Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Agree with Pat, if there was some way they could shoehorn a Jurassic Park world into Kingdom Hearts 3, I'd be all over that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Really wish Metal Warriors carts weren't so damned expensive.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I can't check right now, what's it going for? Might finally be time to unload mine.

A mediocre looking cart only copy can cost you $200. A complete copy is like $600 at least because it was a Blockbuster exclusive.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

This may have been the happiest I've seen them.

Not that I blame them, of course.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

So, like is Godzilla going to sit in a corner, not fight king Gidora at all while whining and crying throughout the film and then jerk off over an unconscious mothra?

It just means the last 20 minutes of the movie are going to be stock footage from other Godzillas.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I thought SMTxFE was supposed to be a literal crossover of the two franchises. I mean, the first teaser video showed characters like Demifiend and Chrom and all right?

The first "teaser" was just stock character artwork from both series because they announced it before anyone at either company actually knew what it was going to be (it was announced way earlier than it should have been).

I took it to be like Phoenix Wright X Layton, where I remember reading the creators of both of those series only learned about the game's existence when the public did.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The term is dumb and vague anyway and is just a buzzword bad indies use to get press these days and which occasionally gets used on a good game (Axiom Verge and Ori are really fuckin' good).

I can see it's usefulness as a banner term for games of both types but I don't think Liam's definition really helps for categorization purposes because then you've got obvious Metroid games and then Metroidvanias anyway. You may as well give Castlevania it's due and call a game like it a Castlevania-like or some such nonsense. He's not wrong, though, I just wish there was a name for them that didn't sound so damned stupid.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The tombstone itself will be a pachinko machine.

And it will be the most elaborate loving thing imaginable.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Charles Martel posted:

I royally hosed up something, didn't I?

You've actually hosed up very little. Keep going after the first boss you're struggling against and look around after your victory.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FauxGateau posted:

I believe higher-ups at Konami wanted to appeal to a younger audience so they changed the artstyle in the ds games. As you can see didn't really work.

More akin to Kojima was busy with Curse of Darkness and IGA wanted to appeal to the kids. I distinctly remember an anecdote from IGA saying that he asked a kid on a train what he thought about Castlevania and the kid said the games were too scary or something to that effect

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://www.squattypotty.com/

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's official, you no longer have to call it the "Japanese Games Industry" you can just call it Platinum. May as well since they make everything over there now.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't necessarily think they were even ragging on JC3 itself, but rather that it took up like 20 minutes of the conference, especially considering the other things SE had to show off.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They're not done with fisticuffs until they fulfill the dreams of that one guy in the comments who always asks for Naruto.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I am the Klonoa fanbase, come to poo poo on Pat.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I googled Klonoa and it looks like some kind of furry deviantart bullshit another universe's CWC came up with??

I will end you and everything you stand for.

Nah, they're fun little uncomplicated platformers where you grab enemies and use them to do double jumps which it uses for puzzle stuff. There's also a beach volleyball game for some reason.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The only thing I don't like about seeing a game like that LP'd, is that by the time I was able to make a decision on whether or not I wanted to play it, half the mystery is gone and playing it would be easier and less interesting, but that's more on me than the LP or the game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

HGH posted:

Yeah I... I've been avoiding Astro Boy after that awful second episode. No offence but I think this needed a nonblind player.

They actually stopped after they did that part and found out Woolie's controller was broken, and came back to the game after being told a bunch of stuff by people online (including the invincibility frames on the dash), so the third episode is far, FAR less scrubby.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

All the talk about how people don't want the reboot LP has me curious in a more general way, what LP would you like to see the most on the channel?

More old, short JRPGs. Not that I won't watch anything they do.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I always saw the ending DLC as "oh gently caress we were planning for a sequel but the game tanked, get the plot out there so people can play it while we have the chance!" Like the ending to the main game comes across as a sequel hook more than anything.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Beef Chief posted:

Nah, the actual disc of the game is full so they had to put it as DLC.

