Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tengames posted:

The whole "caveman" thing kinda falls flat when you start with a space ship, 3d printer, and a high tech matter manipulator, and you have to use said manipulator to cut down your first tree, and mine the stone for your first pickaxe. if it can do all that, why cant I just freaking use that instead of having to bang rocks together for progress?

Know what I think would make the game feel more sci-fi early on? Instead of better picks, you upgrade your matter manipulator. Maybe the one you start off with is damaged and you're just fixing it up as you go along. Wedge a chunk of stone in there to keep these two components from touching, get some copper to fix up some wiring, replace the casing with some iron, make more corrosion resistant wiring using silver and gold. Then later once you get more high tech you ditch that silly manipulator for something better. The tech and the basics just feel kinda poorly meshed together, too. Why does making armor on my anvil use up pixels? I'd give it a pass if I was later in the game and was using high-tech armor, but I'm smashing metal into shape. That shouldn't cost funky future space materialmoney.

Enzer posted:

To store all the poo poo you'll eventually find yourself looting and hoarding, of course!

On that note, I really wish the game would let you bookmark locations rather than just setting a single one as home. What if I find a really cool ruin and want to explore it, but found it too tough? Letting me bookmark it ingame rather than making me write down the coordinates would be way easier. I also managed to lose my original home planet with a misclick. Luckily I had enough things with me and on my ship to quickly get a little house made, but still. To be honest, I don't really even WANT a home planet. All it really offers me is room to grow crops, and there doesn't seem to be much reason to do that anyway. If I could just live on my ship (possible) or just literally pick up my big fancy house and drop it on another planet, that would be great. I kind of want to make a really nice house, but I also end up getting the feeling that since the game rewards exploring new worlds far more than just mindlessly mining a single one, I'm not going to spend enough time at home and will instead just end up building lovely little camps that I pick up and move every time I switch planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Minrad posted:

Man, that title. I pretty much agree with what you're saying; starting out crash landed on a planet and needing to recover some base copper or something to do some makeshift repairs and continuing down the current path up until you get the spaceship flying again would make more sense than it does currently. Alternatively, just bump it up to a sci-fi setting from the get go if I'm gonna be flying in a god drat spaceship. :argh:

I know what you mean. When you can just chop down some trees and gently caress off into space, sitting around on some shithole planet making picks just seems...weird.

A.C. posted:

I blame all of the streamers for the confusion; every single streamer I watched stayed on one planet and played the game like it was Terraria. I remember watching the absolutely atrocious Totalbiscuit/Jesse Cox stream which was 14 minutes long, and thinking at the end of the 14 minutes, "It took them 14 minutes to accomplish what I expect to have done in about 90 seconds" and I was right. I watched one where they actually killed the first boss after about six hours, which was the most "successful" early stream I saw, and I still managed to do what they had done in about an hour and a half. Famous minecraft/terraria streamers are notoriously bad at videogames and they should have given some of the early copies to people like Kripp who are actually good at videogames and give viewers a good idea of how to advance in videogames.

It doesn't help that the tutorial is pretty terrible, really. It's telling you to sit around making picks and armor and stuff, when you've already got access to your ship. It's easy to assume that the distress beacon it tells you to make is for the sake of getting off the planet in the first place, and it never tells you that you can refuel your ship and go somewhere else. I kind of thought that crafting the distress beacon would get me some starter fuel and get me what I needed to make more, but what I actually got was a complete asskicking. In fact, the game is actively leading you towards scrubbing around in the dirt for ore when you can already gently caress off and get equipment that's far better than the stuff the tutorial is trying to make you craft.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Attention everyone: Rainbow Wood can be found on desert planets. I have 2000 pieces of it, which will give me 6000 planks. I think...I might build something with it. But first I'm going to have to jet off into space and fight some worthy decorations for my fabulous castle.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Does anyone know where to find crystals? I found a schematic for a rainbow bed that uses them.

I want a rainbow everything now. Gotta hunt those schematics.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cybermg posted:

I have some concerns with the progression rebalance. Some of these are things people have already stated:

- Lack of differentiation between planets. It's nice to have some easy planets and some hard planets, or as someone said, the feeling that you're risking something by going to a very hard world for a greater reward. The difficulty level of a planet is very much a part of its character. I guess you can have easy, medium, and hard planets, but see below.
- Less of a sense of progression within a tier. You've got easy, medium, and hard, but more levels allows for more variety and seems less artificial. It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to add granularity to a system once you already have multiple levels.
- I hope there's still an armor stat, because while basing a system on straight DPS makes weapon choice simpler, it also removes a lot of the strategy around weapon choice (pick the highest number, it's the best always).

