Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Running is free, and there are a lot of bodyweight exercises out there.

Look up Brain over Brawn. It's a goon-made book that is free on the internet, and can explain how to get your health in order very easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

MickeyFinn posted:

Having never lived in an area with snow I have to ask. Is the bold part a problem? You can't just take a sick day or something?

I don't see how losing thousands of dollars in interest every year guaranteed could cost him less than having to take a personal day every couple of years.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

That's a single speeding ticket that screwed us on fees that we were unable to afford because we were living on $19k a year combined.

That's complete bullshit. If you are living on 19k a year combined then you should know that you can't afford any traffic violations. Take responsibility for your actions.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

No Wave posted:

Buying a new car was a really bad decision... Why would you do that?

I agree with this. How is getting a brand new car the right answer to money problems?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

Ok http://www.pluswebhost.com/insurance.pdf there is my wife's insurance plan. The relevant plan is HSA 1500 and I think most of the relevant information can be found just by searching the document for that.

^ dreese thanks we do have a BigLots next to use we'll check them out.

The futons as Big Lots suck major rear end. However, I bought a sectional there 5 years ago and it's still in great shape. Highly recommended!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I thought my insurance sucked, but I went to urgent care for a neck pain that hasn't subsided and it was a $20 co-pay. "Sweet!" I thought. Then I went to get my prescription filled. Generic version of a muscle relaxer is $3.20 for 30. "Double-sweet!" said I.

Thanks, Obama!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

Also we checked out Big Lots for a sectional. Not sure what we're going to spend on one yet but we'll likely get one by Aug 7th at the latest.

Their prices are good on furniture, but if you can wait until they do the friends and family event you will get 20% off. My neighbors bought an awesome faux-leather sectional and paid around $500 for it. It's nice and soft, too.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

imabanana posted:

Nice job on the couch, that's good hustle.

Think about that in all parts of life - you can so often buy used.

People get rid of extremely decent stuff all the time. You can often get yourself higher end, quality made things for less than the cost of crappy brands new. And people who buy higher end usually take care of their things.

This is great advice. My wife likes to go to yard sales, and I've gotten into it as well. I stopped at one while walking the dog and noticed that they had some really nice dishware, in 4 or 5 different sets. I went home and grabbed the wife, and for $35 we got:
10 large dishes
10 small dishes
12 medium dishes
8 coffee cups
12 bowls
4 salad bowls

All were brand new with Pier 1 price tags on them; the sticker price for everything was over $250! The lady I bought them from worked as a house cleaner and they cleaned out a house of a hoarder. These were part of the payment.

I feel like starting a yard sale thread, but I'm by no means a master. My wife and her mom know the ins and outs, like what time to go (early early early!) and what neighborhoods are worth checking out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Jeffrey posted:

coming back to say they bought a 26k Corolla and were having a baby was enough to turn me

Fixed that for you.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
PROTIP: Go buy all your groceries and fun stuff on July 31st so you can claim that it was money spent in July and not August.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
For baby stuff: Yard sales! There is so much barely-used baby stuff out there, I can't imagine why anyone buys new things for clothes, toys, etc. This is one part of becoming parents that my wife and I are looking forward to.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Nope, you weren't too harsh. Those are the cold, hard facts and knyte needs to step up to the plate. He has his wife on board, now it's time to follow through.

Edit: I changed my mind, was typing when his reply came in.
Knyte: your pie-in-the-sky dreams are going to be your downfall. you are setting yourself up for failure by thinking that you will hit those lofty goals for 15 years when you have not been able to make any progress in the past 3.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 22, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
No one is trying to be a dick here. We're all just seeing more of the picture that you aren't. We want you succeed and have some ideas for things you should be accounting for. What you ultimately do is up to you.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I agree. I would allocate $100 to each person, in cash, and that's it for the month. That's still enough to have a little fun, and go out to eat an extra time or buy a little something you want.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Good choice! It will be hard the first month, but you'll eventually realize the true value of the things you buy.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Dude, I have a Kindle that I really shouldn't have bought, either. It's about the exact opposite of a "spartan" purchase. It's a toy that you bought because you don't know how to control your impulses.

Hint: If you are spending money because of the "value" but don't need to buy it in the first place, you probably don't need it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I think adding more money to "fun money" during Spartan August is a silly idea. You've got a baby on the way, save every penny you can while you are still able to. You will need it very soon.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

I feel like everyone harping on the football here is like recommending the living out of a van using a power inverter to cook hot dogs on an electric grill type of thing. I'm sorry if there aren't many football fans here, but hobbies and entertainment are generally things that other people think aren't worth it if they don't share the hobby.

