Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ah gently caress you, Adobe! Not just that their Creative Cloud bullshit installs a trillion background services, which I'm not sure what they're good for, but that eventually leak memory... Now after I thought that I'd uninstalled everything, at least for all intents and purposes, since nothing Adobe lists in the installed applications, I just found out that they left their Genuine Software Integrity service behind (i.e. antipiracy poo poo) and is actively running. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've just about had it with the web and every single loving site wanting me to subscribe. Ublock doesn't have enough known rules to cut that poo poo out.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How on Earth do home computers still operate sensibly with solely spinning rust these days? I have my nephew whining to me every third day that his computer is unusable, because there's always something running updates in background, drowning the hard disk into IO and choking off any other applications in foreground. poo poo like the Epic Game Launcher, Steam and UPlay fighting with each other, with sprinkles of WU on top of it and any bullshit background tasks that run in background (I haven't seen an even freshly untouched Windows 10 install not do something to the disks all the time when entirely idle).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Granted, I'm on SSDs for slightly more than five years now, but I don't think that my memory's that bad, and I don't remember things being such a poo poo show back then.

pixaal posted:

I have a workstation that's an all in one with a 5400RPM drive 4GB of (soldered) RAM and an i3 in it that I have to support.
F

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Same, Deathadder (or MS Habu as alternative back then, with its fancy highlight, which was basically a Deathadder) is a pretty decent mouse ergonomically. IMO anyway. Too bad these dickheads are pausing every larger Windows 10 upgrade with their driver installer UI. Every time I have to tell it to Never Install. Somehow that won't stick.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

IT over here is virtualizing all SCADA systems, and I don't like it one bit. Like I need more potential points of failures with that already flimsy homebrew software.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

monsterzero posted:

The transition might be tough, but in the end won't you have fewer points of failure (and more robust recovery options?)
I don't want to be dependent on a busy help desk for whenever something software-wise fucks up (those systems front the PLCs of production lines directly, they're for control), which could be fixed by a quick reboot, especially when they're only there 9-5 and otherwise hard to reach outside that time. One is always supposed to be on duty on a cellphone, but it often gets "overheard".

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I expect a lot of a poo poo. Among others, they've done it already to the system that is supposed to page the members of our volunteer fire brigade, and it failed thrice to do so already (luckily for harmless things). It's the same SCADA software, that didn't like the transition, and they're pretty cavalier about fixing it from what I've heard. Which is hilarious, considering that one department burning down over a decade ago nearly drove the business out of existence.

I was there on a job interview half a year ago, and the manager of the department (who studied CS) was boasting about six nines after the decimal. I didn't react for the sake of making a good appearance, considering I remember one of their larger hypervisor rigs being down for an hour last year, and the phone system being down once for an extended time, too. They're a weird bunch it seems.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I usually just barge into the office where they're doing the meeting. When someone starts arguing, I just go "No output, no profit", and they shut up quickly.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Pick up a hobby that you can do on a computer, that's not outright playing games.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Since Google's being dicks in all sorts of manners lately, the Youtube emoji autoban thing made me consider to move the very least my email accounts (with custom domain) over to Outlook.com, with what having an Office 365 subscription. Turns out these assholes over at Microsoft only offer integration with GoDaddy, and anyone wanting to manage this on their own with their own registrar can go gently caress off.

Nevermind that they don't allow email aliases. (The gently caress?!)

