Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GreenMarine posted:

I still have high hopes for this game and am willing to give them whatever time. Plenty of other stuff to play in the meantime. But this gif is pretty good.

I love that its your av, lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Trying to play the most recent nightly. Going through a town and the world gen just seems to... stop. That huge canyon in the first image, I couldn't move past it at all and doing so seemed to "freeze" the game, it didn't actually lock up but the menus didn't work, I couldn't open doors, eventually I seemed to rubberband back to the left of the screen and somehow picked up random items from the buildings (for example the cash register) and put it in my inventory. I restarted the game and on the second try it would eventually start to load in the rest of the town on the screen but still caused the game to become unstable and start crashing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Smoremaster posted:

They made the game a lot more tedious so it takes you longer to realize there's no new content. :ssh:
theres pink mans who take waaay too long to kill, and broken npcs who take waaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to kill

theres also a mission where some lady at the special port place is like "hey space voyager go to a jungle to get rawass coffee beans to make coffee with because I want coffee(???!???!!!??)",

so then you leave the port for the gate planet,

beam back from the gate planet to your ship,

go find a jungle planet,

find coffee beans on the planet,

go back to the gate planet,

beam from your ship to the gate planet,

beam from the gate planet to the port,

use coffee beans with coffee machine,

take coffee to lady who is then like "hey I won't drink this coffee without a container(????!?!?!??!??!!!!?!??!????)",

go find a desert planet,

dig up 20 sand for 10 glass(iirc),

smelt sand into glass,

craft the 10 glass into a coffee mug,

go back to the lady again and shove the raw uncontained free-floating coffee and separate coffee mug into her loving idiot face,

and then you get like one tech card or some bullshit.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

No, you have to make a steel stirring spoon after that before the quest is complete.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
oh yeah I forgot that part lol, which means if you did the rest of it before steel-tier you need to put the lovely quest on hold for later

christ

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bilal posted:

No, you have to make a steel stirring spoon after that before the quest is complete.

This made me laugh

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Bilal posted:

Trying to play the most recent nightly. Going through a town and the world gen just seems to... stop. That huge canyon in the first image, I couldn't move past it at all and doing so seemed to "freeze" the game, it didn't actually lock up but the menus didn't work, I couldn't open doors, eventually I seemed to rubberband back to the left of the screen and somehow picked up random items from the buildings (for example the cash register) and put it in my inventory. I restarted the game and on the second try it would eventually start to load in the rest of the town on the screen but still caused the game to become unstable and start crashing.

Supernorn posted:

Glad you're all having fun!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Wait wait wait wait

so the "make a spoon" thing is not a joke

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No. It's not, which conveniently makes a great punchline but is also actually real life which is, incredible

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that's also one of the first loving missions by the way

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
absolute best foot forwards

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Proof

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not just anybody,

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Of all the poo poo people bitch about this is the only thing that actually bothers me, this absurdly artificial hard gating direction the game seems to be going in. At least if you're gonna do hard gating, make it something a little less nonsensical, ugh there's at least three or four reasons why this is lovely design and I just can't be bothered.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
reason #1: it's not goddamned fun you loving idiots games are not automatically better the longer it takes you to do things in them

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lefish

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

XboxPants posted:

Of all the poo poo people bitch about this is the only thing that actually bothers me, this absurdly artificial hard gating direction the game seems to be going in. At least if you're gonna do hard gating, make it something a little less nonsensical, ugh there's at least three or four reasons why this is lovely design and I just can't be bothered.

As I said before, what happened to the "multiple paths through the game" they were really pushing before? Now it's just nothing but terrible, linear fetch quests before you see any of the real "meat" of the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:golfclap:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's kind of funny that they've managed to take a step(steps, really) back futher than the lovely placeholder bosses they used to have for gating

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

One step forward and two steps back. Nobody gets too far like that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

As I said before, what happened to the "multiple paths through the game" they were really pushing before? Now it's just nothing but terrible, linear fetch quests before you see any of the real "meat" of the game.

What that seems to mean now is that as you make your way through the content, there are multiple "styles" you can can use to get by. For instance, you could focus on combat, or you could focus on farming. That's part of the reason why they added all those recipes recently, it's a step towards making farming a valid path of its own, buff yourself out all crazy with high-end foods, make a lot of money by selling crops, etc. I think they're also planning on adding some kind of building/NPC-oriented branch.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You need to focus on combat, though. There is no food that stops enemies from killing you in just a few hits, it's all varying amounts of slow HP regen over time, jump height, move speed etc. poo poo like that.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

There are multiple paths: there is the lovely chucklefish path and there are mods.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Not defending the spoon quest, but just pointing out that you can entirely ignore it and it doesn't make a difference. It's an early tech card if you just get boned for rng worlds. I found an apex facility with jumping puzzles over poison water and tesla spikes and it had 2 tech cards in it. You can only equip 3 of them. You basically program techs into the blank cards also, so you don't have to find specific techs anymore, you just find cards and pick the tech you want. You unlock others through quests, like bringing 300 kelp to some lady for a nanosuit thing that lets you survive on highly radiated planets.

Coffee quest is completely a sidequest, after you talk to her another dude asks for 20 iron bars to make an iron crafting bench, and other npcs do the rest of the stuff. My favorite part is that the NPCs will wander around and use the bathroom, and every time I've gone for the "make a full set of iron armor quest" the guy has been in the bathroom stall. I just wish they could make the quest dialogue have a lot of pooping noises put into it if he's in the stall.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 18, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

You need to focus on combat, though. There is no food that stops enemies from killing you in just a few hits, it's all varying amounts of slow HP regen over time, jump height, move speed etc. poo poo like that.

Not true, there are combat foods that give you thorny armor or bonus damage or more exotic buffs like that. They're uncommon, but if you specialize in cooking & farming, you'll find them.