Plus Lions are going to the playoffs this year :v: (no seriously they have the talent and a new Superbowl experienced coach).

We all have hobbies. Those of us not eyeballs deep in debt and without a child on the way have a little more leeway in spending on hobbies.

The right thing to do would to be to save your fun-money for a couple months to pay for this completely unnecessary spending.

Also, check out this graphic:
http://i.imgur.com/nyizpSX.png

You're spending roughly $10 a game for 11 minutes of action. I'm originally from Ohio and while I wish I could watch the Browns lose every week, I settle for watching the local games with an antenna and catch the highlights during halftimes. I can watch 6 games of NFL easily every week, plus another 10-12 college games.

Getting your finances in order requires sacrifices. You have free options, why not use them?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

Well because I did make a sacrifice here really. Instead of going with the Sunday Ticket app for ~$250.00 I'm using a VPN and cutting the expense down by 1/2. That means that I have to watch games on the computer or bother with running a long HDMI cord to the receiver. I almost got cable in July and this was my compromise like Bugamol was saying.

Sacrifice usually means going without. I have no issues with you spending your fun money on what you want, but maybe instead of buying a Kindle you could have taken that money and saved it towards the expense of your hobby?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Bugamol posted:

But we're talking about $130 for a guy whose currently taking home ~$63,600/yr. I'm assuming you never spend any money on anything that isn't an absolute necessity right Nocheez?

Of course I do, but I have zero debt (except an above-water mortgage) and am not expecting children any time soon.

What I'm talking about is changing the way Knyte looks at his finances. It's OK to spend $130 on your fun stuff, but it should be part of your fun money budget. It's better than blowing $250 or whatever the higher amount was, but he's got a very important life-changing event about to hit. It's going to wreck havoc on his marriage, his personal life, his sleep, and his finances. With just a few months left before the wee baby arrives, I would be in emergency saving mode. I would be putting every penny towards knocking out debt or saving for the eventual costs that are going to be incurred.

But that's just me, I'm a person who plans for the worst and hopes for the best.

Knyteguy posted:

Well the problem I have with this logic is how far does one sacrifice?

You keep sacrificing until your head is above water. You keep sacrificing until you are out of debt, and you have a good retirement and emergency savings. You keep sacrificing until your child's needs are met.

When you are in debt, it means that you spent more than you could made. With that comes increased interest payments, and that means less money in the future. You're going to have to make tough decisions and cut out unnecessary expenses until you pay back for the lifestyle you enjoyed previously.

Yes, you've had to make some tough cuts already but you still have room to go. Do it for your family's future.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 15, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Knyte: I think I have a digital converter box and rabbit ears lying around. If it'll help you save some money, I'll ship them to you, free.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

Nocheez that would be really, really great if you don't think you'll have a use for them again. I'd only do it if you let me pay for shipping at least. If you think you'll have a use I'd rather wait and pick up a set.

I have no use for it, but I have to find it. I'll be back in town in 2 weeks and will look for it then.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Do whatever you think is best. I think you're on the right track and things are looking promising for you. It's not a bad idea to have your thread to fall back on, and a break here and there can be therapeutic. It's stressful thinking about finances all the time, but make sure you have a plan for your days away and you'll be fine.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
If you think you'll have any time to play video games or watch TV when you have a newborn, well, :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

Thank you for acknowledging that regarding the house. I've been thinking about just how much a home really is. As in we saved about $3,500.00 this past month. It would take 50 months just like that to pay for a $175,000.00 house, and that doesn't take into account amortization and just interest in general.

Knyteguy posted:

Agreed. I kind of set it up like that on purpose. Really July was a great month if you take away the ~$250 in groceries and ~$1,100 in rent. We actually saved around $2,200 in July and $2,200 in August. So it's actually been 2 really good months not just one great one.

Looks like it will take about 80 months to save up for that house, not 50. Also, that's with zero baby expenses.

I'm with Veskit. Quit looking at long-term, pie-in-the-sky numbers and start worrying about September. Also, quit worrying about having a PS4. You'll soon realize how little you need a gaming system.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 3, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Aagar posted:

Fake Edit: God I have to stop writing novels ITT.

This was a great post! Thanks for writing it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

slap me silly posted:

Good lord man, turn these off. Easy way to reduce your splurge instinct right there.

Seriously. Spending time dreaming about buying new things is the easiest route to actually doing it.

I started to impulse purchase a Wii U based on the price drop of the refurb in the Coupons thread. I decided to wait a week, and play one in a store before making my decision. I spent about 5 minutes playing before I realized that it was just going to be the same games with prettier graphics, and that I don't really want to spend any more free time playing games.

