Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Hopefully the game's combat will be totally passable like Nier's and not a complete grindfest like the first two games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

sleeptalker posted:

Play Nier, read Drakengard LP, skim Grimoire Nier, forget about Drakengard 2.
Don't forgot about 2, read Dark Id's LP instead and marvel at how utterly incompetent the writing is to the point where the heroes are such awful and unlikeable characters that the unrepentant child-killing madman is the only sympathetic character.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

PunkBoy posted:

Drakengard 3- "I just assumed he shoved the faerie up his rear end in a top hat."
Drakengard 3- A character wants to bang a black hole.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, thanks for this. The game seems to actually be pretty tongue in cheek with all this, I mean Octa is essentially the old tired anime/JPRG cliche of the creepy old pervert but they just go all the way with it into utter absurdity to the point where he lusts for collapsed stars.

Genocyber posted:

It says a lot about Drakengard that Octa seems like he'll be one of the nicer characters
And the only actually heroic character in the series, 2, is probably going to die a violent and miserable death at the hands of the player. DRAKENGARD!

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 25, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

I think you're being overly optimistic here.
Honestly I think it would be more effective 2 wasn't secretly a psychopath or anything. She's genuinely nice, but in the world of Drakengard that's like painting a big red bulls-eye on your forehead.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 25, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

On a related note, do we know if there's going to be much connection to D2 at some point yet? It seems like the black sheep of the family, so I'm genuinely wondering if they're going to legitimize it at some point, past 'yes, this was part of the series'.
I think its just going to get relegated to an Alternative Universe deal. After all 2 takes place after Drakengard's Ending A while Nier treats E as the canon ending.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Renoistic posted:

Wait a minute! Drakengard 3 takes place before Drakengard 1, right? And Nier takes place on Earth thousands of years after it was exposed to the world of Drakengard through interdimensional trickery, right? And Octa is still reading ancient documents written by authors from Earth!? Which means the world of Drakengard is actually an alternative post-apocalyptic Earth. It's some kind of endless, hopeless cycle of death and despair :psyboom:
Its an endless recursion of grimdark and elder space babies.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nier is totally worth playing yourself but definitely just read Dark Id's LPs for the first two Drakengards so you don't have to deal with the sloggy combat and Ending E of the first game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Gismor shouldn't be even on that list. Dude was a glorious bastard that put Nowe in his place. :colbert:

Verderlet getting such a high lead is hilarious.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Caim and Angelus are the only characters in the first two games that actually care about each other in an honest and non creepy way while everyone else tends to be selfish and dumb assholes that just make everything worse. The two of them are unrepentant psychopaths but the world and its inhabitants are so utterly broken and beyond hope that they seem more heroic and likable in comparison because of that.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 18, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SunAndSpring posted:

Drakengard Ending D 2: Electric Boogaloo.
I'm so ready. :getin:

Square better dub this. I'm going to try going in blind now because it really looks I should.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Four is a complete ticking time bomb of pent-up OCD and self-loathing. She really isn't okay.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The final boss is The Mother Grotesquerie's Rhythm Game Redux, isn't it?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That was the one where it ended up being about aliens, right?
It actually ended up having the personification of the collective subconscious of mankind as the end of the game who sought to remake the world by destroying human individuality and culture. Catacombs sounded rad and even could have rivaled Drakengard in being total bananas, if Square was cool they'd help revive that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Both Angelus and Legna were totally fine with exterminating humanity. Though seeing is this is Drakengard we're talking about, maybe it really isn't that horrible. :haw:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Caim was the real hero of Drakengard 2.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, just read the LPs for Drakengards 1 and 2, but totally play Nier.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Slight? Seere had a huge rear end Messiah Complex, he's one of the major reasons it gets as bad as it does because he selfishly wanted to be the hero so bad.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Vermain posted:

I'm excited for it purely because I want to see another LP of this weird acid trip of a series.
Same. The only game in the series I've actually played is Nier, and Nier is the only game that I say is genuinely great. Drakengard 1 isn't a good game at all gameplay-wise, its the sheer batshit insanity that makes it memorable.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 14, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LibbyM posted:

In Drakengard 1 I really liked how you could get all the different endings at a pretty fast pace once you beat the game. Just go back to labeled branching points and do the different thing. Drakengard 2 straight up made you replay through the entire game for each ending or something didn't it? Is 3 more like the first in terms of accessing endings? This probably affects whether I buy it or not.
It's more like 1.

Brackhar posted:

I only have anecdotal info so far, but one of my co-workers has a wife that absolutely adored Nier, and she hated the Japanese Drakengard 3. I'm not expecting a good game from this.
Drakengard and Nier may be in the same series, but they are really different beasts with very different reasons of why they are good. I can totally see someone enjoying Nier but not liking Drakengard's grimdark insanity. The characters being really likable and sympathetic in Nier while everyone in Drakengard are all horrible people for example.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 14, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nier's a great game, why wouldn't you want to replay it?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Butt Ghost posted:

Nowe is so loving dumb.
It runs in the family.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's a reason why Nier is the only genuinely good game in the series.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Overbite posted:

i hate this game
Yoko Taro feeds off your impotent anger, it sustains him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Aww, but I wanted Kaine to be the MC.

• Locked thread