Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Read
Dec 21, 2010

Saxophone posted:

How the hell do you even kill wall of flesh with normal mode gear? I've got full molten armor with obsidian skull and the rose that lets me touch lava and not die and I'm just getting demolished and I don't feel like I'm doing much damage to it at all. I suppose I will potion up and see if that helps but yikes. I get the little feelers dead and then the wall to like 6k/8k health and then just die horribly. By then, I can't catch up with him and he'll have despawned. Oy.

Demon Scythe will wreck the WoF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Vatek posted:

Once you can get drills they are generally far superior to picks in terms of mining speed. I believe the only exception is the pickaxe which is the best mining tool in the game.

They're the same.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

canepazzo posted:

I just found out the Nymph sells them and I felt quite silly spending so much time farming :downs:

Do you mean the Dryad? The Nymph is the transformed version of the Lost Girl enemy.

I think she only sells them if she's in a mushroom biome, but I'm not 100% sure.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Dizz posted:

If I'm going to farm for biome keys, Do I have to go way deep for a chance of it dropping? or can I just sit at the top and kill stuff there?

You just have to be in the biome.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

I dropped a jungle key on my first foray into the hardmode jungle. I peed all over a wasp for it. Now where is the chest to use it? In the dungeon? Can I use it in a easy mode world?

The chest is in the dungeon, yes you can open it in a normal mode world.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

s1ppycup posted:

Randomly had a crimson key drop, and then frantically searched for the crimson chest to claim my Vampire Knives. Vampire Knives, besides being completely insane in their own right, are even more awesome when combined with a Fire Gauntlet -- the knives get a flaming particle effect that provides excellent illumination.

I've found the Hallow/Corruption keys normally, but I've been farming Crimson w/ pygmies for like 3 days on and off without getting it :(.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Use a spelunker potion in the jungle and play on a multiplayer server so it's constantly growing. Those are the two biggest things.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

I realised that a lot of people on the internet are to popular culture what Sigmund Freud was to cocks - they see references everywhere.
Or it could be called the Rainbow Rod because it's a rod that shoots (really lovely) rainbows.

You don't know the half of it, you should check some of the other wiki pages.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Vatek posted:

As far as I can tell, the explosive trap that triggers a dynamite blast is an instant kill no matter what gear you're wearing. I'm not even sure if they're connected by wires or if traps placed by the worldgen are just automagically paired with their respective pressure plates.

I've survived lots of times and depending on the materials around the trap it can do 0 damage because it won't reach you.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Hey I just noticed this in the new patch notes.

What the hell :stare: bit of an overreaction to the cheesing eh? I mean I like to fight the guy legit, I think it's a really fun boss.

I think you're thinking of Skeletron? The Dungeon Guardian is his head which protects the dungeon, has 9999 HP, so much defense that you can only deal 1 dmg (2 on a crit) and who previously dealt 7000 dmg on hit.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

TwystNeko posted:

I died too much, no platinum for me. :(

Also, what's the "star band"? No item on the wiki by that name. What's it do? I just crafted a mana flower, so that'll help.

The Band of Starpower is an accessory that adds +20 max mana.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Keiya posted:

I did some testing and it didn't seem explosive resistant...

It's not a boolean, things aren't explosive resistant or not. They're more or less resistant. Titanium is more resistant than dirt, for instance.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

If you've beaten Plantera and gotten the Pygmy Staff, buy its two upgrades from the Witch Doctor then gather a bunch of meteor. Go to the biome you want the key from, place enough meteor that Meteor Heads start spawning, summon your forest friends, then just go for a walk or something. Placing a Water Candle would probably help.

He sells 5 upgrades, 3 pieces of Tiki Armour and the two accessories. Though you certainly don't need all of that to farm Meteor Heads, they're very weak. Oh, and you have to hold a Water Candle in your active hotbar slot for it to do anything.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

Not as of 1.2 you don't.

