Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pyromancer posted:

You can get ores your world doesn't have from extractionator or w/e it's called. It's a device you drop slush or silt blocks into and get coins, gems and ores in return.
Can you get hardmode ores out of it? And if so do you need to have the world be in hardmode?

Because if so I think I should go find a bunch of slush and silt and then save them until hardmode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How close is the corruption to that side of the house?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Meldonox posted:

Ugh, gently caress me, I can't get Truffle to show up at all. Come on bro, I made you a house in mushroomland and everything.
I built my mushroom farm too close to my tower so it had he mushroom background and music, and I walled a room with mushrooms and decorated it with mushroom furniture just because, and he moved into it as soon as I hit hard mode.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Why would you do that? Unlike at launch, he's actually useful now for checking crafting recipies!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

J.A.B.C. posted:

Last Night I spent my time building new biomes and using Tedit to search them for crimson/pyramids (It hasn't updated, so just look for the big pink triangle), when I got an interesting seed:

A pyramid that opens up into a hive. :getin:

Also, I am now rocking a Pharaoh set, Angel Wings and a Strong Dao of Pow. I am a God Of Destruction, Egyptians! Fear me!

On that note: How do I make the new wing types? I've been looking around the wikis, but I can't find a solid recipe.
I killed a million billion harpies while building my skybridge to look for floating islands before hard mode, and one of them dropped a giant harpey feather which made harpy wings. I think the rest of the new ones are all the like that with other sources except for the ghost wings you make out of ectoplasm.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That's the easier of the two caster skeletons in the hardmode dungeon, by the way! :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

The Golem fight loving sucks, any tips other than building him a box? I'm using a megashark and he still destroys our 3 man group in phase 3.
Specter armor and magnet sphere makes him a joke.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Are solar eclipses supposed to be hard or something?

:v:

Sadly that scythe despawned after a while so I went back to doing it the old fashioned way and didn't see another one.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Saxophone posted:

How the hell do you even kill wall of flesh with normal mode gear? I've got full molten armor with obsidian skull and the rose that lets me touch lava and not die and I'm just getting demolished and I don't feel like I'm doing much damage to it at all. I suppose I will potion up and see if that helps but yikes. I get the little feelers dead and then the wall to like 6k/8k health and then just die horribly. By then, I can't catch up with him and he'll have despawned. Oy.
I used a phoenix blaster and meteor shot. Having a clear path you can just keep running on is very helpful. Lava waders make getting that easier since you don't have to build bridges over the lava.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Colonel posted:

Jesus christ, I fought the Golem eight times and I came out with a Heat Ray, an Eye of the Golem, and two Demonic Golem fists, and no Picksaw. :bang:

I've never used a character editor before, but goddamn, I'm not going through the process of finding the temple again, fighting Plantera again, and fighting the Golem eight times again.
Why would you need to find the temple again to farm the enemies in it for power cells? There's an in-game map now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

Also I'm not even sure that corruption matters for your fortress. It won't spread through crafted blocks of any type so your fortress can't become corrupted. Formerly the corruptor spit would mess up your fortress, but that isn't the case anymore.
Corruption/Crimson ANYWHERE NEAR your base makes housing stop being suitable is the thing. I had some get onto part of my skybridge project and I had to throw purification powder at it and cut a hole in it I bridged with wood platforms to make the rooms I'd just built be housing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

President Ark posted:

When the game first came out he didn't have the check-what-this-thing-is-used-to-craft function and had a tendency to leave doors open so your other NPCs/you got eaten by zombies.
I think his actual advice in the option for that has been massively improved, too. It used to be basically one of those Tip Of The Day things programs used to have when you launched them. Now I think he gives you some actual starting advice and tells you things based on what you've done already.

