Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I really enjoyed the mental image of these 4 dudes sprawled out together on a blanket in the park talking about video games for an hour (under the infamously harsh Canadian sun). The podcast really lives up to its name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Woolie realizing live on the podcast that he fell for an internet April Fool's joke about Netflix was the best thing.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I really, really enjoy hearing Pat and Liam say "Zaubers".

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yesterday a coworker pointed out I've been saying "super" a lot lately. I am noticing it now from their youtube commenters too, haha.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Depths posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDvgHkUCCtA

That triple triad LP was pretty good
Probably won't mean very much to anyone that hasn't played FF8 but oh my god this here is a work of art :allears:

I love that it's just the two of them driving around in an extremely shady rear end looking truck.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Man, lately it's like Liam purposefully just quietly waits until there's a topic the other 3 agree on just to righteously take the opposite stance and then whine about why they're all wrong.

I've only noticed it real bad in the last couple podcasts but drat it's annoying when people do that.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Or have a little confidence and just like what you like instead of qualifying your own interests to a bunch of worthless strangers on the internet.

That's something I find charming about this podcast/youtube channel, the boys are basically all "gently caress you, I like these things".

Edit: which is something I actually dig about Liam. I said earlier I find him kind of annoying in the podcast when he's being super contrarian because it comes across to me so calculated and disingenuous. But as far as him being a big ol anime fan, it's whatever. He likes what he likes, knows its shortcomings and isn't ashamed of it and I can actually respect that. It's hard to explain.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 20, 2014

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Wow, saw 72 new posts and thought there had to be a new derail/dumb argument but turns out it was just one of the boys registering an account here and chatting with us.

Welcome and congrats on the hype, thread!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hey bud just thought you'd like to know, really bad posts made without capitalization or punctuation does not turn said really bad posts into jokes- they still remain really bad posts.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I like watching them play games like No More Heroes if only so I can listen to them all go YEEEAAAAHHHHH whenever something stupid/awesome/stupid and awesome happens.
Their Metal Gear Rising playthrough is full of those hype moments. I used to think Super Best Friends was just another dumb, run of the mill no-effort youtube LP brand and then I watched the first video of the Rising LP (thanks to Retsutalk for the recommendation) and the part that turned me was about halfway through the video when Sundowner cuts a cyborg's head off with his huge scissor-blades and Pat immediately goes "What the gently caress is this. That is the dumbest, most impractical weapon ever, I hope I get it." That's when I learned.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Matt if you guys actually do an LP of Peace Walker it needs to be co-op.

Have they every done a non-local coop game before? No local coop for PW could be an issue for them if they haven't done it before (but drat I hope they try).

Also, PW is very, very grindy which could work against their style...

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Oh my god, but the thought of Matt trying to move on to the next map and gettin super fuckin mad that he can't cause Pat is wasting time obsessing over tranqing/fultoning every single man, though...

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rodyle posted:

Sure but why would you read traditional reviews for that? What you want for info on the game is straight up chunks of gameplay footage.

This is why I adore GameTrailers' reviews so much. Their score at the end is meaningless but 90% of their videos are gameplay and in perfect bite sized chunks that I won't get bored of if I want just a taste of what a game is like.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lurks With Wolves posted:

You know what would be nice? If people stopped saying that every article about social issues in nerd hobbies is just clickbait. Maybe that way people will be original when they're being casually dismissive of major flaws in geek culture.

Your horrible hyperbole aside, maybe some people who hop online to read crap about video games aren't at the same time interested in reading about social stuff? Or at all? Doesn't make them bad people, it makes them people that are not interested in that stuff/don't like being preached at about politics every where they go.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

roach cum puddle posted:

THIS IS ALL SO DUMB

Why can't we just talk as a fangroup of people who are fans of the same niche thing about how we can give money to the thing that brings us joy besides just paying for their merchandise.

I honestly want someone to answer (and not in a lovely Youtube Sarcastic Way) why this idea of premium membership is so terrible.