I loving hate what consumer IT has become. There's always some loving catch.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

He is paying for office 365, he is using the free outlook.com. I think that is the issue.
Office 365 Personal, which has Outlook Premium for one account, and allows for a custom e-mail domain, so long you have it at GoDaddy. If I want to do my own thing, I'd need to go with Business Premium, which doubles the yearly price. Which sucks. God forbid, there's power user options on the subscription for normal people.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Holy poo poo, my nephew is driving me insane. Right now he's going on and on about some loving "Always open" checkbox in Google Chrome, that's apparently hidden for a few releases. He's currently trying to set a registry key to revert that, got panicked about a bunch of keys he didn't see on the computer of his other parent, and is pestering me about it all with some incoherent WhatsApp messages. I've been unsuccessfully trying to get him to paste some stupid text in a file, save it as a .reg file and double click it. Christ almighty. He keeps going on about how he wants to study computer sciences/programming, but any material and links I send him get left on the wayside in favor of gaming. How the hell are you going to study that topic, if navigating the registry is blowing your mind? Nevermind he kept going on about Google this and Google that at the beginning, and I'm like "what are you talking about? Chrome?", which was met with "well, the internet browser".

The reason Google has hidden that checkbox is pretty much people like him to begin with.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Wibla posted:

Is he 14?
How did you know.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm not entirely sure why the gently caress I have to tell a 16 year old self-proclaimed nerd how to install loving Windows, but here I am, doing stupid poo poo like fighting with him over WhatsApp as to why the gently caress he's supposed to delete the ancillary partitions on the "new" drive he's about to install to, even tho he doesn't even have a concept of what a partition really is.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

If he's a self proclaimed nerd, why hasn't he installed Arch or Devuan yet
It's kind of sad. He wants to go study computer sciences eventually, but I try to keep getting him to spend some time on productive stuff (sometimes he does, but it's rare), but it always falls to the wayside because games. A long while ago I could at least partially understand, when my sister limited their computer use to get them play outside and/or other kids. I don't know, if installing Windows overwhelms you, you're not ready to go deeper into the field.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I feel like a lot of initial computer interest came out of getting shareware games to install and run on DOS on my parents 486. That command line stuff is probably the oldest IT related knowledge I still use on a daily basis.
That and the lack of abundance of things. And no internet. You had to figure out things on your own. And plenty of technical magazines in the 90ies, because there wasn't much else.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Did I miss something and Skype got good again? Over here they want to ditch Teams, after using it for months, in favour of Skype. Or is IT just bonkers again?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The IT boss also gave me a blank stare a while ago when I mentioned Node.js and Electron as a development platform for the poo poo I’m supposed to code (planning dept, not working for them). That kind of guys.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I was set to resign that I'd have to code Java with SWT here at my workplace, instead of allowing me to go my own way with .NET and WPF (later WinUI) for frontend applications used solely in our own department. I'm a programming island that doesn't have anything to do with the IT department, but going my own way isn't an option, because I'd be lacking "backup". Like these chucklefucks would drop everything at a moment's notice to pick up my things in case of a prolonged absence.

Now some external consultant has been schmoozing up to our head of IT showing off what you can do with Javascript in a browser, and said head of IT suddenly needed some "time to find himself" and make longterm decisions about whether to switch or not. So now it's suddenly probably not Java. Ironically all this after the discussion half a year ago, about how to go about the programming part of my job, where I pointed out I'd rather go JS instead of Java and SWT (there's also some irrational Microsoft hate going around, "best tool for the job" doesn't apply anywhere). "You want to use Node.What? Electron, what's that?"

:suicide:

--edit:
Also, I haven't coded poo poo yet, apart from some tools for my own use, and hugely complicated nested SQL queries in Excel, because everyone's dragging their balls on the final decision.

And their DB400 has CTE's disabled for whatever loving reason, and they don't seem to want to fix this. It also drives me up a wall.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 13, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The use of the cyber prefix is pissing me off in a lot of cases. I think "cyberphysical system" from this Industry 4.0 bullshit takes the cake so far.

Also, this week the IT guys have been trying to force us to run our AS400 terminal sessions within Citrix instead of locally. Because supposedly the communications go clear text over the wire and someone could tap that. I'm like :confused: and like "Bitch, the client has a TN3270-over-TLS checkbox, and checking it actually negotiates a secure connection!" and they're like "Oh, yea, but still..."

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 5, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Software starts making me irrationally angry lately.

