Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ViggyNash posted:

In S&W, the economy was well defined and extensive after being built up over centuries.

Shiroe is trying to create an entirely new economy. There's no depth to his economy because he literally just started making it.

CEO Nwabudike Morgan, The Centauri Monopoly posted:

Our first challenge is to create an entire economic infrastructure, from top to bottom, out of whole cloth. No gradual evolution from previous economic systems is possible, because there is no previous economic system. Each interdependent piece must be materialized simultaneously and in perfect working order; otherwise the system will crash out before it ever gets off the ground.

:v:

I just got into this and powered through up to the latest episode. Fantastic series! It took a while for me to get around to this because the concept of "people stuck in a video game" seemed a bit lame to me because I'm not really into MMOs, and I'd never seen Sword Art Online. However, around episode 5 or 6, this show really started to hit its stride once Shiroe's plans started falling into motion. It's sort of like my favorite part of post-apocalyptic stories -- the part where people have to band together and create a new society, except it's all about that, which is awesome!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ok, show of hands, how many of us play stuff like Civ5 and 4x games in general? *raises hand*

Well, I quoted SMAC on the other page, and I'm really into Paradox games, so wellp, stand up and testify! :v:

Hmm. I never gave that Demon Queen manga a try-- isn't it based on a light novel by the same guy? If I like Log Horizon I am guessing I'll like that too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I like it when Akatsuki does the thing where she spins in the air in front of the moon and slashes.

It's kind of neat in that distinctly "anime" way. :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It'd be interesting if it turned out that People of the Land can attack adventurers in cities because it's not counted as PVP.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Where do they come from? Is there a lab somewhere cloning youngish men, implanting violent memories, grafting on yankee hairstyles, and paralysing their facial muscles into an ugly scowl?

This would be a great manga, by the way.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The thing that would really shake the power balance and affect the lives of everyone would be if it was revealed that the People of the Land can somehow rise to become Adventurers, while Adventurers can lose their immortality and stat bonuses and become People of the Land. It would be very interesting to see what would happen if that came to be.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Speaking as someone who doesn't know a lot about MMOs outside of some very casual Guild Wars playing back in the day, are there any MMO games out there that don't have a level cap, and instead you can just level up forever -- albeit on a logarithmic scale and with diminishing returns?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dan7el posted:

Also, there appears to be no rez'ing. In SAO I understood that, but in almost all MMO's, healer-types have some rez ability at some level. That perplexes me. I wonder, if they did have the ability to rez, could they rez People of the Land?

Cue the necromancer in far southern Japan who's busy killing all the People of the Land and building himself an army of skeletons. :zombie:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

At first I was kind of "Ugh, where are they even going with this?" with the Kids' Training Camp arc, but I've grown to really love it. Seeing Minori turn from a reticent, submissive follower into a tactical leader after the mold of Shiroe is really thrilling!

As an aside, what's that word that Akatsuki keeps using, that sounds like "Sh'kun"?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I love this show -- in fact it's the only anime whose OP I watch every single time, just because it's so neat. The music is rockin', and it's got flashy cuts of the characters posing in a cool way-- basically everything I want out of an anime OP!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It's probably something that would have to come up at some point, if the point of the story is less "OMG WE LIVE IN A COMPUTER GAME NOW!!" and more like "the development of a post-apocalyptic society". Every society would have to eventually consider how they'll take care of the children, who will help them when they are elderly, how they will manage population growth and education, and various other important economic, social, and political factors.

I think it'd actually be interesting to see as time goes on. Perhaps at some point it would start to dawn on people-- "Oh man, what if we never get back to normal? What if this is how life is from now on? We're going to grow old and die in this world." And it might be cool to see how they deal with that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yeah, it's kind of like an S.M. Stirling novel in that respect -- a bit like the Nantucket series where the island of Nantucket circa 1999 gets time-warped back to the bronze age.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Shukaro posted:

"I'm sorry Martha I can't marry you, you picked a suboptimal class."

Wow. Thinking about that, if it was a darker series, I think issues of a caste system arising due to certain classes that turn out to be "weaker" or "nerfed" might really be an issue!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

As a player of Crusader Kings 2 and other Paradox Grand Strategy games, I feel that I would be in a very good position to take over the world if it suddenly fused with a computer game.

:goonsay:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Miscellaneous Info posted:

Western Europe
Guilds:
- Straight Panties, guild that only wears panties on the lower half of their bodies. Made up of various races, but mainly werecats.

:catstare:

... where ... where else would you wear panties?

v- Oh. Keepin' it classy, I see! -v

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 7, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I just love how Minori's growing up to be a mini-Shiroe. Her arc is probably the best in the whole show, it's so rewarding to see a kind of insecure, flaky girl turning into a badass strategist like him.