Whaaaat, for real? That's a really nice change.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Hummingbirds posted:

Anyone got any pointers for beating the twins? I beat them before back when they had more hp and did more damage but for some reason I just can't kill them now. I've been using a megashark with crystal bullets. And tons of buffs.

If they're really causing you problems, build a skybridge and run away from them while you shoot them.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Cyberventurer posted:

I just lucked into a Rod of Discord and there's no way this isn't getting nerfed at some point. There's absolutely no mana cost when using it and it doesn't require line of sight to your target, so you can basically zip around to any open area 3 times per second as long as your character can fit in the targeted spot. :stare:

Yeah I think it's my favourite item in 1.2.x.x, it's so much fun to use. You can also use it to rapidly travel across the map if you tele to the edge of the screen repeatedly.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Eh, I dunno. It's a non-combat item and it's endgame, so getting to zip around anywhere you want when you're near the end of the game is fine to me. Ditto if wings that let you infinitely fly ever get released.

EDIT: I wonder if it could be used to skip Plantera. Is there a guardian for the forest temple like the dungeon?

I tested the Jungle Dungeon as soon as I got it, I could teleport in no problem but this character has killed dozens of Planteras so I dunno if it would stop you otherwise.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Me and 3 friends played through together so when I went to make my Ankh Shield there were already 3 Nazars stashed away in one of our five thousand communal chests.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

I don't suppose there are any left because I found the first one and when I went off on my own now I don't have one :(

I found an extra one last night, server is down till Coff gets back though :(

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Been playing around with the infusions, Ichor with Vampire Knives is excellent. The damage bonus is far more significant than with most melee weapons because it's flat and Vampire Knives deals many smaller hits.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

See, he won't do that. I went mining for a while, he was still on the bottom floor. I quit/reload my game, still on the bottom floor. My housing says that it is valid, and his room is even listed with his stupid face on a banner, but he just won't go upstairs. This happened in both my worlds and it is frustrating as hell. :mad:

Kill him.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

When my NPCs spawn, they always spawn outside my house, then walk in. This has happened every single time. I don't know why, they just do. I'll get the "Merchant has arrived!" message, go up to my house, and he'll be out in my backyard getting his face eaten by slimes.

Even if you're nowhere near the house when they spawn? I dunno what else you could do then :(

Read
Dec 21, 2010

For anyone who's having the same problem with fluids not settling on a server as opposed to single player game, you can just type "settle" in console and it should fix the problem in ~5s.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

This requires there to be a Hive on your world though. I've fully explored the Underground Jungle on at least two worlds and I'm yet to see one. :(

Huh? Neither require a hive, you get Ichor to craft the flasks from Hardmode Crimson enemies and you get Crimson Knives from the Crimson Chest in the Dungeon.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

InfinityComplex posted:

I think he means the imbuing station.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Right. I forgot that was even a special thing you need.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

lohli posted:

It drops from chaos elementals(a hardmode enemy) so there's not really any chance of getting it really early on, you can use it to get into the jungle temple, and with wings or a jetpack you can apparently fall slowly enough and use the rod enough to gain altitude.

You don't even need the wings/jetpack to do it, you can just spam click at the edges of your screen and you'll gain altitude easily. It's an incredibly good item.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Hmm, sounds interesting as gently caress, but I'm just not getting how it could be used to gain altitude, could either of you elaborate for me please? I'm a bit dumb.

You can teleport repeatedly, for no mana cost, anywhere on the screen your character fits. So if you wanted to get to the top of the map, all you have to do is teleport to the top of your screen over and over. You'll fall a small distance between the teleports, but it's not nearly enough to prevent you from gaining altitude (provided you don't run at like 800x600 or something, I guess). You can similarly use this to rapidly travel across the overworld by teleporting to the top right/top left over and over, it's even faster than running on asphalt with lightning boots AFAIK.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Has anyone tested the interaction if 5 people all wear paladin shields all on the same team? Person 1 takes 100 points of dmg. 25% of this goes to players 2-5, and that 25 dmg is then reduced by DEF. Player 1 takes 1 dmg (you can't take 0 dmg) and so does every other player. Functional invincibility, not that you really need it w/ 5 players.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Esposito posted:

Does the Rifle Scope work with the Rod?

