Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, I installed this thing last week and managed to get to the top 1000 in the tournament with a 20-ish level Iron Man and got the two covers I wanted. However, going for the tournament has shown me that 2 and 3 star heroes are way better than my current team. My advice is to reroll the enemies you pick as much as needed, because there is some hard-working, good player with a 1-star team that has progressed enough in the tournament to give 15-20 points easily. Anyway:

Do I get better covers (as in 3-stars, I've seen 2-star Storm, but doesn't seem too impressive) as I progress with the storyline? Otherwise I'm just going to uninstall, because the PvP feels way too skewed towards paying customers.

Plus, anyone feels that having a 300 Elo prize is ridiculous when the highest-ranking player right now is 1199 Elo points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm pleasantly surprised by (read: scared of) the amount of damage Venom's devour attack does, even without the instakill gimmick. Is it worth to put it into the team when available?

So far I'm running IM-Modern Storm-Thor, with an eye to swapping Storms when able. Are any early heroes clearly superior and/or sale fodder? Hawkeye and Juggernaut, maybe?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

retro sexual posted:

Repeating missions for rewards. I wanted to repeat the two missions in the starting story that give 50 gold as a reward. It said I had 1/2 rewards then when I beat it I just get 20 iso. Eventually after many retries I get the 2nd 50 gold reward. What determines this?

All the rewards aren't equally probable, though. I must have played Venom lvl 17 about 20 times trying to get a storm cover, and all I got was 400 cash. EDIT: I was playing some other level with a Storm cover. I'm dumb.

Speaking of which, I keep on getting distracted and swap between trying to get the 2 easy access Thor covers in the Tournament and the 2 Storm covers in the Venom mission. I should focus on one and use the rewards to get the other, but I get frustrated easily.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 15, 2013

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

On that topic, I have just discovered that the Elemental Barrier procs only if Storm is alive at the end of the attack that triggers it, so the usual counter is a Repulser Blast to the face.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

JHVH-1 posted:

I woke up and got pummeled by 5 people while I was sleeping.

Same here. I keep moving around level 600, that Green Thor looks so, so, very far away.

At what point in the storyline does he become available?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

The only solution to that is to make your team too scary looking to bother with.

Last night I spent 3 hours playing and wasn't attacked once, then put the game down and immediately got curbstomped. Do attacks only happen while you're out of battle? Because that could be helpful if you're trying to cling to a ranking and don't care about the battery of your phone.

Money troubles: Can you still get paired with scrub teams in SHIELD Versus when you're relatively high level?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Decided to lower my ranking in the SHIELD PvP because I was finding only teams with 3-star leveled heroes. Found some guys who would give me only 1 or 2 Elo points, began a battle and retired immediately, which caused a 30 points drop.

Apparently the game cannot deal with a player dropping ranks at match-3 speed and started handing me randomly low-level tier rewards each 2-3 battles (so far 100 Iso, Red and Yellow Iron Man and Storm covers):

It's a fun game, but for now I'm going to keep my money until I see where it goes. The coders behind it don't seem very competent between this, how easy is to hack the game, the tournament rewards, etc...

EDIT: And now for some reason all my rivals in the Thor Tournament are about 400 Elo lower than me. Matchmaking is crazy.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 18, 2013

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ultra Freon Beam usually does the trick :getin:

EDIT: New 1-star tournament looks nice. The rank requirements have been scaled down, with 1.000 points being 500 hero Coins, 800 for Spidey (3-stars), a Blue Iron Man at 400, etc...

Venom, Storm and Iron Man, I guess?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 18, 2013

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Funktor posted:

Holy crap, pulled X-Force Wolverine (yellow) from a heroic draw this morning. Just in terms of HP and damage output, even at level 1 (where I'm assuming he'll remain), that dude is a BEAST. My missions literally jumped down two difficulty levels. If I could only get his strike tiles power....

What does it take to upgrade a single skill of that guy? I'm curious.

EDIT: Got my poo poo kicked in by a team where everyone was 10 levels below mine and dropped from 910 to 880. I'm not going to get the 100 hero points (or Yelow Spidey), am I?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

MeramJert posted:

Are there any 4 star heroes other than the X-Force Wolverine?

None that I have seen.

Any idea whan is the patch scheduled for?. I've got lvl 1 2 star heroes and haven't seen any changes to the skills, so I guess it isn't here yet.

The way I understand it (at 6AM, so I may be wrong) a cover will upgrade the corresponding skill to the nearest multiple of five. So the best course of action right now would be to keep your covers and bump every skill you can to levels 2, 6, 11 or 16, right?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

bubbapook posted:

I had no idea it worked like that, and thankfully haven't gotten a char to that point either, but good to be aware of. Presumably the R40 changes may affect how this works...
There is a warning somewhere, I think in the screen after you retreat from a battle.

