Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lazyfire posted:

That said, I can't understand why anyone would want to track down a let's player like they are suddenly going to be best friends simply because the stalker really like the videos the LPer puts out.

Well, LP'ers who put out a lot of content inevitable show a window into their lives. Chip Cheezum for example has had his dad for a video or two and talks about his life or events in them every so often. You end up feeling like you know the lp'er in question, but the truth is you don't, and that leads to them believing they can be easy friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

forbidden lesbian posted:

The idea of someone dry-loving a plastic doll while on a webcam is hilarious but I have a feeling pewthepie finds a way to gently caress it up.

DSP would blame the manufacturer saying that the holes are bugged and that the belly button is too small. If he ever opens the box for it...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

KamenZero posted:

He would then sell the doll after he's finished before he could finish, citing hardware issues, and give away the empty box with his signature on it.

Then ask for more donations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Slowbeef's LP of Dead to Rights is probably the first LP I remember watching (That prison level was the best), lurked the archives to pieces and then finally pony'ed up some cash to join. Nowadays I'm just angry at myself for not signing up sooner, I love this place.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MEAT! posted:

Holy poo poo egoraptor needs to shave.

I didn't want to say anything about it...

Either way, I never really "watched" any of their stuff. I used to just listen to them talk.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jamesman posted:

Egoraptor.

Is an animator.

Has someone else animate for him.

Hey, this is the 21st century. Outsourcing is the name of the game!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dr. Buttass posted:

All that said, I can't actually confirm the truth of any of this because I don't know Arin myself, but if it is true I would totally believe that his physical and emotional state is so far in the shitter that he literally can't do his own animating.

The last thing I watched by Egoraptor of my own initiative was Pokeawesome 2. "Okay, I'm done", and never looked back.

That said, I'm sure he's still funny from time to time, and he's a good animator if he actually works at it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wottermelon posted:

I don't want to give it too much crap, because, you know, you've got to work with what you've got, so a date over webcams with serious delays is going to have some issues, but man... I keep flipping between scrutiny and pity for the guy. All I know is that I would never want to be in either person's place.

If you can't take 2 hours of your life to go out on a real date with someone...

And I don't mean you personally, of course. But who does dates over webcam, while streaming and then save it for posterity?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mulgar posted:

There is so much wrong here, I can't even begin :psyduck:

-We aren't original, and won't even try. Let's ironically call for people to hate us because that's a DSP thing.

They sound like they are trying really hard to be funny.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Combat Lobster posted:

This is surprising coming from a guy who posted this video, and later redacted it

His argument is completely invalid. What about sports fans? Tons of people love watching sports, but not necessarily playing them or vice versa.

One of the bullet points was Professionally made rants... really?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mulgar posted:

What's annoying is they seemed to have not given any thought into this at all. Hell, even the Game Grumps play new weird and/or obscure games that they haven't seen before. These guys just hooked up a microphone and capture card and started bullshitting for 10~ mins.

They couldn't even be bothered to start from a new save file :bang:

Yeah, and that's my point is that they didn't care.

I mean, weird/obscure game or not, its the commentary/style of lp you provide that makes it worthwhile to watch. These two just phoned it in and expected it to get views because youtube LPs are trendy as gently caress right now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brony Hunter posted:

Jesus, what's wrong with that kid's eyes?

Fun fact: Gatz used that face as the starting point for his Avatar. A simple photoshop job later and he ended up with his current masterpiece.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lazyfire posted:

As an experienced sex haver I can probably provide some tips and tricks as needed.

Sounds like you need to find an appropriate game, facecam and post it up in the sandcastle.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bobjr posted:

Doesn't PDP just make a whole lot of "lol random" montages now? Like I can see if you wanted to see a game you'd want someone who'd give a basic review in a mature manner, not some guy screaming over 10 second jump cuts.

Even if PDP is familiar to people, I have a hard time figuring out why people would prefer watching him ramble over jump cut footage instead of a trailer/gameplay video/preview from an official source.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

slowbeef posted:

At 100k subs, you get this:

Somehow, somewhere, that is the calling card for a superhero based on youtube videos...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I was thinking more of a way to communicate with the starship Youtubprise.

