Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
OK, I'm thinking about throwing Owen Turtenwald's Mono Red Aggro together for a few FNMs, until I can find something that will be more suited for the meta that will shake down in my store, but I can't get quite everything locally, and am not sure I can justify another 70 bucks to complete a deck I don't plan to use for more than a month or two. The strikethroughs are ones that I'm currently short on. The cards I have are at http://www.deckbox.org/sets/302914

30 28 Creatures
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Firefist Striker
4 Foundry Street Denizen
2 Goblin Shortcutter
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Rakdos Cackler

8 Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Shock

22 19 Lands
18 Mountain
4 1 Mutavault

15 14 Sideboard Cards
3 2 Boros Reckoner
1 Skullcrack
2 Hammer of Purphoros
1 Act of Treason
3 Flames of the Firebrand
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Peak Eruption

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Ok, here's my first shot at creating a new standard mill deck. I'm going to be honest, this deck is poo poo, for now. I'm mostly trying to throw something together to get the Duskmantle Guildmage-Jace, MA interaction with ConsAberr condition out here for fine tuning. I'm really going to be dependent on you guys to get the rest of the deck in shape, as I don't really know what mill is still in standard. It's for FNM. Win conditions are: Get Jace out along with Duskmantle Guildmage, pump out dMG's first ability, run Jace's 0 ability, reduce opponent to 0, as well as get ConsAberr out, pump him big, swing for the fences.

That's why I call this deck: http://deckbox.org/sets/493665
Land:
4 Dimir Guildgate
7 Island
6 Swamp
3 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave

4 Sinister Possession
4 Tome Scour
4 Chronic Flooding
4 Duskmantle Guildmage
3 Ordeal of Erebos
4 Paranoid Delusions
4 Wight of Precinct Six
4 Mind Rot
4 Pilfered Plans
1 Duskmantle Seer
2 Consuming Aberration
3 Jace, Memory Adept
4 Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

inSTAALed posted:

Here is the version of this deck that I am currently working with:

Sort of similar. My sideboard is probably horrible because I have no idea what should be in it. I am running four guildmages because I have found they are hard to get out and keep out. When the deck curves out for the turn 6 kill, it is awesome.

millburn drysdale

Here's my new version, brought more into line with yours. I splashed red in there because I don't have Hero's downfall, but I do have dreadbore, and I think laying out a couple of blood crypts and steam vents might confuse my opponents a bit.

It feels like the deck might be helped by a way to force the opponents to discard more from their hand, to reduce their answers, though.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 3, 2013

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I forgot about breaking. I threw it in.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
That Maze's End fog deck that was posted a few days ago, is there any way to run it with 3 Supreme Verdicts instead of 4?I'm having trouble finding a 4th one locally, and that's the last card I need.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Ok, here's the two decks I've assembled the pieces of. maze's end Fog, and Millburn Drysdale.

Anyone want to take a look at these and give me tweaking advice? I'm running one or the other at standard Friday night. No clue on the meta.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Well, poo poo, I was pulling the cards for my decks, and realized they both call for two Cyclonic Rifts, and I only have two. Looks like I need to make another game store run.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Crosswell posted:

Just so you know, the Theros event deck is very far from being standard legal. This happened to our store, and I'm sure many others on release Friday.

You're wrong.

It might not be competitive, but unless they banned something...

Which they didn't.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 12, 2013

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Equality posted:

Hey guys! I'm new to MTG and was planning on buying the Theros Event Deck to play in my LGS' FNM standard events. Could any of you take a look at the deck and give your opinions as to whether it would be possible for me to compete with the deck against battle-hardened decks with plainswalkers and what cards I should try to replace with a limited budget of about 20 Euro a week or so? I would really appreciate any advice!

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1329

EDIT: For example I bought a Fat Pack and pulled 2x Daxos - Is this is good card to try to integrate in this deck? Should I think about building a red deck revolving around the best card I got in my Fat Pack - Purpheros God?

Thanks again for any feedback!

If you're going to be spending 20 euros a week, do something like Red Deck Wins, or something like maze's end fog. Both decks, especially maze's end fog, are really inexpensive, for the format.
Also, white weenie ethereal is really accessible, with only 10 out of the 75 being over 50 cents right now.

http://deckbox.org/sets/490248

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 12, 2013

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Mr. Peepers posted:

Looking at that weenie list, I feel like you could go even more budget by dropping the spears, god, and Ajani and bringing in, say, 2 Path of Bravery and 2 Cavalry Pegasus and swap out Chosen by Heliod with Ordeal of Heliod.