Which, by the way, you can do even in the middle of the enemy turn. It would have saved me some headaches during the tournament if I had pulled out as soon as Storm got a cascade out of her green power. Instead, I stupidly waited for Black Widow to steal my gems and Iron Man to shoot me repeatedly in the face.

^^^^^^
EDIT: Tell me you have a Spidey to go with that monstrosity.

EDIT EDIT: I've just been hit by a 500+ attack by a lvl 21 Hawkeye (1-star) with 2 purples+crit. It's twice what I get with a level 50 Iron Man on 2 red tiles plus critical. Taking another look at his stats, he has pretty good damage per tile, but also a x6.8 critical damage, and I assume it grows higher. He may be even useful on some maps.

Usefulness of the gimmick aside, I like the thought that's gone into the heroes design. +Crit is very appropriate Hawkeye, and I hope we end up with a number of different viable teams.

Liking the game so far.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 21, 2013

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

"Black Bo[X posted:

" post="420770266"]
Hawkeye's stats and crit multiplier get a 1.5x boost this tournament and crit doesn't increase per level unfortunately. That being said, his natural crit (4.5) is the highest of the heroes I've seen.

Dammit, I though it was a clever feature :(

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

This new patch thing is killing me. With my current team I'm forfeiting the good rewards in the tournament (as in Cap. America covers), but don't want to use ISO hoarded the last two days because I feel it'll be "wasted" as soon as they bump up the skill levels. 4.500 ISO to get a Lvl2 in everything Thor to lvl 5 in everything is a lot. Same deal with the Thor and Storm covers I'm holding.

And I just realised that to get that example Thor to a point where you get something "permanent" (raising him to lvl 6 everything, so when the patch comes around it gets to lvl 10 everything) costs around 18 euros. Talk about spending hundreds of dollars a month...

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Created a new facebook account for this, add me for sweet, sweet ISO. Name is Fatsamurai Fatsam.

I'm really liking the changes in the patch in a quick run I had yesterday. Seems the game is going in the right direction.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

epitasis posted:

Oof, lost 75 points overnight. Luckily it's not too hard to hit above your level with those boosts you can buy.

It seems you get a "+20% agains Avengers" boost every 2/3 battles. Defence is going to be impossible as the tournament nears its end.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

This weekends tournament is a free-for-all with no restrictions in playing characters that I can see. It'll be interesting to see some other teams than Iron Man, Thor and Cap. America.

Of course, I had to sell my lvl 20 Black Widow thinking she would not be useful after I ran out of cover space.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Some extra tips that have worked for me:

1) Skip, skip, skip. There is some poor guy somewhere that is out of his depth/went in with the wrong team/swapped team members for some reason. You just have to find him.
2) Know when to cut your loses: If enemy Thor is about to unleash all 3 powers on you, run away! Winning but crippling your team isn't worth it.
3) Try to save level ups for free heals if possible.
4) Don't try to heal with lvl 1 blue/lvl 1 yellow Spider-Man. You'll lose more health than what you'll win in the process.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I wish to congratulate D3 for the huge success of Marvel Puzzle Quest among the members of the Saudi royal family.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

It's been a while since I stopped playing (they had just introduced Cap. America, I think). Has anything important changed? Mainly with the PvP system, I had to get up at 4 in the morning if I wanted a shot at the good prizes.

EDIT: Some more questions that I forgot: What's that stuff I see about alliances? And does the game still eat batteries?

VVVV

Thanks, that's encouraging.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 4, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm glad to see the game has improved quite a bit in the three months I was away. A couple of questions:

- What's the best way to grind money? I plan to have a Thor-Spidey-Storm team, and they are all in their mid-50s. So far I am making 1000-1.500 ISO each fast tournament, which at this point is barely enough for a level.

- What's the normal distribution of skills for Cap? I'm at 5/4/4 and have a red cover laying around. I usually use yellow gems with Spidey/Thor, so I dont see much point in that power. Am I missing some awesome combo?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

matryx posted:

For cap - Red/Blue at 5 - Yellow at 3 because it's rubbish and overpriced, and his ability to shield away enemy tiles on two colours is really useful sometimes.

Thanks, that was what I thought, but I haven't run the numbers for how much damage you prevent.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

matryx posted:

For actually *grinding* money, my favourite option is still to just run the first prologue mission in 2 moves while watching TV. You don't even need to look at the screen once you get used to it.

I tried this yesterday for five minutes, but began feeling sorry for Dr. Doom. Being blasted 2 times a minute doesn't look like fun.

trucutru posted:

you got into a fresh bracket. Give it a couple of hours

It's very slow for me too. I've fought 4-6 times since the start of the tournament, I'm sitting pretty at the 60 spot in my bracket, and been attacked only once. People must be aiming for Ares.

