Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Ruggington posted:

woolie and this spear have created a brand new level of snail

it appears that putting 80 levels into endurance and none into the stats that determine damage, may have some unfortunate side effects, such as not doing damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

hell be fine no matter what going the giant armor man route

page 900 :black101:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

all of those are cool except for chaos bed

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

even if you dont think the ds1 bosses are cool mechanically (they are!!) they are still cool in terms of concept/scenario.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Seshoho Cian posted:

I just think it's cruel to say "everything involving [person] was bad" or "[thing] was good despite [person] being involved", regardless of whether they're listening or not

its true though

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Who I don't have any empathy for are the people who have somehow forgotten how intentionally obtuse and surprising the game is, and react to every mistake like Woolie or Pat are stupid and berate them, instead of acknowledging the very basic and famous fact that the game makes considered effort to hide things, and would be complex even if it didn't, and so mistakes are inevitable and meant to be part of the fun.

this is woolie's fifth souls game

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Andrast posted:

Pat being consistently wrong about stuff is really funny and he should keep doing it. Especially in DS1 since it's his favorite souls game.

ya

if people are complaining about them not being right about scaling or other pointless minutiae then thats dumb but i like when someone else on yt laughs at woolie being afraid to press the attack button

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

as always, find whatever looks best and upgrade that to max

also more blighttown yes :shopkeeper:

lmfao 1:45

oh my god the way he tries to deal with the blowdart guy is insane

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 1, 2017

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Imagine being such an abrasive loser with such lovely ideas and opinions that you were fired from Game Grumps. The warm gruel of let's plays.

You're only a fraction of the way to understanding how dumb and lovely a person JonTron is

he wasnt fired. he left because he got wind that arin was going to join ISIS

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqkCV-ZRZGM

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

woolie has ultimate anime battle with fly at 21:50

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

thats not really a fuckup. she drops something good.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

DumbparameciuM posted:

My bet is on Woolie "using" a firekeepers soul and getting 5 humanity instead of getting +1 estus. No shame in it, I have accidentally done it in DaS1 before. Does feel pretty lovely though.

:classiclol:

this is probably what it is

that or he feeds frampt the partizan

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 4, 2017

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

HoboTech posted:

In regards to summoning:

I beat every goddamn boss on my own the first time. There. It's done. Never doing that bullshit again.

Now? You're drat right Solaire is coming with me to fight O&S, and Tarkus is tanking that golem while I cheer from the sidelines.

I'll never understand the "BUT IT'S CHEATING" mentality when it's a mechanic that's built-in and fundamental to the goddamn game (and sometimes even required if you want to see more of the plot). Summoning is fine, magic is fine, now go do your SL1 Deprived run and leave the rest of us the hell alone.

Too much coffee, sorry.

people say it's cheating because it is just that, a built-in cheat code, much like infinite hp or w/e

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

its pretty weird to complain about a fanbase out of nowhere over and over.

and speaking of complaining, i cant believe they spent three episodes outside quelaag's door and now are running in the opposite direction.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

YF-23 posted:

No, it's not. People just love to overstate how difficult Souls games are. Ignoring a game mechanic so that you feel like you did it on your own!! is fine, it's great, but it's more like deliberately challenging yourself than it is ~the real difficulty~ of the game. You could've ignored any other mechanic to make the game challenging to yourself, like drinking Estus, and it would've been just as valid.

it has nothing to do with the perceived difficulty of the series, which is another weird thing, but separate. you still have to actually do things and not get caught in the drinking animation even if you have 20 estus and can make 40 mistakes. whether this is difficult or not doesn't matter because the player has to do things. theres a really big difference between that and another human being beating the game for you. people can do whatever they want, as the video game police do not exist and will not exist until 2024, but summoning allows you to beat the game without actually doing anything, and if tahts not a cheat code as they are spiritually defined in single player games, then nothing is.

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 8, 2017

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ds3 is actually the most egregious example of all man. its not a caricature or an exaggeration. this is the reality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbR7MYGPR6c&t=44s

i never said anyones fun was invalid (??) and in fact said the opposite, it's really rude to form ripostes to assertions that were never made, almost as rude as not bowing. dont want to dredge up an 80 year old video game flamewar. just saying its functionally identical to cheat codes of old. only difference is that you dont have to input an 823 button press sequence

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 8, 2017

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

When you compare using a feature of the game to using infinite HP cheats, I see that as invalidating someone else's victory over a boss, and therefore, their fun at doing so. You're effectively telling someone they didn't really beat the boss because they cheated, and that's a lovely thing to do in my book.

