Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

God Marqise Lee is so perfect for the Chiefs but he'll never drop.

The Chiefs should trade up for this guy but guess what we already gave away our second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Grozz Nuy posted:

And now you're 7-0. You're welcome. :colbert:

Anyway, I'm gonna have to try to watch more Florida and TCU because I like the sound of both Purifoy and Verrett for the Niners. I already see a good amount of Oregon and definitely would be excited if we landed Ekpre-Olomu.

That trade wasn't worth it for Alex Smith. But if you pretend that Marcus Cooper was part of the trade it's a steal.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Coldforge posted:

In my mind, it was Alex Smith + Marcus Cooper for two 2s + Glenn Dorsey. Pretty even, I think.

Has Glenn been playing well?

He was never a good fit for out defense. I see he has two sacks this year. That's half his career total in KC.

edit: sorry for the derail.

quote:

On Wednesday, ESPN.com’s Mike Sando wrote a blog theorizing the 49ers could switch from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 defense at some point in the distant future. With all due respect to Sando, the 49ers’ defense already is a 4-3 defense. They just use 3-4 personnel.

First of all, the 49ers use a classic four-man defensive line more than 65 percent of the time, in their sub packages. On base downs, the 49ers use a nose tackle, but that does not mean they use a 3-4. In a 3-4, the nose tackle lines up directly over the center in a zero-technique position, and the ends line up on the outside shoulder of the offensive tackles in a five-technique position – creating three “bubbles” at the line of scrimmage. The 49ers don’t do this.

The 49ers base defense is a 4-3 Under, a variation of a four-man line. The defensive ends are not five-techniques. The ends are reduced, or “eagled down,” over the outside eye of the guards to three-techniques, and the outside linebacker – Aldon Smith – essentially is a stand-up defensive end.

The nose tackle is a one gap player. He lines up between the center and guard in one-technique position. The strong safety usually plays the eighth-man-in-the-box concept, even from depth, just so nobody along the front has to be a two-gap defender.

Glenn Dorsey, the 49ers’ newest defensive tackle, played five-technique for the Chiefs and was not successful, but the 49ers will not ask him to play five-technique. They’re going to ask him to play three-technique or one-technique, classic 4-3 positions, the positions he played in college.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kim Jong Il posted:

His rise is so weird since he wasn't that good in college. Logan Ryan on the other hand, that dude is awesome and should have gone a round higher.

He was a receiver. I think part of it is it just took this long to develop into a corner. He's fast and he has a short memory. If he gets burned he's right back the next play. He has a crazy number of passes defended. Our other corner Sean Smith used to be a receiver too.

The Chiefs secondary has better hands than the receiving corps and that isn't an embellishment.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well that sucks, didn't know that and haven't seen it yet. The more I know.

edit: to stay on topic, the development of Marcus Cooper is huge for the Chiefs because corner would have been #1 on my 1st round wish list.

Now they can draft a wide receiver or a tight end. I'd be delighted if Austin Seferian-Jenkins was available. Even when he wasn't injured Travis Kelce looked to suck all around.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 25, 2013

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't say this often or without exhaustive research...

Kendrick Lewis is a pussy and needs to be replaced like yesterday.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like it's much easier to bust for the Raiders than the Chargers which really elevates Leaf for me. Plus the door isn't really closed on Jamarcus like it is on Leaf. ;)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I really like that pick for KC and not the wide receiver pick. Everyone wants to slot a receiver here but replacing galactic shithouse safety Kendrick Lewis who I blame for the playoff loss is paramount. Calvin Pryor is a heavy tackler almost to a fault and you could not get more different than the flailing vagina that is Lewis. A++ would draft again.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Parmesan Basil posted:

I like Pryor too but there is no chance he goes past Dallas and Philly

Clinton-Dix too. If both are gone Marquis Lee is an okay option.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's almost cute at this point that every mock draft out there has KC taking a receiver. I love when Odell Beckham Jr. is projected to KC, as if he'd fall that far. Maybe people see "LSU" and just plug them into KC's slot. Not that that isn't understandable considering how many LSU guys KC has drafted.