Just tried it and no :(

Read
Dec 21, 2010

padijun posted:

Is there a reason to keep my rainbow rod and magic harp after I picked up an inferno fork and magnet sphere? They just totally eclipse the "good" 1.1 magic weapons. They also make farming in the hardmode dungeon a cakewalk. I made like 3 plat in half an hour of killing hell skeletons while watching my stories on the other monitor

Pretty much every 1.1 item is trash now, I wouldn't bother keeping them.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Mana Shackles + Spectre armor set is going to get nerfed in to the loving floor at some point. I'm sure the vampire knies are strong and all but it's not (near)infinite mana+hp strong. :v:

Nah, Vampire Knives beat out that combination pretty handily because you can buff them with Ichor Imbue Weapon and because you don't need to have garbage defense when you use them. I can stand on both berserk twins at the same time and not go below 495 HP with Vampire Knives.

Ichor adds 40-80 dmg per throw and you can throw multiple sets a second, so it's a pretty insane buff.

Read fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 15, 2013

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Breaking altars spawns tiles of crimson/hallow/corruption in the world, depending on your specific world.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

This mushroom house is rad as heck, I might try and make something like this.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

All good advice, though I'd mention that if you luck out on a Demon Scythe drop before the Wall of Flesh you don't need to bother with anything else to kill him.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

I finally managed to farm a jungle key, and it's kind of hard not to be dissapointed. The piranha gun seems to be worse than any of the other biome chest items. It only attacks one target at a time, and it doesn't kill them very quickly. Is there some really cool aspect of it I'm missing ?

It chains between targets as long as you're holding down M1.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

You clearly haven't seen the Paladin's hammer or Scourge of the Corruptors.

The Paladin's Hammer is excellent, but the Scourge is honestly pretty garbage if you already have Vamp Knives and the Death Sickle.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is it faster than the Paladin Hammer? Because that hammer completely melts multi-segment things like the Destroyer.

It's not faster but the individual sickle projectiles hit multiple segments multiple times and you can swing it so fast you have 4-5 out at a time combined with the damage of the sickle itself. I'm guessing the pure DPS is higher vs the Destroyer because of that but I dunno for sure, the Paladin Hammer has the benefit of doing high single hit damage so it's reduced proportionally less by enemies' defense.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Now, the real question is: Rainbow Rod or Magical Harp?

Rainbow Rod is godawful, take the Harp.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Has anyone managed to beat the Pumpkin moon solo, and if so can they post their loadout?

Even without a timer it'd be really hard, but with a timer it seems pretty much impossible solo.

I haven't gotten to the last wave but it's pretty easy to kill a few Pumpkings each moon wearing Chlorophyte Mask + Turtle Scale Mail + Turtle Leggings equipped with Warding Leaf Wings + Warding Lightning Boots + Warding Fire Gauntlet + Warding Ankh Shield + Warding Destroyer Emblem and using Godly Vampire Knives / Godly Paladin's Hammer / Legendary Death Sickle + Ichor Weapon Imbue buff.

That's 93 DEF but you can raise it to 99 if you really need by wearing a Warding Paladin's Shield, in place of the Destroyer Emblem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Deific Presence posted:

So I'm wondering if this is a bug or what... I recently started playing again and disassembled my old castle and moved everything to a new world with all the new content. At the time of my last playthrough I hadn't been any further than my first couple of Shadow Orbs. Once my fortress was complete on the new world I decided to summon some bosses. Killed the Eye a few times and then made a Goblin Battle Standard. Defeated the Goblin Army, and didn't get a message about the Goblin tinkerer spawning. Went and smashed some Demon Hearts, summoned the Goblins again, and still nothing. Does it have to be triggered from a naturally occurring Goblin Army spawn?

You find him in the world somewhere bound by ropes once you've finished a Goblin Army invasion, free him with a right click to unlock him and he'll move to valid housing.

• Locked thread