1. The difference between a level 1 forest planet and a level 2 forest planet are pretty much not noticeable anyway.
2. This is also the same answer is 1.
3. I'm pretty sure they're not removing the armor stat, because that would require coming up with another idea for giving you a reason to make armor. And as for your worries about simplifying weapon systems, with the current system it was STILL a case of pick the one with the highest number. It's just that in this case, you pick the one with the highest penetration because it can actually do more than scratch higher level monsters.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Go to another planet.

drat, the key thing Chucklefish needs to add is a small quest that says YO CHUCK SOME WOOD OR COAL INTO YOUR SHIP AND GO FLY INTO INFINITY, there are SO MANY PEOPLE that completely miss the ability to do this.

It's because you start with no fuel, and are quickly instructed to make a distress beacon which you could easily think is to get you off the planet in the first place. I initially assumed that making the distress beacon was how I'd get some fuel so I could jet into space. I thought that being an FTL drive, it'd need something more advanced than wood or coal.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They should all be docile and be harmless loot pinatas to solve this problem. :v: I don't think those enemies are that much of a problem in particularly hostile places, but restricting ones that actually attack to NPC toys / crashed ship and eldritch abomination defenses would be nice.

The problem I found with a lot of enemies in Terraria was that they weren't so much a threat so much as they just loving pissed me off. gently caress off you little fucker, I'm trying to loving mine! Go AWAY endless hoard of flying assholes, I just want to break this shadow orb and beat the piss out of this lovely baby boss!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Arsonide posted:

A: It's wood, not warp fuel.

B: Wood being efficient as warp fuel negates a large portion of the game.

Edit: Mostly B.

What portion, exactly? Digging deep into the earth for ore is fine at first, but if you make me keep doing it I'm gonna get real bored real fast. And besides, if all I really want to do is jet from planet to planet, breaking into ruins and stealing their cultural artifacts to pimp out my sweet crib, then by drat I'm gonna do it!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
So is this game any good yet or did it get worse while I haven't been touching it? Reading recent posts leads me to believe the second thing, but nerds love to whine so I guess I'm asking what's changed in the past few months.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Shoehead posted:

It'd be cool if you went full on Castaway. But this being a building game it'd be more like Gilligan's Island.

I think I've figured out what the main problem for me with the nightly version of caveman tier is, finally. It's not so much getting stuck on one planet that bothers me, it's that terrain generation is a bit dodgy atm. For one it's a bit of a crapshoot, with wood maybe not spawning and some ore being scarcer and another problem is the surface caves broke or something and don't spawn. Which deprives you of plant materials and easy spelunking. I think with a few dungeons and special stuff for starter planets would make the start a lot more interesting. Oh and have the bloody ufo drop some core fragments or something.

The biggest issue though is multiplayer. If everyone has to do all this alone on separate planets it will seriously suck.

I'm incredibly, incredibly against the caveman tier as well as being against having to tool around on some lovely lame planet looking for fuel so I can explore in a game that's apparently meant to be about exploration. If they must have a caveman tier, it should essentially be a tutorial that teaches the player the basics of resource gathering, crafting and combat. It should also be skippable.

In Terraria you can actually start pretty quickly. Find a good cave and you can find plenty of ore and items to start you off, and if you find some higher tier ore you can just mine it and make a new pick from it. The limitations on what you can tackle is limited by your equipment, but it's not a hard limitation. If you get the gunsmith, you can get a gun and tackle the first two bosses pretty easily and progress straight to demonite tier. Starbound just kinda slows the whole thing down a lot by forcing you spend a bunch of resources that you may or may not be able to get on your planet. Want to try another one to see if it has better stuff? Hope you found some fuel on your planet. You know what would be a good idea? Finding fuel lets you make lots of hops quickly, but your ship recharges energy over time anyway. Maybe you could build solar collectors on a planet to produce electricity to power it faster too.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Gotta be honest, I'm finding the detractors way more likable than Chucklefish employees. They're entertaining at least.

