Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I went looking for one recently because my work laptop has only two ports and sometimes I need a USB stick. Took way longer than expected. None of the places you used to find cheap lovely ones for 1-2 units currency have them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Friday:
"Remember to accept your invitiation to the report within 24 hours. The invitation will expire due to the sensitive data in the report".

Wednesday:
"Hey Arquinsiel I can't see the report????"

:smithicide:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sadly this happened on a Teams call.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I mean I told him to make sure he got to it on a teams call. Really I should have also emailed to "remind" him too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's true, clicking a link is definitely too much effort at 10AM. That's basically the weekend.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KillHour posted:

Really? Come on - this is in bad taste.

This kind of thing is a Matter of Much Debate in the security community right now. I come down on the side of it being both ineffective and scummy as gently caress.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm guessing it's because they're aware of Irish names.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Mailing programs should have thought of that before deciding to use it. It's only been a few hundred years of use and apparently the USA is full of us :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

cage-free egghead posted:

If I do actually lose my job this would be two jobs in less than a year that didn’t last even 6 months. How do you present that when talking to potential employers?

cage-free egghead posted:

I spent some time off over the loss of my kid.
You've answered your own question here. Getting that first interview might be a bit tougher but if anyone at all gives you poo poo over the best possible reason for having a bad year, then you know that they'll be poo poo to work for.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanks Ants posted:

Harmonising the fast charging technology is the more important development here I think
Penneys/Primark already sell USB cables with little adapters to change the end held on by a rubber band for a pittance. The connector issue is almost an irrelevance when adapters are that cheap.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The manager who gets the on-call bonus thinks it's a great idea.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Agrikk posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

Father-in-law’s complete inability to learn anything computer related. For the last 30 years it’s been an exercise in frustration and futility.

He contacted me because he was no longer able to receive email messages using outlook 2010. So help me God, outlook 2010.

Doing some digging I discovered that Gmail turned off third-party access for old email clients so I ended up having to migrate him to Thunderbird. I swear to God it’s like I just told him that his computer is a baseball bat for the amount of confusion that Thunderbird has created.

I keep trying to explain that he needs to change his mental model and just replace the word outlook with the word Thunderbird anytime he does anything with email. But he is just. So. Confused.

But he is 85.
You hosed around and changed the name and the icon for the shortcut, right?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KillHour posted:

There's a note on file for my Verizon account that was put there by the chief customer officer's private secretary. It says "Don't ever touch anything in Killhour's rack except the fiber termination." I haven't had any problems since.
Back in the long ago before Verizon bought Eir and before they changed the name from Eircom I was living in my parents there was a note on their account that told their techs to hang up if my parents tried to put me on the line. Half-assed anti-piracy measures would break and kill the internet at random, and I'd bypass them to prove that the issue was on their end and not ours (DNS haiku goes here), or they'd refuse to accept something like "modem is dead" and insist on digging up the street to lay new cables. Literally anything rather than just admit I knew my poo poo and pissing away money to do it. Verizon are, somehow, less terrible than Eircom used to be.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yup, that IPv6 address is in spf.protection.outlook.com's SPF1 line. Working as intended.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I kind of love the image of her carefully shrinking them all to fit on the one page and then being really confused when they come out small.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Breetai posted:

Tangentially to Lum's post, can anyone with more of an idea than I explain to me in words of one syllable why Microsoft Office products are such absolute dogshit with regards to copy/pasting between or even within products? It's literally faster to paste a small block of text into notepad, re-copy it, and then paste into the target application rather than doing it directly. Pasting text shouldn't lock both programs for 10+ seconds.
I think that Office likes to copy all the XML for the text formatting across too for "reasons" :airquote:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Fool posted:

I use Teams every day, it's fine.
I hate that it doesn't remove the notification for a reaction if you view the message, and instead forces you to go look at it again in the notification panel.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ptier posted:

And now with entering the post-security world posted in the other thread:

https://www.cisa.gov/uscert/ncas/current-activity/2022/07/05/prepare-new-cryptographic-standard-protect-against-future-quantum

Its doom and gloom all the way down today.
The worst thing about this kind of article is that when you ask how exactly a quantum computer will break encryption they go "because quantum", and if you really push them they'll mutter something about it being faster.

At no point does anyone sit down and think what threat model your organisation has to have where you are worrying about quantum computer owning attackers and how few of that ~50 entities give a poo poo about your webstore selling cat t-shirts.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ptier posted:

The main thrust is that there WILL BE a quantum computer that can do such a thing because math, and the kind of math those computers seem to be good at, at least theoretically. And eventually, they will be cheap and easy to acquire, as with all computing technology. If we start working on a successor to PKI then, it will be way too late. So, instead, lets do it now so that when it does happen, we at least have something to work with.

The real problem is that if there is a flaw in the algo, NSA has like a 50/50 shot of not telling anyone until its too late.
Well they're claiming that they've got one and it'll be released in two years, and either it works fine or the NSA have backdoored it, but either way this is basically just pointless scaremongering because any organisation that needs to care should just be plugging a new library into their existing suites and deprecating known weak suites as they're broken.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Because once they pop the key you used, everything you ever did that they were able to packet capture is now trivially readable? Making the standard and pushing people to it now means that in 15 years when quantum computers are expensive commodity hardware instead of bespoke fiddly research tools, most of the interesting-enough-to-hack parties are no longer using vulnerable crypto.