Now, I thought you meant using the summoning system AT ALL equates to this, but it seems like you're talking about if someone maximally abused it for every boss. I can see your point I guess if that specifically is what you're talking about, but that's not what you said, and there's a huge middle ground between never using summons and summoning 3 boys to the yard for every boss. I'd wager the majority of players only use summons when they feel stuck or just to have fun with another person, after that are the people that never use summons, and a tiny fraction of a percent of players actually beat the game like you're describing.

if you derive some sensation of fun over your artificial intelligence killcount and not the act of playing the game then I guess? i summoned for things sometimes and i had fun and dont think im invalidating the experience.

the vid linked is the maximum power case scenario, but no, im not talking bout just that. most people i saw in dks3 was rolling with at least two summons. it was pretty common. in practice all it takes is one to completely break the souls enemies AI though. and with two people total you can just walk up to almost any enemy in the series and delete them before they can do anything. but my point was that a mechanic that allows a player to do nothing and win, even if they have to rely on a white phantom who is mlg (the one percent!!), is just like 'skip to credits' code.

quote:

Re summoning: FROM put in summoning for bosses for a reason. They could have made it so that you could only do co-op in NG+ or whatever, but they put it in all way from the start because it's a game feature. It's not cheating. Stop pissing on people for not enjoying games in your prefered "pure" manner or whatever reason you want to dredge up.

im not really sure why this inspires such emotional fervor in people

i hope woolie stops using the partizan because despite it attacking faster, a lot of the time he only ever attacks with it once and then backs away. the halberd would be good but it would also be nice if he could get a giant club.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Andrast posted:

I want people to keep using summons in souls games because helping people beat bosses is great fun.

I personally like to beat bosses by myself but the summoning mechanic is there for a reason for the people who don't. Summoning is pretty much the easy difficulty setting implemented in a really entertaining way.

it also leads to things you wouldnt otherwise see. i helped my cousin with micolash and he went bonkers and clipped into the ceiling. we had to throw a bunch of poo poo at him in order to get him into the next phase of the fight

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

want spider brast funny video man :black101:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the pale lady doesnt care at all if you kill eingyigniy
killing her lets you power up estus so it's generally good. you also have to attack her more than once so it cant really happen accidentally.
i still am betting on him eating the fire keeper soul

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

frampt is awake now so he might just feed him the invincibility shield

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

he's so bad

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

hardcore anime fans have been saying "haha...anime is SO bad...am i right guys??" for a decade because they still have an innate fear of being shoved into a locker for their heretical beliefs (wait...no!!! i just like cowboy bebop!! spare me x_x)

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sigurd is the best lord, specially if you like the hot blooded types :v:

Yeah he's the man. Every1 else sucks except Hector

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

They are still affected by the prepare to die marketing mindhack

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

How is it a slog? You just wait for him to slam his arm down and you hit it until he dies.

uh

Rodyle posted:

I'm sort of annoyed that Pat didn't tell Woolie not to bone out when he could have just told him to wait and watch. Now when they go see Ceaseless again they'll have to do a bit of hanky panky to get the scripting working again.

dont blame pat for woolies weird coward disease

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

he is going to die to every single trap

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it is good that he is not telling him where things are.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

pat is telling him about all the other paths he missed anyway so rest assured he will get karate chopped by the chest

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

There was a man on this podcast for several years whose sole defining trait was his love of garbage anime.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Usually when you're making fun of something you don't make your posts entirely indistinguishable from that thing.

reread the post you quoted

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the mimic fight is incredible

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

<_<;

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the build he's trying to run would be significantly worse in the last game he played

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

I just mean visually. But after Snailborne, I don't know if we should be complaining about the boys pumping a damage stat over Vit/End.

we should not, since he has 25 endurance (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!!!!!!!!!))

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

its a horse, GUts

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Phantasium posted:

The Lola bunny thing? That's stupid but hardly that cringey.

yeah who gives a poo poo. rabbit was hot af

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I like the Super Best Friends, lol.

they are OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i would probably throw myself off a cliff after the third round of the same guy who does nothing, too.

it was funnier when woolie got really mad at him in anor londo, because it looked like he was actually going to be...a malicious invader, and tried to use black crystal on him