Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Played Warcraft 3 a ton back in the day, the day being 17~ years ago. I even remember playing a leaked beta copy and it became an instant buy. We usually played 2v2s, highest we ever got was in the mid 30s on ladder sometime after Frozen Throne released. Anyway, life happened, I finished university and moved away and we never played again. Cut to last October when I found out about Reforged, we decided to try and get into it and keep up with a weekly game night. Jumped into the beta a few days ago and...

I really hope that the beta is not representative of the final product, although I don't know how it couldn't be at this point. The servers have terrible lag spikes that create 1-3 second hangs. The graphics badly need some video control sliders because the contrast is way too low on the units while the fog of war is so dark I can't see the map underneath. The controls are occasionally unresponsive, or maybe my keyboard is dying but sometimes I'll click a number to jump to a control group and nothing happens, then I have to mash the button and finally it does. Also I lowered my graphics settings and turned off some effects and my frame rate got worse. Which is funny because I was getting 60 smooth as silk with everything on, but for some reason lowering things makes it drop down to 45.

Trying to get my legs back under me is a tough battle. Micro is hard. Splitting my focus so I remember to be churning out units while clearing a creep or harassing is difficult. One friend wants to play Orc and the other Human so I'll probably be playing NE. The lack of early healing is rough. I'm sure I'll get used to it but overall Reforged has some problems under the hood that are really hurting the overall experience though.

Mokhu posted:

Where do you guys go for build guides?

I found a few on Reddit that give matchup advice, otherwise I just tried to watch some of Grubby's games on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm going to download this and come back in a week. It's hilarious to me that after 15 years of WoW they haven't figured out that on release day they might need to rent out a server farm or something to help with the load.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Anyone playing now want to do a 2v2 comp stomp?

IGN is PaybackJack#3628

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

BlazetheInferno posted:

Edit: Man, I hate feeling like the only person who actually likes the new graphics. I think they look nice. :(

I like the graphics I just wish the contrast on the unit colors was way higher. I was playing a game last night and I could hardly tell the enemy blue from my allies purple. Make the player colors way brighter and contrast more with the units normal coloring.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I saw Jim Sterling and YongYea had videos about this debacle up so it looks like it's making the rounds of YouTuber backlash. After a few days of seemingly positive hype, I saw that PC Gamer turned on it as well with an article decrying the Custom game situation.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Willias posted:

One of the posts that was amusing was that the direction Blizzard gave for the art resources is that the models should look good "if placed on a pedestal" or "would look good in a portfolio".

I'm sorry, but unless you're playing certain custom games, you're very rarely if ever looking at unit models head on. The models needed to look good from top down, and it appears that Blizzard didn't give that guidance, completely forgetting lessons learned 18 years ago.

Who cares what the game looks like when you're actually trying to play it! We need those hot cutscene shots for investors and to look all sexy as banners and screenshots when we're out demoing!

Submitted my refund.The two guys that were going to pick this up and play with me decided it wasn't worth ruining a nostalgic memory with this half baked abortion of a rerelease.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Got my refund. I already had a ticket open due to having issues with trying to login to b.net here in Taiwan due to some stupid thing that Taiwan has where you're forced to link a local account number to your account, even if the account was created in another country. As a foreigner I don't have a local ID number and the U.S., English speaking, tech support people can't even see that information because Battle.net in Taiwan is operated by a whole different company.

Happy to support the cause and make them realize how badly they screwed this up. Hopefully more people put action behind their complaints to get a refund. I'll come back in 6 months and see if things have improved but I'm not holding my breath and this whole thing has put such a bad taste in the mouths of my friends and I that I don't imagine I'll be able to convince them to return even the problems get fixed.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Amnomia posted:

thinkin about investing the money I would have spent purchasing wc3 on aoe2 instead

I used my refund to get Age of Wonders: Planetfalland it's been really scratching that itch. Multiple hero builds, different races with different playstyles, balancing "creeping" and harassment. It's turn based which is great because I found coming back to War3 that my APM is poo poo.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Blizzard looks pretty good stock wise. Going by the stock it would be pretty safe to say that all the controversy surrounding the release of the game caused no effect. Not that it should really. Anyone investing in Blizzard is waiting for that Diablo 4 money to start rolling in. I'd say that's going to be the thing that really makes or breaks the company at this point. Overwatch 2 has a ton of competition, as does Hearthstone now. Diablo and Starcraft are their only big franchises left and I think unless they make a Starcraft non-rts then Starcraft won't be doing much either. WoW is still going along but I think Shadowlands will only bring in so much.

If they gently caress up Diablo 4 then it's probably alright to pronounce them dead, barring them inventing another new title that manages to capture the minds of the youth as Overwatch did for a period.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Also diablo 4 isn't making or breaking the company because activision currently makes an absolute fortune off of candy crush, fifa in game sales, and cod in game sales and some cash from hearthstone, too.

