Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Slowbeef posted:

Do custom thumbnails actually... do anything for anyone? I don't ever really regard them when I go to watch videos - I usually find what I'm looking for via search and the title.

Like people have said, they're good for preventing spoilers within the video in a way. But I find them useful for some playlists/search results/personal pages for videos with longer titles or navigating my subscriptions. Sometimes the title is too long or doesn't fit on my screen ("Let's Play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeace Part 20 Section 2/3" for example), so the big fat number on the custom thumbnail telling me which part this is helps out.

And they just really stand out more than text. I know it only takes a second to read it but there's just something about it that feels faster. Like the icon for your podcasts for example, that's immediately recognizable.

EDIT: Jeez, talk about EFB. MooCowlian put in much better words than me.

I think I'm lucky that no one I follow does the face thing and the one time they did, it was as a parody of dumb horror LPs.

HGH fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of Minecraft, I figured this was the best place to ask, but how the hell did the Yogcast ever get popular? I tried to watch some of their stuff because everyone can't stop singing their praises but it felt unbearably unfunny, obnoxious, or flat out boring. What exactly am I missing here?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Mr DJB posted:

I can't remember who exactly (it might be TotalBiscuit) but there's one YouTube person I know who ends their video with "If you enjoyed this video, please like and subscribe, if you felt it was lacking, please leave a comment telling me how I can improve."

I can totally get behind that poo poo. Considering that dislikes and negative comments (bafflingly) give you the same amount of exposure on YouTube, the least you can do there is give your viewers an incentive to help you improve. It shows that you give a poo poo and don't need constant positive reinforcement.

I find it amusing if it was TB that said that, considering he's part of a coalition of youtubers that have been boycotting Youtube comments for the past 3 months or so, calling the comment system cancerous and that it'll hurt earnings so on. Maybe I don't watch too many high profile people but I felt that the comment abuse that happened when Google+ was first introduced only lasted about 2 weeks or so and has significantly died down.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

If I remember correctly TotalBiscuit was getting so stressed by comments on his videos that his doctor told him to not read them. Maybe their all trying to improve their general health?

Oh jeez, that puts things into perspective. I didn't think e-fame could do that kinda stuff but I guess not everyone can shrug dumb comments off too easily.

slowbeef posted:

He actually has a video explaining why. I don't know if comments have gotten better since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTspUNj-4w

That's where I got what I said in my previous comments from. No idea he had health issues though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Wow, I'm embarrassed to watch most LP's WITH headphones on, how loving shameless do you have to be to blast PewdiePie full volume?!

I dunno what schools are like today, but maybe he really is popular with all the kids and the teens and the frat boys to the point they can have him on at full volume like you would music or other videos you'd share with friends? After all, he is public enemy number one. I mean, uh, number 1 on Youtube popularity.

Although the above though is kinda sickening.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I recall following a Retsupurae thread somewhere else a long while ago, and everyone was pleasant and enjoyed the content. Then there was a video with PsychedelicEyeball or someone else with a similar accent and the negative comments and backlash were ridiculous, death threats included. It's crazy how people react the moment something foreign shows up.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ritcheyz posted:

A while ago I remember a whole bunch of LP channels all played the Dead Space 3 demo on the same day, complete with reading the same bullet points from the back of the box.

I despise most of GameGrumps content but I have to admit that their blatant sarcasm at everything they had to do was really entertaining when that happened. They were clearly taking the piss out of EA's "instructions".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr0KUculTZA

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

Why would anyone watch a Sonic 2006 LP that isn't pokecapn's LP of it anyway?

I hear this all the time and while yes, it is kinda entertaining just because of how bad the game is, the LP itself is... well, annoying and grating at times. Despite knowing the context behind it and them doing it all in one go. Maybe I'm just averse to all the yelling. I mean, I still watched it all the way through and enjoyed it, but at times it got really grating.
When someone LPs an incredibly bad game, I think it works best with dry wit or the patented "person who is experienced and knowledgeable about the game with person/people who aren't" formula, because the latter's reaction is always pretty great.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Niggurath posted:

So is the Game Grumps LP version of Sonic 2006 either of these things?
Oh hell no. I don't think you could find much wit, humor or skill in that other than what the game itself provides. I was just citing personal preferences.

