Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Rhapsodies also gives you key items that unlock permanent bonuses like xp and skill gain. It also gives you exclusive trusts and starts you on the path of beginning each major story so that you can get a good idea of which ones you are more interested in completing first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

jokes posted:

I see. So is the goon link shell dead or should I get in on that?

E: also how would I find y'all?

I have no idea about a link shell or anything. I'm mostly just playing with my gf who is a long-time vet of the game. I am on Asura server, but my playtime is erratic. :(

For a couple interesting links for Rhapsodies, you can find the progression of missions and when you get rewards here: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Rhapsodies_of_Vanadiel_Missions

If you want just a listing of the key item rewards from RoV and the permanent bonuses they offer, use this link: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Rhapsody_Key_Item

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ibblebibble posted:

I resubbed and am enjoying the game a lot more now that I've hooked a controller up to it. Too bad that it doesn't play nice with Windower, I've found. Finally made it out of Ronfaure at least.

Change the keyboard to compact keyboard 1 and turn off hardware mouse to help with cursor flickering and such. If there are options to unhook the mouse or a /blockmouse equivalent command, use those, too.

I experienced some issues with my mouse cursor annoying me earlier today after I reinstalled the game following a re-format. I use Ashita instead of Windower, though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I just... want a renderer that is supported by modern GPU drivers. No one implements DX8 in their driver software anymore. Have to use something like dgVoodoo 2 to transform most of the calls into a more recent version of Direct X instead of being performed in software and that isn't a great solution. Still can't get a rock solid 60 fps in this game despite a 1070 and 2700x.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Brass posted:

The crabs are the exact same in both games.

So? 3D models are often made in the same programs with the same file formats and some can be somewhat trivial to replace. Look at all the model replacement mods people make where they rip a model out of one game and put it in another.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ibblebibble posted:

Leveling up DNC and I'm starting to see why people like macros considering all the menus I have to click through to get to my sambas and waltzes.

There is also a bunch of gear that will augment job abilities or buff weaponskills, etc. so creating an equipment set for that ja/ws and then creating a macro that switches to that equipment set before using that ja/ws is also really helpful.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tsurupettan posted:

I think I'm going to pick ffxi up again and drag my bf in with me. Great month to start again too since shantotto II is up for grabs. Going to also transfer to Asura since I'm on another dead server and my friends quit.

I've got the big bulk patch files to speed that process up already and I've kind of vaguely got a grasp on what I was doing when I quit, which was working on my Geo weapon casually and the story stuff.

Unfortunately I deleted my old install and windower and all my mods and such and I can't remember if there were any big recommendations to make the game look pretty and for important mods to run. Any suggestions for that? I also want to give my bf the best experience possible with ffxi so he'll hopefully stick around.

Also how's the goon presence at the moment? Would there be people for us to hang out with and harass for advice?

dgvoodoo can give you better framerates when you are using GPU drivers that no longer support DX8 (basically everything from the last 5+ years). It will also let you apply AA and AF since trying to apply them through something like the Nvidia control panel doesn't seem to work and setting the background resolution higher to get a supersampling effect is highly inefficient in this engine.

MountMuzzle mod is cool for letting you hear the zone music instead of mount music.

DrawDistance plugin can be used to increase draw distance.

Increasing mip mapping quality to 6 (the max) improves the looks for minimal performance hit. Has to be done through Windower or Ashita or editing your registry manually.

When using a controller, be sure to use the config that allows for XInput (I think Alternate Setup E?).

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Bahanahab posted:

Not sure on how to get my controller to work. When I go to the setting to change what my controller does, none of the sticks actually send any commands at all. Anyone have anything to help me figure out how to get it to work?

I think you may need XInput turned on. Try opening up the FF XI Config app and changing the gamepad settings there. I believe Alternate Setup E defaults to enabling XInput.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh wow, the new patch changed the appearance of the configuration app entirely.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Male of the Century posted:

Did they actually change the installation and update progress, or did they just pile it all into one installer starting as of the most recent patch but updates moving forward are still through the same old system?

Iirc, all current updates are bundled in the installer. The patcher hasn't changed. New installs just don't have to download a year's worth of patches.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Apparition posted:

lmao how do I vanquish this beast?

Give us more info and maybe we can help? Screenshot are always helpful.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I said come in! posted:

Is there a release date yet for when Final Fantasy XI changes over to a new game launcher / login client?

Not that I'm aware of.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kazy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yb3VB1nJ04

Finally finished this, you can play it now over at itch.io! (works on mobile, too!)

sweet!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Sounds right to me.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I went through Rhapsodies until I got stuck and continued my existing storylines until I was able to get help. Also, completing a story line gives you an XP buff, so there is that to look forward to.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

frodnonnag posted:

So i'm going to the ffxi event at pax east. Anybody got any terrible questions i can try to ask the devs while there?

60+ fps when?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
For gear, you can use those shards you get from RoE at a vendor to buy some decent leveling gear.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Frog Act posted:

Thanks man, I haven’t even heard of a unity but I was in a group with a friend using Yoran Oran and Trion and they were extremely effective, so I’ll look them up and try to get them specifically

Definitely check out this guide as it will help teach you a lot of stuff as well as give you a path for progression: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Quickstart_1-119_Guide

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I said come in! posted:

A couple dumb questions; how do I check what my nation rank is? I am on Rhapsodies of Vanadiel Mission 1-7 now, but can't continue until Rank 3. I have a whole bunch of Crystals, but I don't know where the NPC is in San d'Oria to turn them into. Where is this NPC?

IIRC, it is the same NPC you can get your signet buff from? Only try a single crystal to verify.

If it isn't that NPC, it is one of the other guards within like 30 yards.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Here is the updated site for dgVoodoo2: http://dege.freeweb.hu/

I found it on https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/DgVoodoo_2, so I assume it's reputable.

e: whoops, you found out long ago. oh well

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Look up what a Trust is and collect as many as possible.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

This was much better than I thought it would be.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Badger of Basra posted:

hm I have a folder named xipivot so maybe that's what I did

also: are there any other good trusts from the login campaign besdies shantotto 2? turns out I have 2000 points

Some of the better trusts are locked behind getting a certain number of other trusts, so grab all you can.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

queeb posted:

hell yeah got my rhapsody in white. im also level 22 and havent even started my 2-1 quests for sandoria lol, the exp right now is bonkers. gonna unlock dancer as a subjob, that a decent idea for backup on my thief?

edit: also im broke as hell, whats a good way to make money?

Can confirm that THF/DNC is good. DNC lets you be invisible and silent when going around places and with how quick you generate TP as THF, you can liberally use the dances to help buff damage and survivability when both soloing and grouping, too.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
It's good and much better to play and you have npc party members to help you through most non-endgame content.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
those rule!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Verbose posted:

When does the week reset? And how many sparks can you spend per week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If you are playing the game on Steam Deck or Linux and have been getting a “heartbeat” kind of stutter, the reason appears to have been identified: https://gist.github.com/atom0s/e6ddbb94408baba43e6fed5bee18ea9c?permalink_comment_id=4989027#gistcomment-4989027

Looks like some bad WINE api code introduced in version 6.16.