Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
So I just finished Pillars of Eternity and am really enjoying that everyone says this is the game that inspired that game. What are the differences? Is it pretty much the same? Baldurs Gate 2 Enhanced Edition is what I was going to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm very familiar with AD&D. I have actually played D&D with Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax. Not at the same time : (. No I am not joking. Dave Arneson was kind of sexist and Gygax was just odd. Just wondering like for comparison does it have more involvement or less involvement.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Just picked up Baldur's Gate 2 EE and Baldur's Gate EE on Gog for 15 bucks total. What mods do I install? I am unclear if they're for the Enhanced Edition or not.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

If it's your first playthrough the BG2 Tweak Pack should be all you need, maybe More Style for Mages if you want to give wizards some way to contribute when they're low on spells.

Okay, the BG2 Tweak Pack it is. Shouldn't I though start with Baldur's Gate 1, loaded up 2 and it was like " Welp , hope you know who these characters are"

So gonna go with Baldur's Gate 1.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It won't break my game though will it?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

BG2 Tweak Pack works with any Enhanced Edition game, including Icewind Dale. Did you install Siege of Dragonspear (this is important, it adds another step to installing mods!)?

No I haven't I was going to play BG1 and BG2 first , plus it looks like it's really buggy right now so I'll wait.

What's a good not overpowered but not underpowered class that I'm going to really enjoy? I am not particular to mages or clerics.

Is ranger poo poo?

I remember trying Baldur's Gate many years ago but this will be the very first play through of either game.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 9, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Enjoying the game so far. Very similar to Pillar's of Eternity.

Question though:

My character died and now I've got all these enchantments like Invulnerability etc..

Is this normal?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh , how do I turn it off ?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Jesus, is there a beginner guide somewhere on quests to avoid like the loving plague. "Please go kill some spiders in my house" :stare:

I only have 4 members in my party right now. I've succeeded in a few quests so far. Not very far into the game but I just walked into a Inn and some guy killed the whole party WELP

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I'm going to assume the 3 NPCs you have are Imoen Jaheira and Khalid. What class is your PC?

Female Fighter/Thief Dwarf because it seemed fun. Yeah those are my party members.

Is there anyway to make this game a windowed game?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Thanks now I just have to figure out why even though it's set for non permanent death everyone stays permanently dead. I'm in Chapter 2 right now, and now have Minsc and I guess I'll let this guy Rassad join.

It's a fun game, although I can't figure out why backstab doesn't seem to work on flank.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh I see. Thanks. Guess that makes sense? That's disappointing regarding thieves.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

insanityv2 posted:

FOLLOWING ONLY APPLIES TO ICEWIND DALE IGNORE ME I AM DUMB

1) With non permanent death off (aka the default), when someone dies you can usually ressurrect them at a temple. However, if someone is dropped to -10 hp or less (for example if they are at 2 health and someone hits them for 12) they will explode into meat chunks. When this happens you cannot rez them they are gone from the game permenently.

When you turn non-permanent death on, you prevent them from becoming meat chunks. Their deaths are non-permanent in that they are reversible.

2) do you have 3E style sneak attack on? AFAIK, having sneak attack on disables backstabs.

To clarify:

sneak attackk - you do extra damage (+Xd6 depending on theif level) when meleeing someone who is attacking someone else.
There is no need to be invisible. Pretty good for beginners.

backstab - when you are invisible and behind someone, you get a multiplier (x2-x5 depending on theif lvl) to your first hit. It rarely comes into play once combat as begun (unless you are getting a mage to cast Invis on you or popping invis potions). Its typically for sneaking into a room and one shotting the mage before the fight begins.

Let's you trivialize some tough encounters with some planning and careful play which can be satisfying in and of itself but requires some foreknowlege to fully capitalize on.

If the toggle for sneak attack is on, backstabs are not possible. So it's one or the other depending on how you wanna use ur theives.

Where do I find the toggle for sneak attack?

I just have the base Baldur's Gate EE

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm regretting my decision to pick Fighter/Thief. It's very boring. Also I didn't realize Minsc would just loving leave so I ended up having to put the game on Easy mode and then go rescue his lady.

I think I am in chapter 3?

Game's fun but seriously it's very piecemeal on what to actually do with regards to quests.

Fun though.

Very relaxing.

This is the regular Baldur's Gate EE. No mods, but I still haven't quite figured out how to install them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

Fighter/Thieves aren't all that early on, but once their backstab multiplier goes up, they had the chance to possibly raise stealth a little and you're generally past the point where everyone is missing constantly they become reliable backstabbers.

If backstabbing doesn't particularly excite you, though, yeah, not much else to see there.

