Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahaha, after the batshit insane twist on Sunday night's episode of Homeland, I'm almost glad it's getting renewed now. If you'd asked me last week, I'd have said "gently caress that, I hope it gets canned." But they really pulled a whacky trick out of their hat, so I'm gonna stick around and see where it goes.

poo poo, I better get on catching up on Homeland then.

I swear, no TV show went from "Must Watch" Premier in Season 2 to "I couldn't quite care enough to get it off my DVR" in Season 3.

It wasn't even that the end of Season 2 was that bad. It just didn't grab me and make me want more like Season 1 did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Ah yes, I believe Spartacus does not smile for the rest of the season from that point.

Unless he's about to spread Roman cheeks to accept deeper ramming.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

The lead character is Karl Urban, who was Judge Dredd in last year's Dredd movie.
(You should also watch last year's Dredd movie, by the way.)

All I could think about when watching the commercials for Almost Human was that it looked like Judge Dredd was training RoboCop.

Which would make a badass show that Almost Human can't possibly live up to.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

I just finished Spartacus' first season... holy poo poo, that was good TV.

One of us, one of us...

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm finding SHIELD really dull and feels like it's a generic action show from the 90s. It's only the first season though so I'm not ruling it out. Star Trek TNG sucked balls for the entire first two seasons.

TNG has gems among the mostly garbage first season. Even more in the second before purging most of what was wrong with the show.

I'd be concerned if SHIELD doesn't have any gems by the end of the season. You've got to have something to build off of.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I have a weird feeling that people's opinions of shows will dramatically differ depending on if they watched it as it aired or binged on it all at once.

For example: I love LOST. However, I watched the whole thing in a month or so. I didn't live through endless debates about where it was going or trying to figure out what related to what when. I just enjoyed the ride and the characters (even if some if it, in retrospect, went no where).

I have a feeling it'll be the same with lots of shows, especially The Walking Dead. I've even heard people mentioning in passing they liked "the Farm season" even though it's probably the low point of the series thus far. However, that may be more due to live viewers having to wait through boring drivel while this person got through most of it in a week.

I know I'd be much less frustrated with this current season if I didn't have to wait through the last hiatus and this season for a mixed bag of a finale that should've occurred last year.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Less Whedon chat, more Muppet chat.

So Farscape is pretty good in a late-90s, low budget scifi way. I'm just starting Season 2 (and started with the wrong episode, thanks NETFLIX) and I was really surprised how Season 1 built to its finale in a satisfying way. Especially considering how the show starts off.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Battlestar Galactica was just a cheap rip off of the awesome Space: Above and Beyond.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
10 episodes is a pretty good size but going up to 12 or 14 wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing (if the creative talent behind it can support those extra stories). However, anything approaching 20 episodes will start to seriously suffer.

And it's not necessarily the show/showrunner's/network's fault. You don't want your major episodes/developments/story arcs/conclusions to happen outside a few choice times (season premiers, sweeps, seasonal breaks, season finales). If you've got another half season of stories to tell outside those times, it's just hard to keep writing compelling narratives.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

What's the gist of Farscape? Netflix has it up and I've heard good things, but know pretty much nothing about those 90s era sci-fis like it, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

All I know is that it's about a human who ends up in deep space with some badass muppets. I guess I'm curious whether there's a running arc or not? Does it get a solid ending or abruptly cancelled? Quality pretty good overall, or does it take awhile to get going? Ya know, that sort of stuff.

I'm watching through it now and someone coined it as a low-budget Mass Effect TV show. Yes, there are badass muppets and everything comes with this really weird alien vibe (because, you know, this guy just got sent to the other corner of the universe and is experiencing a lot of weird alien stuff). The CG is horrendous as is some plots and dialogue but it makes up for it.

The first 6 episodes are kinda rough in that they were all made prior to the show getting picked up. Once you pass those, there's quite a lot of good character development and stories. I was very surprised by how much the characters grew on me.

Please note that Netflix has the episodes in the wrong order so go by this order. I've also discovered the first couple of second season episodes are out of order on Netflix as well so keep an eye out.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I know the real world answer is "licensing disputes", but what's the in-Universe explanation for mutants/The X-Men not existing in the Avengers/SHIELD world? Because in one episode someone says "There's no scientific evidence to support the existence of telepathy" and uh... I seem to recall, from my childhood, that a LOT of mutants in the Marvel universe have telepathy and it wasn't some kind of secret or anything.

edit: Accidental phone double post, blame the Awful App

There probably isn't one but if there was it would probably be "they're all still in the closet"

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

I didn't see anywhere else to put this, so...I don't have cable, only Netflix instant streaming. I just got a Roku and am wondering what the benefits of paying for Hulu Plus would be over what I already have in Netflix Instant as well as Amazon Prime Instant video.