He did say 20 euros a week. Heliod's 4,50 euros over there.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
You could drop Purp to 3. Don't want it in your opening hand.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

You'll probably miss out on quite a bit, actually. The deck is heavily reliant on red but you always want 1 or 2 black, preferably which can also tap for red. That said, it's a fun deck, so don't let a little inefficiency stop you from playing the best deck in standard.

I have at least 1 spare Crypt if you want to PM me to work out a trade. Or post in the trading thread.

Edit: and it's spelled "MURDERGOATS!"

If I'm building MURDERGOATS!, but am shy 2 mutavaults, what should I substitute?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Are there any current decks that just completely hose UW or UWB Control? The only thing I can think of is basically building RDW and then splashing in RW duals for Boros Charm and Legion's Initiative. Obviously Chandra's Phoenix is a 4-of too.

Or is the best anti-Control deck just another Control deck? I'm sick to death of Supreme Verdict and Sphinx's Revelation and I want to build a deck that fucks them over super hard, if such a deck should exist.

Maze's End Fog is hilarious against control.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Now I just have to sell my soul or my foil deathrite shaman for the purphoros'.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Well, my murdergoats deck is being slowed down by the fact that my local store doesn't have any Purphoros'. I might have to go a little farther afoot, or actually trade cards with other people.

I think, to maximize my trolling opportunities, i might main deck slaughter games, just to choose the one guy I pissed off's gray merchants as soon as i see he's playing his black deck, and choose his stormbreath dragon when he's rolling red.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 22, 2013

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I have a confession to make. I went from Bant Hexproof last season to this. I'm constantly loving up decisions because I spent so long playing an autopilot deck. I don't even understand how I placed at a small FNM last week, much less had no match losses. I'm having fun doing odd things to people.

Other MURDERGOATERS, what's been the reaction of the people you've played against?

I'm still hopeful, thinking about taking advantage of TNLG's buy list and stock of purphoros, but if it's as much fun as it looks, which is even more fun than making people bitch about Maze's End Fog, and is as out of left field in my meta as Maze's End Fog was, I may come back with a shiv made out of white bordered swamps in my back.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Quick and dirty:
Swing for the fences when you're free and clear. Don't be afraid to go to the dome with burn.
Sac in response to removal, to position yourself for a win, or to outright win.
Keep hands with three lands and creatures, removal, or a mix of those. Basically if you have a turn one or two play you'll be ok more often than not. If you get an opening had along the lines of gate/basic/basic/purph/post/keyune/molten birth, mull it. For six, you just want three lands and a 2 cmc card.

As for adding Pack Rats, I've been mucking with the numbers for it on deckstats. My paper builds are a bit tight and kinda greedy so it became an issue of looking at what works best where. I already moved Rakdos's Return to my board, so scaled back on doom blade, keyrune, and molten birth to cram three in. I actually CAN'T do this on paper right now, so I'll have to stay with deckstats or try it online at some point.

I JUST started screwing with this and it's likely to change a few times over the next hour or so: http://deckstats.net/decks/107/35329-murder-goats-v2-5

edit: ohey I have no tickets online and pack rats went up to over 1 tix. go figure.

Well, I moved a bit closer to paper MURDERGOATS!.dec today. Needed 2 Mutavaults, 2 Rakdos's Returns, 2 Molten Births, a Rakdos Charm, 4 Tymarets, Murder King, and 3 Purphorosi. Got everything but 2 Tymarets, 2 Mutavaults, and 2 Purphorosi.

The owner of my local store realized he'd sold all his Godless Shrines and Temple of Silences out of his deck, and was hosed on his mana base, so he put a post on facebook offering 12 bucks credit per Godless Shrine and 8 bucks credit per Temple of Silence. I loaned him the cards initially, and yesterday took him up on the deal, so I could build MURDERGOATS! I got all those cards and still have like 3 bucks credit. Because I was nice to him initially, he broke down his B/R deck and hooked me up. I'm going to trade in my foil DRS and foil Kalonian Hydra somewhere to finish it off.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Then I just need two Tyveks, Murdersuit King, and two Purphori

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Murdergoats! didn't do very well for me last week, but I didn't get much chance to look at it or come up with any potential plays for it. I didn't even have a chance to sleeve up before I got to FNM, because I had to drive a ways away to get the rest of what i needed. What do you suggest?

