Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Thanks Ants posted:

Why do some people seem absolutely hell-bent on taking the path of most resistance? Spending days asking everybody except the team all those people are explicitly directing your query towards? Check. Wanting to buy almost anything except the one thing that is designed to solve your problem and has a proven track record of doing so? Check.

"I've been trying to get this done for ages, but no one's been able to help me find the solution! It's not my fault I've done no work all week!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Agrikk posted:

Looping messages in on-hold music.

"Did you know that most LG appliances are wifi capable? Download the LG App and monitor your devices remotely. Ask your service representative about it today."

The first time I heard that message I didn't. But the hold music loops every 43 seconds and I've been on hold for over an hour, so yes, yes I do. This would have been helpful if my LG fridge was indeed wifi capable, but it isn't, nor do I need a goddamn app to tell me that my fridge is cold or making a really loud intermittent buzzing noise that wakes us up at night.

edit: also fridges that intermittently make buzzing noises that wake us up at night also piss me off.

The wifi capability is a little more useful on things like washers and dryers. A range, maybe, if you're cooking something like a turkey, but even then just set a regular timer.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

skooma512 posted:

I really wish they put out printer drivers that only used the main paper cassette with plain letter paper and that's loving it. I'm so tired of having to adjust them because software or the user changed it to some stupid edgecase crap nobody ever uses.

No I don't need the manual feed tray

No I don't need to print on cardstock

No I don't print on loving envelopes.

Fun fact about my workplace:

The label printers, for some reason, print "envelope". No idea why, but they do. So if you accidentally tell it to print a label to a regular printer, the printer gets a "wrong size" error and asks for an envelope in the manual feed tray.

I have no idea why, since the labels are 8"x6".

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Sickening posted:

Shared logins have no reason to exist.

We have one in our warehouse so that the workers there can make minor changes to the freight bills and print their own labels if they need to. The guy whose job this used to be was getting really behind on all his other work because he had to print off so many labels for the guys.

Why not just give every worker a signon? Well, they charge us yearly per active user. So it costs them more money. Can't have that, no sirree.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Sickening posted:

Who charges you yearly?

The company that makes our freight tracking software, who I'm reluctant to name since I'm fairly certain we're their biggest customer.

Although given how much of a pain in the rear end it's been, the rumor I heard of it being written by a single 16-year-old over a weekend high on coke sounds likely.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

My company does that. Start of March, a calendar goes up, you request what weeks you want off for the next year. If you don't request all your days you can ask to use them later but you have 0 priority on those days. If you use the calendar your priority is based on your seniority.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Blue Moonlight posted:

“I have no cyan, and I must print black.”

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

joebuddah posted:

Windows XP machines in 2021...
A lab that has multiple lazer optical measuring devices that cost $10k each somehow didn't think to upgrade their computers.

They are complaining that the new software won't work. Apparently me telling them the new software is 64 bit and xp is 32 bit wasn't enough....

Wait, expensive industrial machinery with software that actually runs on (semi) modern hardware? I didn't think that existed.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Bob Morales posted:

Continue for 2 more years. Sounds like a solid gig

End of first year:

"During your onboarding you told us you could get this thing set up within 90 days. It's been a year and it's still not set up. Poor performance means no raise, sorry"

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

ijyt posted:

Things not pissing me off: the settlement I negotiated :toot:

Nice! Does this have to do with the WFH debacle you posted a couple weeks back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Combat Pretzel posted:

I hope this person gets hit by a meteorite.

Hey, at least someone asked them what the solution was and actually got an answer. So many times they never actually provide their solution.