I don't have nearly enough time to consume all the boys' content they put out each week and it's very obvious they do a fuckload of work behind the scenes with all the plates they're spinning at a time and as a result their output RPMs are pretty much in the red most of the time to keep to their schedule. Remember why they cancelled the mailbag? You sound entitled as gently caress.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I will say the yelling/loudness of the podcasts was annoying & jarring at first because I was a lame virgin pussy who understood nothing. Then I got used to it, podcast owns and I am now a man.

I'm most interested in what Pat has to say the most cause we share the most opinions out of the zaibatsu so he can yell over everyone all he wants :smug:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Commissar Ken posted:

Just be your dumb dorky selves and we'll keep watching. Have a good time and do absolutely 0 loving work.

I just want to piggy back onto this point because I really think it's a great post and an important point. What I find most charming about the super best friends is how the boys are 100% real in all of their videos- there is absolutely no pandering, no irony, no disingenuous bullshit whatsoever and it's refreshing now that we live in an age where everyone is on eggshells to not offend someone and have to apologize later.

I made a point a month or two ago that even though I'm no big fan of Anime I'm really sick and tired of most people on this forum and elsewhere going out of their way to point out how much they hate all anime if it's ever mentioned to the point where it's just white noise to me now. I respect the gently caress out of Liam that he doesn't buy into that given the cultural fad and continues to like what he likes. Just like what you loving like! I respect people that don't give a gently caress and don't bother breaking their backs qualifying/apologizing for poo poo that they enjoy :)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

AXE COP posted:

Liam still sucks tho
I've posted my critical thoughts on Liam before but I'm definitely going to be more reserved about it going forward as it'll feel super dirty and awkward trash talking a dude as his irl friend posts in our thread, haha.

I have hope for Liam, though. As he grows older eventually the bitter taste of the world will crush and twist the life out of his being until all that's left of him is Pat.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Do they beat the game in this video? I haven't finished W101 yet and I know the ending is super crazy.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yessssssssssssss!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yeah but it gets corrected at some point (I just watched it for the first time the other day).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My favorite moments are where Pat is legitimately really excited and happy about something. That said, my other favorite moments are where Pat is real fuckin pissed off.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Commissar Ken posted:

getting upset about Sonic

These are my favorite words in the English language and I cannot think of any context where it will not be funny. Are you talking about the latest podcast cause I'm a bit behind.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

When I don't like one of their ongoing series I just don't watch it and if I need SBFZ I either wait for something else to be uploaded that's more to my tastes or rewatch something they already did- I just rewatched their Revengeance playthrough and man I just never get tired of seeing people react to that game. Pat is having such a blast all throughout and I love his enthusiastic "OoooOOo!" whenever he gets a new item or weapon :allears:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Well first off I think they've outright said so before. Secondly Pat instantly knows the locations of all the health upgrades, always knows exactly what to do, and their reactions don't sound the way they did in the early episodes or later DLC ones, and they also pay less attention to the game because they've already seen it before. There's one point in the chapter where you escape from Denver where Pat's listening to a codec call after the first fight, and the instant it ends he does a complete 180 and immediately runs to the hidden health pick-up.

Yeah I noticed they clearly offscreened the game's playthrough as well. The most telling instance by far was when they're about to do the the refights against Monsoon and Mistral and right before going into through the door, Pat stops and equips the electromagnetic or whatever grenade. An item he literally never used once ever and is only really good against Monsoon.

found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEbXafeTKiw&t=959s

Still a great playthrough, hypest splash screen art ever and I can't blame the boys for not wanting to look like scrubs playing a PlatinumGames release in front of the internet :shobon:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 24, 2014

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TheRealestMatt posted:

EDIT: For MGR...yeah, we COULDN'T resist, and basically both beat the game before we had finished the LP video series. To be honest, I think it's one of our weakest LPs, and taught us how we should never both have beaten a game if we are to do an LP of it.

I was always wondering why there was almost no MGR in the 2013 highlight real, now I get it. Were the Jetstream Sam / Blade Wolf DLCs fresh though? That Woolie "Combination Complete" moment is one of the best ever.

Also, you live up to your username :patriot:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Somebody sell me on Deadly Premonition. I watched what felt like an eternity and there was still no gameplay. What's the draw?

edit: while I'm at it, sell me on Yakuza as well.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

FatSamurai posted:

Then again, I thought Revengeance was a terrible game, so.

