Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have tried to make sauce bearnaise sous vide a few times. The first time it worked perfectly and I started planning my future as a sauce lord, duke of eggs, baron of butter. The subsequent times have all failed, it won't emulsify and it's just a million small fragments of nicely cooked yolk floating in a sea of tarragon butter. So I thought I'd try something else. The tricky bit is controlling the temperature and my sous vide rig is a PID controller and a rice cooker. I can fill the rice cooker way up, set it to the right temperature for hollandaise emulsion, put a steel bowl on top and whisk it old school without worrying about it getting too hot and scrambling the eggs.

Has anyone tried something like this? What is the ideal temperature? And I am le tired of sauce bearnaise, I think I'll try one of the more obscure derivatives. Suggestions? It can match meat or fish, I haven't decided what to have it with yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, I'd take the bag out of the water bath and smoosh it around the counter top. Perhaps I didn't do it enough the times I failed. Am going to do it old school with a steel whisk now anyway. I'd try the blender method, but our food processor is broken at the moment. Looks like the best temperature is just below 63 C, 145 F, so it would be handy to do some chicken or pork at the same time.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Temperature controlled bain marie test run. (this is the setup I sous vide with, rice cooker + PID controller)

Works like a charm! Set the water to 60C, about an inch of the bowl is submerged. The sauce came together no problem with casual whipping and the egg mixture at around 40C, so it will be no problem to cook it while the meat is at 56C - which is incredibly practical compared to removing it, keeping it warm, increasing temp etc. Now I'm deliberately ignoring it to see at which temp it splits. Currently very happy at 47C, thick and lovely. (Note, salmonella is not a problem here and I happily eat raw eggs in mayo and aioli, so ymmv.)

While writing the post it has thickened more, just on the cusp of going custard now and a tiny bit of butter coming out of suspension. I can fold it with a spatula, but when tasting it it's perfectly creamy without any lumps. Also, the big stainless bowl is conducting away a lot of heat, the sauce doesn't seem to want to go above 47-48C. This is being deliberately careless at 60C so if I'm paying attention at 56C, it means I can now nail a bearnaise on the same thing the meat is cooking in. Accuracy and practicality to boot!

Ola posted:

...my future as a sauce lord, duke of eggs, baron of butter.

There's that feeling again!

e: it finally started splitting after posting, so you can definitely do an Icarus on this, but all in all a good concept.

Ola fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 6, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Vinegar works for EVERYTHING. They should chemtrail vinegar across the Middle-East and watch peace erupt.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Totally Reasonable posted:

i've got some bison filets defrosting in the fridge, where should i set them for medium?

also, i have one rear end in a top hat who wants their filet well done (i know, right?) should i just gently caress it up in the pan, or should i gently caress it up in a different SV rig?

There's bound to be a tough bit somewhere on a bit filet, give him that.

quote:

'Saving for well-done' is a time-honoured tradition dating back to cuisine's earliest days. What happens when the chef finds a tough, slightly skanky end-cut of sirloin that's been pushed repeatedly to the back of the pile? He can throw it out, but that's a total loss. He can feed it to the family, which is the same as throwing it out. Or he can 'save for well-done': serve it to some rube who prefers his meat or fish incinerated into a flavourless, leathery hunk of carbon.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2000/aug/12/features.weekend1

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I like the jar concept, might give that a try. Otherwise I haven't done any egg emulsion things sous vide for ages. The results varied widely, which is very strange when sous vide is supposed to be predictable and repeatable. At least it makes a great temp controlled bain marie which is great help when doing hollandaise the traditional way.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'd never heard of them before. Trying this weekend.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My fondant potatoes turned out ok. I found a recipe which browned first, then cooked later. It made the brown bits quite mild tasting. Perhaps it's better to follow this one and boil to evaporate, then brown later. Good stuff either way!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The bags are more permeable the higher the temps are. I can smell carrots at 85C after just a few minutes, but it doesn't matter much for the final product.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just pour some hot water from the tap and pop it in, leave it there while you prepare something else. The hot tap water will be cooled by the steak. Sear just before you plate.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The altitude effect on boiling is that you are cooking your pasta at a lower temperature. The physics of it is simply that water vapor starts escaping from liquid water more easily when there is thinner air holding it down. According to Wolfram Alpha, water boils at 202.8 deg F in Denver. Pretty big difference!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Going to test it on the weekend, also without the tempering stuff. If I'm doing it sous vide, it's because I want it to be simple!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Was thinking about eggs, got an idea, anyone tried something like this?

Heat water to useful temp for smooshy egg yolks. Pop egg yolks directly into water instead of inside an egg (not recommended with circulators running, obv). After X minutes, scoop yolks.

This should give a lovely yellow yolk instead of having to break the egg and scoop the yolk out of the half-curdled white. Then use the yolk on top of asparagus or whatever. "Deconstructed bearnaise" would be fun, put a big slice of tarragon butter on top of steak, egg yolk on top of that. Or smooshy egg with some caviar or roe on blinis would be pretty swank.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

Was thinking about eggs, got an idea, anyone tried something like this?