Also, you really can't say much yet when the highest tiers of food don't even have their effects filled in yet and are just placeholder items.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

XboxPants posted:

Not true, there are combat foods that give you thorny armor or bonus damage. They're uncommon, but if you specialize in cooking & farming, you'll find them.

Also, you really can't say much yet when the highest tiers of food don't even have their effects filled in yet and are just placeholder items.

Well, he can say "it's been 9 months and all of the food is placeholder" which is pretty much all that needs to be said about the game.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
All these quests sound pretty tedious considering you could be making multiple characters. Gating and Missions that are neccesary to get your ship online is MMO-fying a game that does not need to be MMOed.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Bauxite posted:

Well, he can say "it's been 9 months and all of the food is placeholder" which is pretty much all that needs to be said about the game.

Well yeah if you're gonna just make poo poo up then sure, you can indeed say whatever you want.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
XboxPants'd Again.

Rrussom fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 18, 2014

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Ah, just what starbound was missing, Fetch quests!

Lmbo

Combat was no real issue for me all enemies are bitches that die in 1-2 hits, that are dumb and predictible and none of them took me below 50% hp.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Supernorn posted:

The fact is, with a few exceptions you sucked any fun out of me posting here. I wasn't required to. I'm a goon that just happens to be contributing to a game that I enjoy working on. You can't really expect me to take this thread seriously when you guys are just showing utter contempt towards me, the game or any reasonable means towards a discussion. So I'm going to peace out and you guys can continue doing whatever it is you think this is. Merry Christmas!

lol

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Can someone fuse that with the visit playstarbound.com one

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

XboxPants posted:

Not true, there are combat foods that give you thorny armor or bonus damage or more exotic buffs like that. They're uncommon, but if you specialize in cooking & farming, you'll find them.

They give you combat buffs, which means you're still being forced into fighting which is the point people are bringing up. Chucklefish really kind of pushed that you could get through most of the progression through mostly farming, building, etc. and that doesn't appear to be true with so much gated behind linear quests now.

And the mining really needs to be sped up (doubled at least) if the cores are going to be the first big hurdle. It takes forever to collect those first materials. Right now it's tedium for the sake of tedium and sucks fun from the game.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

Ah, just what starbound was missing, Fetch quests!

Lmbo

Combat was no real issue for me all enemies are bitches that die in 1-2 hits, that are dumb and predictible and none of them took me below 50% hp.

I'm making a genuine effort to play the game now. I figure while it's fun to poo poo on the game, it should at least be done honestly by playing it for real and making GBS threads on it with genuine criticisms. Monsters and humanoid enemies are now much different. Monsters are much easier to kill than they were in Koala, but NPCs are harder. I found a Floran temple type thing for the first time and the first one that came into view whittled me down quickly with an assault rifle, and then closed in and killed me in melee quite quickly. I was wearing a steel torso armor and iron feet and helmet.

When you use the search box in the crafting menu, it doesn't disable the E key. So for example if you want to craft a hoe, you type in H-O and then if you accidentally hit E it closes the menu.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
it took me like 6 hours to get off the starting planet and I put all the ores I picked up while looking for core fragments in the ship vault

then when I upgraded my ship the vault's inventory was reset to the starting contents of torches/some rocks

so it basically wiped all that progress since in starbound mining ore = progress!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

theres pink mans who take waaay too long to kill, and broken npcs who take waaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to kill

theres also a mission where some lady at the special port place is like "hey space voyager go to a jungle to get rawass coffee beans to make coffee with because I want coffee(???!???!!!??)",

go find a jungle planet,

find coffee beans on the planet,

use coffee beans with coffee machine,

take coffee to lady who is then like "hey I won't drink this coffee without a container(????!?!?!??!??!!!!?!??!????)",

go find a desert planet,

dig up 20 sand for 10 glass(iirc),

smelt sand into glass,

craft the 10 glass into a coffee mug,

go back to the lady again and shove the raw uncontained free-floating coffee and separate coffee mug into her loving idiot face,

and then you get like one tech card or some bullshit.

Bilal posted:

IronicDongz posted:

oh yeah I forgot that part lol, which means if you did the rest of it before steel-tier you need to put the lovely quest on hold for later

christ

Blackheart posted:

Wait wait wait wait

so the "make a spoon" thing is not a joke
Starbound is a bad game.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
at least I wasn't one of those suckers that spent $150 on archeage though

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

at least I wasn't one of those pedophiles that spent $150 on archeage though

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bilal posted:

I'm making a genuine effort to play the game now. I figure while it's fun to poo poo on the game, it should at least be done honestly by playing it for real and making GBS threads on it with genuine criticisms. Monsters and humanoid enemies are now much different. Monsters are much easier to kill than they were in Koala, but NPCs are harder. I found a Floran temple type thing for the first time and the first one that came into view whittled me down quickly with an assault rifle, and then closed in and killed me in melee quite quickly. I was wearing a steel torso armor and iron feet and helmet.

NPC armor is apparently bugged and a lot stronger than it's supposed to be atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

They give you combat buffs, which means you're still being forced into fighting which is the point people are bringing up.

Yeah, I get it. You asked "what ever happened to the multiple paths system" and I answered, the answer is that it's basically gone, there's now just the one main path. If you thought you were gonna be able to go through the game without fighting at all, well it ain't gonna happen, there's no "pacifist" route.

But the point I was bringing up is that there is some small remnants of that system in that you have a few different styles of play you can use while going down that one path. To be very specific, you have a few choices of what you want to do to earn pixels, for instance kill monsters or sell crops. I'm not telling you this is good or bad, but you asked so I'm telling you what the current state/plan of the game is.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 18, 2014

• Locked thread