Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Guess who else created strong financial incentives for mothers to stay at home with their kids?

http://webpage.pace.edu/nreagin/F2005WS267/ReginaGennari/history.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
So, I wonder if Scalia will say something about this?

quote:

Scalia specifically pointed to a convicted killer named Henry Lee McCollum as an obvious example of a man who deserved to be put to death. “For example, the case of an 11-year-old girl raped by four men and then killed by stuffing her panties down her throat,” Scalia wrote in a 1994 ruling. “How enviable a quiet death by lethal injection compared with that!”

For Scalia, McCollum was the perfect example – a murderer whose actions were so heinous that his crimes stood as a testament to the merit of capital punishment itself.

Yesterday, McCollum was pardoned. Scalia’s perfect example of a man who deserved to be killed by the state was innocent.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

emfive posted:

Why hasn't one of the goonier interns figured out how to send out the brief via quadcopter yet

Make it Dongcopter and you're in business.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I seem to recall hearing that Michelle absolutely hates living in DC, and they both want out as soon as his term's over. So, unlikely to seek or accept a lifetime nomination that sticks the family there.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 15, 2016

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Though the GOP ignoring Kennedy's own appointment is worth it for moments like last night's debate where the moderator basically shamed Cruz in to silence.

From a couple pages ago, but might someone have a link handy?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

fourwood posted:

If you think the GOP is actually more scared of a Trump nom than an Obama/HRC nom then

Trump as GOP nominee means a Clinton appointment, which does scare the GOP, and rightly so.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Discendo Vox posted:

I feel that this product would benefit from cloud integration.

I there was ever a time for a cloud-to-butt word filter script to earn it's keep, it's right now.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's still amazing that in the Bush v Gore decision opinion they had to put a very clear note saying 'this is not precedent'. I know at least some of them regret getting involved.

For years if anyone asked O'Connor about it she'd grimace and Chang the subject.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

My first reaction to this map was "How in the gently caress did a Republican win Massachusetts?", but I had forgotten a) that was a 2014 election, and b) the Dems put up Coakley again because they don't loving learn.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Here I thought another Justice died. Ye gods.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Admiral Ray posted:

should get an Anarcho Primitivist on the court just for laughs

One Thomas is enough, thanks.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ilkhan posted:

I think, I have to think, that if a loony judge was murdered even the Republicans would nominate a Democrat to replace them and vice versa. I may be wrong, but I hope we never have to find out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WZLJpMOxS4

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wow, Mississippi burning.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
"Democrat Party"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not just an rear end in a top hat but a dumb rear end in a top hat.

:kav:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
A Democratic President in 2020 will have every single agency regulation challenged in front of a hopelessly partisan judicial system, and SCOTUS will vote 5-4 to smirk and say "a functional Congress must fix this".

Never mind that as we've seen with VRA and a dozen other things, "a functional Congress" is the political science equivalent of "Homo economicus" or "a perfectly spherical frictionless cow".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/08/republicans-ready-supreme-court-vacancy-243574

Senate GOP confirming what everyone knew already.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sydin posted:

Thomas and Gorsuch are honest to god ideologues, it's just that said ideals line up with mainstream conservative ideology nine times out of ten. Meanwhile Alito and :kav: are indefensibly just GOP toadies who will gleefully twist the law any which way to satisfy their fascist masters. Roberts feels closer to the latter than the former, and I think if he wasn't chief justice he'd be almost indistinguishable from Alito but his weird obsession with the legacy of his court as non-partisan means he has a lot of rulings where he sides with the liberals on weird technicalities that let him write incredibly narrow decisions that end up with 4+ concurrence-in-part-and-dissent-in-part's.

Hypothetically, if Roberts assigned himself a 6-3 decision and the other 5 all signed on to the same concurrence-in-part-dissent-in-part, how would that be treated in terms of precedence? Like if he writes one of those incredibly narrow interpretations but a real majority say "no, it's more widely applicable" does it get applied narrowly or widely as a precedent?

This may be a weird question and I hope I'm asking it in a way that makes sense.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
That makes sense, thanks to both of you.

If that happened, and then the Chief Justice said "whoopsie!" and rewrote the opinion to one they could concur with, would the public ever know?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sydin posted:

Is the a requirement on ruling assignment being dolled out relatively evenly or is that just etiquette? Like in a hypothetical situation where you have eight justices who all just cannot loving stand the ninth, could they refuse forever to allow that justice to write a ruling?

I can't find any information on this, but I feel like if it was ever going to happen it would be the Hughes Court and James McReynolds.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
And now there's this.

Nystral posted:

Thomas and Alito are rumored to be quitting.

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1278335639214272513?s=20

https://twitter.com/jennfranconews/status/1278365860311130112?s=20

https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1278337070310854656?s=20

Don't hold your breath or anything, but I wouldn't be shocked if Trump gets a third chance at replacing a candidate. And with our hellfucked Senate they'll still pass the nominee no matter what.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zzzzz posted:

Is it true the administration has told the Supreme Court they can pound sand in regards to their DACA decision?

There's not actually a way for the court to compel them to follow the court orders in the results of that case, is there?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/07/daca-donald-trump-supreme-court.html

"John Roberts has made his decision; now let him enforce it."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nonexistence posted:

Republicans haven't won a popular vote since '88, and 2016 was supposed to be a bigger slam dunk than 2020

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Rust Martialis posted:

Maybe take longer than 10 seconds next time?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Democrat

"In addition to the New Democrat Coalition, which represents the moderate wing, the Blue Dog Coalition represents conservative Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives."

Or, using the article https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Dog_Coalition to answer questions like '
How were the Blue Dogs seen when they had power in the Clinton era?'

