Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Help Im Alive posted:

Do many of these people make a living from doing LPs? Or is it only possible if you're one of the super popular ones like PDP?

Making a living from YouTube is just the weirdest thing to me.

Rooster Teeth has been doing it for years now. Granted they do a lot of videos that aren't just let's plays, but within the past year or so I think their Achievement Hunter/LP stuff has grown to be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, part of the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Basically every video with Joel is great, but yea that's probably the best one.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Nerds like to pretend that the streamer/lper is their friend, and knowing what they/their room looks like helps them believe that it's true. Or that's my theory at least.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

On the subject of AGDQ, there was a fantastic Yoshi's Cookie segment during the bonus stream a few days ago, featuring forums user medibot. You should probably check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jan9HPsxeII&t=534s

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I completely don't understand why this is one of the great segments of the bonus stream. I feel like there's something I'm not getting because all I'm seeing is two people playing a puzzle game.

What makes it great is partially medibot being an amazingly funny guy, YoCo being a great esport, and all the donations coming in during their matches (keep in mind this is the bonus stream, so donations slow down a ton, and the amount they raised in that half hour was pretty crazy).

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

On the subject of not-DSP, I've been watching a lot of Phil Kollar's LPs/streams lately. He and some other cool people stream games a couple nights a week at http://twitch.tv/kefkataran, and then put 'em up on youtube later. They're pretty funny people, and I'd recommend their Game Dev Tycoon LP if anyone wants a sorta chill, laid back video for background noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkwGOpzuVf0&hd=1

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Roar posted:

LP is a super dumb hobby, don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Just because we enjoy LP'ing and watching LP videos doesn't mean the concept isn't plain silly.

Regardless of what you think LP is or what you think LP should be, for some people it's an actual profession. It seems silly to just dismiss it as a dumb hobby when it literally puts food on the table for some people.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

RSCNyx posted:

Making a living doing LP seems like the most volatile career choice you could go for. Yeah, it's great fun getting paid to play video games casually for the internet. Until any number of things happen.

Copyright strikes, being burned out on LP, your internet fame disappears...these are just a few things that could happen. You suddenly find yourself out of a job, and "Playing video games for the internet" doesn't translate well on resumes.

It's not just silly, it's downright dangerous. I do wonder if a lot of those popular LPers have a back-up plan, should things go south.

How is being "burned out" on LP any different from most people who have a job they don't like, or tolerate and don't actively enjoy? How is your fame disappearing different from any other type of performer? I'm not saying they aren't potential problems, but they're certainly not unique to LP. As for building a resume, I imagine video editing skills look quite good in certain fields. Hell like a week ago, I think Chip Cheezum tweeted something about how skills he picked up doing LPs were getting him freelance video editing work. As for copyright strikes, you may have a point there, I don't honestly know how most professional LPers deal with that. I think in at least some cases, bigger grounds like Rooster Teeth will have contracts with publishers/developers to prevent sudden strikes.

The GIG posted:

Can I chime in on an unrelated thing and say that I really like Achievement Hunter's Go and Versus series? Because I don't know if it's been done before, but Go's "complete a goal across different games" format is really interesting and Versus is fun when they try sillier goals and games.

I really dig the whole concept of Go, and they manage to come up with a lot of interesting ideas for it. It's probably my favorite thing they've come up with so far.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

My question: what the hell are they trying to achieve here?

Largely I think people see other people make these announcement videos, and think it's just what you do when you make LPs, and don't think about it past that.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

There really shouldn't. Mock threads have never actually been a good idea and will only descend into a ruin of shitposting and ironic "fans".

This thread is already basically the DSP mock thread. I wouldn't mind having a separate one for talking about him, since frankly it's gotten annoying having 80% of this thread made up of the same complaints about him, where there's other off-site stuff to talk about.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

Why would anyone watch a Sonic 2006 LP that isn't pokecapn's LP of it anyway?

I've watched I think three different LPs of Sonic 06, and one LP of an LP of Sonic 06, and they're pretty much always great just because of what a trainwreck the game is.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

On a different subject, does anyone else here watch Stream Friends? They've been putting their playthrough of Face Noir up on youtube this past week, and it's really funny.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Liar Lyre posted:

I have been binging their Minecraft videos. Seriously, they got the best Minecraft videos and they might even be one of the best ongoing non-SA LPs.

I'm sure a lot of people dismissed this because minecraft, but seriously, they manage to make it really entertaining. Instead of just wandering around or building poo poo, their videos are all these cool little esports competitions with stuff they've made in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Disappointing Pie posted:

Can this be a recommendation thread? I love loving funny rear end group LP's. Don't hate me but I love the Achievement Hunter / Rooster Teeth crew and their Worms, Madden, Minecraft LP's and the like because they are hilarious as a group and play off each other so well. Also sites like Giantbomb, basically good personalities doing LP's.

Any ideas?

I've brought them up a few times earlier in the thread, but I'm a big fan of StreamFriends. They're a bunch of cool/funny people who stream a lot of really different games. I recommend their playthrough of Crypt Worlds and Game Dev Tycoon. If you like the runbutton LPs, Keith guests in a lot of their streams. Different people stream a couple different games most afternoons/nights at twitch.tv/StreamFriends, and their stuff gets archived on streamfriends.tv.

• Locked thread