Their reputation will be completely poo poo if they gently caress up D4, though that's just a small step up from 'almost totally poo poo' where it is currently.

I should have been more clear when I said make or break. Blizzard won't ever "die" until Hearthstone and WoW drop to numbers where they won't see large returns from new releases. Creatively D4 is the last hope for the company in terms of creating a good product that doesn't destroy consumer confidence in the studio. And even then Activision won't suffer the hit, Blizzard as a studio will just get stripped down to its bare minimum while Activision itself finds a new company to gobble up and beat to death and beyond.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Grubby's epic mastery of the TC never gets old.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Also "Looking for Baal?" Is like the best VA in the game.

It hit all the emotion that "Ahh fresh meat!" Did in the first game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

drat, I miss Marvel Heroes.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Kith posted:

How was Marvel Heroes, anyways? All I really wanted out of it was "Marvel Ultimate Alliance: Except More" and I had always intended to pick it up at some point, but never got around to it for various life-shaped reasons.

It was a mixed bag but the F2P was really good and I got a lot of people into it based on how easy it was to unlock new characters.

All the characters felt like you were actually playing that character. Guys like Gambit and Cable had dodges, while units like Juggernaut could do invulnerable for a while. Each character had a super move and some of them were just amazing. Dr.Doom for example threw himself a parade where he'd get carted around the area for a while on a throne by doombots while everything exploded around him. Punisher would call his van and drive it around dealing damage. Rogue was my early favorite because you'd literally use a "touch" attack on enemies and rather than having a skill tree of your own, you mostly copied other players/bosses powers. Captain America could throw his shield and have it bounce of 50 minions and while it was bouncing around he'd have brawling skills he could use. Storm would just roam midtown with a lightning storm constantly around her, zapping everything in sight. The voice acting was great. The story was there, but nothing special. The core gameplay loop was pretty fun, but the drop rates on good items were frustratingly low so you'd be running the same stuff over and over for that certain unique item you wanted on all your characters. The character skin system was great, and each guy had a range of cosmetic stuff. First thing that made me spend money on the game was the Steve Rogers Super Soldier outfit, then after that it was like Gambit as Death, God Emperor Doom, everything you could think of was probably there. Each character usually had 2 builds: Doom for example could spec into pets and summon lots of robots to handle everything, or you could go energy damage and just focus on blasting things. Deadpool could focus on guns or melee weapons. So the game had a huge roster of playable characters with a bit of depth on each one.

The bad of the game was that the art was on occasion extremely ugly, although it never looked too bad at range. The content was very repetitive and the major events were very slow to release but they were usually good. There were lots of bugs though, characters weren't balanced the best but they didn't always nerf everything that was overpowered but when a character sucked or was broken it took them a long time to get to fixing it. Kind of the worst situation with F2P games in that everything that could make money was prioritized over fixing/adjusting current content.

Last time I played the game they had just implemented controlled support and it felt really good as the Hulk, but definitely wasn't very smooth as ones that needed to quickly target AOEs. So if you wanted an Ultimate Alliance type feel, it got there closer to the end of the game's life cycle but really it depended who you played.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

How early was it in War3 where Nigh Elves where super broken because glaives like did tons of damage against everything and starfire was the best hero power?

I remember that era, back before the average player knew to have a skill that breaks channeling. I also remember maining the dread lord because nobody knew how to cancel sleep and ghouls were great. I remember hating the gently caress out of Frozen Throne because they made ghouls a lot weaker. I remember blocking a lot with shades too.

The thing I remember from playing the leaked beta on a fake bnet client called warforge was that knights were very good.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 1, 2020

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Banshee insta-cast was crazy stuff because with shades you'd see their whole army and could micro to steal all their units before they even knew the fight was coming so you kind of had units trailing and advancing your main army so that you could get ahead of a wave of banshees rushing you.

AnonSpore posted:

Remember when mass necros that just sat in base and sent endless waves of skeletons at you from the other side of the map was a thing

The best of this was playing 2v2 with a human ally that would turn his guys into militia just for you to have a horde of cannon fodder to turn into skeletons during a big attack. For as much as I have enjoyed watching high level War3 replays, most games are at their best at the casual level when you can do these jank strategies.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Myth: The Fallen Lords

It's funny you mention this because watching high level WC3 games where once a player's army is complete they rarely add more units to it and simply try to keep their units alive and most money gets spend on upgrades and items; it does feel like Myth. I don't know if that was intentionally designed that way based on Myth but the idea of having all your units not just be easily replaceable fodder was one of the reasons I really liked WC3 over Starcraft.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Tubgoat posted:

Especially when it's to bullshit like melee kiting.

How the gently caress did people deal before shops and Salves?