But then you'd need an entire crew. Or does everyone who has that Youtube "prize" have their own ship? PewDiePie's ship would be a phallic reference and he'd have people ready and willing to do his bidding and spread his... unique style, across the galaxy OH GOD :suicide:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brassherald posted:

Basically, I doubt he is coming back, because on Youtube, he can delete and block negative comments, here, he has to be able to handle some criticism which has not been his forte on the site.

This seems to be a common thing with recent examples from The Gaming God and Lordly Kitten.

One would think that, by creating content for other people to enjoy, you'd want to receive feedback on what you produce and then improve on it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brassherald posted:

We have a theory in the mock trial program I help out with that people don't understand what constructive criticism is anymore and that is the issue. We've had a few people complain that after a 3 hour trial, we give feedback of what needs work rather than everything that worked. The internet just makes this worse for some reason.

The internet makes context of criticism (Or whatever the typed message is) a lot harder to discern. It's like receiving a text from your SO with the words "We need to talk". Having a visual or audible cue helps out tremendously with communication and, personally, I find the lack of it can lead to you surmising the wrong meaning to a message.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lazyfire posted:

I think part of that is that a lot of people expect "balanced" feedback in all aspects of life now. I know that desire gets associated with people in my generation all the time (I refuse to term anyone as a millennial as it's a kind of stupid label), but my 54 year old co-worker complains that when customers call her they only talk about what didn't work and never mention the things we delivered that did work. A lot of people think like this and it drives me nuts.

This a million times. As someone who works and has worked in customer service, directly or indirectly, I've never expected someone to call me to tell me my solution(s) worked perfectly and I'm a stand up guy.

I feel like it ends up being more about not being able to accept being wrong, with negative criticism contributing to that feeling.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SnakemanMn posted:

Let's Play needs more people like you two.

There are plenty of people who do LP's for fun and to show off cool stuff, just look at this forum. The others are people who are strictly on youtube or independant that either try to make a living off of it or force themselves onto LP'ing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Highwang posted:

From what I remember playing that game, its an absolute slog that just drags on in some instances. Coupled with his weird choice in video times, it adds up and you wind up with 50+ hours spread across 200 videos.

Gotta make ad revenue somehow.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RSCNyx posted:

I still don't know what MGS did to him to make him hate Hideo Kojima so much. I'm not sure what to make of it.

MGS doesn't have a function where it plays itself for you and makes it look like you're still in control.

DSP refuses to read anything, even game critical text displayed on the screen forcefully. He just keeps forcing his way through the game and all his frustrations get directed at whoever published and/or produced.

That above video has, at around 1:19:00, a segment where DSP needs to go get a new controller. He blames Sony for letting them publish a super hard game like Castlevania that made him rage and break his controller. You actually hear what sounds like him chucking it into a plastic bag, most likely the trash.

The man has a skewed view on life and the only people/person I feel bad for are social workers who have to work with individuals like him.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Roar posted:

Vintagebeef's not too bad.

Oldbeef's a little dry

:downsrim:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DoctorWhat posted:

PewDiePie on a box of Wheaties.

He won the 2013 LP Olympics in New Hampshire. He was the only one in attendance, so it made it real easy for him.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HGH posted:

Then there was a video with PsychedelicEyeball or someone else with a similar accent and the negative comments and backlash were ridiculous, death threats included. It's crazy how people react the moment something foreign shows up.

I hear he's from Quebec, so he deserves it. J'espere que personne prend ca au serieux :canada:

I remember a similar thing happening with "The Spoony One" or just Spoony, whatever, where he was doing some videos on fighting game movies and he had a co-commentator by the name of Film Brain (I think). FB tends to really prolong the pronounciation of the last syllable which really caught the ire of Spoony's viewers and apparently they were sending death threats and the like.

I personally don't like the way FB talks but I mean, death threats, really? It's just a silly video about Tekken or King of Fighters

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 13, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
^^^
His LP of Phantasmagoria 2: A puzzle of the flesh is hilarious. He seems to be put on the spot in some situations and he can be an rear end at times for sure, but I don't think he's one all the time.

Boxturret posted:

That's more Spoonies fans in general. I think his girlfriend was on a video once and they insulted her so much that she never made an appearance again.

Can't say I can remember that moment but yeah, his fans can be a pain in the rear end sometimes. It's why I rarely, if ever, read/check the comments or post one myself.