Hulu Plus is great as an internet DVR, if network TV is your thing. You don't have to wait for the shows to appear on Netflix a year or six months later. They typically are up the next day.

But since you've already got Amazon Prime, you may want to cross reference what they already have available vs what Hulu Plus has.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

NBC is badly flailing around at the bottom of the ratings charts, even against ABC, which hasn't had the greatest last few years, but has still produced some shows. NBC has virtually nothing to show.

*When The Voice isn't on. When it is, NBC is #1! :downs:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Is Irish Joe still posting?

There's a little Irish Joe in all of us.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Because heaven forbid Americans having to wait for the next skier to enter the gates. We have to cut them together immediately and not waste time!

Joramun posted:

Figure skaters are literally dancing on knives.

Sorry but if it has to be judged (meaning the score is solely determined by a judge's score, not like hockey refs or rules judges), it's not a sport.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

escape artist posted:

21st century X-Files knockoff is just fine with me.

I'm going to start "In Which We Meet Mr. Jones" when I get back from the doctor, later this afternoon. I've heard that's a pretty pivotal episode.

Please keep posting your reactions. It's amazing to watch people peel through the onion that is Fringe (meant in the best possible way). :allears:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's good if you like historical pieces (and even better if you like naughty pius people). It's a bit of a shame it never got to really finish its story.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's basically a vehicle for Jeremy Irons to chew all the scenery in Rome. Then it starts to shift to allow François Arnaud to chew scenery as well.

I never saw The Tudors so I can't compare.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bown posted:

Honestly, I just finished it and I didn't get the love at all. The jokes are so few and far between. And I don't mean it's unfunny, I mean that they seem to deliberately leave it about five minutes between each joke or funny line of dialogue as if the premise and concept is enough to sustain a comedy movie by itself, which I don't really think it is.

It's one of those 80s movies where it's not so much about the jokes but the situation and the one-liners.

"You're not going to lose the house everybody has three mortgages nowadays"

"No studying!"

There's a reason parts of the closed Ghostbusters thread in CineD would go on with just quotes for, sometimes, pages at a time. It's just chock full of classic lines.

It's also really subtle with some of the jokes like when they capture slimer and come out of the ballroom, Egon has a look on his face like "Peter, what are you talking about?!" as Peter goes into the "we are having a special this week on proton charging and storage of the beast" spiel.

Also, you've gotta appreciate the construction a movie where the climax involves the reveal of a giant malevolent marshmallow man and everyone buys it.

Alright, more TV focused: Ghostbusters also spawned off several animated series which had some seriously messed up (for children's tv) episodes.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Geez. What happened in here? Two pages of analyzing and tearing down Ghostbusters? Why we gotta do stuff like that. Ghostbusters is fun. Why can't we just have fun?

The current derailed discussion in the Comic Book Movie thread in CineD is due to SMG's prodding questions of "what is fun?" Seriously.

I hate the internet sometimes.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I know I'm way late in this but I finally caught Sex House.

:catstare:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Just watched the first 3 episode of The Borgias on Netflix, and it's really good! Does it fall victim to the Showtime Curse eventually? Please say no. Seriously this is just fun and Jeremy Irons is amazing.

Also A Young Doctor's Notebook got added recently and it is a great show with Jon Hamm in it, don't remember it getting much hype around here for some reason.

The Borgias ends after the third season so it doesn't really get drawn out. In fact, the creator had plans to continue if Showtime hadn't cancelled it. Still, a fun historical piece.

From what I'd heard of A Young Doctor's Notebook, Hamm and Radcliffe work well together and have an obvious love of the source material. However, that love was also a major criticism as it adhered too closely to the source material to stand on its own.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There's been no justice since Space: Above and Beyond was cancelled.

The worst show is NCIS.

The best show is phineas and ferb.

I will plead "Just following orders" before the tribunal.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I couldn't get into Veep. I watched the first few episodes and it just didn't stick.

Same with Parks & Rec and The Office. There are bits that I liked but nothing that made me really laugh out loud. I think it's the format.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

It was only recently that McConaghey began to own bones.