HGH fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 18, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

With all this DSP talk, I felt like this needed to be here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hEIBDRvT84

I suck at embedding

I was wondering why the LP demon sounded so good/familiar.
I don't think I've heard machinima actually being referred to as such since like...2006 or so. I remember when I first heard the term in a magazine and it was going on about how revolutionary it'll be for aspiring moviemakers. Yeah, sure...

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So every now and then Two Best Friends play some really weird game for a one-off, like terrible hunting or Japanese games, but for some reason I feel compelled to post this because I really do wonder who the hell the developers were trying to appeal to. Is the "urban gangsta" crowd really much of a target audience?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think it's amusingly ironic that the guy who made a video about how games teach players, and how modern developers make needlessly intricate tutorials cannot figure out how to play half of the games he plays because he completely ignores said tutorials.

I think Danny is mostly average and can be amusing at times, he's at his best when he knows the game he's playing, but anything with Ross mostly devolves into absolute poo poo as everyone regresses to screaming children and making poo poo and penis jokes. And they they're just so funny too.
The 10 minute format really makes it obvious how much of a cashgrab this. Most of the videos in some series are more or less not even content because what the hell are you gonna do in 10 minutes? Watch an intro? Maybe get past the main menu?

Game Grumps has always been pretty bad but now it's just even worse. Trying to watch them just reminds me of DSP, especially with all the disgusting burping and farting on mic.

HGH fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 10, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Danaru posted:

:stare: an SSLP outside SA, that's something you don't see everyday. And it even looks pretty solid

E: V Oh god that means at least two people have played that game in it's entirety. Way more than it deserves.

There's some boards with a surprising amount of them that aren't too bad. I actually wanted to recommend a pretty comprehensive (so far) ongoing Dragon Age:Origins one, except it has a tiny little problem... Whoever's running it has ridiculously huge images. They don't look bad, they're just have a crazy filesize.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Forgall posted:

They were always bad, but at least I haven't heard them making gross burps into the mic before...

You've obviously not heard them enough then, they do it all the time.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So...I'm not sure if this is the place to talk about it, but Phil Fish is causing a stir again(apologies for using Gamespot) by complaining about how LP money/ad revenue should mostly go to the developers. This isn't much of anything new but it seems to have caused a big debacle.

If I'm mentioning this in the wrong topic please direct me to a more appropriate one.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I believe what happened was that they announced a "Dickwolves" shirt in the middle of PAX and the crowd was a mix of cheers and booing or something.

I never did understand how PAX became a thing anyway. It's pretty much shill city anyway.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I have a game designer friend who was a pretty adamant feminist activist online but she pretty much gave up on it because, to quote, she "didn't want to be represented by shits like Sarkseesian and Phil Fish" by association. She's pretty sour on the whole thing.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Apparently pewdiepie has closed his comments section "forever".
I don't know what this is about and don't really care but I get the feeling something funny'll happen.

HGH fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 30, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I didn't really wanna participate in this debate since I don't really know anything, but I've always appreciated group (3+ people) and crowd cams (think AGDQ) because I like seeing people's reactions to stuff, but not for facecams for just one person. I don't think I've ever seen a 2 person facecam though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Rannos22 posted:

I know nothing gets me in a frothing rage like someone constantly apologizing for saying stuff maybe three people on the planet would be offended by and constantly downplaying their own skills and abilities. Also people that are industrious and putting out videos all the time.