Did this come across in an interview or something? Or did people just figure that out naturally by looking at the game's size? I'd love to read it if it's the former.

I actually tried looking for a ton of interviews before that post of mine because I could have sworn "sequel hook" was the reason but couldn't find anything on it and assumed I made it up at some point.

That said I bought the game on release and never felt that I had been shortchanged for the experience, so I didn't really care that they gave me more cool fights for the ~$7 or however much it was.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

To be fair, all a character has to tell him is "go right" to stall the playthrough.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I liked Liam's pronunciation of "Lattices" the best.

Also hope that Stand poo poo gets animated, everything about that discussion was the best.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I love how Matt was completely upfront about Namco giving him a copy of the game, and yet this is somehow a reason to drat him.

As I recall this is hardly the first game they've been given by a publisher, either. I think it was Revengeance that they were going to get a review copy of (that actually got to them too late to be helpful)?

*This post brought to by the Xbox One, the All-In-One Entertainment Console

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I just hope matt doesn't look at the astro boy viewer count and go "Well no more side scrollers/Treasure games I guess!"

I don't think Matt is Capcom.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Who gives a poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zach provides the best commentary.:3:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

"Just another example of something getting canceled because they announced it beforehand."

Liam's loving dark snipes, holy poo poo....

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm dying.

An enemy Stand?!?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Plus he specifically said he wasn't even contacted for the role at all, he learned about it when everyone else did.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They could actually probably have a fun go at those awful Ubisoft openworld Naruto games on the 360.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

TheRealestMatt posted:

As I kinda alluded to above, but I think I edited the reply before you saw, the website barely makes any money, I wouldn't even consider it a 3rd revenue stream.

Called the "balls-on-revenue-stream", if you will.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Do you think making the podcast just a monthly thing is an achievable goal, or do you think too many people would throw a shitfit?

That way you could have better thoughts on your "weeks" (not having to mention some weekly show that went to poo poo after two episodes, as an example), not having to mention nothing game news or news that resolves itself right after you report on it, preselected questions from a month's worth of questions, etc.

Or hell, just give it a hardline time limit of 2 hours or less or something, I dunno.

I think you could easily replace the whole drat thing with more "nothing" playthroughs like Starfox, though, where you just shoot the poo poo the whole time because the game is dumb as hell.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I Love Annie May posted:

Did the fanbase behave like this in other occasions or is this the first time?

Pretty much any time some big popular LP goes on at the same time, it just seems to be at it's worst now since they've also got Until Dawn and MGSV going simultaneously.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Baal posted:

It's pretty astounding that Liam managed to lead such a reviled LP because he wanted people to like this series.

Road to hell, paved with good intentions, etc.

To be fair, seeing the first video got me to care about the fact that I hadn't actually bought either of the first two games and only relied on the SA LPs, and now I've got both games. So it *kinda* worked. Now when I finish both of those I got a lovely game LP to watch 'cuz I ain't touching that poo poo.

Also the English voice acting for both games is pretty fantastic so that will make it even funnier when I listen to them poo poo on the VO they didn't listen to.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Now when I finish both of those I got a lovely game LP to watch 'cuz I ain't touching that poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

goldblums eyes posted:

I got into persona from the podcast (never heard of it before), bought 4g then got spoiled instantly by this thread because it's a 9yo game and people think it's hilarious to spoil

Honestly you would have gotten spoiled sooner or later, that they put Adachi in for DLC stuff kind of forces it on you.

Doesn't help that I follow Atlus' twitter and was finally getting in the middle of a playthrough for it when that happened.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wow I had heard it was bad but Jesus Christ.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

So I don't have to Google that, what is criminal girls

A lovely RPG where you take prisoners from hell which happen to be prepubescent anime girls on quests and oh, they don't follow the orders you give so you have to "punish" them in dicey cutscenes.

Liam thought it was ok. Okay enough to complete instead of flushing down a toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean, you can also play a Pokemon game using Nuzlocke rules to make it as boring as possible thanks to grinding but it's not like anybody is crazy enough to do that.