Well THIS sure is a surprise!! I'm sure that none of us saw this coming at all! But meh, I shouldn't have watched the preview -- looks like they'll be copping out on Rudy being Really For Reals Dead.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Myurton posted:

That was a fun episode as for Rudy my guess is that Shiroe will write up some the type of contract that someone agrees to when ever they sign up to play an MMO, you know that huge wall of text that most people don't read and just hit the agree button. Thus binding Rudy to the adventurer system making him an adventurer. That would be the most likely scenario.

How's he going to sign a EULA if he's already dead?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

veekie posted:

Frying a direwolf with an explosion spell cast INSIDE it's body was great though. That thing is level 35, they aren't even level 30, and there's two of them with goblin support as well. Must be some good XP

I think that that was interesting to show off the fact that it's not simply a matter of "shoot spell, do damage", but that there's also an element of realistic weakpoints and physical shapees that can be taken into consideration.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Desuwa posted:

So if Shiroe scribes up a contract that lets PoTL become magical girls adventurers to save Rudy, what's to stop him from extending the same offer to the princess?

Actually except for the reagents being rare (presumably this would require max level paper and inks, which has been foreshadowed to some extent) there would be little stopping him from offering this to every PoTL. Just because of that I don't think we're actually going to see an adventurer contract but something else entirely. It would also be surprising to see that adventurers had the power to grant adventurer status to others.

Man. Scribes (as well as attendant industries) would be able to make an absolute killing doing this. They basically have the formula for immortal life -- and the newly-sentient, human People of the Land would be absolutely up in arms to get a piece of that action.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Excellent episode. Yes, yes, I know I was ragging on the cheapness of reviving a character earlier, but the whole contract thing showing how the world really doesn't play by the old rules anymore was really cool. Also, that was a very nice face that Crusty was making during the battle. I half-expected him to howl at the moon or laugh maniacally like someone from Hellsing! :unsmigghh:

I think that I look forward to Log Horizon more each week than Kill la Kill, actually!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Emalde posted:

So this episode of course has a huge number of implications, but instead of spinning on something I feel like wont ever be re-visited in the anime specifically, I'd like to instead note how "Adventurer" is just a full-on subclass instead of some kind of base status in this instance. Does that mean there are additional unlockable benefits to the State Of Existing As An Adventurer that nobody else has yet? Or is it really just something that occured for circumstance?

Yeah, that is something I just noticed on rewatching the episode just now. It being the case that POTL can be given Adventurer status as a sub-class, I think that this precludes the chance for POTL to infinitely spread Adventurer status among themselves unless there is already at least one POTL who is a level 90 scribe (not likely). So in other words, it confers a potential power-relationship that can be exploited by adventurers; only Adventurers are free to take the subclass "Scribe" and thereby grant POTL the subclass of Adventurers.

Although I guess it'd work if a POTL who didn't already have a class was contracted by Shiro. Then he'd probably gain "Adventurer" as his main class, and then be able to take on "Scribe" as a subclass. I dunno about this, though, without knowing more about how the class system works.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I do hope that this show gets a second season. It'd be a painful let-down if 26 episodes was all that we ever got!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Adelheid posted:

It's been pretty steady in adapting a volume about every five episodes, but... There's only one seven volumes out right now. If we see a continuation, it probably won't be for a very long time, although they could theoretically fit two volumes into one season if they slowed the pace a bit.

But regardless, yeah, Log Horizon is amazing and is far and away my favorite show in quite some time.

Wow, that fast? I had no idea about the pacing versus the number of volumes. Gee, that probably does mean that it'll be much more than a year till the next season. :smith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

veekie posted:

The light novels describe things in more detail(Mamare sort of likes to go rambling off on a subject every so often), and there's a wiki out there that collates some of the information.

Yeah, I took a look at some of the translated versions floating around out there... is this normal for light novels?? Because it's terrible, stylistically. I've also read a few of the Spice & Wolf novels, but they were never quite as bad -- even though the author of those also sometimes has problems with the whole "show not tell" rule.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

Isn't it the same author? Didn't he also do Mayuu-whatever (not the one with the parttimer, the one with the Demon Queen who introduces potatoes)? Or is "A brief treatise on the economics of ye olde fantasyworld" somehow its own genre in Japan?

