Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TheRealestMatt posted:

Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Lost World
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic 2006

This is a pretty legit list, only I'd edge Generations on top only because the PC port is so drat good (ran perfect 60fps for me on my system I built in early 2012). Unleashed dropped below 2006 for me only because of the Werehog levels being 35-40+ minutes long and the atrocious sun/moon coin gating bullshit that made the game 2x as longer and frustrating than it should have been. If you remove that and only focus on the daytime stuff I'd rank it right below Colors. And wow you seem to be the only other person on earth besides me who thinks Heroes gets too much poo poo than it deserves compared to other 3d sanic games.

While we're on this topic, lmbo at SEGA passing on publishing Bayonetta 2 (cut to that graphic with all the 10/10 scores) and Sonic Boom being such a bomb they didn't even send review copies :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have never heard anyone but the zaibatsu use the phrase so it makes sense that we would use it here in this thread since everyone would know exactly what you were talking about. I guess I'm super elitist about it because I wouldn't call the platinumgames/devil may cry stuff button mashers since it implies, to me at least, that there is very little or no depth to its combat.

I'd call God of War / Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, etc button mashers for that reason, but Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, etc require so much more out of the player as far as timing and other mechanics unique to them that button masher doesn't really describe it well enough.

Also Korra loving sucked.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Maybe the thing that might set the devil may cry/playinumgames stuff apart from ButtonBashers is the fact that the former all explicitly rank you at the end of missions, shaming/encouraging you to improve your weak rear end poo poo.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

At least he's not as bad as that other weirdo we had in here a few months ago legit asking Matt if Pat was a drug addict :wtc:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I love the stuff with the SBF crew just being goofballs. I mean duh no poo poo I love the videogame stuff too but I think stuff like that is what sets SBF and Giant Bomb and a very very small amount of other sources out to me from being just 'yea they're decent videogame folks' to 'I want to support these people because they're genuinely funny people who happen to focus on video games'.

Same reason I'm always excited for the 25 second podcast videos :allears:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Two of my favorite games of all time are Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner and METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE and they are some of the shortest games I've ever played. For me it's always been about how solid those hours are, and I get really pissed off as soon as a game feels like it's completely out of ideas and padding itself out (I don't think I've ever been more angry at a game than at Sonic Unleashed when I realized how its level gating worked).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Congrats to whoever asked the boys to play some classic games from 20 years ago :unsmith:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Did they do that on purpose knowing Woolie can't raise his arms above his head to remove the coins? Pretty hosed up :smith:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I can see myself being alone here but I really like how much of the Def Jam NY videos have been just about customizing R*GE and his lore.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

I cannot fathom how anybody can even begin to think that Bitcoins is a good idea unless they're black market salesmen.

Or 20 years old.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

For some reason it was removed from the NA release

E: It's the 3DS Chibi Robo btw

Please NSFW tag this.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hey Matt, could someone add links to your website/twitter/twitch/etc from your youtube channel "about" page? Right now it just points to merch.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

wtf are punch lasers

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Thanks, pal :) I was laughing the entire time I read this all because of how many times I've heard Punch Lasers today from binging some recent SBF videos I haven't had time for the last month.

Al-Saqr posted:

oooow that was pretty goddamn amazing. I HAVE to hunt down that song woolie used for both wonderful 101 and MGR.
Here they are (spoilered in case someone else gets here and doesn't want the hypest fuckin moments of Woolie's video spoiled):

Wonderball 101 - Tables Turnover (Quad City DJs vs Platinum Star Games feat. Fort Minor)

Rules of Nature (kazoo/guitar parody)

And god damnit, The Wonderful 101 is so loving good. Last month I finally completed the game and legitimately unlocked Wonder-Bayonetta (which is from completing all the chieves in the game), 80ish hours put into that game and the part in Woolie's video where they show Laambo's death with the audio from the Pat/Woolie section of the July TW101 video put the biggest grin on my face as though it was the first time I saw it.

edit: omfg what's name of the song in Matt's video during KI section around the 33:10 mark? I don't have a 'bone but I will buy this soundtrack just from those 30 seconds in that video, gently caress :stare:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 23, 2014

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Radio Paranoia posted:

That's TJ Combo's new theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v8_lHwq2C8

Sadly it's not on the officially released soundtrack (which is still good but only has season one themes on it), but the guy who's Youtube channel I posted has some pretty sick mixes of the new/unreleased themes.
I really hope they package the full KI OST once all is said and done.