Spoony himself can be hilarious and I almost wish he'd bring Wrestle Wrestle back... almost.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Genocyber posted:

Might have to do with the fact that his style of commentary is a very negative and aggressive one. Might be similar to how Retsupurae had/has fans that do poo poo like sending death threats to people they've rp'd.

I think it's just a normal thing for LP'ers or Reviewers with a large following. Retsupurae, Thatguywiththeglasses, Spoony, PDP, DSP, and so on, they've all had some fans do crazy poo poo on their behalf.

I don't know what's worse, that I think it's normal or that people actually send death threats...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MGN001 posted:

Jesus Christ, they didn't even finish the first level. They were literally seconds away, too! Are all their videos like that?

In their defense, it is Glover after all.

I still don't know how I got so far in it as a kid.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

slowbeef posted:

I'd love a figurine or two from Dangan Ronpa! They're flammable right?

For some reason I can easily imagine you next to a pile of Dangan Ronpa and other figurines, throwing a gas can (Or just the gas) onto the pile than lighting it while flipping the camera the bird.

Would still be funnier than a PDP episode

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

frozentreasure posted:

Sell them all off to collectors, take the money as $1 bills, put it all in a pile and light that.

After he makes it rain

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I wish he had a military hat + combat vest. I'd totally believe it was Fidel Castro's nephew.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

And he's loving telling Gamingo not to use the facecam! Richard can't catch a break!

@Watch from 5:15

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 17, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
With all this DSP talk, I felt like this needed to be here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hEIBDRvT84

I suck at embedding

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 25, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Oh i know it's not, i just mean why go through the effort of using a game and working around it's systems when you have a literal program that you can make anything in? Like i said i've not used Source Filmmaker so i'm just king of talking in broad strokes so maybe it's not so easy.

Not everything is compatible with Source Filmmaker. And even then, Source Filmmaker came out in July 2012. Before that you had to use whatever you could to make videos/movies.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jamesman posted:

I came down with an illness, and decided I needed a break from such... harsh conditions... until I felt better. I'll get back to the grind in the next couple of days though.

Jesus... forcing yourself to watch DSP made you physically ill? The US Government needs to weaponize him pronto!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

IceAgeComing posted:

Not all pewdiepie fans are kids. There's this guy, for example.

:barf:

Why... why did I click that link?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

IceAgeComing posted:

I didn't know that Jesus had a youtube channel, myself.

He gives you tips on how to gently caress people up, with his buddy Liam. He's also a peder-rear end.

Nobody fucks with the Jesus

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jamesman posted:

Phil does sometimes do playthroughs with co-commentators. John Rambo, his girlfriend, and possibly another person? I attempted to watch one playthrough with John (Super Mario World), but didn't get very far, for reasons I previously listed. I might try to find another co-op playthrough that fits my criteria to see what it's like.

Oh my god, please do one with his girlfriend. I must hear about the ensuing trainwreck :allears:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kytrarewn posted:

Leaving this here: http://youtu.be/88B7Q6_1Roc

I haven't fully sorted my thoughts, except insofar as my feelings that the announcer is annoying and that 30 person EU4 is a pretty cool idea that barely works even when they're all on company PCs on the same LAN.

Still, it's a novel and fun (if extremely inefficient, in terms of man-hours per mechanic revelation) idea.

I just really can't imagine getting through 20 some-odd hours of it.

Personally, I really enjoy that sort of multiplayer experience. You can get into some really big alliances or rivalries with other players and it can end up having all the backstabbing and unexpected turn of events that a good drama can bring.

It would make for a cool lan party, with players who get knocked out going to other, faster-paced games. Then again, it helps if you enjoy long (board) games like Axis and Allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Suspicious Dish posted:

Says the guy who LPs adventure games, which are play-once, puzzle-it-out, and then you're done.

Counter point, any Legend of Zelda adventure game.

Some games are definitely better or have more value to them. It would be like saying Tetris is a poo poo game because it's just about figuring out how to form a complete line. I think, between purchases I've made of videogames that I had not seen a LP of and games I have, I have been much happier with my LP'ed games. And liking those LP'ed games gets me to check the other games in their catalogue which usually leads to more purchases.

• Locked thread