Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

mewse posted:

What has it been superseded by

I often use Mozilla Developer Network - they have a pretty comprehensive collection, even things like WebKit prefixes, and Very clearly delineate what's experimental and what should just work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Such memories.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Westie posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: not knowing whether to take a job offer of not.

- new job is a vendor web dev job which has more money, shorter working hours, a lot closer to home
- old job is an agency web dev job

i'm really on the fence about working on the same products, day in, day out - where I am currently i work on a broad range of websites and uh, i don't know if i really want to spend the next few years working on the same poo poo

So, I went from agency webdev to an established SV corporation. The thing I miss most is the variety of work that came with building agency sites, but there are so many other pluses to the job that it was definitely the right move for me. The work I've been doing has been pretty varied, but YMMV there.

What I don't miss at all about agency work (and it might have just been that agency in particular) was the feeling that I couldn't do my best work. Either the client wanted (and would pay) for the bare minimum, or the agency would push the profitability angle too hard.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

CitizenKain posted:

Badges shouldn't look like they were taken standing in a hallway by someone's shitball phone, then sloppily shoved into a template.

I work for a subsidiary of a major US company, and my badge looks exactly like that. Our badges are hideous.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

duffmensch posted:

poo poo pissing me off: finding an external site that’s using an unknown version of ColdFusion that hasn’t been maintained in several years but is being used to hold customer information. The only documentation was the customer login with the hosting provider..

Enjoy your new Macromedia ColdFusion MX 2004 site hosted on IIS 5.0 and backed by an Access 97 data store that has a password no one can recall. A majestic beast.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Turns out HR lady was just awful at describing the process. The "live coding" amounted to like 7 lines I wrote in 4 minutes. Maybe it was supposed to take longer, but it seemed really simplistic. I was expecting "add a new API endpoint and/or React component", and indeed that's how it started: "Say I asked you to add an endpoint to do.....".

I started adding boilerplate as she finished talking, but the more senior interviewer interrupted me: "Oh, don't actually build it, just build a utility function that endpoint would use for determining the closest appointment to the supplied date and time." Then when I wrote it she wanted to know how efficient it was, and how I could improve it. I get the idea that the entire thing was just to A) See that I wasn't bullshitting and actually wrote my code, and B) sneak in a check to see if I at least knew Big O notation and basic poo poo like binary search.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you! While I’m hoping you won’t need the advice, in the future, try to avoid attempting to solve the problem before it’s finished being given - after its asked, ask a few questions to shore any assumptions or define any additional scope, then start.

I lead technical interviews and was on hiring committees for a well-known tech company in Silicon Valley in my last job. While we’d generally overlook jumping the gun if you do well, it’s unfortunately those sorts of things that tend to count against you if the interviewer or committee is on the fence.

Luckily, it sounds like that’s not the case though, so I’m pulling for you!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I guess I’m having a hard time finding the sympathy in your situation. You didn’t document your work, ostensibly due to some cultural reticence to do so to assure job security, and are now trying to use it as some sort of bargaining chip to make the company do what you want. You keep claiming they’re violating all sorts of labor laws, and have a lawyer, and keep finding ways to browbeat them into retaining you.

You don’t get to keep saying “it’s so awful here, and I’m going to do everything possible to make them keep me around.”

EDIT: also, are you saying another woman was willing to lie about you to try to get you in trouble? The frequency at which this seems to occur to you seems...suspect.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 28, 2019

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
They may also list an email on their LinkedIn profile, especially if they’re a recruiter-y person. Near the bottom of the profile in the app, and in the right side rail on web.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I like to imagine that the giant XML book is just pictures of people screaming and crying.

Pretty sure the XML book is just a printout of the XML representation of the book’s ISBN.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
At my old job, each desk had a UPS, but in three years, I don’t think they were ever needed. So in practice, what it meant was that one would have a fault and start beeping somewhere on the floor and make everyone cranky until someone found it and shut it off (because, naturally, it would be at the desk of one of the people who were never, ever at their desk).

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Assuming there’s little traffic to that door, I’d pick that setup over the open office hellscape my desk is in.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Weedle posted:

In response to me reporting that pressing Enter, instead of clicking Save, on the username change dialog does not commit the change but reloads the entire page and makes you navigate back and try again instead:

One of the worst projects I ever worked on when I was at an agency was an integration with Blackbaud. I don’t think I’ve ever worked with such an uncooperative vendor.

Not supporting the Enter key doesn’t surprise me at all

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

dragonshardz posted:

loving McAfee.