I've upgraded my local InfluxDB setup from 1.7 to 2.0, so that I can do that fancy timeshift stuff that's available with Flux but for some reason not in InfluxQL. Well, color me fooled. Grafana allowed to me to attach aliases to InfluxQL queries, so that data series have sane names, but even tho Grafana supports Flux for quite a while now, they figured, no we don't do that here. So the solution is either mouse jockeying tons of loving overrides, or pray to the God's of Flux that your Flux query remapping values doesn't gently caress up the columns and values, then in the panel options, extract that poo poo using some wild ${ } notation, that doesn't seem properly documented. I mean sure, why make it easy for me. Apparently people are like a broken record complaining about the same thing on their forum and other places, and they're still :bugsbunny-NO:

klosterdev posted:

Pissing me off: The staggering amount of computer illiteracy in today's society
I wrote off older adults, but young folks? I don't even get it. My nephew is bugging me about a ton of things, and it seems like reinstalling Windows is an unsurmountable task, but setting up a convoluted game cheating solution is A-OK. It's all the wrong way around.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 16, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Back during the two years I did tech support from 2000-2002, I've been called more than once to fill up a paper tray because "the printer stopped functioning correctly". In a computer parts wholesales no less.

Nowadays I have to deal with Java coders that pull a blank stare when they see even just a simple Excel formula. I'm not sure what's worse.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Are a lot of companies rediscovering a long lost love for e-mails again? Lately I'm getting an ongoing shitload of e-mail notifications from sites I've been signed up for and/or using for years, but so far never pestered me via e-mail.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

I will never not be baffled by people under 30 who are more computer illiterate than my 90 year old grandmother. But it'll probably be actually more common going forward -- people don't use computers at home, they use phones for everything.
It's not like they can't, they just won't. Unless it has a direct benefit, they can't be assed to spend the effort. Take my two nephews as anecdotes. Reinstalling Windows is an unsurmountable task that I need to babysit, frequently are files being lost in standard folder structures, but oh pirating movies and running cheats and trainers, that's being self-taught pretty quickly.

--edit:
Worst is, one of them wants to go study CS eventually. I keep prodding him to start spending some effort onto this, with what being 16 already, but gaming > *, so...

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 4, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I mean, I'm likely in the wrong, because I overstepped in some regard, but the whole situation is just loving stupid.

I'm doing part time data analysis here at my job. Because the plant had been under 2.5m/8ft of water during the European floods recently, we're building back up. The management needed some predictions as to what products would be ready to manufacture again based on reparation date estimates, for longterm planning and short term raw material orders. For that to be entirely correct, I needed specific data from the planning application of the calculation department. That data is said to be off limits to us, but it's mostly just a half-spoken out but unwritten rule. I don't know why, because it's manufacturing related, and we work with manufacturing related data, but alas.

So we submitted a request to IT to fetch the stuff for us. Three days in, still no data, but they're "working on it full-time" (the person that wrote the application is doing it, you'd think it'd be a quick matter). Meanwhile management was breathing down our neck, because they wanted to know ideally yesterday.

I said gently caress it, pulled the table and column metadata from DB2, looked for the tables that could be related to said application based on what's put in the table descriptions, took tons of notes, looked at table data, then eventually figured out how to join everything to get proper data and wrote an Excel worksheet around it that spits out dynamically what can be manufactured and when, based on continuous input from the technical department. I did all that in half a day.

At the end of the fourth goddamn day (i.e. in the afternoon after doing my thing) I finally get part of the data we requested. The IT head eventually noticed we were done ahead of their delivery, wondered how, eventually figured out and flipped his poo poo, because we were "forbidden" to access these publicly accessible tables. Now there's a bunch of drama about data access.

