Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Yeah, rounds* would be simultaneous. After 6 seconds, actors would be allowed to act again instead of standing there doing nothing like idiots. Except for moving, that's always allowed and continuous. It's how you cheese BG1 with mass archers.

*A turn is 10 rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I'd just use the QoL auto pauses. Enemy spotted, spell cast, trap found and target gone. Last one's debatable.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Lady Dracula posted:

i think im gonna give bg1 another shot with the EE soon. what are some QoL mods? im thinking of things that streamline looting, things that might offer me respeccing, stuff like that.

if i manage to play and beat bg1 i'd probably also play bg2 if folks have similar thoughts there :)

EE has a built-in loot ground button that shows all the poo poo on the floor so you don't have to click on every little pile to loot.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
We still have a month and change to go, but start thinking about your ironman gimmicks!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Oh man. I hope I can get through bg2 with my dumb scs settings now. My unofficial best last year was being just about to go to Spellhold before dying to a Lightning Bolt Trap in Firkraag's Dungeon :v:.

No excuses! I've gone all the way to the final boss in '11 with Ascension installed! ... and died.

Wow we've been doing this for a long time.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Liches are immune to breach and non-inquis dispel so the best you can really do is get rid of the spell trap and use level 6+ spells while you wait for protection from magical weapons to wear off.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I was under the impression it's because inquisitor dispel is flagged as spell level 0. Same deal as the old vanilla HLA spells that were level 0 so they worked on demi-liches. Not anymore, though.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Pretty sure ToL Irenicus uses horrid wilting (huge magic-type damage) which should annihilate mordy swords.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Insect plague is level 5 so liches are immune unfortunately. Creeping doom would work I think but I usually prefer other level 7 druid spells.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I've been told you can finish BG3 really fast so let's add it to the ironman challenge thread! :haw:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Darts of stunning are pretty good. Saved my bacon during a catastrophic Sarevok fight, once.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Correct. They can in vanilla I believe through some (probably unintended?) methods like wearing that helm that lets you see the treasure in Firkraag's Dungeon. Although maybe Beamdog patched that out? Can't recall.

Anything in the head slot would protect against critical hits. Was patched out in the EE. Has to be an actual helmet now.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It's december, 2024 is almost upon us. Who will make the ironman thread?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I turn off party AI because I have yet to find a script that won't do extraordinary dumb poo poo like attack party members temporarily turned hostile.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

docbeard posted:

*Speaking of, who's doing the thread this year? (...maaaaaybe I will? If someone else has their heart set on it I won't but I'm willing!)

No one else said anything about wanting to make the thread. Go for it!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Xzar joins with 2 casts of larloch's minor drain memorized. It casts very quickly, faster than Tarnesh's mirror images and horror and so will always interrupt them. You should also use Imoen's wand of missiles for guaranteed extra damage since it always hits.

Ever since I started doing drain + missile then drain + missile again, I've never seen Tarnesh get a spell off and I've always successfully killed him without assistance from the exp-stealing guards.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Protection from magical weapons casts instantly and gives you 4 rounds of do whatever you want. Stone skin lasts an entire day. Most armor spells have a decent duration and should last you a fight or two. If you want all your buffs up then yeah it takes a while, but the above should be sufficient to start using offensive magic.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Currently trucking through BG1EE with a small handful of mods and had a quick question: does anyone else get these thin black border lines around some sprites? I see it occasionally on the game menu, around some characters, and most noticeable of all is around Thalantyr's big spinning crystal? Is this a known thing? I've tried alternate renderers and other graphics settings to no avail. It's not a big deal and is overall not super noticeable, but figured I'd ask.

In Options -> Graphics, uncheck Sprite Outlines and restart the game.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It's not random, it goes 1 2 1 2 1 2 etc.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Likewise, I like chateau Irenicus and it's so short and easy I don't see myself ever getting sick of it.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I don't mind Vancian casting and having to rest, it helps curb the power of casters a little. You'd have to significantly nerf magic if you could cast whatever whenever.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Yeah they said they weren't allowed to (or wouldn't?) make significant balance changes yet they nerfed the gently caress out of a lot of things in the last few patches.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Randallteal posted:

To me Half-Orc Berserker is peak chill. Big HP pool + rage giving immunity to confusion, charm, fear, hold, imprisonment, level drain, maze, feeblemind and sleep. A truly ridiculous ability.

Don't forget stun. Stun is grade triple A bullshit that's very hard to be immune to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I always found Haer'Dalis to be a boring nihilist. His kit is so drat good, though...