Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

omg chael crash posted:

Was there any specific reason for changing Constantine? I really don’t mind, just curious

When the actor was announced, I thought there were discussions of a separate Constantine show and they either wanted to use the same actor for both, or have the Constantine show be boy-Constantine and Sandman be the girl-Constantine. I assume the show is dead, unless they've somehow made it fit under reality TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I skipped most of 24 Hours and only regret not skipping more. The John stuff is just human misery, and the Morpheus part at the end is another bullshit magic fight.

If you are going to watch 24 Hours, make sure you have time to watch the following episode too, rinse that out.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

The Question IRL posted:

And she really doesn't like graphic violence. How much should I do to prepare her for future episodes?

Maybe just skip everything with John Dee? He kills a bunch of prison guards and folks. I think he mainly appears at the end of episodes, so you can just skip ahead, but I'm not 100%
Some Corinthian stuff might get weird too. There's just a lot of dark stuff in the series, but the one you mention is definitely the saddest

Shageletic posted:

<Bojack Horseman stuff>
I would rank Bojack as one of the best series anywhere. Like you say, Bojack is incredibly toxic, but I feel like Bojack is better at the characters, it shows him as a funny and fun loving guy who is also an extremely petty piece of poo poo, and when he goes on or off the wagon, it feels more well reasoned than it does on other shows. Plus it has lines like "Maybe I'm like a kit-kat, I was born broken"

Conrad_Birdie posted:

If you’re not expecting mostly “bullshit magic fights” Sandman might not be for you!

I guess I just like shows about garbage people trying to be better?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Joe Fisto posted:

No, but I have listened to the audio play. I recall that being more graphic.

TBH I didn't watch the full episode, but it definitely looked less bloody than the comic, which has fingers being cut off and people acting like animals killing each other. The comic was also drawn in a very sketched out manner, so it created a bit more mental space between the reader and the subjects, and it was a series of like three panel vignettes, so I think it worked a bit better but I would still probably skim it if I do a re-read.

All in all it was just a lot of "why are these people being mean jerks? Oh right, magic". It was pessimism masquerading as cheap drama, and personally I don't need that. And the whole "Pessimism == Truth" is just a line I've grown sick of.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

theironjef posted:

Seeing a lot of people say the news scene in this episode means that this takes place during Shang-Chi AND that Banner flying off back to Sakaar means WW Hulk is coming, which seems reasonable, but that does leave me wondering how long Shang-Chi was at his dad's house and training with the Ta Lo folks, since that ended with Banner being friendly and full-human again. That would sorta blunt the thrust of a World War Hulk movie, knowing he's just fine and chill again later.

Personally my big guess is that we don't get WWHulk, we just get introduced to Skaar and/or Hulkling.

All of Shang-Chi, except for flash backs, could have taken place over 4 days or less. The people you're referencing have little grasp of how long it takes for news to travel.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Back in my day all we had was Green Lou Ferrigno and the same 3 clips of jeans tearing, and it was still the most exciting part of the day, except for constant nuclear terror and occasional releases from Weird Al Yankovic.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

glitchwraith posted:

The thing about the post credits scene is that, while the dance is inherently sexual, it's not sexualized. Like, there is a surprising lack of male gaze to the scene helped primarily by the fact that the dance is done in a realistically fitting, professional suit. The scene isn't there to entice the audience, it's there to show a fan of Megan Thee Stallion getting to have fun with Megan Thee Stallion by doing one of Megan Thee Stallion's signature dances.

Of course, nothing pisses off chuds more than nerd media not catering to them specifically.

Counterpoint - Lawyers are inherently sexy.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

On the one hand, I can't disagree with any of this. On the other hand, I really like where the season ended up. "People can be more than just one thing: they grow and evolve" is a hell of a thesis statement for a wacky violent R-rated cartoon show about the Joker's girlfriend.

I just finished the first season, and yeah, where they reached far they really did well. Some of the side characters really got to me, so I have trouble recommending it, but the parts that were good were really drat good on a few levels.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Klungar posted:

Got to you in what way?

Dr Psycho's voice (Appreciated a lot of other stuff about the character)
Also, Clayface's voice.

I have opinions on some other folks, but those were the big ones.

Definitely made worse by not pacing myself through the episodes.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

CoolCab posted:

finished it and overall easy easy recommend for peacemaker. there is some extremely good television on right now but very easily my favourite superhero product of this year i think, and likewise if you haven't bothered with The Suicide Squad on the fairly solid basis of what it was like before the The you're fuckin up and you should watch it first. both of them are closer to james gunn things than other stuff.

here's a question that has i guess some pretty major spoilers is peacemaker implied to be gay or probably bisexual, or at least to have slept with a man previously i suppose? his father constantly calls him a f** or similar but i thought that was just him being a nazi piece of poo poo, but when he was calling out his sins he says "I knew when you listened to that devil music. I knew when you shaved your body like a woman. I knew when you slept with the whores of polluted blood! and men!" with a real emphasis on that last word. like the other stuff is him being flippant or culture warry but he puts real hatred on men. it makes me wonder.
There was a discussion about this way back in the thread. Someone pointed out Peacemaker's threesome with Vigilante, and that's pretty bi. Also, "What am I supposed to look at, towels?" is up there for the greatest line in the DCU.