Meanwhile I'm also rewriting a bunch of old-rear end Visual Foxpro applications in JS/React, and am merrily (re)writing SQL queries. The IT head was already musing for ages about web services and consequently disabling ODBC access, however very long term ideas. But it seems poo poo got accelerated due to that stint. If things were to come to a head, I'll be spending writing tons of tickets with requests for web service endpoints for specific data, and then probably wait several days to several weeks for each. In the hopes they actually deliver correct data, which is seldom the case, when we let them do more complex analytics on their term. Which leads to more back and forth, trying to hint them as to why things are wrong without knowing how they even assembled the data. We work directly with the production departments, so we typically know why data is hosed up. They however don't.

A good example is that one table with measurement data, that's essentially data from several tables denormalized into it for reasons unknown to me. A long while ago, on behest of management, we requested some columns to be added with data from other obscure tables. poo poo's been incorrect for 9-10 months and we're still arguing with them. At some point I pulled the same poo poo like above, except they don't know about it, figuring out on my own how to join ten loving tables, that I shouldn't even know about, to get proper data. Meanwhile they still don't manage to generate the proper results for us. This is loving stupid.

I hate my life. I should change jobs.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 29, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

Feel like executive management should just ...dictate that you need the data, period, no restrictions?

also congrats on the budding analytics skillset
It seems like the typical interdepartment in-fighting. I guess it doesn't matter that the whole company is in crisis mode. The manufacturing and sales sides of management are like "We need that poo poo stat" and the IT side of management is like "Well, when I order a car, I also need to wait for it to be built first". There's probably gonna be some back and forth on management level, haven't heard anything yet so far.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

angry armadillo posted:

If the table was so sensitive it wouldnt have been accessible to you.
There isn't even anything sensitive in it, because I can look at that data via the application on top of it, which I have access to. They just don't want me to access it directly via SQL (e.g. for bulk export or joining with other data), because reasons.

To be fair, the IT head is an AS400 guy that seems to be in over his head with all the new stuff. My boss told me he was proud as gently caress that he would be able to deliver data in ~*~*JsOn*~*~ for the very first time (they ran a query and saved it as JSON. Whooptyfuckingdoo.)

Back when discussions were had about the rewriting I mentioned earlier, their external consultant was there too. While the consultant and me were yapping about things like Node.JS, NPM and React, the IT head apparently sat there like "Yes yes, I know some of these words" (--edit: note, they're starting out web dev themselves). At least that's what I heard through the grapevine. Now that idiot wants to have a say on how I access data.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 30, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The batteries in my Cyberpower UPS are like 3.5 years old right now, I'm loosely looking for new ones (among other reasons reports that they poo poo the bed around that age), except I can't find them anywhere here in Europe, and the very verrrry few shops that have them listed are all out of stock. Awesome.

I'm about to rage buy an APC. But the next best sinewave one of theirs with the same capacity is nearly 500 eurobux.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Cyber power doesn’t make the battery cells, just rip the battery open, look at the parts(I would bet yuasa) and buy them.
Thanks for pointing out a fact that I should have thought of myself. :downs: I was looking specifically for their product numbers. Apparently it's indeed just some stupid standard form factor and connector. I found new batteries.

Naramyth posted:

We have power shell blocked and next week or so all incoming traffic on windows firewall will be blocked. No ping/admin share/RDP (except through a single service).

It’s the worst
Expecting similar poo poo over here. They got the security bug up their rear end recently, and are doing plenty of weird poo poo. Except that we don't have any security guys here. Or people seemingly competent enough not to be blindsided by non-routine.

The only two IT admins we have here, one of them couldn't manage to install old rear end Microsoft software on my laptop, a problem that I solved by sending him a how-to that I googled within two minutes, and the other couldn't solve my ODBC connection issues shortly after enforcing SSL network-wide, which was an expired local certificate, that was obvious from the error message, but I still had to look up (again) and refer to IBM documentation about that poo poo. And it wasn't the first time he saw this error message.