Thanks to NPCs wandering around even at night at launch, I now always put my NPC housing above ground level, with no external facing doors.

rodney mullenkamp posted:

You can counter this by dumping hallowed sand around. With enough Pearlsand hidden in the walls, you can even build working houses in the heart of a crimson pit.
Speaking of which, there seems to be some sort of critical mass for anything but corrupt/hallow grass to spread. I dropped some crimstone, and later crimsand, in a desert in my world to try and get some dark mummies, and it hasn't spread at all. Nor has the single block of pearlstone I stuck to some normal stone outside the desert to keep it from spreading too far.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

President Ark posted:

AFK-farming the hardmode dungeon might work if not for Diabolists. They can fire heavy AoE-DoT damage bolts through walls and teleport every time they take damage. They can fire from offscreen as well. Unless you really take the time to set up an area where you can be safe without any valid spots for the diabolists to fire at you anywhere nearby you'll probably just get splattered.
I think this would require making it so there's literally nowhere for them to stand. Which would make getting other things in to be killed tricky.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dareon posted:

Is it a hardmode world? :v: I'm sorry, that's just the basic "Is it plugged in?" question, I'm planning on seeding pearlstone around my base in the world I'm gearing up for hardmode in, so it'll start spreading once I kill the Wall.

Yes it is.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pilchenstein posted:

What someone was saying earlier about "below sea level" is incorrect according to the wiki - it has to be in the cavern layer, though I couldn't tell you where that starts exactly.
I built a branch off my hellevator a bit under where the dirt wall appears to make clorphylyte incubators and they're working. Depth meters do not seem to be obtainable anymore though and I don't have any old characters around to raid for one so I don't know how deep I am.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Heavy neutrino posted:

Much like the different dyes, normal paint and deep paint affect different color palettes. You have to try different kinds and see what works; for example just about nothing except "X and silver" dyes will have any significant impact on Spectre armor.
Black and Flame dye works on it!

I mean, it just makes it darker, but hey.

(I also wish there was a way to turn off the transparency on it, it looks kinda neat.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

quote:

Hardmode Crimson, Corruption, and Hallow spread is now slowed after killing Plantera instead of any Mechanical Boss
You know I thought things were spreading awfully slowly.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Do the rapid bolts Magnet Sphere casts count as "projectiles" for the diminishing returns on the Spectre healing?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

canepazzo posted:

I still can't seem to be able to attract a Truffle. I have 2 worlds, both with a mushroom farm, a house in the farm made of mushrooms, mushroom furniture, killed all of the bosses - still nada. The farm and house are separate from the main base. What's the trick?
Have you tried a mushroom back wall for his place?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

You are getting a new background from the mushroom biome right? Because otherwise it's not gonna work. Also what did you do to make your house out of mushrooms because I can only get furniture.
You can craft back walls, and you can just... put the mushrooms down like blocks.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Heavy neutrino posted:

Did nobody ever notice the Clentaminator in the Steampunker's shop inventory? It reverts an entire screen's worth of hallow/corruption/crimson to normal blocks (dirt, stone blocks and sand) in about one second.

Biome spread is a complete non-issue.
I costs two loving platinum, man, that's not something people can trivially afford unless they have huge stocks of money from playing since launch on the same character. And 25 silver a shot.

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

I just found a hellbat banner which the wiki says is new in 1.2.0.3. The writing for the description is purple like the weapons etc are rather that plain white like the other banners. Is this significant?
It means it won't poof if it falls in lava.

Logan 5 posted:

I really like the docks, that's a cool idea. I want to make a bigger version of my sailboat on the actual ocean, but it sucks to have to use cloud as the sails instead of cloud walls, which aren't craftable apparently. Cloud blocks stop the rain from pouring down onto my deck and making it look all cool and poo poo :arghfist::(
Cloud walls ARE lootable, though?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LAY-ZX posted:

...Uh, or unless you sell things. Hard mode drops are worth a lot of money. I started playing a new character when 1.2 hit and he's probably made and spent about 25 plat.
Sell... things?

But then how would I have all of the things???

I mean, I do own a clemen... thingy, it's just htere were so many other things to buy first like the autohammer.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

lohli posted:

Actually it's not really linear at all. I mean, it does have a pretty straight forward progression but the game allows you to sequence break. You can go from wood/copper straight to demonite/crimtane, trigger hardmode, and go straight to the dungeon for ectoplasm gear.
:objection:
The latest patch made it so the hardmode dungeon doesn't activate until after you kill Plantera!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TwystNeko posted:

Ugh. I am bad at the video games. I still can't kill Plantera - I just don't do nearly enough damage to him. I've now got Adamantite armor, I pull him to the surface, and I can't even get him down to halfway. I have a golden shower, a Mythical Frost Staff (71 dmg in caster gear!), a mushroom spear, a zealous ice bow shooting hellfire arrows.. and nothing works. He just stomps the crap out of me.