However, KC has had predraft workouts with 9 safeties, 12 cornerbacks, 8 receivers. Only three of those receivers are projected to be first round picks, Marquise Lee, Mike Evans (will be long gone), and Brandin Cooks.

KC is going with a defensive back in the first round I'm thinking.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cooper is a once and future stud.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Coldforge posted:

This. The only reason the 49ers cut him was because they were counting on Chris Culliver and Michael Thomas being future starters.

Then Michael Thomas was swiped off the practice squad and Chris Culliver decided to do criminally stupid things.

What I'm saying is, can we have Cooper back please?

Let's just keep trading players who perform better than they did before, see: Alex Smith, Glen Dorsey, Jon Baldwin, AJ Jenkins....

Okay maybe not the last two.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I still can't believe they hosed up the draft weekend. It was so perfect the way it was.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DupaDupa posted:

:stare:

gently caress it, put Clowney on kick returns.

Yes but kick return coverage. Can you imagine seeing that coming at you full speed on kick returns?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

swickles posted:

Or if Kam didn't launch head first into his head.

What video are you watching?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

They should should swap firsts with the Chiefs and give the Chiefs a second for their trouble. There you go, another 7 draft spots.

That sounds fine except for the fact that he'll be gone by the 23rd pick I think.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Okay can someone tell me one reason the Chiefs shouldn't draft Brandin Cooks? I think he's the only receiver that has a chance to be elite in the second half of the draft.

Strengths:
Explosive play-maker
Very fast
Consistently gets separation
Weapon on third down
Great hands
Intelligent
Stretches the defense
Forces teams to keep a safety deep
Quick release off of the line
Excellent route runner
Tough
Short, but strong
Plug and play; ready to contribute as a slot receiver
High floor
Upside

Weaknesses:
Very short
Short wing span

It's a good thing he won't be playing for the NBA. I hate falling in love with players before the draft and then just getting disappointed when they get drafted elsewhere (Eric Berry being the exception) but man I want this kid the more I read about him.

quote:

Won the Biletnikoff Award as the nation's top receiver in 2013, when he established Pac-12 single-season records with 128 receptions and 1,730 receiving yards, which led the FBS, in 13 starts at flanker; he also had 16 receiving touchdowns.
Also had 61 career rushes for 340 yards (5.6) and two touchdowns. Owns Oregon State record for career touchdown catches (24). Team captain.

Does anybody think this guy won't be successful in the NFL because he's short?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Diodeous posted:

I think it was sportsonearth or footballoutsiders that did a piece on Cook's weaknesses but essentially they focused heavily on the Oregon game where he faced off against Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (who is considered a first round talent for 2015). Cooks really struggled against press coverage and his lack of reach and arm strength showed up with an inability to get good separation. I really felt like the article was more showing how crazy good Ifo is, but the authors really were speculative about whether Cooks could find success against an NFL quality DB

I feel like the Chiefs offense is designed for this not to be a problem at all. IF the comparison with Percy Harvin is accurate I am salivating at the thought. C'mon Philly, take a QB and pass on this guy.

quote:

Positives: Shorter than scouts would like, but has a strong, compact build. Rare straight-line speed. Rare elusiveness. Can make defenders miss in tight quarters. Good vision when running in space. Sets up his blocks well and can cut back against the grain. Good agility as a route-runner. Strong, secure hands for the reception. Courageous going over the middle. Gathers in the pass and quickly moves upfield to maximize production. Can extend outside of his frame to make the spectacular reception. Versatile athlete who can contribute as a receiver, running back and shows great potential as a returner, although he never attempted a kick or punt return at Florida. Has struggled with durability, but is considered a physically tough player.

Negatives: Looks shorter on film than his listed 5-11. Many of his plays in this offense were slip screens designed to get him the ball quickly and in space. Could struggle acclimating to a more pro-style offense. Lack of success at the NFL level from former receivers from Meyer's offense is troubling. Has struggled with durability. Missed practice time in 2008 with ankle, hip pointer and tendonitis in his knee and heel.

