Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

I am quite short and quite scrawny. I weigh about 130 pounds, depending on whether I've just had a curry or been out in heavy rain. That is mental.

Congratulations, soldier/marine! Here's your belt-fed MG...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm going to guess that it's supposed to be an anus.

the dumb part is, who sues over that poo poo

Those who are being accurately depicted by that sign?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Bailing out of a ballistic missile would be somewhat difficult.

That's what the little rocket on top is for.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
One more fun thing to :catstare: at for the sea-launched V2 - it's liquid-fuelled. Can't transport it fuelled, so you have to bring along your A-stoff and B-stoff and whatever other -stoffs separately, then erect :quagmire:, and finally fuel... while sloshing about in the mid-Atlantic area. Hope you've still got adequate weather forecasting, yo.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Oh good Lord. I have a documentary about the ME-163 Komet, the little egg-shaped rocket plane that could take off and climb virtually straight up to get to the bomber streams, and there is an actual German training film showing how they fueled it.

In this case the two ingredients were called C-stoff and T-Stoff if I recall correctly, and it was a nightmare. C-Stoff truck would pull up and fuel one tank, then the truck driven off and everything carefully hosed off and wiped down before the T-Stoff truck would pull up and fill the other tank. The guys who did this were all wearing something like 1945 Hasmat suits. Getting a drop of one mixed with the other would result in open flame, and things could go from 0 to 10 on the disaster scale real quick if anything went wrong.

The thought of trying to do something similar at sea is horrific.

e: at about 31:00 of this video https://youtu.be/-XeIWojX3nw

Get your stoffs here!

The LOX/ethanol & water isn't quite as exciting to play with, but, per Wikipedia, "the fuel and oxidizer pumps were driven by a steam turbine, and the steam was produced by concentrated hydrogen peroxide with sodium permanganate catalyst."

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 24, 2016

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

xthetenth posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zouave#Zouaves_of_the_American_Civil_War

Oh yes they were.

Also I love how the 5th New York was a bunch of military enthusiasts and actually fought really well.

Dammit, I wandered through that Wikipedia article and this caught my eye:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zouaves_of_Death

Now I can't help but imagine corpse-painted troops with enormous spiked bracers, screaming unintelligibly as they march to battle. :black101:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

I should dig up the old panoramic shot I took of the SAC museum's big hangar, they've got a B-36 in there, snugged in with a B-52, a B-25, and a B-17 plus some other late-WWII/cold war planes. Also Curtis LeMay's desk in case you forgot what those planes were supposed to be carrying.

The B-36 is just looming back there and you don't get a sense of the scale of it until your eyes see the B-17, then the 52, then the wing and fuselage of the 36 behind it all.

Wikipedia only have the one comparison picture, but I have another that's a B-17, B-47 and the Big Stick IIRC. (No access to imagehosts at work. :( )

There's also the aerial shot of a group of B-36s post-tornado. :aaa:

edit: finally fixed my spelling of that one word

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 19, 2016

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Regarding long-rear end French bayonets

Hogge Wild posted:

I really want to see pics of these.

Here y'go. Stumbled across this a few days ago while trawling tumblrs for interesting images.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Here's one I found for mah blog post:

That's ten years of strategic bomber development.

Yay, *that* one I don't have!

Ah, there's the one - I was wrong: B-36, -52, -47.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

Ramming tanks was intentional, but a lot rarer than people assume. I also read a Hero of the Soviet Union award order where a guy destroyed an enemy train by ramming it with his tank which was on fire.

Edit: while tank on tank ramming was rare, ramming smaller things like AT guns in order to preserve ammo was more common.

<insert "drive_me_closer_i_want_to_hit_them_with_my_sword_meme.jpg" here>`

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

I just thought of the best idea for a military science fiction book. In the aftermath of a space battle, a heavily-damaged gigantic space warship drifts slowly back to its homebase, everyone on board endlessly fills out paperwork related to the battle that just happened.

Eric Frank Russell made a good start on that with "Alamagoosa".

Eric Frank Russell posted:

Leafing through it, Burman found an item that said: Vane W. Cassidy, R-Ad. Head Inspector Ships and Stores.

Burman swallowed hard. "Does that mean—?"

"Yes, it does," said McNaught without pleasure. "Back to training-college and all its rigmarole. Paint and soap, spit and polish." He put on an officious expression, adopted a voice to match it. "Captain, you have only seven ninety-nine emergency rations. Your allocation is eight hundred. Nothing in your logbook accounts for the missing one. Where is it? What happened to it? How is it that one of the men's kit lacks an officially issued pair of suspenders? Did you report his loss?"

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

spectralent posted:

And what's the correct term for "the group of tanks whose names all consist of T then a dash then a number", then?

Landsknects

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

FishFood posted:

I want this to be a Masterpiece Mystery series and I want it yesterday.

Wikipedia posted:

The first five books were dramatised for radio by the BBC, one each year, between 2004 and 2009. Anton Lesser played Falco in all five, while Helena was played by Fritha Goodey in The Silver Pigs and, following Goodey's death, Anna Madeley from the second book adaptation onwards. The radio series is produced by Lindsey Davis' friend Mary Cutler.