Wish you had began the post with this rather than ending with it with this so I could have stopped there :smug:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

FatSamurai posted:

I felt like I was constantly fighting the camera, doing a Zandatsu felt cool but being able to dice up scenery props was basically useless. Ninja Run felt like it was underused and came off less as a slick move and more like a dumb gimmick. Flynn did okay when he was Raiden but then he tried to be Snake and that was just awkward.

What even was the point of Ripper Mode? Give me a Devil Trigger any day because it's more useful.

The last fight against Nanosenator was dumb, I spent four hours trying to manually Zandatsu those chunks of scenery he throws at you but oops, you missed your confusing angle by .00001 degrees, goodbye 1/3 health! The one time being a cool sword guy was really useful and they take away your auto-slice. Terrible.

The bosses were visually interesting but seemed more like arbitrary obstacles than characters. I didn't feel like I knew or cared about them any more than the Ray you fight in the beginning. Tell me everything you learned about Vulcan Raven in MGS1 then tell me what you learned about Sundowner in his game.

Nothing clicked with me and the last boss was stupid. Bad game 2013.

DarkSydePhil? Sounds like the game chewed you up and spit you out, unworthy of its greatness. The game expects of you to gently caress poo poo up with your badass cyborg ninja skills. Also, failing Armstrong's sword slice doesn't do 1/3 of your health, it kills you. Were you playing on easy? :cripes:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think I physically mouthed "of course" at his girlfriend's haircut when she showed up :tipshat:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

this was a very embarrassing post and i'm glad no one read it

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 24, 2015

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Every loving time I watch that awesome intro to Friday Night Fisticuffs and see the clip where Woolie catches the stick sitting on the couch, then cutting to another shot of Woolie walking from behind I think about that loving question they were asked on the podcast that took that Simpsons "magic xylophone" joke about the Second Woolie and I start giggling. Every single time.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nope. They're really not.

After watching the LP and looking up some stuff online I did genuinely respect how much work they put into the multiple endings and slight/major changes in the game that were put in if main characters are killed off during the main playthrough/Ethan failing some of the tests. That definitely was a shitload of extra work they didn't have to do and could have sidestepped competely if they added a giant GAME OVER screen at every wrong turn. Much, much respect for Heavy Rain for pulling that off, even if their execution there could have been better (hide in the fridge? really?). Everything else about it sucked.

Beyond Two Souls tried none of this, no choices/consequences mattered and it was all a weird, pretentious mess. gently caress Beyond Two Souls. Best part of that LP was the boys' zero hesitation at the suicide attempt off the parking garage :hehe:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

One thing I really like about Cage games is attention to detail in the art assets. All the homes, exterior and especially interior shots look amazingly realistic. I also really enjoyed all the many different outfits and hairstyles they had for Ellen Page and Dafoe throughout the game. I love that poo poo and wish more games had your character change costume. That was also the only thing I liked about The Force Unleashed :shobon:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sometimes I wish the boys would just slow down and take it in a little bit more, tho maybe it's just Pat that annoys me with all the rushing. Makes it feel like playing the game is just a mindless job than a hobby he enjoys.

The Bayonetta 2 video was annoying at times because of this. Tho I wouldn't be surprised if I'm in the extreme minority here and previously fans have bitched about not getting maxxx progress in every video update.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rodyle posted:

These posts are the road to the Giant Bomb thread.

What does this mean? I don't follow that podcast, thread or stream.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Oh. I've said it before but I love SBF Pat, he's my favorite. I just get kind of stressed out for him when I feel like he feels he has to rush real hard all the time (Barkley Gaiden felt like this at times, too. Not that they should have stopped and read all the text but man relax, dawg).

Edit: this is the internet so let me make it clear I'm not talking about the whole channel, everyone in it or declaring war on Canada because of video games, just a few select playthroughs where I went "pat, bro, relax"

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 6, 2014

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I thought I carefully worded my thoughts enough to avoid the bullshit reactionary hyperbolic post but I guess I was wrong! That's the internet for you :cheers:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What playthrough is this legendary axe throw mishap from? I want to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Thank you captain planet.