Yeah I honestly got confused and thought that sneak attack was in the game. It's just backstab which is kind of tough but I figure with two thieves I can do some damage. I think I am going to end up Dual Classing Immoen to Mage/Thief

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Figured out how to install the mod pack from Gibberlings and am now very happy so far with the game. That whole stackable thing is great.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This is fun so far, but I have the dumbest question. How the hell do you dual class? Like I see the button ,but nothing there. I wanted to dual class Khaelid to be a cleric.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kavak posted:

Only humans of certain classes may Dual-Class, and they need high attributes for it.

Ah he's a half elf so I guess he multi class ,but guess you can't do that in the game? Or you have to start something else?

Also, for a game about Baldur's Gate... takes a while to get there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait, you can talk to party members some how and romance them? Is that in the game because I have yet to ever have a dialogue tree with any of the party members.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Took peoples advice stripped Khalid naked and fed him to some bears. Then recruited Brenwin a cleric , Yay!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

ineptmule posted:

You've taken your first step into a larger world.

At least you didn't get Jaheira herself to murder him.

I'm going to stick with Jaheira, but Minsc mage friend is terrible, no charm! Ugh what's a good wizard companion. I'm playing. Chaotic Good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What level should I dual immoen? She is 5th right now , also where do NPCs go when you tell them no

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What mod is that called

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I kind of wanted her dual mage as invisibility is awesome. I am assuming backstab works on sleeping enemies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

ineptmule posted:

While on the topic of Mages - have you found the Ring of Wizardry? It's an absurdly good mage's ring that is hidden outside the South walls of the Friendly Arm Inn, in the ground by a tree, kind of in the middle of the map. The lootable area on the ground is tiny, so it's tricky to find the first time.

There's another secret like this in Nashkel, where you get a suit of Ankheg Plate Mail which is seriously baller early on. This one is hidden by a small tree at the west side of the large field in the southwestern area of the map.

Cool, yeah now that Khaelid is dead as soon as I find another druid she is getting the boot. Ankheg plate mail is something I had a question about. I gave the Ankeh to the another but no platemail.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, I just gotta get that proficiency in Scimitars/etc.. cause I wanna be able to ditch that Quarterstaff +1 I have. Found the Ankmerh Armour, + Turned one in so I'm probably going buy one for Bren so she'll basically be in plate.

I just don't like the mage I have now and need to get rid of her through death so Minsc will stay.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I screwed up a proficiency is there a good mod to fix this?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

e X posted:

Use eekeeper. It's a save editor with a pretty easy interfaces that let's you edit your characters.

Thanks a bunch now I can get rid of some lovely proficiencies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay, How do I get to Urlags Beard. I'm I'm chapter 5

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

Travel north from the bridge map.

Thanks cannot find this place at all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Jesus loving Christ how do you get to Urlags or whatever Beard. I go north of bridge and it's Gullykin then I can get to Durlags tower but no Urlags. gently caress

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay now a incredibly dumb question. How do you actually dual wield. Like in game, what do you do to make them dual wield.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I'm still in Chapter 4 , apparently I can't go to Baldurs Gate :(. However now that the party has leveled up some the game has become incredibly fun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Can you only have one Ankheg? Armour? I got one in a field gave it to my druid. However, I gave it to the smith in Beregos or whatever its called ,but it's been waaaaaaay past 10 days. Actually he just gave me 500 gold or something.

What armour should I get Minsc? I got him in Full Plate right now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Anyone familiar with the gibberling mod know where the mod puts the ammo pack?

I got so many loving magic arrows.

Finally got the Ank armor but now don't know who I should give it to.

Minsc - +1 platemail

My character - shadow armour

Brenwin - +2 mail of the dead

Jaheira - ank armor

Immoen - nothing

Daheira - nothing

Minsc is a loving beast. Boots of Speed, Spider Bane, and potions of speed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Indeed Branwen , Indeed

Games really fun now. Was very boring at the beginning. Now it's a lot of fun and I am tearing through enemies, the fights are definitely tough but not crazy.

It helps that Minsc has a two handed sword and boots of speed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Go to Durlag's Tower for the +3 Two Handed :unsmigghh:

Spider Bane is worth it for Freedom of Movement.

Holy poo poo , I did not realize that they put like almost all of the DnD spells in the game. That's rather impressive.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hey so how do I make it into the Merchants Guild. I got the Reclusive Scholar quest ,but nothing on the door works. Also it looks like i killed a quest giver, some guy whose brother I killed in a forest. Not sure how he knew that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You don't kill that guy in the forest

Well to late now. That's been like forever ago.

Rahzmataz posted:

So i've just made it to Baldur's Gate, where should I be heading to gear up? I've got plenty of gold, and i've already been to Sorcerous Sundries. Are there any other must visit shops?

I'm wondering this myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Mysterious Island more like Island of Inbreeding. Obviously these people are going to try and kill me.