It was definitely worst for orcs but they also had the best late game healing in totems. Early on they basically just harassed with BM and turtled. Make sure your opponent couldn't leave their base unattended, while you picked off their units as they were trying to creep.

NE were the most broken because of moon wells. It was basically suicide to attack a NE without an overwhelming force which you probably wouldn't have since it was almost always 'mass hunts' coming at you.

Undead were pretty good because you could send wounded ghouls back to farm lumber, or cannibalize, or get vampiric aura, or just main the death knight and try to clear merchants so you could get mana potions.

Humans used militia a lot. Someone that mains the paladin is either really good or really bad. Back then exp feeding wasn't as thought about so you'd see a lot of humans use Archmage with water elementals. Similar to orc, human might just turtle up and let the Archmage harass with blizzard.

I played so much during that period even though it was just a year between vanilla and Frozen Throne, in hindsight it feels like way more.

Mata posted:

That mechanic is commonly called unit veterancy, I'm not sure RA2 was the first but its quite common now in more tactically oriented RTS games.

WW2 RTS Company of Heroes had an interesting thing where each of the four factions had a different implementation of it. The Americans had the straight forward, gain exp and the unit levels up getting generally better at everything. The British didn't get exp but you'd buy officers that gave the bonus like an aura with higher level officers granting a higher level bonus. The Wehrmacht didn't gain exp but had purchasable training that would give the bonus to all units of the type. The Panzer Elite was sort of like a combination of the Americans and the Wehrmacht because your individual units gain exp then you'd choose a perk when you leveled up and that perk would apply to all the units of that type from then on.

Most games since then seem to use the "American" style of veterancy but I remember that was a cool thing about that game and for a game that had four factions with basically the same kind of units they did a good job making the factions play and feel differently. Which I found kind of impressive given that with a game like Warcraft you can make units completely different from one another and with a world war 2 game you're looking at the same kinds of units for each faction.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Kith posted:

:goonsay: You're correct that the Panzer Elite had a combination of American and Whermacht styles, but you're wrong in the details about it. Units gained experience and leveled up to three times, choosing an Offensive or Defensive bonus at each level, and those bonuses only applied to that squad.

You might be thinking of the numerous upgrades that could be purchased for the Panzer Grenadiers, which were the PE's only infantry unit and therefore had to be able to scale from being builder units that were okay-ish combatants into late-game powerhouses.

Ah well I was pretty close. I always played as the Americans because using the Howitzer brought back those good GDI Ion Cannon memories. Also blowing up bridges in that game was extremely fun. Wish more games had destructible terrain elements like that. I'm glad that War3 designed it's power around the heroes, and their ultimates never felt like autowins but some very strong skills that could still be played around.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Assuming that players would build the biggest army possible and then be able to use an increased cash flow from lower upkeep as a catch up mechanic sounds exactly like the kind of system you'd design after watching people play Starcraft 1.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Kith posted:

During my first playthrough as a wee lad, I thought he turned evil because "mal" means bad and suddenly this Furion guy was Malfurion so I thought he was suddenly Night Elf Hitler or something - but then he turned out to be kind of a reasonable dude? I was very confused and upset about it.

I had a similar confusion. I assumed because there was a guy named "Mal'Ganis" that "Malfurion" was supposed to be "Mal'Furion" and they had some sort of connected backstory.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Grubby posted a video last week that I just now caught in my feed.

He goes over the promises and expectations of Reforged and discusses where the game is now. He talks a lot about wc3champions but also says he had some contact with Blizzard in terms of game direction and hasn't heard from them in a long time. Game is probably dead internally or the one dude they have trying to fix stuff hasn't gotten a patch out yet.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I think it was Starcraft where someone starts lagging so the game pauses and waits and everyone spams chat to make them drop

Don’t remember if WCIII had that back in the day

I remember doing that in WC3, but I don't remember if it actually worked or not.

It seems that the most obvious thing to do with a D2 rerelease is just to leave the original version the gently caress alone. Mixing the two versions of the game and getting rid of the old is the root of 90% of Reforged issues.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I asked my friend "how are they gonna gently caress up the Diablo 2 remaster" and a minute later...

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1362930246165667840?s=20

Luckily it has the wc3 option to play with the old graphics.

The character model looks so loving bland, jesus.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Countdown to a video of James Stephanie Sterling laugh their rear end off for 10 minutes before ending with "Of course they loving do."

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I'm so old we had to read the manual because the game would ask you questions that you needed to look in the manual to find the answers to.

Classic computer guy dumb logic, the people smart enough to have the technical know-how to copy a floppy somehow aren't also aware of the existence of copy machines.

Props to my avatar's prequel game, space quest 4 (where the quote comes from) which required you to check the box art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

One of my favorite zep strats is using mortar teams to make holes in the enemy tree line behind the main, then assaulting them while protected by trees.