Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

I made a few mods when this came out, mostly decorative block crafting and turning plant matter into fuel (not as necessary now, obviously). Is worldgen easy to toy with?

Yup, it's just a config file.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/morecaves.2484/

Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1AHbxJyV6U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Starbound - have you even collected 1000 of every block

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

This took you like, what, an hour maybe? With another hour of tuning and cleanup you could fix cave generation for the most part. That's already leagues better than what it currently is. I wonder how it plays with mini-dungeons.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

:mrgw:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Header for the new OP :allears:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Babe Magnet posted:

This took you like, what, an hour maybe? With another hour of tuning and cleanup you could fix cave generation for the most part. That's already leagues better than what it currently is. I wonder how it plays with mini-dungeons.

They just spawn in the middle of the caves, so you can like walk through the tunnels and BOOM there is a lab or something.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
as a tremendously gay poster, one who enjoys a lot of dick and rear end, i have been informed that noted early access game BarStound is the place to get lots.

can anyone confirm/deny that by spending $30 on this game i will receive large amounts of penis?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Good idea! I was loving around my starter planet a bit, but immediately noticed the lack of caves in comparison to the last time I played

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

It'd be happy even if just the starter world was more like that. Later on in the game you have massively more powerful mining tools and movement abilities and even better lighting, so personally I don't mind being asked to dig a little, but forcing you to dig your way down to the core with what you start out with is an exercise in repetition.

Also: they recently added like hundreds of underground microdungeons, but it doesn't seem like they set any of them to spawn in the starter world which also helps make sure the first hour is boring as hell. That'd be another great tweak.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoGames posted:

as a tremendously gay poster, one who enjoys a lot of dick and rear end, i have been informed that noted early access game BarStound is the place to get lots.

can anyone confirm/deny that by spending $30 on this game i will receive large amounts of penis?

confirm

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

They just spawn in the middle of the caves, so you can like walk through the tunnels and BOOM there is a lab or something.

That makes way more sense than some lab that's for some reason beneath a few hundred feet of rock with doors that lead to rock.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Turtlicious posted:

Still haven't bought those Starbounds eh bub.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I might up the variables on some ores and stuff, but I'm waiting for the next nightly / stable update which will have a tool that just gens planets, when I can get a better look I can tweak it more, but this is definitely functional for what the thread wants.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Afraid of Audio posted:

Still haven't bought those Starbounds eh bub.

I haven't given the third one out yet, but I've already given out two. One too deadly_pudding, and one to audish, do you want screenshots of the confirmation email or the transaction log in steam?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
No worries, I believe you have done that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a little hosed up that I'm having trouble giving this game away though.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Turtlicious posted:

It's a little hosed up that I'm having trouble giving this game away though.

Give it to me, friend.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
gift it to one of those phishing accounts

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Afraid of Audio posted:

Give it to me, friend.

what's your name on steam?

e: actually pm it to me, those weirdos buying the avatars might use this as a chance to be weird in some way.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, it's obviously a bit too open right now and it's got those weird vertical lines through it here and there but with a little tweaking I'm sure it'll be awesome.

Turtlicious posted:

I might up the variables on some ores and stuff, but I'm waiting for the next nightly / stable update which will have a tool that just gens planets, when I can get a better look I can tweak it more, but this is definitely functional for what the thread wants.
Wait, what's this about a planet generating tool?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Turtilicious has delivered the goods, starfriends.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, it's obviously a bit too open right now and it's got those weird vertical lines through it here and there but with a little tweaking I'm sure it'll be awesome.