Halp!
Try getting some Hallowed armor/weapons?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Don't forget you can use a piggybank and safe to carry more poo poo between places than will fit in your inventory!

Or to drag back more stuff from spelunking. I personally use my safe for "whatever" storage and the piggybank for buff potions and keeping my money and basic room with bed kit and other things I want on hand but not clogging up my inventory.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Edwhirl posted:

okay what the heck.

I'm trying to kill the wall of flesh. I died the first time, and every other time since then whenever I throw the doll into the lava the guide dies but no boss spawn. What gives?

Are you too close to the center of the world?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

A turtles supposed to drop shells a lot or something? I've seen a grand total of one.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RatHat posted:

EDIT: Also I just realized I should probably move my Deathweed farm and quarantine it too.
Why? Pots can't spread corruption. :confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

KataraniSword posted:

I haven't tried since I got the Specter Armor + Magnet Sphere, but since that's been nerfed decently hard, I'd assume I'll still have issues.
Actually, each beam from the sphere seems to be its own "projectile" so the only thing nerfed there is the base defense of Specter Armor.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fewd posted:

There is, about 4 seconds between triggers. But considering they persist and bounce around a while, you can easily make an area utterly unsurvivable with them.
Seems like it'd be better to hook them up to a 1 second timer then, so you don't have to keep moving to trigger the plates.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fewd posted:

I meant that the traps have a cooldown of about 4 seconds, worded it badly. But good goddamn. I had no idea there were timers. Gonna go make a few now and break the world.

Also I have no idea where Stynger has been my whole life. That weapon is just... perfect. :allears:

e: holy poo poo it works spikes everywhere :neckbeard:
Well, I mean that the three second and five second timer would miss cooldowns then, leaving you with less spiky death balls than you could have at maximum efficiency! :black101:

The moral of the story: Always check the guide's crafting help function. :eng101:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Exactly! :flashfact:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

KataraniSword posted:

You can only get them in the Jungle/Lihzahrd Temple, same as the Spike Ball traps and Spear traps.

So technically they are Hard Mode items, yes. Unlike most HM items though, they generate whenever you start a new world. You just can't access them without going through pretty much all of Hard Mode first, since the temple door requires one of three things to get past:
  • The Temple Key dropped by Plantera to open the locked door
  • The Picksaw dropped by Golem to dig around the door
  • Or ingenious use of Teleporters... which are sold by the Steampunker, who only shows up in Hard Mode.

EDIT: You may or may not need the Picksaw to actually gather the traps in question, I'm not sure as I haven't tested with lower-quality pickaxes.
You can gather them fine, I got some ball traps before hardmode because they spawned outside the door.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Or the Familiar Wig.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostpilot posted:

Wire is on a different 'layer,' so to speak, so it can be placed anywhere.

Huh I've just come up with a idea for getting into a jungle temple without a key: wire some actuators to a wall and flip a switch. :v:
That was fixed, I believe.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hummingbirds posted:

How are you guys beating plantera? The only strategy video I've seen had the guy teleporting back and forth across a hallway while shooting at it but the battle took ten loving minutes. Anyone got a better strategy? Is it best to lead it to the surface or what?
I race to the surface or the nearest open area in the caves and fly around it shooting magic at it.

This might be less effective now that you can't get Specter armor until AFTER killing it, though.

Mountaineer posted:

Yes, lead it to the surface. Dig a shaft leading up before you break the flower if you have to. On the surface you can just fly around and avoid most of the damage.

In other news, this happened:

Send help
Is that two Destroyers and a Wyvern?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zero Star posted:

How viable is it to make a small world solely for storing valuable equipment? The theory is that I can use my character's inventory as well as piggybanks to transfer items into a 'store' world, therefore leaving more space in my 'main' one. Is this something a lot of people find useful, or would I just be wasting my time?
Why would you not just put more chests in your main world?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Make him a shack out of mushrooms with mushroom walls and furniture.

By the way, glowing mushrooms are a structural building material now if you hadn't noticed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Leper Colon V posted:

Wait...

You can hold watches and bottled clouds in your hand?!
That's probably the bottled wisp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RatHat posted:

Is it only possible for one Broken Hero's Sword to drop during each Eclipse? I've gotten two swords over two Eclipses and both dropped fairly early.
I've gotten a total of five over two eclipses, so no.

• Locked thread