Another wrong opinion, brought to you by zoux.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Chamberk posted:

Bad things happen to the Bravermans, but everyone's sort of happy anyway.

Except Ray Romano.

(edit: I'm still like 2 episodes behind but I still expect this Joel/Julia thing to work itself out before the season's done)

I'm also two episodes behind and this plot is just the dumbest thing they've done.

It would've worked more if they didn't paint Joel/Julia as the perfect couple for five or six seasons. But then job-related stress happens and Joel just can't stand Julia doing anything. Like he didn't have enough stress being a mostly stay-at-home-dad for all of their daughter's life. But suddenly he can't handle anything or forgive any tresspasses of Julia's and it's been really disorienting.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
As I understand it, the finale to HIMYM ended up like the ending of Mass Effect 3 (whereby it felt like the ending to a totally unrelated story and poo poo on a ton of characters/setting/story)?

Good finales:
Justice League/Unlimited (both of them, they're both great)
Spartacus
Breaking Bad
Farscape (complicated somewhat due to being truncated into a miniseries/movie timeframe, still good)
DS9
TNG
The West Wing

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I know Ronald D Moore did post-airing podcast commentaries for BSG. In fact, they used those as the official commentary tracks on the DVDs after Season 1 (I think).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

People make good shows for Showtime, then Showtime gets more involved and they start to suck.

This is how Showtime works.

Shameless owns because it never got big enough that Showtime dicked around with it a bunch.

I really hope the whole Dexter finale fiasco gets some executives fired.

It seems like Showtime is right there with HBO in terms of luring creative shows to their network but they're killing their own brand by dragging them out far too long.

And with Homeland going up for a 4th season (and with how its third season went), it looks like it is headed down the same path.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
We now have to suffer through another two decades of NBC crapping all over the Olympics. Or slapping their crap all over it. Or just not letting me stream it live from my preferred device without a cable subscription.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/08/sports/olympics/nbc-extends-olympic-tv-deal-through-2032.html

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Homeland's original sin was being unable to part with Brody in season 1.

It then goes and commits the sin again with season 2. Now you're extending his story into a third seasons and that's farther than it really has any right to. Note that his character/stance/arc does virtually nothing more in season 3 than in season 2.

Actually, I'm not quite so convinced season 1 was spectacular either. It was a great study in acting from the two leads but it didn't pick up at all until "The Weekend" which is halfway through. Sure, there's a lot of will-she-find-out and "who's involved" guessing going on but that first half is all family drama bullshit and plodding setup.

The last half was great with the finale maybe the most tense piece of television put to film ever.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Occupation posted:

I think the family drama bullshit was great in season 1, it was only when they spun Dana off into her own adventures that, one, we all learned Dana's actress actually is not good at all, and two that her entire subplot was stupid bullshit stalling until the very transparently clear "this is how it's gonna tie into the main story" part happens

But yeah part of why season 1 was so wondrous was because it balanced the cia thriller with the mundane family life aspects, implying the show was going to be something more than what it was

Actually, Dana's story in season 1 was pretty great. I thought it was a nice way to get past all the post-POW Brody-PTSD stuff and segue him into more normal situations. There was a lot of touching moments there between Dana and Brody with Dana bringing Brody's humanity back out.

I couldn't stand Jessica's plot which was boring and went nowhere in the show really. And then the show had no idea how to use her for the rest of the series.

Season 1's whole set up was the audience knowing there was a bomb under the proverbial table and waiting on when someone would show up to make it blow up. So yeah, Season 1 does great things to balance the POW story with the CIA/Terrorism plot but that's only as good as the payoff. And the show stepped back from delivering on that payoff at the very last moment and, I would argue, never recovered from that mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Metropolis posted:

My understanding of Nielsen's point of view is that they are totally down for tracking things like timeshifted viewers, etc. but the networks and advertisers want to ignore those numbers for now.

The networks actually do want to track timeshifted viewers because more viewers means more ad dollars. And various studies (1 2) show that about half of viewers don't skip commercials when using the dvr (which is bizarre for us). So more viewers = more money.

It's just the networks differ on the exact method to determine which timeshifted viewer counts as a viewer (should Live+3 days be valid? What about Live+7? Or more? There are pros and cons to each). Also, the ad men still aren't totally on board with timeshifting, despite the growing evidence that a greater share of tv watching is timeshifted.

Nielsen just wants to still be relevant in any way they can be.

Edited in citations.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 14, 2014

• Locked thread