Heat water to useful temp for smooshy egg yolks. Pop egg yolks directly into water instead of inside an egg (not recommended with circulators running, obv). After X minutes, scoop yolks.

This should give a lovely yellow yolk instead of having to break the egg and scoop the yolk out of the half-curdled white. Then use the yolk on top of asparagus or whatever. "Deconstructed bearnaise" would be fun, put a big slice of tarragon butter on top of steak, egg yolk on top of that. Or smooshy egg with some caviar or roe on blinis would be pretty swank.

Postponed the creme brulee test, but tried this just now. Deconstructed hollandaise, a sous vide egg yolk, a chunk of butter and some lemon on poached fish. Nice in theory, not so nice in practice. But a sous vide quail's egg yolk with a pinch of a salt, that's something else.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wow, that looks fantastic!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Everyone should really try out several different temperatures for foods and enjoy the different textures because that's part of the magic made possible by sous vide

Absolutely. After only doing sous vide for years, I had some great bleu tenderloin yesterday. Room temp steaks, crushed peppercorns and flake salt on each side, sear in butter for 1 minute each side, leave the inside raw. Served with horseradish cream and baked root vegetables. I like what sous vide does to trickier cuts, but I'll probably never do tenderloin sous vide. Having a wide repertoire and applying the right tool for the job is what matters.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Crunkjuice posted:

I'm planning on doing a rack of lamb next weekend. It's also the first time I'm using a vacuum sealer over Ziploc. Have any of you guys had issues with bones poking through a vacuum bag? Still super new at this and wasn't sure if it's a real worry.

Sharp bone? Stick a carrot cube on it like:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Texture difference like that can be good in all sorts of food. The leanest, most tender cuts don't do well in sous vide and I've come to appreciate a seared, rare tenderloin as much as a thick and evenly cooked sous vide steak. Right tool for the job.

Doing sous vide roast beef tomorrow, bought a pre-tied, vacuumed hunk of meat. Fits my cooker perfectly so I will not bother rebagging. After it's done, I plan to chill it, un-tie, cool it off and sear under the oven grill. Anyone have good/bad experiences with this?

sterster posted:

Dude the app is terrible. It just aggravates me that I can't just start the god drat timer on it's own. Why do I have to wait for it to recognize the temp and for it to prompt me. So I can just click okay for the timer to start. I swear the water will be sitting at temp for 2-3 min and I'll get nothing. So I have to kill the cook process. Start it again. It's just loving dumb.

Oh and when the alarm goes off I can't just dismiss it. I have to walk to the drat thing and hit the STOP COOKING button. Then I have to hit the cook button again so it stays at temp. Or I'm just dumb.

In the smart home of the future, this is how you brush your teeth, clean the toilet, open a can of tomatoes, etc etc.

Ola fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 5, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

3 lbs of roast beef turned out very well. I took it out after 7 hours at 58C. Cut the string and let it cool while finishing other stuff. Then dried it with paper, gave it a light coat of salt and oil and put it under the broiler on full power. It's not that powerful so it wasn't exactly a deep fried appearance, but pretty close to a normal roast. Definitely doing this again, the labor/result ratio is pretty great. Texture was a bit grainy, going to try shorter time or lower temp next time.

Served it with rocket salad, roast celeriac and sunchoke and a remoulade with capers, dill and pickles. Yum!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

baquerd posted:

Is this a UK term for paper towels, or do you have a special drying paper?

Oops! A non-native English speaker's term for paper towel.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

:popeye:

Dang that seems good. I've tried 12 hr pork shoulder before which came out great, but didn't have any aromatics in the bag. Am I reading it right that he adds the orange to the bag and reserves the juice?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Are you struggling with that extra crispy sear? Sansaire not quite bringing the bacon home? Consider an acetylene torch and a tungsten cube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YMFRF8NMNI

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Has anyone tried using a sous vide setup for poaching? I haven't got a circulator, but an old school PID controller hooked up to a rice cooker, so it's ok to use a broth. I'm thinking about trying poached mussels, oysters and fish. I love steamed mussels but they can get a bit chewy. And I don't think vacuuming them is the right way, I think it'll be tastier to cook up a nice broth with onions and wine, then let them steep in it at a precise temperature. Ideas, experiences?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elizabethan Error posted:

a PID setup will not give you a precise temp as there's no forced circulation. do this in a pot, don't poison your guests/whoever

Oh come on. It's a (pot sized) rice cooker, not a swimming pool. There is more than enough circulation by convection alone, and I can just stir it every now and then anyway. And mussels are regularly eaten raw anyway. When I vizzle something big, the plastic can sometimes trap convection and I need to stir it every now and then, then the temp can suddenly show 2 degrees difference. Only six guests have died so far.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elizabethan Error posted:

do what you want, but it won't achieve any measure of precision as you're relying on currents to move the heat around, and water in a pot doesn't move that much.

