Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

bringmyfishback posted:

Oh, this happened today:

We were playing this game where students have to identify a K-pop song and singer/band by reading or listening to the English lyrics. In case you weren't aware, Korean pop music, much like J-pop or...really any East Asian pop, has random amounts of (occasionally good) English sprinkled throughout most songs. The point of the game was 1. To help the kids practice their listening/reading/translating skills, and 2. To eat up the last day before vacation, because god loving forbid they give us Monday off if Tuesday and Wednesday are off and it's the complete end of the school year ARGH WHY.

Another thing you need to know is that there is a popular (male) Korean singer named G-Dragon.

Each question had a hint as to solo or group song, singer gender, year of release, etc. My kids got stumped on one (female, released this year) and asked for a hint.

I gave them "G."

One boy screamed, "G-DRAGON!"

"What? No, it's a girl, see? Solo girl song."

He came running from the back of the classroom to tell me the following: "No, teacher, is G-Dragon's mother. Her name is Mama G-Dragon. And she is solo because G-Dragon's father is...die."

I could not give him points, but how I wanted to!

Are there enough ESL goons to make a separate thread? I have a few things that are less poo poo kids say (because they're adults) and more funny/insanely observant things ESL students say.

E for content: my niece is an odd brand of very smart and very imaginative, so she's very logical but still believes in Santa. Last year, when she was 7, she explained that Santa lives in the North Pole, and if he wasn't real then where would the elves who live there work?

defectivemonkey has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Dec 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Trivial Fursuit posted:

The first time my (four years old) son saw me in contacts, he looked at me for a long time, before saying "daddy, you're not wearing your glasses... have you LOST them?!" in a very accusatory voice.

A perfectly understandable question, mind, but it didn't stop me from cracking up.

Kids get very sassy when you lose something. I broke my phone once by dropping it and my niece said "well, sounds like she should have been paying more attention". When my sister dropped her phone in the toilet her daughter ran around telling everyone, "mommy pooped her phone".

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
While at a crowded restaurant showing soccer on TV:

:v: Who's playing?
:): It looks like British teams.
:v: I HATE BRITISH PEOPLE!
:stare: What? Why?
:v: THEY TRIED TO TAKE OUR FREEDOM AND FOUGHT A WAR WITH US!

It's fun when a person is really smart and pays attention in school and doesn't really have a gasp of timeframes.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
At the grocery store the other day, a 4-year-old-ish girl kept saying (loudly) to her mom "MOM, EVERYBODY LIKES ME."

I hope that confidence never goes away :3:

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
My 8-year old niece just started using the word "insulted" in the best context (note: she has braces)

"The only thing that really insulted me was that popcorn stand"
"I didn't get the chocolate pretzel flavor because I was really insulted by it"

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
My 8-year-old niece: "You know how young people when they use the internet use abbreviations for things like "lol" instead of "laugh out loud"? I'm going to quiz you to see if you know what those mean".

Her quiz included "lol", "btw" and "brb". Today she texted me (from my mom's phone): "Hi. OMG means Oh My Gosh."

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Nekodoshi posted:

So i have another real gem for you guys, in thr continuing saga of my niece.
She brought me a piece of paper and a pencil, and demanded i draw her mommy. I majored (briefly) in art in college, so what the hell, instead of a stick figure, i tried to legitimately sketch my sister. Bad idea.
My niece took a very critical glance and gave a huge frown. "You messed up my mommy. Her face is crooked!" She then pointed to my sister, who began laughing. "She looks like that!"
She didnt stop there. Oh no, she was channeling Simon Cowell. "You ruined my picture! I cant keep this!" She frigging threw it away while I watched. "I have to throw this away now because you ruined my mommy!"
My sister was in tears at that point. My niece then apprpached me, and said "you hurt my feelings with your drawing. Dont ever do that again!"

Im so glad I dropped out of art classes. Only her daddy (a graphic designer for a local company) is allowed to draw now.

It happens to professionals, too.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
At a viewing yesterday, my 10-year-old niece asked me, "how do they get the suit on him without getting grossed out?"

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Mulloy posted:

Prior to the local amusement park we went to Disneyland and she got one of those minnie mouse hats with the bridal veil/train on it. I randomly picked it up and put it on and said "Look! I'm a Disney Princess!" and immediately she responded with "No Dad, you're a Disney Queen."

Throughout her life we've spoken to her with normal English, so she's never had the "baby" accent or what have you, but it pains me when I have to correct her. So far my desire to have her speak clearly has caused me to put an end to "Murdercycle" for motorcycle and "cantaloupe" for Antelope. (She was very excited to have found cantaloupe tracks.)

My niece called tomatoes "nay-nos" for way too long because we refused to stop encouraging it.

Now her emoji game is top notch when she texts me on her grandma's phone (if you ignore the constant use of the smiling poop). The best one from her recent vacation was "I am kicking back and relaxing!!! [flying money flying money flying money]"

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

My boyfriend and I are visiting some friends in about a month. Their three year old is very excited about it, despite not having seen us since he was tiny. Apparently he's been asking every day when "Auntie Spider and Uncle Bug" are going to get there.

*my name sounds nothing like spider, but my boyfriend's name rhymes with bug. I think the kid just remembered that those two things kinda go together :3:

Powercouple Glider and Thug itt

It's time for my niece's school fundraiser. I got a nice email explaining the cause and her goal and asking for help this year.

This is in sharp contrast to the email she sent the first year in this school: "Please send two checks". Everyone in the family got different versions. "I need money by Friday" and "Will you send $20". My mom thought she had been held hostage. My sister quickly emailed everyone and explained that they had written a nice email together, and as soon as she left the room my niece decided it was too detailed and she needed to get to the point quicker.

I still love the "two checks". She knew if my husband and I sent money separately, she would get twice as much.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Axiem posted:

My daughter has on multiple occasions over the past few months stated that her favorite super hero is "Darth Vader!"

My niece's favorite Harry Potter character is He who shall not be named because he doesn't have a nose.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
You might have to show him OZ when he gets older to re-scare him but good work finding a game that involves cleaning!

My niece was obsessed for a while with a game where I picked her up and "put her in the oven" (threw her on the sofa). She's never tried to cook anyone as far as I know.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Die Laughing posted:

I was dressed up as Batman for Free Comic Book Day on Saturday. Taking pictures with cute kids makes me smile. At least two 7-8 year old kids reminded me that Batman doesn't smile.

I hope you said "well, he's not not supposed to have a gun either".

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Nekodoshi posted:

My niece has grown into a real trip of a 4-year-old. She's learned sass. Today she slunk away from her parents in a parking lot to sneak into my car so I would take her home. She closed the door, and when her dad went to get her, she rolled down the window, looked him right in the eye and clicked her seat belt. "Too bad, so sad, I'm already in here."

She can also keep a Warhead in her mouth for a whole seven seconds and con a person into making her scrambled eggs with a single smile. Gangster.

Yesss my niece was like this. She's now a preteen it's less adorable. I also have a 2-year-old nephew who doesn't talk yet. But if he is mad at you or you try to tell him to do or not do something he will blow you a kiss, wave goodbye, and walk away. It is badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
My nephew is 2 and speech delayed so he mostly signs. When a baby cries he always thinks the baby needs milk and signs "milk" to his mom (usually while pointing to her chest).

This is great when he knocks his little brother over, his little brother cries, and he tells his mom the baby must need milk.