"In the early years of the caucus, the Blue Dogs were viewed by some as the political successors to a Southern Democratic group known as the Boll Weevils.[37][38] The Boll Weevils may, in turn, be considered the descendants of the Dixiecrats and the "states' rights" Democrats of the 1940s through the 1960s, and even the Bourbon Democrats of the late 19th century."

Or the list of former Blue Dogs who jumped ship to the GOP.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_Blue_Dog_Coalition

In short, for most of it's existence, the term "Blue Dog" meant a *conservative* Democrat.

Now the current group is different, but again, considering the current group apparently " professes an independence from the leadership of both parties" (wikipedia again). I'm not quite sure this would really describe Feinstein, who in any event is ineligible as a Senator.

Seriously, from 1995 to today, calling someone a bluedog didn't mean "centrist". Again, Wikipedia:

"The Blue Dog Coalition was formed in 1995[9][10][11] during the 104th Congress to give members from the Democratic Party representing conservative-leaning districts a unified voice after the Democrats’ loss of Congress in the 1994 Republican Revolution.[12]"

But yeah, sure, ignore the origin and history of the term so it only means centrist now, okay.

Take the L, friend.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

NaanViolence posted:

Actually that poster is correct and you're being extremely petty.

No, they're not - Blue Dogs are conservative on the spectrum of Democrats, and centrist on the spectrum of American politics, and the poster is grasping at straws to try to win a pointless argument that is dragging the thread down because they can't admit that they didn't realize that difference when they first read the post that sent them off the deep end.

That very Wikipedia link lists plain as day "Ideology: Centrism".

It's incredibly obvious that Sydin meant "Blue Dog Democrats, who are centrist on the American political scale".

I'm advising that the pettiness stop, and the stupid argument end.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 16, 2020

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

haveblue posted:

McConnell doesn't need to leave the Senate to lose power, if he becomes the minority leader through other republicans getting knocked out he loses most of his ability to obstruct

2022 flips again, he's right back on top, smirking his turtley smirk and pulling the lever that ends America.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

in a 5-4 decision I barely decided not to give you a (comedy? ??) probation for this

Wait a couple years, mods'll start writing papers in QQCS about overturning this.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
But the ~~PrOcEsS~~!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

They are taxed though. Undocumented immigrants can get Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers.

They also pay sales tax to the states and municipalities they live in, gas taxes, and any of the dozens to hundreds of other little here-and-there taxes that people forget about, although how much pull that argument will have on the federal level I don't know.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/LambdaLegal/status/1329838435159470098

At first I was real confused because how could a medical procedure be defined as free speech? Then I remembered what conversion therapy was.

I'd be very interested in how an en banc decision on this one would go.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nonexistence posted:

What was the legitimate purpose of presidential pardons ever even supposed to be?

"Well, kings get to do it, why not our guy?"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

This looks like one of those cases where the statute is written badly but clearly, so there's no possible way to interpret it otherwise.

Minn. Stat. § 609.341, subd. 7 (2020) posted:

"Mentally incapacitated” means that a person under the influence of alcohol, a narcotic, anesthetic, or any other substance, administered to that person without the person’s agreement, lacks the judgment to give a reasoned consent to sexual contact or sexual penetration.

Bad law, needs amending.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Make that pro-draft thread in GIP/IFW and let people who have firsthand experience on the topic contribute to a discussion of whether or not a conscript force would be a good idea.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"Pressing public necessity may sometimes justify the existence of such restrictions". Korematsu v. United States, 323 U.S. 214 (1944)

Oh hey that worked out well, let's keep doing whatever that was about- hang on, I'm getting handed a note here...

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Four of the sitting Justices attended Harvard Law School. Four of the remaining five went to Yale Law.

I can easily believe that a Harvard Law professor might have a teensy bias toward defending the current setup.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Piell posted:

Those Alito D numbers are insane, he is by far the worst justice

For people who are paying attention, sure. But as terrible as he is he's sort of middle of the road as far as publicity goes - Roberts is the Chief Justice and Thomas gets a lot of media attention and internet discussion for being entertainingly weird, and the other three were recent appointees plus the Trump factor.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FAUXTON posted:

why are they trying to raise cattle in california, the entire upper middle of the country is a giant grazing pasture

e: https://www.nass.usda.gov/Publications/Highlights/2019/2017Census_Irrigation_and_WaterManagement.pdf the difference in irrigation use is pretty shocking

I just listened to this and it may help answer that question: https://soundcloud.com/farm-to-taber-podcast/lucy-maude-ranching-drag

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FAUXTON posted:

this is a really neat listen so far and a bunch of the other episodes look super interesting, but as an answer to my question this episode doesn't seem to directly address why california uses five times the water per acre as loving nebraska but houses a third as many beef cattle unless it's just jawdropping mismanagement driven by pastoral romanticism

like I'm not sure it all can be chalked up to bay area coders taking a break from their weekday engineer cosplay to engage in a weekend session of horny cowboy cosplay

Ah, sorry - I read your question as more about the "raising cattle" part of the issue than the "in California" part. But really, people raise cattle in California and other water-scarce reasons for the same reason they raise cattle in other places in the US that are better suited for the purpose but still do a lovely job of it: because they're/we're too culturally attached to it as an identity to not do it even where it doesn't make any sense. Which is what that episode is about.

IOW, "jawdropping mismanagement driven by pastoral romanticism" is pretty close to the mark if not a total bullseye.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 23, 2021

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
How hosed up is this Kennedy decision going to be? I'm seeing speculation that a whole bunch of Establishment Clause jurisprudence is poised to go right out the window into Jesusland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
EDIT: Nevermind, apparently that's a myth and I should check these things before posting them.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 8, 2022