Sounds similar.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I love how scouts will talk themselves out of proven guys and talk themselves into unproven guys. Josh Freeman comes to mind. He was nothing special in college but threw a nifty spiral so he's a first rounder for sure.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

HappyHelmet posted:

I seem to remember scouts being pretty down on Freeman actually. I thought everyone was basically saying he was a likely 2nd round candidate, and it was a bit shocking when he got drafted in the 1st. Maybe I am confusing "scouts" with "goons" though.

I can't remember if it was Kiper or Mayock or someone else but some big draft guy went bezerk over Freeman and called him the best QB of that draft. I saw him play at K-State a bunch for one reason or another and I was like...really?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Must feel really good to be an Oklahoma guy like Bradford and read that about Texas Hero Johnny Football.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The rumor about the Chiefs is that they may be targeting CARR.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Parmesan Basil posted:

Well, better than Smith, at least.

Yeah that's what I want, a spread QB that hasn't played in a pro system and buckles under pressure, is inaccurate in the clutch and is related to someone who was the same with expected results. Yeah that's better than Smith who had a career year and looks like he's bound to improve on it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

How exactly is be "bound to improve" on it when Charles is another year older and he just lost 3/5s of his offensive line and playing a much more difficult schedule?

The first half of the year was nothing but dump passes. The offense got opened up towards the end of the year and Alex looked much better at getting the ball down the field. The line is a little disconcerting but not much because I'm really not sure the guys replacing the guys that left aren't just as good and that's because the guys that left weren't that good.

The schedule is going to be harder but I'm pretty sure Smith doesn't play his best football his first year with a new team.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Inside linebacker is four need spots higher than free safety??

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What about Nico Johnson? Are we just throwing that pick away already? Sanders Commings is a corner they're trying to convert. Color me unconvinced.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He's played in six games man.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Parm it's like you're doing a bit where you are typing out all the bad opinions of Chiefs Planet. Saying it was a mistake to draft Fisher #1 when Joeckel was available has to be a comedy opinion right?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Holy poo poo the wait this year has been interminable. Just have the loving draft already.

Somebody says this every year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Abugadu posted:

*TE - With Finley still questionable, we're sitting with Quarless and Bostic, neither of whom scare opposing defenses. Quarless' hands are awful, Bostic's blocking is sub-par. It's unlikely Ebron would drop to us at 21, but 2nd round will likely have Amaro, ASJ and Niklas sitting around, any of which would be an upgrade.

Don't worry about it, ARodge already took care of it. My boy Tarik gonna start learning this "football" thing right away.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/packe...034994-nfl.html

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Benne posted:

Trigger warning Parmesan

"I told you anyone who would listen so"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

First of all if the Chiefs traded Berry I think that would be the final straw for me. Second of all Eric Galko is a noted full of poo poo assclown.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'd be beyond pissed. Like, I think I'd have to finally become a Seahawks fan. For a list of like ten things Seattle's done right* in the past five years that I wanted the Chiefs to do and they've instead wrapped a ball of poo poo in bacon and charged me to eat it.

*Starting with paying their secondary.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I know, I'm just jealous of Seattle because of that defense and Russell. I could never quit the Chiefs, I've been a married battered spouse too long to leave. It's how I know they love me.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Azhais posted:

Don'tmesswithnohorses01

Old password: Don'tmesswithnohorses01
New password: Donfoooowitnohorsesbruh1!
Retype password: Donfoooowitnohorsesbruh1!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Was that the pro day where he wasn't wearing a glove? That could be agent spin but personally I would totally believe that if you usually wore one you would play lovely without one.

But then again I had to wear the same exact socks every game and paint under my eyes the same exact length so I might just be off.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like Teddy but that pass is intercepted in the NFL for sure.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's some bland looking breakfast.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

#insider#continentalbreakfast#thisishowwedo#syrupisforphilistines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

He is also gonna be way better than alex smith, who is a boring garbage QB.

A lot of smoke about the Chiefs taking Aaron Murray. It's interesting that Manziel has an average release time of 3.5 seconds from the pocket while Murray has 2.6.

• Locked thread