Regarding FatWS, Sam and Bucky should have done more therapy together.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Jessica Jones doesn''t have a huge comic history to draw on, so the show deviated pretty quickly. Season 1 expands/improves on her story with Kilgrave. Pretty much everything else is new or heavily changed.
Season 1 just set such a high bar, really good show.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

X-O posted:

Well not all of them. The third season of Daredevil was the best season by far. And that's after a great first season and a pretty good second one.

That was the Punisher and Electra stuff? It's been a while but I remember the Punisher part was great, Electra much less so. The quality of the episode was inversely proportional to the number of ninjas in it.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Re-do Three's Company with Drax, Darcy, Katey. Madisynn replaces Larry, the upstairs neighbor. White-Mandarin is the landlord.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I watched Stargirl season 1 recently and was really surprised at how much I liked it. A lot of pieces that are normally clunky or eye-rolling just came together well.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I would be more sad if he wasn't named Teddy than if he wasn't named Hulkling

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

his name is Dorrek VIII
:negative:

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I don't remember: Did Iron Fist Season 1 end with a guy trying to shoot Iron Fist? And, like, the whole plan was to shoot Danny somewhere other than his fist, which is iron?

I can't tell if that's just some dumb joke I heard or if I actually saw that.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Sticking to Legends is fine as long as you're ok with Arrow or someone popping in to say "Hey, we all hate these aliens now, ok?" for like 2 episodes.
I just got the Legends part of CoIE and it was great. There was some other kind of multiverse bang up which was great too. Legends is dumb fun, and it really leans into it as it goes.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

TwoPair posted:

ooo! ooo! That was me!

Anyway yeah this is definitely Discovery's biggest crime so far imo

That's good, you're good.

Final Crisis had some ridiculous stuff going on around it, but it was a really fun end of the world

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I really liked how, in the latest Spider-Man Homecoming, GankeNed's super useful computer skills were just Google Maps and Google Search

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Jack Hawksmore was always a cool idea, although his powers ended up being random enough that it didn't really work.

e: Jenny Quantum is the dumbest name in a medium full of dumb names. I'd rather they rename her Jenny Bloodshot

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The withholding stuff story line is more impactful when it is vaccines and medicine instead of, like, 3 trucks full of blankets or something.

I don't want to derail with actual humanitarian concerns, and I 100% support giving asylum and support to refugees, but sending out superheroes did not feel like a cost effective solution to stuff being stolen from refugees, unless they are going to punch policy makers.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Scenes like Brasso establishing an alibi for Cassian, Hyne dressing down Syril or even just the opening scene with Cassian and the rent-a-cops are far better than anything in Secret Invasion (though the scene with Colman and Jackson ain't half bad).
There is a lot to learn by looking at why Andor is so good, and I think a lot of it is just simple stuff well written and well acted. The realistic level of intensity that Cassian and Syril bring to getting away with murder / finding a murderer is enough to propel the episode, and the actions (especially why Hyne doesn't want to follow the crime) are so realistic it sets it apart from the rest of Star Wars.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No. Obama was canonically defeated during his re-election campaign in 2012 by President Ellis after he ran on a campaign of global security following the battle of New York.

How many Presidents Ellis are there? I know there was Calvin Ellis, the DC Superman/President of Earth-Something

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I liked the Harley from Injustice, and her power was essentially being always underestimated.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
SI had the evil minions try to merc their leader because he was unhinged and executed one of them. That's the most realistic thing that has ever happened in Marvel.

Otherwise, a very uninteresting show

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I went into Gen V with low expectations but it won me over. I checked out the cartoon spinoff and left pretty quickly.

Regarding the last episode or 2 Sam and Cate made sense as kids going with a poorly thought out idea, which is true to the character, but if they just keep going that way in a future season it'll get old really quickly. "gently caress you mom, I'm going to murder people I don't like" works for these characters, but once they calm down there should be some introspection.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I don't understand most of Gripweed's opinions on comics about fighting giant monsters, but I appreciate the passion he puts into them

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The Peacemaker club could be vaguely aware the universe has been reset, maybe they learn it from Batmite.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Folks at the brewery are talking real loud about gambit being gay in x men 97.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Lobok posted:

Just because of a crop top?

The crop top featured heavily in the conversations, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Just saw that Dead Boy Detectives is apparently streaming on Netflix soon. I completely forgot about it, but I'll probably check it out