Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
books are so pro-literacy it makes me sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
look at the fire coming out of this fagot's rear end.

http://gfycat.com/PointlessFatalIlladopsis

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

pre:
You!
I wanna take you to a gay bar,
I wanna take you to a gay bar,
I wanna take you to a gay bar, gay bar, gay bar.

Let's start a war, start a nuclear war,
At the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar.
Wow! (Shout out loud)
At the gay bar.

Now tell me do ya, a do ya have any money?
I wanna spend all your money,
At the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The last time a club was used in combat was today.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

SquadronROE posted:

How is recon handled at sea? You can't really have small scout boats in blue water navies.

Thats a pretty open ended question.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
In the future will we mix up continents and planets.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Never Forget!
*jedi mind trick*
luke skywalker did alderaan
laser beams can't blast planets
darth trump 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
pedantic fagots in the mil history thread? why I never

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Danish means a nice pastry with a jam center and icing. Doesn't inspire fear though.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Page 688 and no one mentions the most successful attack nuclear sub design in history. A shameful thread.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Keldoclock

Shut the gently caress up, Keldoclock

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Shut the gently caress up Keldoclock.

Shut the gently caress up Keldoclock. Seriously.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Devlan Mud posted:

gently caress off Keldoclock.

Seriously, just gently caress off and take your meds.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a book about early (Jan-May) 1942 in the dutch east asia area.

Read Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941-1942
Reading The Conquering Tide: War in the Pacific Islands, 1942-1944
But want something more about ABDA and such.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Molentik posted:

'Bloody Shambles' 1 and 2 are pretty good books, although they pretty much only focus on the air campaign during that time.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

There's a lot of books you could read about this. For a start I'd read Rising Sun, Falling Skies. Then there's The Fleet the Gods Forgot, Bloody Shambles, They Fought With What They Had, and Every Day a Nightmare.

Danann posted:

Playing for Time: War on an Asiatic Fleet Destroyer is the memoir of an American officer aboard the USS Stewart (DD-224) while it was serving the US Asiatic Fleet. He offers an American viewpoint of the Java Sea campaign and does cover more then just him and his boat. The book goes over the fates of the other ships of the Asiatic fleet and does have some detail on the other ships of ABDA. It also contains some :smith: tier stories ranging from futile last stands, incompetence leading to heavy loss of life (let's drop depth charges in the midst of all these survivors to possibly damage a submarine!), and fate punching men in the dick.

In The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour the author mentions a number of times the deadly enema depth charges can give survivors, apparently the only thing to do to protect yourself is to get your rear end out of the drink when they go off.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'll take a look at every book mentioned.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Kafouille posted:

That article is the equivalent of someone doing a status report on the US Army by reading GIP.

Dear comrade, as instructed by the intelligence section of the People's Army I have begun a careful surveillance of the Goons in Platoons forum.

I will remain lurking until I learn the methods they use to achieve their remarkable record of inebriation.

For such an efficient unit, the behavior in posting is extremely haphazard and undisciplined.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I wish I could read a book on military history written 500 years into the future. I bet future schoolchildren will be looking down on today's tactics like we do on fighting in line.

"lolz they used computer networks to communicate information and thought that stealth aircraft is the shiznit; what total noobs"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ArchangeI posted:

And here I was just thinking "Man, this thread got so much better since keldoclock stopped posting"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

shallowj posted:

I've often wondered how El Nino affects submarine warfare in the Pacific. I've seen it mentioned vaguely that submarines can "hide" below the thermocline, because of its effects on the speed of sound. Wonder if the flattening of the thermocline that accompanies El Nino changes anything for strategic positioning. Does El Nino affect the SOFAR channel as well? And yeah I know no one can give real answers on this stuff but its interesting to speculate.

Pellisworth posted:

I don't know too much about sub warfare (hence why I asked) but I'm gonna guess "not much." El Nino is going to affect the seasonal thermocline (surface mixed layer depth) which is really shallow, like 50m max. The SOFAR channel, especially at low latitudes, is way deeper in the permanent thermocline (500-1000m ballpark).

The SOFAR channel is much shallower at high latitudes, so that might be a different story.

I do sonar data analysis for a living, and my gut accumulated experience agrees that it's not much of an effect. It is an interesting question and I've asked one of my contacts who used to be a STS on a LA sub in the north atlantic who now does consulting on towed array sonars.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Slavic women are pretty warlike.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
"No F-22 parts, tooling or related items are being stored for the purpose of preserving the option of restarting F-22 production," Jennifer Cassidy, an Air Force spokeswoman, said in an email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Ubiquitous surveillance to the point that being off the grid is itself an identifying characteristic that allows tracking for the nefarious purposes of... selling us poo poo. Each of us assigned a number at birth. We participate gladly, and shame those who don't.

Yeah, basically cyberpunk dystopia :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zH9Zca1vRM

• Locked thread