Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Regardless of how anybody feels about Homeland everybody should be watching Masters of Sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Really? AMC Theaters aired promos for it that I'd see every time I went to the movies for a while, but it didn't look like it would be terribly above average.

Yeah it's really good so far. It's a Showtime show, however, so it will all turn to poo poo in the second season.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Shameless is the lone exception to the rule I suppose. Though I don't really watch many other Showtime shows.

You're right Shameless is awesome and just keeps getting better.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
So after the roaring success of the Ironside reboot NBC is now rebooting Murder, She Wrote. :cripes:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

So witches are the new zombies?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Anyone else going to watch NBC's Dracula show tonight?

I have it set to record on my DVR but I'm not super excited about it. Early reviews and the trailers all point to it being mediocre.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

futurememory posted:

How has any of the History Channel's original dramatic programming been? I'm trying to gauge how hamfisted this remake is going to be.

Vikings and Hatfields & McCoys were great but I didn't watch The Bible. They are also doing a Bonnie & Clyde miniseries that looks interesting.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

...! posted:

Looks like Whale Wars is finally coming back next month. I missed my summertime ritual of watching the Sea Shepherds doing the stupidest poo poo imaginable.

This is fantastic news. I didn't think it would ever return.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

Just watched the first two episodes of the newest season of Eastbound and Down. Why have I not been keeping up!?

This season has been nearly perfect. I know a lot of people checked out when they supposedly ended the series last year but the show has been amazing.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
The first couple of episodes of Spartacus are pretty bad but it gets better really fast. Watch through the fourth episode (The Thing in the Pit) before giving up on it if the show doesn't grab you from the start.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

The first 3 or 4 episodes only seem bad the first time you watch them, if you're not aware of the awesomeness to come. Watching them in retrospect after you've seen the whole series, they aren't bad at all since you know it builds to greatness.

I don't know...I'd say that the first episode especially is just plain bad. Knowing that the show improves makes it easier to get through but it's still awful. I actually find it harder rewatching the first season knowing that Andy Whitfield isn't going to be around after it ends. :smith:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Stanfield posted:

These are just off the top of my head:

- Continually uses the glee club to hit on Emma, including putting on a production of Rocky Horror - with him playing Frankenfurter because the kid who was cast was too uncomfortable - because she had mentioned that she and her husband had seen it. I think he might also have performed Toxic with them, but that might have been a a fever dream.

- Told Yelled at one of his students, who had had a pretty hosed-up life and was clearly dealing with a lot of poo poo, to "grow up".

- Did a really racist performance of La Cucaracha while dressed in a poncho and sombrero, was called out on it by his latino student, did another really racist performance of something-or-other while dressed as a matador, was called out on it again, went to night classes taught by Ricky Martin to learn Spanish (keep in mind, Will was a Spanish teacher) before giving Ricky Martin the job as Spanish teacher and taking over as History teacher. He won Teacher of the Year that year.

- Stole his dead student's letterman jacket and let everyone blame the dead kid's best friend, and when said best friend came up to him in private pleading for him to believe that he didn't steal it, accused the friend of stealing it.

There's more but it happens so often now that it's all kind of a blur.

Glee's worse because it still has small moments of genuine quality, which just make you depressed about how good the show could have been.

I think Will suspending one of the girls for a week because she refused to wear a clamshell bikini to school tops everything else.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Preparing his students for the constant degradation of real acting careers is probably the most responsible thing Will's ever done.

That also explains the Blurred Lines sequence. drat...you might be on to something.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Anybody going to watch Mob City tomorrow night? I've been looking forward to it but doesn't seem like anybody is talking about it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Slamhound posted:

I initially read that as "boxing episode of B5."

The boxing episode of B5 makes every other shows' boxing episode look amazing.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Cactus posted:

So how far down the shitter has Homeland gone this season? I'm not seeing much talk surrounding it and that I have seen has been vaguely negative. Did the it's going to go like 24 predictions from the first season finally reach fruition?

If you can make it past the big "shocking" gimmick reveal in the third or fourth episode the season isn't bad. I'm enjoying it more than I did last season.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Tupping Liberty posted:

If I were to make a thread for The Sing Off would anyone post in in besides me? Before I go into the effort of making something decent...

I would post in it to express my profound sadness that Sara Bareilles isn't a judge this season. :smith:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I've been getting "Peacock Panel" surveys from NBC for over a year now, and they never ask about TV shows. They only ask about the Olympics and the Voice... This is why you're in last place.