This is gonna be fun. I really wish they'd give me admin rights for my work laptop, so I don't have to deal with them.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 19, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Fool posted:

Telegram is the chud messaging service these days, fwiw

I’d view it as a red flag that they’re not using literally any other video conference service
Telegram wasn't created with the intent to foster stupid ideology, nor are these people a majority on that service. By your own logic, you ought to gently caress off the internet, by the nature of it also hosting /b/ and poo poo.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Over here everyone still insists on WhatsApp. A very few switched to Telegram. Try to mention something like Signal, or I don't know, Riot, and you'll be looked at as if you just ranted about the moon being made of cheese.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Today I looked up whether Parsec finally has an iOS/iPadOS app, turns out they still don't. I found tweets from spring 2020 saying it's a future goal, and another from January 2022 practically saying the same.

Considering they leaned hard into home office/remote working, why in the gently caress they don't have the very least an iPad app is puzzling. If anyone's gonna use a remoting device, a tablet is a very likely target, and iPads is defacto the tablet.

I figured the acquisition by Unity would have done something, but I guess not.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anydesk and Teamviewer are on the store, too, and some more direct alternatives to Parsec (e.g. Moonlight). Nowadays, Parsec is just another remote desktop tool. The ability to game is a side effect in how it implements the display content streaming.

I mean, it's running against selfhosted systems, unlike Xbox Cloud Gaming or Geforce Now.

Apple really needs a kick in the balls about their loving app store and the ridiculously draconian rules related to it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Agrikk posted:

I just got a notice from Google that my two legacy g-suite domains are going away this Summer.

For two decades I've had unlimited email accounts, unlimited storage, all the apps in workspaces and all the rest and it's going away.

What, they want me to pay $6/user now? perposterous!
Hrm. Haven't got a notification about that yet. I switched away to O365 like half a year ago or so, because I got sick reading about all the stories of Google loving over your entirely existence on their servers across multiple products, for their AI tripping up and locking you out, say for poo poo you posted on Youtube or whatever. To not keep all your eggs in one basket, or how they say.

I'm paying like 14 eurobux a month for this, but at least it includes the Office desktop suite.

So in principle I don't care, except they didn't stop me from buying Android apps on said account, so they're going the way of the dodo, since there's no way to migrate the purchases.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

All those cheap rear end content mirrors of things like Github and Stack Exchange polluting search results piss me the gently caress off.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I switched from Teamviewer to Anydesk a long while back, because former locked down my free account on some random suspicion of "professional use", requiring me to fill out actual paperwork, swearing to be doing only private use, to unlock it again.

Now I updated Anydesk to the newest version and these fuckwads introduced a session time limit on the free license. So if I'm remoting into a friends computer to do some stupid maintenance work, I have to reconnect multiple times. Awesome.

I guess Parsec's the next way out, until they get a stick up their butts.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's wrong with Google. I was wanting to check out some slopes in the satellite map view and it seemed like I was an idiot because I just couldn't manage to tilt the loving map view. Then I noticed I was signed out. When I signed back it, it suddenly worked again. Why the hell is this feature locked behind a sign-up/login?!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

(Here's some loving huge rant post.)

We have some manufacturing planning software running here, that takes the data from the ERP on the i Series here, calculates a bunch of poo poo and then sends it back. It's essentially a desktop app that uses SQL Server as backend (at least in our company). We, the planning department, manage it on a Windows Server virtual machine. IT eventually wanted to upgrade their SQL Server from 2012 to 2019 (it also involved a newer Windows Server version to run on, which will be important soon).

There's some orchestrating going around over night with several runs of export, calculate and re-import, calling into scripts of ours, that in turn run a sequence of tools of said planning software. Each time a tool runs, a new connection to the SQL Server gets established. After we migrated our data to the new SQL Server, things went pretty much to poo poo, our scripts sporadically blocking further execution at random points.

I call the IT department about it, asking them to look into it and send me copies of logs and poo poo, since I don't have access to these, just to sit on my hands, to eventually get an "Well, I don't know..." (think that kid on the tricycle in The Incredibles) kind of answer like 3 weeks in.