How much does a Loki cover sells for, again? :getin:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

trucutru posted:

Were the prizes for the latest Hulk rounds supposed to be Heroic tokens instead of Hulk ones? because that's what I got.
Yep. You get Hulk Tokens by reaching point milestones in the "main" Hulk map. The rewards for the shorter rounds are Heroic tokens.

One of which got me a Blue Spidey :dance:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

It seems that 80% of the people killing my team is M.Storm+MBW. And any match against them can turn ugly even with level 65-70 characters. I just had to retreat from one because they had ALL THE GEMS by turn 2.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Arschlochkind posted:

One of my favorites is Daken repeatedly ignoring green matches in favor of yellow or red. Especially if there's already a couple of strike tiles down he can get rid of for me in one match. :downs:

Speaking of which, is the Daken/Hulk combo as fun as it seems on paper, or will Hulk be beefy enough that normal hits won't trigger his Anger passive?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Friendly Fire posted:

Commanders may now increase the number of players in the Alliance via Hero Points.

So, any rich goon wants to build the biggest alliance ever? Probably this should read "the members of the alliance".

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Sefer posted:

Rewards based on the combined scores of alliance members, as I recall. Having more members clearly gives an advantage there.

See? It's an investment!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Joined Hired Goonz. I'm pretty sure I know some of the names in there.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

EDIT: NVM, I'm stupid and didn't see the Alliance Rewards button.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 14, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

GTO posted:

I'm happy to buy a slot in the mighty pizza dogs if someone lets me in.

Yup. Same here.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

fezball posted:

I'll help myself to one of those then while there's still room (and get another one as soon as I get promoted).

Welp, missed my chance. 16/16. Still interested.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Also going to make a huge leap and assume that Fat Samurai is Fat Samurai.

You are right!

fezball posted:

New slot added, go for it.

Ok, done. Promote me and I'll spread the love.

EDIT: And done. 17/18

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 15, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Old news, but finally got around to reading the patch notes,

quote:

- These leaderboards will enable Alliance members to view their or other members' progress in a given event in a much more straightforward manner.

Really? Can I see how you guys are doing? I'm curious.

quote:

- As Iso-8 research continues, the ability to measure how much more powerful certain strains of Iso-8 make subjects has become more granular. As a result, Agents are now able to view the effective level of any Iso-8 powered up characters in an Event where they are more powerful. This does not result in a change in balance for those characters, it is simply a more straightforward way of viewing their assets' available skills.

I had to read this three or four times before I realised it meant "we painted the buffed guy's names purple". :v:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

The top 3 (EDIT: and the 6th, 8th and 9th) guys in my bracket have just thrown up shields, just as the timer dropped below 8 hours. That's 150HP for an event where the only difference between 2nd and 10th is 500 ISO. I understand it if you are number 1 and have a 200 points advantage, but for the 2nd onwards?

EDIT: I would exchange my roster with number 9 in a heartbeat.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

HGH posted:

Is there some kind of scoreboard to track that or something? Or do they just own everything at maxed out levels and shield everything by spending hundreds of dollars?
Also, the top 5 or so always feel pretty far from everything else.
What rank is Pizza Dog at right now?

15th with 7500-ish points ATM.

Friendly Fire posted:

I have done this before when the event was going to finish while I am unavailable and I really wanted the 3* covers. Previously it meant that you spent as many HP on the event as you gained if you hit the 500 point progression reward.

Yeah, but in this particular case you have a bigger buffer than usual because you lose so little dropping from 5th to 6th. As for the guys in the lower end of the scale, 8th and 9th have already disappeared from the top 10.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 16, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Hogama posted:

Modern Thor event. Prizes are Psylocke and Ares.
I think I'd be okay finishing my Ares.

Mainly because my main heavy hitter is Not Modern Thor and I can't use it for this event. Thanks, game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

messagemode1 posted:

IW is usable if you had all of her covers and unlimited ISO.

If you're not that kind of whale, then no.

Vaguely related: does it cost more ISO to level up a 3-star than a 1-star to, say, level 50? Ignoring the head start a 3-star gets.

And another: is a level 85 3-star stronger than a level 85 2-star?

Basically I'm trying to decide whether to level up IM40 or keep on trucking with Cap. IM is lvl 30 and 3/3/3 and Cap is lvl 50 with max skills.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks, that was quite helpful.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Note to self: Stop getting in grudge matches with people ranked lower than me. It never ends well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Top of my bracket is currently 802. And everyone in the top 10 is shielded but me. Let me see if I can keep the top 5 for a couple of hours.

God bless European timezones.