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 31, 2013

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
BTEs turning up by turn 3 were the best possible appearance of any card I might have seen with my Gates deck. Free 2/2 blocker(s) all day long :getin:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Well, I'm thinking I'm going to give MURDERGOATS! 2.5 a rest this friday. I have everything for Turtelwald's RDW except two reckoners and an ash zealot. Aside from adding two more shocks, what would you recommend changing to get it up to 60 cards? It's a modern night, but I don't have much modern except for Scars of Mirrodin to now.

I mean, it's either that, or looking through what I have to see what I can change in Maze's End Fog.

Links are below:

RDW

Maze's End Fog

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Deck: Red Deck Wins

Lands
19 Mountain
3 Mutavault

Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock

Creatures
4 Ash Zealot
2 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Firefist Striker
4 Rakdos Cackler

Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mindsparker
2 Hammer of Purphoros
4 Burning Earth

Yeah, I'm trying to do this too, but mine's for a modern night. Any other suggestions as to what I should add in? I have a poo poo ton of burn spells.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

kizudarake posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to do this too, but mine's for a modern night. Any other suggestions as to what I should add in? I have a poo poo ton of burn spells.

Here's what i ended up with after playing around:

Lands
19 Mountain
3 Mutavault

Spells
2 Lightning Bolt
2 Lightning Strike
4 Incinerate
4 Shock
1 Lava Spike

Creatures
4 Ash Zealot
2 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Firefist Striker
4 Rakdos Cackler

Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mindsparker
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Burning Earth
3 Fireball
2 Molten Rain

I've goldfished with it, and, as long as I get 2 or more land in my opening hand, I'm hardly running into trouble, even with 22 land and 39 spells. I'm going to look at the local store tonight for Rift Bolts, Lightning Bolts, Lava Spikes and searing spears, even though I have some, since I don't want to dig anymore into my collection today. I have too many boxes, not enough labels.

I'm taking my Maze's End Fog deck, too, depending on who's there. If the dude that ragequit against me and told me that he wished I'd die at game day doesn't apologize, then I'm running it with Slaughter Games maindeck. He only runs monocolor, and always red or black, and I know what his win conditions are.

Game 1: T4 - Slaughter Games Gary the Merchant or Stormbreath Dragon.
Awww, yeah...:hellyeah:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

kizudarake posted:

Here's what i ended up with after playing around:

Lands
19 Mountain
3 Mutavault

Spells
2 Lightning Bolt
2 Lightning Strike
4 Incinerate
4 Shock
1 Lava Spike

Creatures
4 Ash Zealot
2 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Firefist Striker
4 Rakdos Cackler

Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mindsparker
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Burning Earth
3 Fireball
2 Molten Rain

Well, I went -2 Lightning Strike, -4 Shock, +1 lightning bolt, +1 Searing Spear, +3 Lava Spike, +1 rift bolt.

When it went off, it went off loving awesome. I won games in every round, but lost matches generally to manascrew. I think if I run this again, I'm dropping the mutavaults for mountains. I really regret not sideboarding in some burning earths and molten rains during game 2s, though.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

a dozen swans posted:

I feel like overloaded Cyclonic Rift is a good response for Grey Merchant or Fanatic. Curse of the Swine looks like good utility for problem creatures (since the 2/2s can then just get blocked forever), and it also hoses devotion. Dismiss Into Dream / Blustersquall seems like it might be a useful Plan B (Skygames might also be a good choice for infinite creature removal), and it gets around indestructability as a nice bonus. Shipbreaker Kraken seems like a fun one-of, and if you want to splash black Whispering Madness looks like another sideboard kill spell against Slaughter Games.

With cyclonic rift, you still have to take the devotion hit of even just one or two damage from Moogie's boy and Gary.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

bhsman posted:

I lucked into a bunch of trades and walked away with 3 copies of Purphoros and Blood Crypt, with hopefully more on the way. MURDERGOATS. :getin:

I tried running MURDERGOATS! 2.5! with only three Purphori in it, and just never saw one in 8 total games. I know my shuffling's not great, but I really think it needs 4. Also, TCG has near mint ones showing for 8 bucks, so you might try running a fourth in there, even if you just proxy it a while, just for testing.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I definitely agree with this. The times I drew an extra Purph when I had 4 far outweigh the times I don't draw one when I do with 3. It's not like Tymaret, where he's pretty likely to die at some point so having a spare isn't usually a bad thing. Not to mention if you do have Purphuros and 2 Tymarets, you can just recur Tymaret as much as you want for RRB1: Shock. Not exactly efficient, but it can be pretty hard to play against. Chump block with Tymaret, sac to get graveyard Tymaret back. The damage prevented and done adds up pretty quick.