Also there's not much to talk about because there isn't much to do at the moment. Not anything that doesn't require too much time to be worth it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

AceClown posted:

Magic?? Really?

Wow, that sounds retarded.

I'm...hoping that magic actually means crazy space tech.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
So what's the difference between the shootmans gear and the wizard gear? Are rogues just like halfway between a warrior and a wizard in this in terms of what gear they use?

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, this is literally just selecting a class based on your equipment. Warrior, rogue and wizard.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Just wait for the announcement that Sony or Nintendo bought Chucklefish for 1 billion.

Nice, then we might get a proper release at some point.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I wouldn't mind this pick-tiers idea if things like sand-mining still existed, and if more tools were added to let you get higher tier ore without the right pick. Blasting charges, come the gently caress on don't deny us the coolest way to mine.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Starbound is an early access game, and as such is in all three development phases at once.

Not even as a joke. They're still adding fundamental systems while also being released to the public and needing bug-testing and balancing to bridge those two parts.

I'm going to say it now. Unless early access means getting access to the late beta, early access is going to make worse games. By doing all these things at once a developer is probably going to do a poo poo job of it all. Plus the lacking quality and bad balance tweaks will put people off, especially seeing as from their point of view they're not alpha or beta testing, they're playing a game they paid for.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
See my issue with Starbound is that I've paid money and a lot of what I see them doing is stuff I'm really not interested in. I want to explore, not scrub around in the dirt looking for copper so I can mine some iron so I can stop being a caveman. And all the while I'm desperately picking up every scrap of coal I can so I can actually loving leave this lovely planet and EXPLORE. Imposing hard limits on where you can go and what you can do is boring. I like systems where if you know what you're doing you can skip tiers, sneak into a dangerous area without the best equipment and snatch up some cool loot, make some consumables and use them to blow up some dangerous monsters that would normally destroy my pansy weakling rear end.

And I'm not really seeing that from Starbound. It's all enforced tiers and strictly limited progression where you 100% need <X> to move on to something new, or even move sideways to another planet.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Supernorn posted:

guys, please learn the difference between a 'plan' and a set date.

I'm only providing information that's already been given on the blog. We already announced our plan to get the game out by year end.

Stop bothering to post here you will never make any headway.

Also what the gently caress made you think a quote from Tiy would settle people's worries that the game's been canned? What would settle those worries is a stable patch (that doesn't loving suck because it removes things like sand mining and adds strict ore tiering)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Saxophone posted:

Still have no clue how people don't just have those two (and some others) on ignore. Is reporting for thread-making GBS threads and trolling a thing anymore? Because holy gently caress.

I'll just stick to my honored tradition of not bothering to read a post if there isn't any capitalization or punctuation.

Reporting posters now just gets you shamed instead. Which is pretty awesome to be honest considering the amount of "BUT, BUT HE WAS MEAAAAAAAN" reports that exist.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
That puppy is clearly slowing progress on the game. For the good of the game you need to get rid of the puppy.

Give me the puppy.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Don't make the food buff prevent you from eating more food, make it so that eating another piece of food replaces the food buff you currently have.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

oddium posted:

Everyone in the conference room, we need to discuss whether or not to punish the player for moving around in our exploration platformer. Yes, bring the dog

They should let the dog design the game, it'd do a better job.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

The win in this thread is reaching critical mass

Would you say it's almost epic?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Everyone sane and supportive got bored waiting for an actual update and forgot about Starbound. Only the trolls care now.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

XboxPants posted:

It ain't even about that, thought. Like, here:

I got a gun, there's a guy above me with a melee weapon and he's gonna come after me. Do I run to the left, or to the right? What position do I take?

If I run to the left I'm boxed in and he's gonna cut me to ribbons 'cause I can't get range. Energy doesn't even play into it either way, it's just about making better choices about where to move.

If your can boost just whenever, then your positioning kinda doesn't matter 'cause you can bail out whenever you want. If your movement is more limited, then you gotta think things out a couple steps ahead like this, 'cause you know you may not have enough energy to use your dash tech to escape. Or, you may have to think "poo poo, do I want to just dash away and be safe, or go risky and try and finish him off" and perhaps make an interesting decision with consequences.

Assuming a PvP situation melee guy will just spam his movement techs to catch up to ranged guy and beat his face in with his +3 longsword of star farts. Because he has the energy to spare on using them while ranged guy needs it to actually attack too.