Only loving McAfee would regularly fail to detect actual malware on end-user computers, but zot a shortcut inside a .zip file as a "potentially unwanted program".

loving McAfee.

Sounds like they’re capturing the chaotic energy of their namesake well.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Do you ever open a wiki/confluence/readme trying to figure something out, then see it’s filled with loving jokes and gifs that you have to waste your time reading around like an obstacle course for the eyes

Even better is when you’re searching for info, end up on a slide deck, and have to go through a half-dozen slides which are just GIFs from The Office.

And even better than that is when you’re in a meeting and someone is presenting a slide deck like this.

Some tech lead clicks to a slide, reading “Should we keep maintaining the Fizzbin Widget?” before grinning wildly to the room and clicking to a slide of Steve Carell yelling “NOOOOOO” before awkwardly slapping the space bar after getting a couple polite chuckles.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

grillster posted:

Sexualize the code base of WordPress.

edit:
Got me thinking about it's sexy core. The vulnerabilities created by its add-ons. The messy, dirty code from amateur developers. The stickyness of which it clings to the market.

Does that mean the SA codebase is crazy and will murder your pets, but the sex is phenomenal?

Was Radium loving our code?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Weedle posted:

our lms provider, blackbaud, got owned earlier this summer

Shocking.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

CPColin posted:

"Just" was banned from being said in meetings at a prior job, for similar reasons.

The whole eng staff at the agency I worked at had to revolt against the use of the word “seamless” in proposals and contracts.

This was largely precipitated by one client basically insisting that their contracted “seamless” integration with their Access database meant we’d be duplicating Access itself in a web browser.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Thomamelas posted:

I kept an HP Vectra case for a long time, despite it weighing more than a car, just because someone put some thought into the insides. All the razor blade bits had been covered in soft rubber. The cage for the drive bays was set up with rails to make it easy to get drives in and out. There were little hooks in side for running cable, and the hooks had the rubber caps on them as well. Who ever designed it had spent time sticking their hands in cases and it showed. Sadly it had a properitary power supply set up and when the supply couldn't handle any more upgrades I got rid of the case.

To contrast, there was one HP Pavilion case design that managed to always draw my blood whenever I had to work on it. Almost like HP was saying “You deserve this for not just telling them to buy a new Hewlett-Packard PC.”

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
On the plus side, my employer is moving to supporting employee-elected WFH on a full-time basis (software development, really little excuse not to) after the pandemic. It’s enabling me to move a bit further away and actually afford to buy a home.

On the minus side, they seem to be disconcertingly content to try to return to “business as usual” for those who will elect to return to the office after the pandemic, and have few answers for how they’ll address the health and safety issues endemic to an open office that COVID-19 has laid bare.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
My favorite are the thumbscrews with plastic notches for screwdrivers, so if you give up on life and try to use one to unscrew it, it just shreds the plastic instantly.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Thanatosian posted:

What we really need is email 2.0 with defined, standardized signature and quote blocks.

Let’s just clone Radium’s lovely code and have Email 2.0 formatted via SA’s BBCode implementation.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Bob Morales posted:

My old job, every department got cookies delivered yesterday.

Matches all the signs they have out front.

It would be a shame if they were used as, say, urinal cakes.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Hughmoris posted:

With vaccinations starting to (very slowly) roll out, has anyone heard rumblings about returning to office?

Well, in the Bay Area, things aren’t great, so it seems to have tamped down some of that talk. My employer said the offices would re-open upon widespread availability of the vaccine, and that they’d give a heads-up a quarter in advance. No word yet, so I’d guess H2 2021.

My org also went ahead and started offering to let people work partially to fully from home depending on the role once the offices re-open. There was a huge amount of institutional inertia behind the idea of requiring people to work from the office, but once that ran out, the justifications for requiring it were pretty thin.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Nazattack posted:

Is there a thing for "I have no mouth and I must scream" but it's about printers?

“I have no toner, and I must print.”

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Some product manager at Intel probably bought a boat with the bonus that innovation earned him.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Thanks Ants posted:

Seeing a new piece of (usually network) hardware released and the USB serial console is on a Mini-B connector. Not even Micro USB, or Type C which would be more appropriate for a new device, but a notoriously poo poo connector that nothing else has used for over ten years.

Do companies like Juniper and Cisco have millions of the ports in stock and don't want to waste them or something?