Because it's a GUI application with crude automation abilities, I suspected an error box popping up and waiting for a dismissal. However as the orchestrator component, which is Axway by the way, runs as a service on our VM, there's no desktop. Attempting to screenshot when a block was detected was therefore futile (tried anyway, with expected results). I tried the backdoor way via some Win32 window enumeration APIs, to attempting to read out labels of User32 controls of all the windows spawned by the app. But since the planning software is written in Delphi, it uses its own toolkit to render UI, and therefore went nowhere. Expected the error dialog box to be a standard Windows one, where it'd have worked, but I guess not. Luckily manhandling the application on the desktop, I eventually managed to see said error box and get a message. Turns out it's an SSL/TLS issue.

I tell the IT department that and to look into it, just to seemingly sit on it for weeks, until I finally get some response, which happens to come from an external consultant, telling me to update the ODBC driver, which isn't really useful. (Can't really fault the guy, he doesn't know said application and that it insists on using SQL Server Native Client).

Personally, I would meanwhile have attempted to research the issue myself. But as it happened, IT managed to block the learn.microsoft.com subdomain, which is kind of a pickle, since Microsoft aggregated almost all their documentation onto there a fair while ago. And it took them like 6 weeks for them to resolve, because they couldn't figure out why it was happening (and I guess the ticket getting rescheduled). Turns out it were some convoluted bullshit firewall rules they set up, attempting to block access to Teams and Office 365 Web (and apparently other things at microsoft.com).

After I had (regained) access to documentation, I rather quickly figured out, thanks to aforementioned error message, that an earlier version of Microsoft's TLS library had a faulty implementation of the Diffie-Hellmann Ephemeral cipher, something about omitting leading zeroes in digital signatures, leading to TLS handshakes aborting when it happened to communicate with a proper/fixed implementation. Our VM was still running Windows Server 2012 R2, which had the faulty cipher and there wasn't a patch supplied from Microsoft. They went from 2012 R2 to 2022 (I think) on their SQL Server, accidentally triggering this.

I set up a cipher suite whitelist in the local security policies excluding DHE, and boosh, things were fixed.

Why the gently caress do we have an IT department, if I have to keep solving poo poo myself? This isn't the first and only weird issue I had to help myself with. And every time, I still have to beg for temporary elevated rights to keep fixing poo poo on my own. I mean, holy poo poo, when I wanted them to give me the user permissions to create symbolic links (for reasons), it also was delegated to an external consultant. For changing a local security policy on my laptop, to which I don't have admin rights. All my dev tools and other random apps roam around outside of C:\Program Files :cheersdoge:

(Also, as it happens, I have another VM running Windows Server 2022 with a newer version of our planning software sitting here for like three months, waiting for deployment. And it's been idling because they only managed to schedule the installation of Axway for last week finally. There's still some changes in the flow graph to be made, that I want to oversee with them, before actual deployment. And gently caress knows when that'll happen.)

On the same notion, I'm rewriting some rear end old Foxpro applications, consolidated into a React+Node.js application. And I'm already pushing buttons at varying levels of management to get them to give me another VM, with Linux and root access, to host it eventually without their involvement at all (other than supplying the VM). They don't really agree with that, because apparently Linux is hard. Their new (lol) Docker infrastructure is based on Hyper-V because of that, too, to run Linux-based containers. :psypop:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

nielsm posted:

The job of IT Security? Of course their job is to obstruct business, and skipping change controls is a great way to aid that goal.

(Part of this post may be in jest.)
Over here they hired an guy for IT security. We didn't have one yet. What said guy didn't expect is that he'd just be scheduling online "cybersecurity" courses for employees.

The last one was hilarious. It was about password security. Yet the same time, the password policy is alphanumeric lowercase, 10 digits max. Because for legacy reasons, the iSeries only does that. And the password on the Windows account needs to match that one, so that the SSO on the IBM's DB2 for z/OS driver works correctly.