Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
My weekly law lmao comes from reading Thomas' lone dissent in the Brandi Levi case sure to be discussed

quote:

In a dissent, Justice Clarence Thomas wrote that the school was right to suspend Levy because students like her "who are active in extracurricular programs have a greater potential, by virtue of their participation, to harm those programs."

"For example, a profanity-laced screed delivered on social media or at the mall has a much different effect on a football program when done by a regular student than when done by the captain of the football team," Thomas here. So, too, here."

Callow Youths critically damaging our hallowed institutions of learning and fitful sporting with their profanity-laced screeds, delivered to their chums at the local indoor walking-mall: as much, or more of a perfidy than denials of Christ at sock-hops and at the local soda fountain? Local septuagenarian offers his wizened input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
The whole part where you aren't allowed to film or picture the supreme court literally doing supreme court things on behalf of the entire nation is a strangely large part of their increasingly undeserved mythos as a noble arbitration body above the realm of petty politics and i am super for having cameras on

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
it seems like it should be a much bigger deal what the supreme court actually just went and did, considering that today strom thurmond is smiling up from hell, tears in his eyes, saying "thank you ... thank you for stopping what i couldn't"

like i'm not wrong to think that this essentially renders the VRA a dead letter, yeah

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
Lol this is like an answer to the question of "is there anything conservatives could do to hypothetically prevent the midterms from being a guaranteed victory for them? Anything lovely and brazen enough that it puts things back in play?" The timing is superbly arrogant

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

Carillon posted:

I wish I had your confidence that this won't benefit the conservative turnout and election results.

I have confidence in nothing except this being absolutely loving nuts

It could be one of those lightning strike galvanizing once in a lifetime opportunities for the dems and you'll never catch me insisting that it'll shake them into meaningful action lol

But what's extra super crazy about it is that the Supreme Court just dead-handed themselves into being a nakedly partisan institution, in the eyes of the general populace. Like they literally did the wizard court thing, that's what this does. Illegitimate supreme judiciary is not something to look forward to

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

eSports Chaebol posted:

I do have to admit I thought they would be more gradual. Like Roberts probably would rather have whittled down Roe and wait to strike it down completely until after a few rulings weakening its precedent. I mean he’s the probably gonna write a separate pro-life dissent for this.

Roberts is the most terrified by this event because his legacy was to keep the Supreme Court legitimate and his actions were precise in adhering to this goal and this is the moment where it is clear he cannot do this and he has failed

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

Fuschia tude posted:

I like how when I said the court was going to do exactly this after RBG died two years ago I got nothing but dismissive responses.

I think there was a reactionary response to it based on the idea of the Supreme Court as Roberts has cultured it. There was an inability to fully comprehend that the new balance of power was now held by insane Christian cultists who network in prayer groups and think federally guaranteed access to contraception is a devil hell sin, much less "abortion for all who need it" and much like with GWB plowing face first into Iraq as Magog, they are acting as agents of a just God who will work the path out for them. That's how you end up doing this. You think God will make it work out. Just do the thing, and the theo-moral apparatus of the physical universe will render this path unto victory.

Thus: the imperial wizard court

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
Oh no, not the legitimacy of the Supreme Court, oh no

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Does shaming voters work, or is it just a way to ignore the problems of an implicitly anti democratic system in favor of a moral parable? Id be down with it if it was actually demonstrably effective at all.

Shaming voters accomplishes nothing but making more non-voters, especially when their complaints about antidemocratic impediments designed to keep the 'wrong votes from mattering are extremely valid

Simultaneously though leftists obsessively convincing other leftists not to vote is just doing legwork for the most terrible people in the country so I have little better to say about it as a personal crusade

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

shades of eternity posted:

I'm going to say it again.

This is the most important mid-term election in your life time.

This only confirms it.

Vote hard and vote with your friends and allies like there is no tomarrow.

In a 6-3 decision my vote was rendered moot

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
i am arrogant and not very smart and I promise you that this is correct, he has me disease

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
being raised by someone like musk's dad will gently caress you up enough, but then you add on top of that the thing that billionaires do whether they know it or not where their lives begin to curate around only those who appeal to you by gladhanding, nervous emotional accommodation, and straight up sycophantry

even just a few years where people don't wanna talk over or correct you because they want to be cool with cool billionaire guy will gently caress you up unless you have a sufficiently self aware, humble, and protectively cynical nature, and the children of the super rich don't get this, they get "these are real people, these are clean my house and stay invisible people"

we don't need to go hunting through the DSM for which type of neurodivergence it represents imo

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
what r "diversity" me not understand? Sound like made up fairy tale durrrr

- the wizard counseyl

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

You’ll get a 2.5% raise until the heat death of the universe at my company, u til you hit the VP level and above. Why work harder?

When was the last year that wasn't a pay cut lmao

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

Jaxyon posted:

You think Thomas doesn't?

I'd say that Gorsuch is a True Believer libertarian, but Thomas is a True Believer originalist.

The problem being that originalism is extremely subjective, which made it perfect to fig leaf over conservative ideological radicalism and pretend it's really a consistent legal principle

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
Well this could gently caress the internet up rull good and wacky like

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
If a employee be hourly they not be salaried. So it be do.

Dissent: moron baby, joined by poop troglodyte

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
Like i know there is a super duper ready to go community of conservative judicial explainers around the country that would definitely jump at the chance to come and explain to me why the dissent isn't exactly as dumb as it looks and that I must be a not law understanding fool to not agree with their dissent, which is fascinating to me because it looks very painfully dumb on its face

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

Farchanter posted:

IIRC Twitter even coded a procedural Nazi suppression filter, but elected to not actually deploy it because Republican politicians kept getting caught in the dragnet.

Proof of concept validated in deployment though

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
This Clarence Thomas poo poo originally felt like a shoulder shrug "won't be talking about it in a week" thing but propublica just kept going until it turned into something that would at least have the decency to dog him for the rest of his life

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

azflyboy posted:

In a shocking turn of events, it looks like the report that exonerated Rapey McBeerface might have had some fundamental flaws.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/28/brett-kavanaugh-investigation-omissions-senate-sexual-assault-claims

This news has bowled me right out of my seat into a violent somersault through the sheer shock and surprise of the thing, and now I am pinwheeling into outer space while shouting "whaaaaaaaaaaaaAaat?"

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
They gunshy on what "reform" is supposed to mean. It's this chimera poo poo, conservatives run on "reforming" poo poo to death all the time. NCLB was "school reform" etc

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

... huh?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
everyone huddled around the imperial court's Organ Report to assess the probabilistic threat to our civil liberties

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
External organs sees their shadow, we have six more weeks of Chevron

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

smackfu posted:

“Chief Justice Roberts noted that the challengers’ position would have empowered the former Confederate states to determine whether candidates were disqualified from holding federal office.“

Fair point.

Its deader than poo poo

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
This court simply cannot prosecute this white supremacist for organizing violent attacks on minorities and assaulting the police ... unless you bring me an equal number of antifa who did just as many bad things. It's called fairness look it up. This shall stand as my official ruling as the honorable donkeybrain von dusterhuffer the fourth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
clarence thomas was absent from oral arguments today without explanation

dont see why any of us had to know this, could a replaced his rear end with a tussauds wax dummy and we would been none the wiser