No sorry he'll spam one movement tech because you can only use one at a time.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

See this is the real problem people have with this game, a lot of time has passed and they don't really seem to have much to show for it.

Seriouspost here.

Not only do they not have much to show for their time, but from my point of view they're taking steps backwards in some areas. Like removing sand mining. Why the gently caress would they remove it? It let you speed up the boring task of mining and it managed to be a straight up entertaining method of getting coal. Oh, coal! That stuff you need to mine by the truckload to power your ship, unless you want to go deep into the planet to find the other fuels you can use. Getting enough fuel to fly anywhere is pointless busywork and limits one of the main draws of the game, which is exploring. It was fine when you could dump trees into your gas tank, but they had to change it so that if you wanted to use wood you had to deforest a whole planet to get anywhere. They're making all these efforts to make a ~serious challenging game~ when what I think most people wanted was a fun sandbox where they got to gently caress around and build things. Only you don't want to build anything more than a simple storage hut, because eventually you'll be leaving this planet for another one.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

I'm gonna fire one shot at this guy. Oh wait he's a tier above me now I need to wait for the recharge and now Im gay.

I thought you were already gay.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

Starbound is pregnant?!

Maybe it'll give birth to a good game????

No.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
In the death throes of the universe as we drift in the wake of our burnt out sun, we few survivors still utter the immortal words..."Chucklefish where's our game"

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dr Who is based in Cardiff so wow lol Tiy super hosed up.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

You beautiful bastard.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

Imagine a turd falling out of my rear end. My rear end is chucklefish and the turd is star bound

And the toilet is the players

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I'm torn. Part of me wants Starbound to become good to justify the money I spent. Another part of me wants it to suck because it'd be funny.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kikas posted:

It's Today for just 3 more hours in London where they moved, so they better act fast.

Two hours now. Tick tock Chucklefish, tick tock.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

@Tiyuri
Having some issues pushing the build to steam, solving them :) update will be out today still

40 minutes left, Tiyuri.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Played up until this mission where you go into some mines. Mission loving blows. The regular enemies are fine, they're not too hard to kill .The loving infected miners twoshot me and my gun plinks away at like 3 hp per loving shot and my melee weapon isn't much better. Why tell me to make steel armour if steel armour is going to be terrible at protecting you from the monsters? Also it's incredibly lame that it makes you start the whole mission again if you die. How the hell do you even dodge the boss' third attack pattern? Do you just stand right beneath it and wait until you're allowed to do something again?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
More complaints: When I started copper was a pain in the rear end to find. And making me mine to the centre of the goddamn loving plant to get some loving dumb poo poo so I can go to other planets was hella lovely.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Does titanium even spawn in the starting star system? I ask because if I had some I could make armour worth a drat that doesn't let me almost die from touching this loving rear end in a top hat crystal monster's beams a single time. It would be a hell of a lot easier if I didn't have to gently caress around with keeping my mouse pointed in the right direction to keep moving faster than a crippled snail.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

stuntwaffle posted:

mods please change my avatar to this if it's not too NSFW

This is loving stupid.

Why the gently caress would a robot need to have a dick, jesus christ starbound modders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I'm going to just say it, the update hasn't added anything. Oh sure it's got like, more sprites and stuff, but in terms of actual playable content? Way less. Because the quest gating has completely annihilated the one part of the game that was implemented half decently, which was the sandbox. Now you get no sandbox, just some lovely fetch quest slog. No alternative paths because those still haven't been added, just do dumb quests that are mind numbingly boring.

It is more of a game in that it is structured more like one, it is not anything I would actually want to play because it has zero content in the game department.

Pretty much this. Everything's so gated and controlled. Do this mission. Get this ore. They literally FORCE you to make the right tier of armour to progress. You can't get lucky and get propelled forwards a whole bunch like you can in Terraria. In Terraria you could use bombs to mine things you can't normally and get some equipment long before you'd normally be able to get it. That was good! That was loving good! In Starbound you just point your MM at your feet and hold down left mouse button. Occasionally you'll fall into a cavern and fight some boring monsters and get a little ore so you can make your next tier of armour and weapons which let you fight the current crop of enemies as effectively as your old gear let you fight the old enemies from the previous planet. There's no feeling of your power increasing there. You literally can't do something smart or get lucky and get a little more power than is expected for your current 'level'.

• Locked thread