I’d bet it’s probably because if they changed it, they’d get a bunch of folks screaming about how their ten-year-old cable won’t work with it (and likely that their crazy company won’t let them expense a new cable because someone spent the entire IT budget on buying Chromebooks for the graphic design department).

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Who even has the mini-USB cables though? I feel like everyone went from DB9-to-RJ45 (rollover) to USB->DB9 converters, or the straight USB->RJ45 with the chip built in - I've never used a stupid mini-USB cable on a switch.

Oh, I’m more on the “can appreciate IT hell stories” side of the fence than the “living IT hell stories firsthand,” so I have no idea how reasonable that cable is in the context of networking gear. I’ve just noticed that “why is this gear arbitrarily different than what we’ve had in production for years” comes up with similar frequency to “why is this gear arbitrarily antiquated for what we’re putting in production for years.”

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I like how the naming of Edge obviously started from “we have to keep a blue E as an icon or else a ton of people won’t know how to go on the internet” and worked backwards from there.

In my days doing computer repair during the height of spyware, we’d often install Firefox on the computers of our “frequent fliers” and update the IE shortcuts to point to it but retain the IE icon.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I remember at my last job, MS sent some evangelists to talk up the upcoming release of Edge to the web UI engineers of the company. They spent like five minutes talking about how it was supposed to make our lives easier, how we shouldn’t worry about how IE would continue to be installed, and then spent the majority of the presentation talking about some feature that let tablet users draw all over a web page and share it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Capital-A Agile would have been better served with a high-falutin’ bullshit name like “Six Sigma”, because far too many people hear it and think it just means “nimble” or “responsive,” not realizing there’s a methodology behind it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Microsoft used to host Windows VMs with older versions of IE preinstalled, but it looks like they only go back to IE8 now.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Number_6 posted:

Why does Google Reviews have such a lovely implementation for users? (I'm talking about while web browsing on a PC). It's just so much worse than the interface for Amazon reviews, or even Yelp or Best Buy reviews.

Google reviews are constrained inside an arbitrary little box, so you can only see a few at a time. There's no option to toggle that into a full-screen, page-style view. You can't even navigate through the reviews by pages of results, instead the interface uses the straight-from-hell "endless scrolling" method of navigating ---which will take a thousand years if there are a large number of reviews.

You can't see a detailed distribution of the reviews (the specific count of 1-star, 2-star, 3-star, etc.). You can't search within the reviews for a user-specified keyword or phrase. There's no dedicated "Google Reviews" home page where I can search for businesses by name or distance from a location, or change any options like the number of results to display, etc.

It's almost total poo poo, for purposes of doing any serious research on a product or a business. Doesn't anyone notice?

:ssh: That interface is just there to justify the data collection. You’re not really who’s meant to consume it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Internet Explorer posted:

What's better than Confluence?

Screaming into the void.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There will only be Slack, some ticketing platform, and maybe Confluence.

Well, by the time you do it, Slack will already have some disaster of a JIRA and Confluence replacement built in so their app can consume all the memory.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

xzzy posted:

Getting a new job and inspecting the custom icons in their slack is a great way to figure out if any goons are in the organization.

There were a lot of SA emotes in my company’s Slack instance when I started, but the one I needed to use most, :negative:, was missing.

I solved that quickly.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Famethrowa posted:

listing Brackets rules. that's some king poo poo and I hope they got hired.

I realize it’s presumably in reference to the code editor, but in my mind I am pretending the candidate was actually referring to expansion slot brackets, and that they are very proud of being familiar with the use and operation thereof.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
More poo poo that pisses you off: that great, slouching beast: PDF.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Jack B Nimble posted:

What if he'd approached them with "not my phone number, don't know who's it is, hacked!!"

“Oh, we’re very sorry to hear that sir. We’d be happy to get that fixed for you, as your account security is of paramount importance to us. However, we’ll first need to add your phone number so our password reset system can text you the one-time code you’ll use to set a new password on your account.”

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Assuming they’re using the fairly common `libphonenumber` phone parsing and validation library, the OP might be able to get away with using a number and exchange typically used for testing under the NANP (ex. +1 ###-958-0123).

libphonenumber demo posted:

****Validation Results:****
Result from isPossibleNumber(): true
Result from isValidNumber(): true
Phone Number region: US
Result from getNumberType(): FIXED_LINE_OR_MOBILE

Of course, that will never be able to successfully verify the number, but if the goal is just to get Discord to forget about the old number without punching some actual person’s phone number in there, that might be enough.

YMMV, use at your own risk, etc., etc.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Sounds like they need a good project management tool to help them manage their product development.