Thank you!! Good loving grief I'm about to get an xbone and KI just for this soundtrack :dance:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

From this hype build up I'm going to predict that Liam just went ahead and commissioned GAINAX to animate his entire top 10 of 2013 video.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just bought a Vita pretty much entirely because of the Top 10 videos and the SBF Playstation Experience video :negative:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I love how everyone is dressed in the xmas podcast video :tipshat:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Tae posted:

Zaibatsu hates kid characters, that's like the one thing you can count on.

The Zaibatsu has nothing on SA's hatred of kid characters. There's a 100+ page TW101 thread in LP and pretty much every other post is an entire paragraph of nonsense about why Luka (6) is an unredeemable blemish on society.

edit: hey pal when I was watching Liam's vid and he got to Fire Emblem I went "hey that looks like that dude's avatar, the one where the man has a golden Mass Relay for a head!" :hfive:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lmfao 1 minute in Matt trying as hard as he can not to laugh at the line about IN THE DATABASE

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also I don't know why everyone shits on 4. The story and the levels are lame, but the mechanics are spectacular. Dante is a joy to play once you get comfortable style switching.

The second half of DMC4, while awesome because of the big thing that happens gameplay-wise, is lazy as gently caress in execution and I don't fault anyone for having a BIG problem with that.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Genetic Toaster posted:

As well as showing the Harrier Boss Fight in trailers with Snake instead of Raiden in a location that only shows up in the intro cinematic. Kojima rules. :allears:

The best thing about that whole ordeal is it was pulled off absolutely flawlessly- NO ONE knew about that game's secret before it came out. This was back in 2000/2001 though and I don't think any developer with that big a name could pull something off like that these days with how quickly (and frequently) leaks gain traction.

As far as big names with lots of money go, I think only Valve could possibly have a chance at something like that because of how insulated they are, but I don't see anyone else trolling the world that hard ever again.

I still remember getting mgs2 for xmas when I was 15, opening its manual and being really confused at the pages dedicated to explaining the swordfighting mechanics :frogbon:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Are any of the best friends into AGDQ?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

gently caress.

I hope more people than us old farts in this thread watch this poo poo and they can maintain decent views on these retro titles.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I said it in here a few months ago but one thing I hope in the SMRPG playthrough (I haven't watched the first vid yet) that doesn't continue from the Barkley Gaiden run was pat just flying- flying through the text on screen. Not that I expect him to stop and read out loud everything but it kind of proxy stressed me out like Pat flew threw everything thinking he had this urgent warning to keep it moving or something especially since Pat had never seen the game before and I felt he probably missed out on a bunch of the charm of the writing.

I can't watch the vid yet so I'm sure it's answered in the vid but have either Pat & Liam not played SMRPG before? I prob would mind less if they rushed through it if they were both super familiar with it going in.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh wow super Mario RPG! This well last well over 70 episodes. Good choice of game though!

Super Mario RPG is a very short RPG by RPG standards. It'll definitely have fewer updates than The Evil Within as long as they don't get too lost.

edit: FWIW AGDQ had a Mario RPG run the other night and it was under 3 hours, and that's just from really optimized routing and mastery of items/combat, not particularly any gigantic content skips.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

How long did it take for the Best of 2013 video to go up last year?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Depths posted:

Matt Plays No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise (Part 1) yoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Holy moley I thought this post from yesterday was the poster requesting Matt do a solo LP of NMH, then today I check my YouTube stream and drat girl.