I went home, picked up my guitar and downloaded a few new custom DLCs for Rocksmith and jammed out for an hour. It was free and I had just as much fun as if I was playing a new game system, and I'm getting better at a real-life skill at the same time.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
He does, just like Zaurg did.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
YOU HAVE A CHILD ON THE WAY. QUIT SPENDING MONEY ON TOYS FOR YOURSELF. HOARD CASH FOR THIS VERY IMPORTANT, LIFE-CHANGING EVENT.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I agree that my last post was harsh. Knyte seems to think he's not the same guy as the story he posted in the bad with money thread. Any cash sitting in the bank needs to be spent. He definitely is doing better, but he is far from figuring out how to actually budget. He also doesn't seem to leave any room for chance.

Knyte: I really am rooting for you, but a PS4 is absolutely nothing more than a toy. It is not a necessity, it is a distraction. Start a college fund for your kid, and every time you want to buy a toy for yourself, take that money and put it away for her future instead. Surely that money is better spent on her education than for your distractions... right?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
You might as well just close the thread, because you've basically decided to take your ball and go home. It should be a wake-up call that absolutely strangers who enjoy thinking about finances have very similar opinions on your financial decisions. We would not be posting here if we truly didn't want to see you have a positive outcome. We don't want to berate you for every purchase, but you came here asking for help and we're trying to provide it.

Sidenote: I don't plan on paying for my children's educations either. I was making the point that if you have to spend money, you might as well spent it on something positive instead of another toy for yourself.

edit: fixed some grammatical stuff, clarification.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 22, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

2.5%. We need $20,000. Gma wants to open a joint account and she said she'll match us every dollar up to $20,000.

If I were in your shoes and had the ability to make my savings pay a return of 100%, I sure as poo poo would be saving every penny possible to get to $20,000.

Thought exercise: would you still be buying a PS4 if it cost twice as much for everything? Console, controllers, games, etc.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Yes, listen to Veskit. I'm much too harsh.

Also, I found the rabbit ears but couldn't find the tuner box :( I have no idea where it went, but if I do find it I'll let you know.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Veskit posted:

Dropping 1k into your discretionary spending is running away instead of coming and saying, "I"M FREAKING THE gently caress OUT BECAUSE I FEEL POOR, OR I WANT A PS4 or whatever"

It's hard to admit, but when your debts are more than your assets you are actually more poor than the guy living on the street corner with $5 in his cup. You have the ability to make more money, but you need to make up for the bad decisions/circumstances that put you behind. This takes discipline, hard work, and a good attitude.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Can we let the college stuff die already? I brought it up to point out that he was getting ready to drop money on toys for himself and that maybe putting it towards his kid's future would be a better idea. I shouldn't have said anything, as he has more pressing priorities (like getting ready to welcome that kid into the world).

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

Clothes were $150 included 2 pairs of shoes, 2 pairs of jeans, 2 shirts. All of it was on a good sale. I'm loving tired of buying cheap clothes and them tearing. The button popping crap is my fault but our clothes expenditure is higher than it should be this year because we always buy the cheapest poo poo. I rectified that situation.

Not to belabor the point, but there's other options for clothing besides department stores. I have a ton of stuff from thrift stores because my mother-in-law does it as her business, and my wife picked up the habit when she was a young girl. I have an awesome Banana Republic leather jacket ($15), many nice long-sleeved shirts, brand name polos and jeans, and we paid roughly 10% of the original price. Many things came new with tags still on them.

If you really want to stretch your dollar, you need to get creative. If you have a thrift store within walking distance, you can get some exercise on the way there and back, too. You will eventually start to realize that a $25 t-shirt that is 60% off is still a really expensive t-shirt.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

April posted:

You know what? Go ahead, buy the PS4. If you're going to act like a child, might as well have the toys.

:drat:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

maybe 1 month from now we'll become enlightened and realize the answer is less stuff, or we can get a storage unit instead and I can move my desk into the second bedroom, or something.

This is really important. Chasing the latest gadget, or thinking you need "more" to be happy is a trap that many many people fall into. The entire US economy is built on selling people things they don't really need.

Learn to do without things, to enjoy what you already have, and to find ways of being entertained for free or cheap. My wife and I like going on hikes and listening to live bands, for instance.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
That's great that you're finally understanding what a budget is! You can use past data to help figure out where you overspent and what your budget line items should be, but not changing your spending habits is a sure-fire way to be unsuccessful.

Reconciliation should still occur after every month so you and your wife know where you did well, and where you need to improve. Your budget should not change very often, usually only after life-changing events like having a child or a change in income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

I have a $20,000 appendix removal bill sitting in collections, and it'll stay that way.

Not too worried; there's no point...

Hahaha, what?

• Locked thread