Nah, the author of Spice & Wolf is Isuna Hasekura, while the author of Maoyu and Log Horizon is Mamare Touno.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Clearly, the solution is for a level-90 Adventurer, subclass Scribe, to create a contract with a POTL that confers to them the subclass "Adventurer-Trainer".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It really does seem like a kind of Star Trek-like "Prime Directive" situation. It is moral to help those in need and prevent suffering, but is it ethical for those who possess a technological advantage to interfere with the natural development of a less technologically advanced society?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

If Rudy were to swap out his Adventurer subclass for something else, do you suppose he'd die? Like, is he being maintained by the contract's existence, like some kind of lich with a paper phylactery, or was the revive just because he had "Adventurer" status at the moment?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Wolpertinger posted:

I was skimming around google, and found another thing that it might have been. - more possible big manga or whatever spoilers, obviously. Apparently, Nureha discovered how to permanently kill adventurers by buying the cathedral they are bound to, which would be pretty world changing itself

Huh.It almost seems obvious, considering how Shiroe was able to blackmail all the guilds of Akihabara by buying the Guild building. In fact you could probably blackmail even harder by restricting access to that area (and therefore, the only means of revival) in exchange for obedience to your will or whatever.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

:kimchi: New Episode on Crunchyroll :kimchi:

"I'd rather fight a dozen raid bosses at once." :v:
Disturbing lack of Rudy, but I liked the episode though.

Ahahaha. Now Lenessia's been merchandised and turned into a creeper figurine!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ethiser posted:

Or if one wasn't literally a child. I mean come on I really do not want to see a middle schooler's crush on someone in his twenties treated seriously.

I would be okay with this only if it was treated in a realistic and mature manner. I mean, hell, it's not an unbelievable thing -- tons of people, myself included, have had crushes on teachers while in middle school. Puberty is a confusing thing. There's lots of novels in the teen section that deal with middle-school crushes. But Shiroe should handle it in the way a realistic, mature adult person would. He should set a boundary and be firm with her: "I'm flattered, but you're only thirteen, this is a confusing time for you when you're discovering all sorts of new emotions, and you have a lot of growing-up to do."

So basically, in a way that would probably never come up in any anime, disappointingly.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Vengarr posted:

I, too, wanted to see a 30-minute episode where Shiroe called a guild meeting to discuss acceptable fraternization. Preferably with slides.

I never said anything like that! You're being unfair. :(

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I like that the plot is gearing up for the last three episodes. The show had really been dragging along with this slice-of-life stuff since the end of the incredible Goblin War Arc, so it would've been such a let-down to end on such a ho-hum note. Let's hope that the revving-up indicates that they're planning on a second season somewhere down the line!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I really like how Minori's taking after Shiroe, but I hope that they make it more interesting someday by, rather than having her just become "Shiroe Jr.", she'll have reason to go against him at some point. It seems unlikely, though, given the show's style.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ahhhh! I'm really really excited about Season 2 coming this fall! It's gonna be so great with Anti-Shiro Nureha in the mix and all the other stuff that they'll be getting into. I have a feeling it's just gonna keep getting bigger and more complex!

Also, seconding the guy who wanted the OST. The main "stuff is getting real" theme has really grown on me. I think it'd be an excellent accompaniment for when I execute a master-plan in Crusader Kings 2 or whatever. :keke:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think it was said earlier in the show that everyone who got "shifted" was playing the game at the time. So their character who they were playing at the time was the one they became.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Actually you get to be all of them at once, you sort of become this distributed hive-mind like entity.

It's pretty awesome.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Furious Lobster posted:

There was a quick mention of Ooshima contacting Shiroe in episode 21; I think you'll find the name of Ooshima's guild to be somewhat of a give-away :v: .

Ahahaha, so Shiroe has become Varys! Excellent. What a lovely sly reference!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

They could probably use the magical contract law skill to create a common-use contract or some kind of dummy "holding guild" that would have collective ownership of the Cathedral and grant dual membership. So you could be a member of the "Akihabara Holding Trust guild" as a secondary guild to your primary guild, which would guarantee access to the facilities and buildings owned collectively by the residents of Akihabara.

I also wonder if in the next season they'll deal with the issue of succession of power. As it is, the only reason why Akihabara works as well as it does is that the founding members of Round Table happen to be fairly benevolent people. But this system will only last one generation. Once they have to move on, or if someone needs to succeed them for some other reason, the tendency will be for oligarchy to move towards monopolizing power for their own benefit instead of the community's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So Round Table will just stay in power forever like the Faction leaders in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri? That's hardly better. There's issues with that as well. Like what if some personal disagreement or scandal makes one or two of them very unpopular, or someone has a nervous breakdown and starts to behave irrationally? How do you remove these people from office? What if the crafting guilds use their influence on the council to monopolize all trade in the city for their own benefit, and give preferential treatment to their own guildmembers? You can't just depend on them being just and benevolent and good forever; some system needs to be put into place such that it guarantees fresh blood being rotated into Round Table, and to address issues like unseating a member.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 24, 2014

• Locked thread