Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I do a video blog of modern naval warfare simulation (focusing only on one game so far) and history located at http://baloogancampaign.com if anyone is interested in that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I used to wonder why slavvic dancing has so many leg kicks. Then hung out with a bunch of really drunk russians. Their dancing is stylized russian drunken antics.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think the conquest of the new world was when Spain really shined and punched above her weight.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
British nobles can smell commoners drinking brandy that is much too good for them from 100 nautical miles. Plus it did mention 20 people survived.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Imagine how stupid he must have felt.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Paint it red and call it the Hellascope.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
How does the USMC's air force compare to china's air force?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've heard that the Chinese are, ahem, small. In the pants.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Edit: This post was retarded. Even for me.
What if all your moms were gay??? would we be having this discussion?

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 22, 2014

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

Canadians get US decorations all the time. A Canadian major I used to work for joked that thanks to being assigned to a USAF base, he had more medals than the Chief of the Defense Staff. :v:

I wonder if there are any two countries closer than Canada/USA.

Edit: Ukraine/Russia :v:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Your battlecruisers are crap compared to this battlecruiser.

The Kirov-class Nuclear Powered Guided Missile Battlecruiser

Twenty 'gently caress you and die' supersonic anti ship missiles; tipped with fission-fusion thermonuclear warheads. 200kt.

The equivalent of twelve SA-10 SAM battalions defend this ship against air attack. Also, if you get through the SA-10s you gotta face SA-15 SAM and SA-8.

Only one remains in active service... I might be jumping the gun to describe this ship as history.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
It was built over some bullshit too. This also isn't going to be its last use in warfare.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
It would suck being colded to death

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think its usually that you would use lights to see the map, and you want to keep that hidden.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Please Mr. Jamaane, please watch it and tell us about it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I cant tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I can't tell what's real anymore.

And now apparently THE NAZIS HAD MECHS AND A MOON BASE oh wait thats just an ad for Wolfenstein. Got confused for a second

I'm not being sarcastic, I just watched part one a bit ago and your commentary added to the experience.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Anyone know how the current Expeditionary Strike Groups are organized into Amphibious squadrons in the united states navy?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
People had big butts back in the day.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I do like these modern covers.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Soldiers of the past can be hilariously bitchy at times

Take a look at GiP.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've got one too. drat, MILSketch looks cool.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Communist Zombie posted:

Neither of these are what im looking for, they both assume you already know what all the symbols mean which is my main issue (and in retrospect should have said out right. Sorry, I just dont want to spend a lot of time preparing for this minor idle fancy).

Ideally I want a program that I can give it unit parameters and have it spit out the right symbol, but something like the two above but told me what each symbol was would be fine as well.

Of course you can read the book. Its only 400 pages. :v:

This is a pro-click for you cold war land combat nerds. Covers quite a few symbols.

Also you could ask us about specific map symbols you are interested in.

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 9, 2014

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Communist Zombie posted:

Skimmed through the file and I think I got a reasonable handle on them, so expect some icons by me in the coming days. But I do have a few questions:
Are there any hard rules for adding modifiers to a unit? Other than it being a contradiction or impossible, like a half track sonar bouy or pack animal fighter.

Why does MILITARY INTELLIGENCE AERIAL EXPLOITATION (1.X.3.1.2.2.1) use the drone symbol as part of it?

Its close, not exactly the same though.

Communist Zombie posted:

Is there a way to denote meteorological conditions created by man? Since weather is a real thing militaries have been working on, not to mention conditions caused by events similar to lighting oil fields aflame.

No clue here.

Communist Zombie posted:

Unless I missed it there isnt a way to note that a unit (potentially) has NBC capabilities. (I thought the proper term now was CBRN(e) [chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive]

Table III Symbol Modifier Field Definitions might shed some light on it. I'm not sure if there is a specific modifier for NBC capabilities.

Communist Zombie posted:

While I can understand the need for many of the symbols, the reason for a graffiti one eludes me.

Also I'm amused theres an official symbol for where extortion is happening.

Heheh, I have no idea for the actual use of the graffiti symbol, might be used as a landmark.

No clue about extortion.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The thing that actually gets me about BluOrd in WWII is how they could possibly do any worse on the Mk14 if they were literal nazi/japan infiltrators trying to hurt the war effort.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
My dad's stories about being in the army mostly involve getting promoted for having shiny shoes.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
One thing to note about IR is that it isn't like visible light. Visible light comes from the sun, bounces off you, and then goes into the camera. IR is emitted by you, then goes into the camera. Results in some counter intuitive results because we are all accustomed to thinking about 'the light from the sun' as the source of all light.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
http://baloogancampaign.com/2015/04/01/name-german-unit/
This is a neat article that comsubpac (one of my buddies online) was kind enough to write for my site. Its about a bit of Germany post-war history focusing on how the German military designates units.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Depends on the nation. As the US has one class of cruiser and one class (really ~3 classes) of destroyer the distinction between cruiser and destroyer boils down to the distinction between those two classes.

And the Ticonderoga class was originally designated as a destroyer and it was changed to cruiser after the ruskies started calling things they were building cruisers and we didn't want a cruiser gap.

In this era the distinction is political in my opinion.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Their opinions about women's lib were also somewhat problematic.

Also they were pretty anti-semitic.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The no leeching rule was from when SA actually had web traffic.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Wordpress.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Hmm, is there a good book about that?

Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway

Fantastic book.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yes

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-8zQC-9Iok

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

Did Allies have scuba divers chart the potential beaches in Japan like they did in Normandy?

I think the group that did this evolved into the modern day SEAL.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

despise you posted:

Its taken a year of bedtime browsing... but I finished the thread.

Welcome to the Present.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

:colbert:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
indians

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAfHigPsC_s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
OF course the japanese weren't racist at all. such a shame such good calm people who wouldn't hurt a fry had to get attacked out of the blue by the USA.

• Locked thread