I kinda like the idea of Falco P.I., where he's living in a guest house at Decimus Camillus Verus's estate, driving a borrowed sporty red chariot, et cetera. Not sure how he'd really pull off the 'stache, however.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Phanatic posted:

The Guardians starts out great! Full scale exchange, a special ops unit has to get the President from the White House to the secret rebuild-the-nuked-US enclave in a small convoy of V-150 Super Commandoes, actually decent writing (by which I mean, a good command of the language, actually decent prose), it's Mad Max meets John Rambo.

Then after the first book it gets totally ridiculous. Eventually there is magic involved, I'm told. Actual magic. But I never made it that far. And I was 12.

The series isn't *totally* ridiculous, at first. It does end up suffering from the bane of most serials, escalation - can't just be "whomping on random raiders/traitors/Euro invaders", it has to jack up to world-altering Heavy poo poo (or, alternately, The Guardians Are Traitors! and they've got to clear their names again). Where it comepletely shits the bed is #14, Death From Above (orbital mind control gently caress everybody lasers have to be stopped, so it's Moonraker time) which is a bit more sloppily written/edited and has a poo poo-ton of SF/comics fandom in-jokes, followed by #15, Snake Eyes (re-entry, followed by cleaning up Space McGuffin which survived, along with Evil Science Dude), where it's *glaringly* obvious that either a new writer or editor jumped in and took the writing from "men's adventure" trash to "are you loving kidding me" liquishits. The series (thankfully) dies with #16, which was so horrid I could only force my way through it once.

And don't forget the Europe-based spinoff The Marauders, which started off absolutely unreadable and, uhm... I never tried to find anything after the first book, which I took back to the used book store as trade-fodder.

(Useless trivia: "Richard Austin" was a pen-name for Victor Milan, writer of many schlocky skiffy/fantasy series. Thus, Albuquerque/southwest US fandom "starring" in #14.)

(I very much suspect a real influence on The Guardians was The Morrow Project, a moderately-popular post-apocalyptic SF RPG with secret caches and Cadillac-Gage armored cars galore.)

(For more fun trash/pulp "literature", you may wish to find Serial Vigilantes of Paperback Fiction: An Encyclopedia from Able Team to Z-Comm which will provide you with a wide pool of shallow, violent reading material to embarrass yourself being seen with.)

For unrelated-to-the-post-but-on-topic content: I've read (and re-read) Anthony Burgess' WWII Airborne nonfiction for years - starting with Curahee!/As Eagles Scremed. What's the general opinion of his work: not so much "bullshit or not" but "how embroidered are they"?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

pthighs posted:

The always awkward Germany/Poland match has just started in Euro 2016.

Is the Russian team going to join in halfway through?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

like the Kalashnikov basically being a left-handed gun

Uhh, you sure about that? If I go lefty with it, it's brass steel in face and charging handle making a nice breeze for your teeth. Selector and the aforementioned charging handle, yeah, they'd be best with your left hand on the grip and right on the controls, but Mikhail Timofeyevich wasn't designing for unclean mutants lefties.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

do you want my dudes to be airborne

do you really

Fighting pike-men
from the sky...

(someone else take over from here, I don't know enough of this pre-Rifle Age stuff)

(Well-dressed men,
something ending with a rhyme for sky?)

HEY GAL posted:

you become useless and bullshit. an 18 foot long spear only works as a weapon when there's more than one dude with one and everyone knows what's going on so you can cover one another and the shot

the way to beat a single pikeman is to take a small step to the side and pull it out of his hands

So, just a jump to the left...

:aaaaa: I must be stopped!

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

MrYenko posted:

RORSAT: Doing it's part to warm up the Canadian frontier.

RORSAT: Glow Canada

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Kemper Boyd posted:

Kinda makes me wonder if the most modern ships that cut down on the crew by automating stuff are actually that much of a good idea.

The way I've heard it was merchies could run around with minimum crew and not a ton of make-work, but fighting ships needed a good supply of expendable crew to make sure there were enough left over for damage control, et cetera. (Also to supply enough "rations" in event of disaster. :unsmigghh:)

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
drat, I knew Switzerland had a bunch of hidden/multipurpose bases and such from John McPhee, but this goes beyond a simple "cave full of airbase":

http://www.messynessychic.com/2015/06/26/fake-chalets-unmasking-the-bunkers-disguised-as-quaint-swiss-villas/

The one just after the rock-wall doorway, I'm not so sure about. Looks awfully warhammy to me - is it supposed to be a (very large) shrub or something? (No image because they've blocked the free hosts at work again.)

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Cyrano also your guy for the logistics of freaky roman sex mixing cursing and historical fact in new and interesting ways.

His TFR posts have been Wordle'd before, and IIRC "gently caress" came out more than "the" (or "Nazi", for that matter).

Ask him about the correlation between Mauser-brand office machinery and both pre- and post-war K-12 education in Germany...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Another good Forgotten Front: the Japanese invasion of the Aleutians and the American counterattack. Short, but could make a good tutorial.

The Forgotten Hope mod for Battlefield 1942 (FH2 for BF2) had an Aleutians map - can't recall if it was supposed to be Attu or Kiska, offhand. I do remember that you could get into P-38 vs. Zero duels and that there were no weather effects, just like vanilla Battlefield. :v:

For the level of grog that [plays the SAM simulators: running the Japanese balloon-bombing campaign using historically-accurate weather data. Perhaps *you* can success in causing forest fires, mass casualties and the disruption of Yankee industry? (Optional: sub-based aircraft forest-arsonry minigame)

• Locked thread