Wait, what's this about a planet generating tool?

they have a tool that will generate a planet and let you look at it, I was talking to one of the devs and they were like, "I thought I released this already." and I was like, No. So it's getting pushed in the next update.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I've found planets with caves a lot like what it looks like in your video but that was on the old stable version. They were not common and usually was high threat worlds. It was often lots of spindly little caves like in your video and sometimes they would have massive caverns which required messing with those sketchy grapplinghooks or lots and lots and lots of platforms to explore all of.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Turtlicious posted:

they have a tool that will generate a planet and let you look at it, I was talking to one of the devs and they were like, "I thought I released this already." and I was like, No. So it's getting pushed in the next update.
That's pretty cool. Used for modding, I assume? Not like an in-game item that just lets you zap planets into existence.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

That's pretty cool. Used for modding, I assume? Not like an in-game item that just lets you zap planets into existence.

it's an exe file.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm actually mad about how much better this looks than the default caves

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Turtlicious posted:

it's an exe file.
All right sounds rad can't wait good job on the caves keep up the good work.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
so from what I'm heard the zombie miner mission is still pretty similar to how it was back when I played like a month and a half ago, aka
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suc81Wzw-hI
but what I need to ask is, are the lovely quests that I also played back then still in? specifically:

IronicDongz posted:

theres also a mission where some lady at the special port place is like "hey space voyager go to a jungle to get rawass coffee beans to make coffee with because I want coffee(???!???!!!??)",

so then you leave the port for the gate planet,

beam back from the gate planet to your ship,

go find a jungle planet,

find coffee beans on the planet,

go back to the gate planet,

beam from your ship to the gate planet,

beam from the gate planet to the port,

use coffee beans with coffee machine,

take coffee to lady who is then like "hey I won't drink this coffee without a container(????!?!?!??!??!!!!?!??!????)",

so then you leave the port for the gate planet,

beam back from the gate planet to your ship,

go find a desert planet,

dig up 20 sand for 10 glass(iirc),

smelt sand into glass,

craft the 10 glass into a coffee mug,

go back to the gate planet,

beam from your ship to the gate planet,

beam from the gate planet to the port,

go back to the lady again and shove the raw uncontained free-floating coffee and separate coffee mug into her loving idiot face,

and then you get like one tech card or some bullshit.

Bilal posted:

No, you have to make a steel stirring spoon after that before the quest is complete.

IronicDongz posted:

oh yeah I forgot that part lol, which means if you did the rest of it before steel-tier you need to put the lovely quest on hold for later

christ

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Turtlicious posted:

I was talking to one of the devs and they were like, "I thought I released this already."

classic chucklefish

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm working on fixing that too.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Afraid of Audio posted:

Turtilicious has delivered the goods, starfriends.

Babe Magnet posted:

this is the kind of friendship and camaraderie I hope to see in the new thread, good work all

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Yeah maybe they'll gift you a 10 dollar game to shame your Steam library

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its a fun game, that's why I had to give out 3 copies. hth

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

but what I need to ask is, are the lovely quests that I also played back then still in? specifically:
Yes.

I'm too bad to finish the zombie miner mission. How do I turn godmode on? I'm dumb.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The zombie miner mission is good, but you need to have the dash tech or something like that (or a shield!) dodging / blocking is the name of the game to not being creamed on minute 1.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Doggboat posted:

Yes.

I'm too bad to finish the zombie miner mission. How do I turn godmode on? I'm dumb.

/admin

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Doggboat posted:

Yes.

/admin

I found a stimpack vendor at one point. That should help with this mission, red stimpacks are hardcore. If I can find him again I'll post the coords - can you still share them across games?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You can still share coords across games, at least you could in unstable.

Shields are your friend, until you neglect to notice your last shield has 10 shield health left right as you enter a hostile dungeon. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

The zombie miner mission is good, but you need to have the dash tech or something like that (or a shield!) dodging / blocking is the name of the game to not being creamed on minute 1.

For those high armor enemies I find that using a slow attacking two-hander is the way to go because it overcomes their armor pretty well and they die a lot faster. The game seems to want you to keep a one-handed fast weapon and a two-handed slow weapon for light and heavy armor enemies.

Also depends on the attacks of the enemies though, if they have good projectiles then shield might be a better option.

• Locked thread