Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

a good post, now use this as a template for when you post again.

Oh you made a mistake here where you accidentally typed some words, watch out for mistakes like this in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Panzeh posted:

The Soviets were pretty good at shooting and scooting with Katyushas from what I understand.

There's the great story of the katyusah batteries hiding under the river bank of the Volga in Stalingrad, reversing out of cover to launch then back into cover to reload

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

We're talking sabres though, so it's a relatively light blade that'll bonk off the skull. It's probably not actually a move possible with anything that isn't specifically designed to be that light either.

My understanding is that most olympic fencing is all based on the smallsword. Have you done any HEMA? My fencing mask has a huge dent on the forehead from a high speed flick of the wrist. I've talked to people who picked up broken wrists and shattered fingertips over the years.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Also, does public school mean in Ireland what it does in Britain or what it does in America?

Same as America, a state run school.

cyberbug posted:

I grew up in a Lutheran country and I think I was told that the clergy did this because they didn't want anyone being able to even try to challenge their absolute authority as the mediators between man and god (and all the perks that came with it, such as being able to sell indulgences).

If you received an education in Ireland at any point from the early medieval up to the time of the hedge schools then you were at least familiar with Latin so if you wanted to read a bible you probably could. My guess is that there were professionals around who's job was to do the bible stuff so why bother. The clergy in Ireland only really becomes a significant factor after the destruction of the Gaelic noble class in the 17th century, and reach the kind of unchallengeable power we used to associate with them in the 19th century.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
The Ordinance of no quarter to the Irish was basically a formal declaration of a practise that had been pretty common during the Tudor reconquest of Ireland, which was to just hang all captured or surrendering Irish soldiers.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Keldoclock posted:

:shrug: I actually do this, to the face of various puerto ricans, africans, african-americans, and also people who are obviously not black, because it's funny in the right context. But what the gently caress does this have to do with military history?

lol

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, it's kind of :psyduck: when you consider that the entire rest of the art that you are learning up until getting your hands on a weapon is about gentle redirection.

Gentle redirection doesn't work when someone is trying to punch you on the chin/choke you out.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Fangz posted:

Hmm. Or you could argue that Elizabeth didn't have any major land wars going and didn't expect to be getting into one, which means the continual expenditure in terms of training to maintain an archer force didn't make any sense any more. Especially considering how Elizabeth inherited a terrible financial situation.

Except Elizabeth did fight a major land war in Ireland, the 9 years war. Which almost bankrupted England and she didn't live to see the end of.

Speaking of English armies in Ireland, the last time I'm aware of a contingent of longbow armed men being present at an actual battle is at Knockdoe in 1504, but it's not known for sure if they took part in the fighting (Knockdoe appears to be a fight purely between the Gaelic mercenary contingents of both armies). When we get to the 9 years war itself, the English forces in Ireland consisted of 3 main parts: English conscripts, Anglo-Irish levies and Gaelic allies and mercenaries. A large number of the conscripts were press-ganged, since serving in Ireland was basically a death sentence. You can probably imagine that training up a bunch of press-ganged conscripts with muskets and pikes is a lot easier than turning them into effective longbowmen. On the battlefield, some of the Irish "traditional" troops (used by both sides) came equipped with bows, but they were never used for massed archery, bows in Ireland were used at close range, intermixed with the melee guys.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Hazzard posted:

There's a reason George Washington wanted Pike and Longbow armed soldiers and the Duke of Wellington asked for archers to defend his cannons.

There's an even better reason why they didn't get them

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Tomn posted:

By the way, HEY GAL, question - you mentioned a while ago that the dudes of your period didn't tend to do much in the way of official drilling, instead having a system where veterans taught newbies as they went along, right? In that case, what were the drill books for? Who was their target audience, and what did they intend to get out of reading the things?

Officers and nobles

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Did someone say muskets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bys_xINB0Hc

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

there are a shitton of scottish and irish on both sides of that war, and i think that's where all those german/austrian/bohemian/french nobles with Anglo names came from

edit: on a more humble level, every now and then i find a scot or two in a muster roll, or some english, but no irish. no idea why, it may just be random chance, or maybe they didn't want to be employed by Lutherans and i'd find a lot more in the imperial army

they know that pants are a thing, but they're not quite sure how to get there from where they are

Most of the Irish guys tend to get recruited into existing Spanish or French regiments rather than float around as individuals. The great thing about Irish soldiers is you can pay them 12 times less than the French and they'll eat grass if they have to.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
we talkin' dicks in the miliary thread? obligatory:

basically early modern zapp brannigan

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

yeah, where the hell were you? i also found two irish dudes.

I'm too busy for comedy forum. What were their names?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Fangz posted:

The thing I don't get with battleships is this: yes, you have tons and tons of armour on there. But all the rangefinders, fire directors, radars, radios, command centres - essentially everything that makes the ship not a dumb hunk of metal - sits in the unarmoured superstructure. So... What gives? Why don't people try to snipe the superstructure some more?

... thats exactly what they're trying to do?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

JcDent posted:

Also, what's "munition armor"?

Mass produced one size fits all armour. Usually just helmets and cuirasses rather than entire suits

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
ban tank chat from the military history thread tia

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Apparently we get a lot of Germans coming here to improve their English because "Ireland is basically the same, right?" Only to discover that no, tisn't really 'tall 'tall ye gobshite.

I have a Slovenian mate who moved to Scotland to learn English and now she has the biggest Scots accent ever it's the best thing

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Trench_Rat posted:

Lesson learned from Franco-Prussian War be more agressive. Lesson learned from ww1 be less agressive and rely more on heavy defences. Lesson learned from ww2 be more mobile. Seems to me the French were always one war behind

Everyone is one war behind. France was just right next door to their most dangerous enemy every time.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
It's a real shame about RO2 as well

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

and everyone's drunk as hell and on drugs and all the men have those tiny little swords

Smallswords!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cd9ctDsxe0

Not enough circular movement for my liking

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Hazzard posted:

The one that blew up was made almost purely of leather, rather than a proper reproduction. They made three.
US Civil War
Real Leather Cannon
"Irish" Leather Cannon, made almost purely of leather and resin.

I was always confused by where they got the "Irish" leather cannon - it's clearly brought over by a guy who had served in the Swedish army as a mercenary. I guess it makes better television.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Fangz posted:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure I did scribbles like this aged 16 also. Thank god the Internet didn't really exist.

I was thinking the same thing. Unless the guys is an adult, that wouldn't really surprise me though

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Everyone look at this cool picture of pike fencing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

my dad posted:

Thanks to the Nazi and the Allied bombing of Belgrade in WW2, a lot of the most important documents of our history have gone to flames. :(

This also happened in Ireland due to rebellion and civil war

• Locked thread