2015 off to a crazy strong start.

Anyway, something about the art style in the ps3 version bugs the poo poo out of me- like it's too gritty or the graphics are too sharp/realistic for my liking...I think I prefer the Wii graphics/shittier processing power way more than what we have. I can't say that I've ever felt this way about a rerease with a graphical update ever before, either.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Woolie and Pat could stand to lose a few pounds as well, but I'm not going to like them less for staying the way they are.

What a strange, strange thing to say :psyduck:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Even if you are some sort of monster that doesn't give a gently caress about Mario RPG you need to be reading the video description for every update.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My fav thing about what I've seen in the sh2 playthrough so far is Pat bringing up how much Konami hosed up the HD rerelease.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Both Woolie and Pat were on episodes of the Retsucast

Tbh those episodes are the only reason I got into SBF and gave them a chance beyond just assuming they were just your standard idiot, yell-y YouTube LPers.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Hey Matt, would it be possible to ask Liam if he'd like a whole bunch of Touhou music, I've been putting out collections of "the good poo poo" from this one megatorrent of nearly 27,000 Touhou remix MP3s that's been around for a while, and I think it was him(or was it Woolie?) who said that he really likes the music?

Basically I've cherrypicked a bit over 2,600 MP3s out of about 12,000 files so far(going to be releasing the 25th bundle of MP3s soon) and if he'd like, I can give you a link to'em for him. I think I remember he said he doesn't use twitter much, or else I'd link it there.

A sampler of the sorts of things included:

Desire
Boku No Konote Kimi No Sonote
For Lovers, Not Fighters
彩音 ~xi-on~ - 霊知の太陽信仰 ~ Nuclear Fusion
Emotional Skyscraper - World's End
Touhou Disco - Nuclear Fusion

You may want to try Twitter. Looking at Liam's feed, his tweets are 95% him responding to stuff people tell him.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Andrast posted:

Come to Finland, we give people their personal space.

Here is a Finnish bus stop:

As someone who takes a train to work every day, that creeps me out. Like someone would freak the hell out if I wanted to stand 2 feet closer to where the bus shows up.

Also what would this thread's recommendation be for a SBF first time video or series for a friend who's not really into LPs? (As in, not antagonistic towards LPs but doesn't even really know much about LPs.)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Good god, this SMRPG playthrough is ROUGH :ughh::ughh:

This must be what it feels like to be a dark souls fan.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Reading your posts you reek of desperately wanting to let everyone know how "in" you are with this nonsense issue no one's ever heard and apparently all I should know or care about it is your moral indignation. I don't give a gently caress. Stop trying to censor my SBF, thanks.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Can't say that I've got enough cred in the anime dating sim community to have a well reasoned, nuanced opinion about HuniePop-Gate 2015 like some posters but I also support a machinima vid, SBF spoilercast and merch.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I was sitting in awe with my hands on my face throughout that entire Pipe Vault update :gonk:

Also, I was positive you were all just loving with me about the crouch thing in SMRPG but I guess that game is just full of secrets because holy poo poo it exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzvrH-gsGBM&t=213s

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

floor is lava posted:

What the gently caress. You can duck slide? Maybe I'm the idiot.

To be fair, it's unintuitive as it gets- hold "down" while moving up-right on an isometric plane, which never comes up again.

The run stuff is so hilariously obvious tho and I think even the intro to the game (that they watched half of) shows Mario zipping around at full speed jumping on stuff so idk, but that's definitely some DSP level poo poo we saw in the pipe vault lol

I do feel kinda bad for Pat and Liam only cause that's one of those fuckups your close friends will (justifiably) never let you live down :frogbon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Liam's biggest problem is he suffers from being 21 or 22 years old (he said he likes bitcoins for example). He does occasionally have a really good line now and then, usually when he's being incredibly mean about something. Tho I always like it when super nice people very suddenly become uncharacteristically vicious for a brief moment :getin: