over a year ago I was told that I wouldn't have to support printers anymore because we were bought by a company that has teams dedicated to printer support.

But here I am, still listening over the phone for that sweet sweet sound of a dot matrix printer screaming into life.