You will struggle to find something that distributes heat better than water, which is why we use it as a cooking medium.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Salmon is one of those things where the difference in texture is better than homogeneous texture, seared with a rare middle is great. Rilette is a good idea for mushy salmon and in any context where caviar is used. A blini or toast with some mushy salmon, finely chopped onion and a dab of sour cream, yes please.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wet raw things are a pain in the rear end as well. Roll it in flour first?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If your oven has a grill function, you can sear in there. Dry the meat well and cool it down a bit (so it doesn't overcook). Start with a cold oven, set grill to full tilt. If the meat is lean, coat with a little bit of oil, place it as high as practical.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I too have smoking problem and have resorted to lower temps. You might get a slightly thicker cooked edge, but I think it's fine. Just let the steak cool a bit after debagging, and you won't be cooking the centre as much as reheating. Browned butter, reasonable temps, 1-2 minutes on each side as required.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I did a bunch of skin on chicken breasts for new year's. Turned out really well and it was extremely practical since the party was at a friend's place. Marinated, bagged two and two, vizzled at 150F for 45-ish mins. Then cooled and fridged. At his place, placed them all skin side up on a baking tray, patted dry and seasoned the skin, then blasted the hell out of them under the broiler. Crispy(-ish, weak broiler) skin and reheated through in one go. Turned out great, and very little effort during a dinner with many courses. 140F seems a bit like "space food" to me, it's sort of soft and mildly translucent. 150F it gets more flaky, the fibers separate more. If you have a quality piece of chicken* you'll want to render some of that fat as well. The most important thing is really that they were all moist, done enough and all done evenly, which is what sous vide does so well.

* It really is very easy to drop poo poo chicken from your diet and still survive as a happy carnivore.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

a foolish pianist posted:

People freak out about pink chicken but are perfectly happy eating medium rare duck breast. It's a mystery to me.

It says something about the chicken industry when it's common wisdom that to eat a piece that hasn't been sterilized by fire means certain death.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't usually make or buy ice cubes. I just put the still bagged meat in a bowl or pot, then in the sink under running cold water. Doubt it cools noticeably slower than by ice cubes in still water, perhaps it's actually faster.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You don't need to set up the entire vizzler just to bring it up to a palatable temp. Leave it on the counter for a while or just sear it longer.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

its HIM posted:

It's not any more than any other food product you might sous vide.

This loving myth will never die.

Having googled a bit, I think garlic has a botulism reputation due to some outbreaks in the 80s. Infusing oil was a fad, and that created good growth conditions, anoxic and room temperature. Since the spores are in soil, they are also on anything that grows in soil, including garlic. But it's the oil infusion, not the garlic, that was the real problem. If potato infused oil was a fad, potatoes would have a bad rep. Sous vide has comparable conditions, but the higher temps and shorter time makes it a lot less likely, if I understand it right.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Grem posted:

6 lbs tritip how long what temp?

90 mins 130F

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Grem posted:

Really? Seems so short. The reason I asked is because I see from 12 hours to 3 hours and everywhere in between.

I just wanted to have a snappy answer. A longer one: The good thing about sous vide is that exact time doesn't matter that much. Get the meat going, then do whatever else you need to do before dinner. I think you need at least 90 mins to make sure that much meat is heated through. If it's trimmed to be very lean, a long cook like 12 hours can make it mushy. If there's a lot of fat, 3-6 hours can make a nice difference in rendering it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I hadn't heard "compound butter" before. It sounds more :science: than :discourse: but then this thread is all about cooking with :science:. Here we say "spice butter" and google shows me Martha Stewart does too: https://www.marthastewart.com/316731/spice-butter So if you're like a convict or a Norwegian, say "spice butter".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Martha's recipe for compound butter for steak: https://www.marthastewart.com/1086326/compound-butter.

LOCK HER UP

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

rgocs posted:

Having people over in a couple of days. Thinking of making a stuffed pork tenderloin (135 F for 2 hours). I usually sear on my cast iron, but it is too small fo the tenderloins. Splitting into shorter chunks to fit the cast iron would reduce stuffing space.

Would searing it like Kenji's rib roast (500 degree oven for a few minutes) overcook it? Would broiler searing be preferrable?

I think broiler searing is great, as long as it's powerful enough. Letting the temp drop after cooking is no problem, it just gives you a bigger margin when searing. It doesn't have to be at cooking target temp inside when you serve it after all, just pleasingly warm. Having the oven door open makes it a pseudo-salamander, the air around it will not be as hot so it will cook through less, but the radiant heat from the broiler will still sear. Be sure to dry off the moisture first, a thin coat of fat might also help as long as it doesn't burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

nwin posted:

So i planned on making steaks wednesday night, so I SV'ed them to 136F for 2 hours on Tuesday. Plans didn't end up working out, so they've been sitting in the fridge. Are they still good? Any idea how much longer they would be ok to cook?

Yeah, I'd eat them. That cooking temp/time means they are properly done. It's quite similar to buying sausages or cooked burgers in the supermarket. They're good for a month or so, your steaks can certainly sit for a week.