My favorite part of this whole deck though? Using Trading Post as a Forcefield.

I'm thinking about, as a test for how I shuffle, switching purphoros, tymaret, and young pyromancer's sleeves for a different color, just to see how bad I am at mash shuffling. I really don't think I should be having as much trouble as I am with my guys, even though I'm playing with cardboard, and you guys, at least some of you, are in person.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Does anyone have a list of all the fog effects in modern? I have an alternate RDW build depending on standard or modern, I might as well build an alternate Maze's End fog.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
The url's broken.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah, the url tag doesn't seem to like it. Just copy and paste the whole thing.

Edit: or not. I don't know why posting the link makes it stop working.

Well for some reason it's adding the URL tag automatically, but in the wrong place. Just copy/paste and take out the [url][/url] and you should be good.

Can you email it to me? Copy/paste doesn't like it either on an iPad. It's my username at gmail.com

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
It's even more fun to cast T4 slaughter games and exile grey merchants.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I started thinking about MURDERFARM last night, and realized something so very awesome about this deck. We're running a deck that is Chick Tract-level Satan worshipping here. Tymaret is sacrificing goats to a god so that we can call down lightning from the sky to hit our enemies. Purphoros is answering our prayers for creatures by raining fire down upon our enemies. Young Pyromancer is like a little brother who wants to be like his big sis, Chandra, so he's dressing up like her and trying to play, too.

Goddamn, I love this loving game.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Speaking of affinity, what's the best cards to disrupt it? There's a guy at my LGS that brings it in every modern night, and he always takes first.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'm mostly running red, so looks like 4x shattering spree, 4x ancient grudge, and 3 burning earth are going sideboard, maybe 3 blood moon.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Algid posted:

Ancient grudge is good, shattering spree not so good, and burning earth and blood moon are terrible against affinity.

Do you really want to waste 3 mana and a card to try to shut down some manalands against the fastest aggro deck in the meta that also happens to have nearly all colorless spells have 7~8 sources of nonland mana and occasionally runs lightening bolt+?.

The problem with shattering spree is ravager and occasionally spellskite from the side. You really want your 2 for 1 removal to actually work as intended, which won't happen if they're on the stack at the same time and your opponent can respond as needed to each copy.

edit: Since you're in red, run pyroclasm, it's pretty decent against affinity.

The blood moons are to ruin everyone else's non-affinity decks.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
My LGS is running a Tcgplayer max points bronze standard event on the 11th, with a :20bux: entry fee. I think the prize structure is going to be basically limited to points, playmats, and invitations to the next bigger event, so I want to top 4 minimum. I know murderfarm is a big no on that, so I'm not running it. Maze's end fog is tempting, but I'm worried about devotion decks, so I'm looking at Rakdos aggro or mono-red aggro/devotion. Anyone have a good decklist for that?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Try running minimum 3 slaughter games, and on T4, name Gary.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Deckit posted:

Running three Slaughter Games in sideboard. I'm sticking away from Elspeth for now. Chances are someone has a way to deal with it more than Assemble the Legion. Plus I get to slap it down and yell "ASSEMBLE THE LEGION! :black101:"

I like running main deck on slaughter games, at best, by T4, I know where their deck is going, and can name Stormbreath or Gary, or Elspeth, etc., and hurt them badly, next best, I'm holding two slaughter games T4, and have gotten a free look at what the gently caress they're sitting on to name it T5, and at worst, I know what they're holding and can plan what to do with my top decks better.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'm a little surprised and impressed by that build. I hadn't seen one that ran Selesnya Charm in the main before. Also surprised a little by the forests in your maindeck. Usually, when I tested 26 lands in my build, I always got flooded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Deckit had the latest new deck list for it on page 47. It was a big switch from what I'd been running.

Here's the rakdos aggro standard I'm planning on running Saturday at the local tcgplayer bronze event. I'm looking for last minute updates on it, so I can hopefully pilot it to a top 4 win.

4 Blood Crypt
8 Mountain
10 Swamp
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Tormented Hero
2 Doom Blade
4 Lightning Strike
4 Madcap Skills
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak
4 Spike Jester
1 Thrill-Kill Assassin
4 Mogis's Marauder