Now I wonder how long it would take one of the cutting edge quantum computers to break the wallet key for Satoshi's Bitcoin Hoard.
The first part is just what happens when any key gets popped and the party that popped it has captures. I've been hearing this same story of it being "any minute now" for almost 20 years, plus people are still using DES for TLS and the world hasn't ended.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Midnight, three days into a pentest.

quote:

Hey do you want the URL of the webapp we want tested now?
WTF was in the spreadsheet of domains and IP addresses you gave me on Friday?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Not that it'd make much difference but here:

bull3964 posted:

Me: "This guy is really good and we'll be in a bad place if we lose him."
HR: "Well, he's already senior staff engineer and our data shows he's making a market rate."
You: "your data is wrong because <reasons>".

At least it'd get you an entertaining response.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlowBloke posted:

Welcome to European public sector where anything but computer janitoring requires a degree.
The Irish public sector is common entry via multiple choice exam, prioritising speed over anything else. Once you get in you do your time on the phones until you've built up enough connections to win the promotion competition, and you might eventually end up working somewhere tangentially related to whatever degree you had when you went in. It explains a lot.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanks Ants posted:

They only recently fixed Excel so that it didn't scroll by full cells making it very annoying to use when people are using it wrong and putting blocks of text in huge cells
On a related note: gently caress Greenbone.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ConfusedUs posted:

Dude's already becoming a legend internally.

He was fairly highly placed too. Fifteen-year tenure. "Architect" title. Once ran a team of six. He and his team are business-critical for an entire segment of customers.

Apparently he was terminated less than an hour after that meeting.
You can't really reply to "I quit" with "no actually you're fired" without looking worse.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Did a pentest for a client last week. This week they get an alert from their firewall about a connection to a suss IP. Ask me if it was me, I check what they've got and I can tell them with 100% certainty that I am not working for that particular APT group, and also all my activities ended on Friday morning.

They now assume that I know "something" and am happy to help with DFIR. I'm not sure they realise that my company is not their company, and we will expect to get paid for my time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bargearse posted:

I can't think of anyone who has actual good documentation, but Microsoft's doc's are at least not too painful to deal with.
The worst thing about Microsoft docs is the lag time between an Azure feature going live or moving and the docs being published for it, but then having the old docs still floating around clogging up search results. Once you actually find the right page you are usually golden.

IP addresses can be represented in a fuckton of stupid ways. I've been in your position more than once when going "okay why are you storing the inverse mask of an individual address rather than just the address itself?" and getting shrugs in response.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ConfusedUs posted:

Company said "this is your JFK moment: ask not what your company can do for you, but what you can do for your company." gently caress that

ConfusedUs posted:

Also, for entirely unrelated reasons, I applied to 16 jobs today.
Nice to see you're doing your part to cut their payroll budget :golfclap:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
American bank stories always make my head hurt, and I hate Irish banks plenty from all the stupid poo poo they pull :psyduck:

FISHMANPET posted:

A few weeks ago I talked to a vendor at a conference, gave them my email address to enter their raffle, I know how the game is played. I do not give them any phone numbers. A week later I get a message from my mom, some guy from <vendor> called her looking for me. Well now this week the same guy finally got around to emailing me. How the hell did he get my mom's phone number? Why in the hell did he think it was remotely acceptable to call that number?

For reference I'm 35, married, haven't lived at home since high school, and I don't even have the same last name as my mom, so just completely off-the-wall inappropriate, for so many reasons.
Email back and ask. Pretend to be an EU citizen if you aren't actually one and cite Article 15 of the GDPR. Most of the time they just poo poo themselves and go silent, but once in a while you get some fun panic out of it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yesterday:
Me: "hey I found an client side desync and I used it to pop an XSS, here's a screenshot of your site with the code visible in the console and the alert containing all relevant cookies as a PoC. This error is in your frontend code and here are the steps you need to take to diagnose and fix it".

Today
Client: "here's a link to a post on the nginx forums that says nginx doesn't have that vulnerability".

:smithicide:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

shame on an IGA posted:

today I learned it's not pronounced "In jinks"
I heard it pronounced before I ever saw it written, so I've always just assumed the guy who told me was right.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
I have been that soldier :respek:

xzzy posted:

I had someone get a little huffy with me when I pronounced it "n geenks" and yet they call the database "my sequel" so basically IT people are impossible to work with.
I refuse to call it anything other than "misquil". Makes it sound like I'm on a quest to find cough syrup in Rivendell or some poo poo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GreenBuckanneer posted:

y'all don't say it "ngix"?
I don't say it at all. One of the perks of remote work and dealing with everything via email.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not even in your head?
I rarely come across it TBH. I gently caress up the frontend and probably know what kind of DB you're running, but I barely ever pay attention to the specific webserver unless I've managed to upload a shell and I want to try pop it.

Agrikk posted:

"skuzzy...?" Oh you mean S.C.S.I.?
This one got my in my first tech internship.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
poo poo on someone's desk.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Agrikk posted:

There is no oncall rotation so if a page comes in, Agrikk is not on call.
FTFY.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Every time I see Stack Overflow come up I am reminded that the founder thinks the site is polished and has a good community :psyduck:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Two and a half weeks is plenty of time to line up an interview or two.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GreenBuckanneer posted:

When hiring for my military contractor position, it takes about 3+ months to hire someone on
Okay so Breetai can't go work there. That narrows the search down!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

The underside of the A connector has the seam on it. Finding the direction on what you're working with is up to the individual tech, but the seam is always down.
I am pretty sure I have at least one old cable with the seams on the sides.