I'm on FOX's survey panel and the only thing they ever ask about is American Idol.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Nick Lachey hosting a Sing-Off is like me hosting a Don't-Shitpost-For-An-Hour-Off

He's pretty inoffensive as a host. At least he's not a judge.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Joss Whedon and Felicia Day slapfighting...this is now The Worst Thread.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zoux posted:

We could fight about Tiller dailies :catbert:

I don't even play WoW anymore and my bad posting haunts me still. :smithicide:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That is dirty as gently caress and I hope he takes them to the cleaners. And it's not exactly the best way for AMC to attract the talent they need to replace their hit programmes either.

Didn't AMC also try and screw over Mad Men and Breaking Bad so they could pour more money into TWD or am I not remembering that right?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Its kind of a balancing act since Mads is so restrained.

I've always really loved Anthony Hopkins' performance in Silence of the Lambs but after watching Hannibal I think he should have played it more like Mads. The restraint makes Dr. Lecter so much more menacing.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
BSG should get extra points for having a boxing episode that wasn't completely horrible.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes but The Plan, Caprica, and Blood and Chrome did a good job of making GBS threads all over BSG's legacy.

Hey at least those weren't as bad as The Legend of the Rangers was for B5!

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Its Starz, they can afford Ellen Page but they still can't make a good show outside of Spartacus regardless of the budget. See: Camelot

See also: Da Vinci's Demons

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Oh hi, this double post is brought to you by the Veronica Mars trailer, which was just released by E, a network which I refuse to exclaim.

It's cool! Aside from "VERONICA MARS IS BACK" they're kind of selling it as its own cool little mystery story!

I can't wait to see the movie. I hope it's not horrible!

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
So True Detective starts on Sunday and critics are heaping praise but from early reviews and the trailer I'm getting a Low Winter Sun vibe. I really hope I'm wrong.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

I love Girls just for the amount of drama that it creates.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Lena Dunham would have come across much better if her response to the question wasn't "If you’re not into me, that’s your problem, and you are going to have to work that out with whatever professionals you’ve hired."

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I don't think the lack of black characters in GIRLS is any more of a problem than it is in any other show. It's a criticism you could level at some of the best shows of all time, yet people act like GIRLS is the first to do it. You force a black character in there and it becomes a token thing.

Which is exactly what happened when they brought Donald Glover in for the first two episodes of season two and then dropped him. It was a really clumsy way to address the criticisms.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

tomapot posted:

drat creepy, appointment TV right here. What are there 10 episodes?

8 episodes

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I just walked through the living room where my wife is watching TV and saw four dudes in James Purefoy masks stabbing a bunch of people in a subway car with icepicks. The Following is back!

edit: now some dude is having sexy pillow talk with a dead girl :cripes:

smg77 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 20, 2014

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Just make a Downton Abbey season 4 type thread. If anyone complains then they shoulda made the thread if they like the show so much.

There is no way to top the OP of the Downton Abbey season 4 thread.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

It is and always has been a silly/stupid show and it kind of revels in it. If anything this season is more grounded than previous seasons, if only because we are mostly just dealing with witches as opposed to an insane grab bag of ghouls and ghosts.

The current season is much better about telling a coherent story where last season was fun because of how nutso the whole thing was. I'm enjoying witches this year and don't think the show is nearly as bad as the AHS thread would have you believe.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

tk posted:

From the commercials, I was hoping Rake would be similar to Shark. I liked Shark. Am I the only one who watched Shark?

Shark was awesome in the same way The Blacklist is awesome: really fun lead actor and completely forgettable supporting cast. I'd love to see James Woods and James Spader have a smarm-off.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zoux posted:

New Cosmos trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb5tdqplTqQ

Please try and refrain from the same tired debates and comments about Seth McFarland.

I'm absolutely going to watch the new Cosmos but Neil deGrasse Tyson is really no substitute for Carl Sagan.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zoux posted:

Yeah but he's as close as we can come without a time machine.

I really like Bill Nye but he doesn't really have the gravitas to pull it off either. Honestly, though, nobody else would measure up to Sagan.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zoux posted:

I'm sure that, for that reason, some people will say, "why remake it then" but with Cosmos it makes more sense to update it (and periodically into the future as well) than other remakes. We've come so far in terms of our understanding of the universe since the original Cosmos and what they were trying to do with SFX in the original show can be accomplished so much better today, that I think it's appropriate to do so.

I absolutely agree with you and didn't mean to imply that they shouldn't have bothered updating it (I've just never been a big fan of Tyson). The original series (and book) had a huge impact on me when I was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

IRQ posted:

Ah, the universal (pun not intended) symbol for "thar be reruns on tv this week for no good reason."

NBC loses money on the Olympics at this point if I remember 2012 right. The most memorable part of which was the horrible logo that was Lisa blowing Bart, and Mittens' dancing horse.

The funniest thing about the London Olympics was that if you only watched NBC coverage you'd think women's beach volleyball was the biggest sport in the world. I swear they got more coverage than anything else combined.

• Locked thread