I am constantly amazed at how terrified NorthernLion seems of his audience's reactions.
I mean, they are Youtube comments but still.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

CJacobs posted:

-excerpt from A Day in the life of DarksydePhil, 2014

Late to the party but...
I heard he retired? Read somewhere that he's finishing his current games then moving to Seattle for work or something?
Honestly that's probably for the best.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Why are people putting games they don't want to play on their paterons? Like half the time if the person hates the game the videos suck.

Money.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm pretty sure everyone ran away from that sinking ship due to really awful contracts or something.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of Game Grumps, I think their Bloodborne playthrough is different enough from their usual stuff to be enjoyable since there's some competency involved.
Also the game glitched out while they were trouncing the first boss and they got stuck in a wall till they died and I find that funny.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Remember when the "Yogcast" stole a couple dozen thousand dollars? Good ol' Kickstarter.
EDIT: Oh wait it was actually half a million dollars, ha.

HGH fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 14, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I dunno, I think "merde" is just French for poo poo and he says that often enough. I think there's also "putain" and "tabarnac" which aren't that uncommon from my experience.
Well this sure is an awkward page topper.

Uh, I sure can't wait to watch Kay Plays Bloodborne. Yeah, definitely.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You know, despite the fact that some of his videos have some loud yelling, I tend to find it silly and endearing as opposed to annoying? It's odd, I don't usually like that sort of stuff.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Youtube's doing a 10 year anniversary with a different letter of the alphabet featured every day.
Apparently "L is for Let's Play".

Also according to trends the top 10 most watched games on youtube are:

quote:

1- Minecraft
2- Graft Theft Auto
3- League of Legends
4- Call of Duty (series)
5- FIFA (series)
6- Garry's Mod (an interactive sandbox built using Half-Life 2's tech)
7- The Sims (series)
8- Five Nights at Freddy's (series)
9- Puzzles and Dragons
10- Dota 2

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I dunno what you people are talking but I think we all know DSP is the best.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
This is like youtube in a nutshell:

quote:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent (He played it because many of his fans were asking him for years to play it, but, upon discovering that Phil was not scared of the game, they stopped watching, and Phil stopped playing)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I never understood why the hell they made the autoplay button a permanent feature regardless of whether you're using a playlist or not. It started this month or maybe last one but it's such a baffling thing. Do people have that much time to waste sifting through random videos? I'm glad to be able to watch everything in a day at 2x speed if I'm lucky.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I still remember screenshots of a mod trying to ban a guy streaming MGS4 because of the "No movies allowed" rule.

Also the Twitch mods keep citing Polygon as a source for some reason, practically shooting themselves in the foot.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
How the hell do you end up with Polish nazis? That seems like an oxymoron.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Well, swastikas are just an altered Buddhist symbol, which sometimes causes real issues with some localized games.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

inthesto posted:

TB's one true crime was failing to finish Shining Force 3

I think he's still "boycotting" Sega over that to this day.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

While I don't generally like Game Grumps, this is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRtLDQVHIEc

One of them who actually plays WoW attempts to drag the rest of them through the leveling content of the newest expansion and it is one of the greatest trainwrecks I have ever seen.

Edit: Dunno if it still counts as a LP, because they do this weird reality TV show style thing where it bounces between the game screen and filming them actually playing, but still hilarious.
It starts to get whiny by episode 3 but the idea of "Australian man tortures 4 people by making them play WoW" is funny enough.
If you're gonna watch you'll probably need a high, high resistance to ADD people though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I dunno if this is the right place to ask, but is there any way to find out if a video was linked somewhere? Sometimes one particular part of a series has a disproportionately larger amount of views and I'm interested in that sort of stuff.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Sweet, thanks! I was looking at the wrong part of the statistics page like an idiot.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
DSP got DDOS'd and swatted(again?).

Oh jeez you can hear it all happen.

quote:

Cop 1: That's some gamer poo poo.
Cop 2: Hell yeah it's a lot of gamer poo poo.
I wonder how much the local police like LPs.

HGH fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
And in a lot of cases the pranker is a teen who knows they can get away with it.

• Locked thread