Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

kids these days now just use gdocs as a inferior version of wave

they'll just all type in a document and that's almost like wave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

poo poo that really pisses me off: "hey your performance eval sucked, and as such we're terminating you immediately or you can resign in lieu of so you don't pull some evil sysadmin poo poo and break everything"

Two days later: "hey uh we overpaid you"

(I'm about 99% sure they didn't overpay me and they're bad at accounting, because I took two sick days, the sick time was properly subtracted from that paystub, and all the numbers check out)

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 4, 2021

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Even though I use a MS account, I still force Windows to make a local account.

Only because the user folder when you link a MS account on OOBE ends up being a truncated email, so I make it a local account so I get "Buff Hardback" as the user folder, then go ahead and link it to my MS account.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I see someone from Slack is an active participant in this thread:

https://twitter.com/SlackStatus/status/1443666791180419082

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Agrikk posted:

loving Discord.

I opened a support ticket with them in late August to get my son's phone number removed from my account (he thought he was logged in as him when he added his phone number and now my account has his phone number) and they've been fumbling the football for almost two months now and they helpfully tell me just now how I can associated a phone number with my account.

No, fucknuts.

I do not want to swap out his phone number with a different phone number.
I do not want any phone number associated with this account at all.
I do not want help associating a new phone number with this account.

I want a process that actually removes the phone number from my account and doesn't instead put my account on timeout for 1-3 days.

Yeah once an Discord account gets flagged for phone verification, that's it.

Either you put your number in instead of his or start a new account, those are your two choices.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How often do you have to actually use the phone for verification? Could you get a Google Voice number, validate with that, and then never use it again?

I can't remember if they accept Voice numbers or not

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress Adobe.

Half of the HR department just came up to my office. "How do we rotate a PDF?"

It used to be, you click on the rotate button.

But now that has been changed to basically open a pop-up that tells you to buy the full version of Acrobat.

Luckily, the menu still works.

is the intent to rotate for saving or rotate for viewing

those are two totally different operations and iirc editing the PDF was always a paid acrobat feature so :shrug:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Maigius posted:

I'm supposed to be committing locally? The intro to git doc that was created for this process was really unclear about it, but reading it again, I probably should have. I did add it to the index, but I'm probably hosed.
Edit: the previous and only other VCS I've ever used is CVS, which at least had really good local history and easy to use merging.

You're always committing locally?

Technically a git repo can exist on a single device and never be pushed anywhere. It's only when you add a remote do the commits you've written locally go elsewhere.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

bull3964 posted:

Well, the mandate is only for things that charge.

Yeah, and Cisco charges me out the wazoo.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

My spam in my newer Fastmail alias is confusing, because I got shortname@sent.at along with my first@last.me custom domain.

All of the spam sent to my shortname@sent.at address is all German / Austrian spam, which makes sense now that I think about it.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Wizard of the Deep posted:

This is literally the best way to get massive raises, and to get paid anywhere near the value you provide a business.

There are good reasons to stay at a particular job (you like the company itself, or you want to work with a particular person/team), but "avoiding a reputation for moving up in compensation and responsibility" is not one of them.

Get the money, gently caress the haters.

This is why it feels so bizarre to me that I've gotten in total 19k worth of raise from a job I started at less than 1 year ago, and am on deck for another 6-16k raise in 2 months.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Wizard of the Deep posted:

That is bizarre, or at least uncommon enough to be worth noting.

Last month I was told that despite the fact that I've knocked a couple huge projects out of the park, completely reversed two years of negative emotion around my team, and taken on significant leadership/mentoring responsibilities, it's at least a year before I can be considered for a deserved promotion and a raise that isn't an insulting fraction of cost-of-living increases. It's almost exactly the situation bull3964 described, but I'm the senior engineer in this play.

Will I stick around for that year? :shrug:

To be fair it’s from a Level N contributor to Level N+1, but still

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Left my personal laptop charger at work when I left for the weekend. @&!#!!! My old laptops are noticeably slower. But I'm sure happy to have them.

Other than my phone and my iPad (and my watch), everything I own that isn’t stationary can be charged with USB-C and it truly is magical.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

ASAPRockySituation posted:

what if they break or lose them which is btw common among schools that do this

or the Chromebook vendor hosed something up and ended up putting a fleetwide flaw that required replacement of an entire districts devices

I’m not bitter at all about this why do you ask

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Thanks Ants posted:

You need all sorts of beam forming tricks and processing to make conference room audio work. I have a very small amount of past AV experience, mainly in live stuff, and commissioned a Yamaha Adecia system the other day. Everything is PoE and uses Dante for the audio routing, it's pretty much plug-and-play, is Teams certified, and when you have it all configured it plays a load of sounds through the speakers to EQ the room, like Sonos speakers and your home AV receiver does. 10/10 would buy again.

Also the C-level like having audio hardware with a Yamaha logo on, it makes it feel like whatever happens your choice of equipment wasn't the problem.

https://owllabs.com/products/meeting-owl-3

My old company used this in a conference room, and it was great

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I’m not sure at all where the Major.Fix.Minor came from but as a result of the call starting with the next major release it will go back to the normal Major.Minor.Fix. I’m pretty sure we were using that format before and for some reason this guy just decided to change it. I wasn’t the my one confused by it, even this guys VP was, which is probably why it is being changed to normal so fast.

Good luck explaining the version numbering to customers when it switches back

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

SlowBloke posted:

Make it a major even if the content doesn't warrant it to avoid any question.

this tbh

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

“Oh what’s this, you’re having issues with business technology? Did you submit a ticket?”
“No”
“Oh well once there’s a ticket I can take a look”

It literally should not exist in your list of things that bother you until there’s a ticket. Once there’s a ticket you can do what you need to do.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Arquinsiel posted:

Solid RCA here.

Please file this as an internal note to ticket #69420 for future reference

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

xzzy posted:

Slack really needs to stop adding poo poo to the left pane too.

Also make their threads less lovely, it should default to sending replies to the channel.

i just puked in my mouth a little

actually to be fair, the best qol feature they've added the fact that you can now send a thread message to the channel after you send it

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

you’re 100% using threads wrong

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Heran Bago posted:

Least favorite thing is handling swollen laptop batteries every few days. Pulling them out of old bloated laptops mostly. Collect them in a cardboard box that goes on a wooden shelf in a room that we are always passing through. Moreso than the fire risk, I'm afraid of the potential fumes. This has been the case all year.

I have a vague idea that this is somehow not good. Workplace Safety has a million reasons why we can't do anything about it. If anyone brings it up in writing, we have a department-wide hours-long meeting about why we can't do anything about it.

I would be okay handling these hazardous materials with a minimum of training and equipment (maybe gloves?) but I don't know what kind of training or equipment I would need.

If you can’t afford the proper box, at least get a metal garbage can with a lid or so the batteries aren’t in kindling (cardboard) on firewood shelves

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

DHCP chat

in my home network, I have exactly two statics configured, and neither of them are through my DHCP server, my home server has active failover, so assigning an IP from dhcp wouldn’t be ideal, and IPMI for that server is also static on device

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm currently doing the "what's your salary?" "what's your budget?" infinite loop with a third party recruiter for a job I don't even want, in a different country. I have nothing better to do with my employer's time TBH.

I have been told, but cannot confirm, that an "InMail" from anyone you aren't a contact of costs a whole :10bux:, which they get back if you reply to it.

InMail pricing is different depending on your plan, and usually recruiters are using the recruiter plan anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Arquinsiel posted:

Does it still cost per message then?

Think so, but LinkedIn recruiter gives like a bunch a month