Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
This game is fantastic, so great for just chilling out.
I do wish inventory management was better. Even a ctrl-f search thing that'll highlight containers containing whatever you searched for would do. Is that possible in a mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I like this game, it is fun, but for sure it isn't done. That's not a problem, I think most (reasonable) people knew what they were getting into with the Early Access. At this point I feel that while I got my money's worth out of the game (100+ hours) it's still not where I feel it should be, but again that's part of Early Access, so I'm fine with just not playing the game for a while until things improve. That's all cool, and I don't feel like I was cheated or anything crazy like that.

What does bother me is the lack of insight as to the process and plan regarding the game. It's cute that there are nightly builds out, but from the reactions here it sounds like most of the new content is kind of random and without any clear goal, and in fact some of it (dropping ore on death, the restrictions around mining) seem like completely retarded ideas that someone implemented out of bored. Having been a developer in the past, I know how it is tough to stay focused on a project, and how important it is to have clear goals and milestones to deliver against. Some of the half-baked "features" seem pointless or counter-productive, and make me wonder what exactly is the team working towards?

I guess it's just a general disappointment regarding the lack of clarity about where the game is headed, and it's really hard to voice any worries or question the team when both extremes of the pro/con chucklefish argument are ready to come out swinging. As an example, some pages ago someone asked about UI improvements, and one reply was "UI is so far down the list of importance that it's usually left till the end." Fair enough. So why does "ore drop on death" and "slowing pickaxe progress" trump UI changes? Features that would likely only apply to "hardcore" mode have such a small target audience, while UI changes affect everyone, so it seems like common-sense priorities are being completely ignored.

I still like the game and will wait for it to become the super-sandbox game of the future, I just wish I had some idea of what that game will look like.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
The people talking about how bad the game is are just doing it for the "Post online about how much Starbound sucks while having 100+ hours logged in-game" achievement.

PS: starbound is terrible and ate my baby.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Dominic White posted:

They're holding off until releasing a new 'Stable' build until everything is working properly, because they don't want to break mods every few weeks.

I think that having a new version break mods every few weeks would truly suck, but at this rate it's more like they don't want to break mods more than once a year. By the time the new stable is out, how much of the previous version's mod developers will have moved on to a newer, more troll-friendly Early Access game?

I really am looking forward to more of the game, along with the various different ways of progressing through it - like farming or whatever. Maybe they will add a character class that lets you harass the colonies on each planet, some kind of Pirate or... Space Troll.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
In all seriousness I think it is just us, the vocal minority, who sit here complaining when we really just want to rub our StarMounds while listening to the soundtrack and reading old devlogs and website updates. Which I just did, and saw that the game has been in development for like 2 years now, and no stable updates in 5 months. But at least when the update comes, we will have beach balls and paper airplanes!!

I assume the silent majority is silent due to having a mouthful of Tiy's cock.

Can't wait till it is done, I expect it will be a fantastic game delivery platform on the PC.

Fake Edit: I mean, it will be a fantastic semen delivery platform in my mouth.
Fake Edit 2: I logged over 200 hours in this game when it came out, so I got my money's worth! This thread is just dessert.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Imagine you meet an amazing, beautiful woman and you fall in love and get engaged and have the best sex ever (I know you're all virgins but try) and everything is fantastic for a few months but then she shaves her head and gets plastic surgery to look like a horse and also has a horse cock attached. Whenever you try to talk to her/him/it about where the relationship is going she gets angry and slaps you like a bitch and chains you to a soggy bed in the basement and shits on your chest. You try to cancel the wedding plans but she beats you up and threatens to trample your friends and family so all you can do is sit and cry in the basement and masturbate like I am doing right now because this is so hot.

That's TiyStarBound.

Please, seek help, StarBound. We love you and will support you (not financial support you already had enough of that, nor verbal because gently caress you, but maybe a spore-friendly thumbs-up)

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Section Z posted:

Honestly I don't know if I should be surprised or not Supernorm is only goofing off with the shitposters and not responding in any way to legitimate questions about gameplay. You, like all two of them in the past month oh wait I guess that's why.

Actually the shitposters are just Tiy's and Supernorn's alt accounts. It's like purposely starting fires in the forest during dry season so that when a real fire happens, it doesn't go out of control, only then you realize you love starting fires and you're an arsonist and also the forest is a good place to bury the bodies of all the (non-staff) hobos that you ran over in your pickup truck. Also your truck has horsetit mudflaps.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Splits posted:

I just bought this game and this thread makes me afraid to play it. I just liked terraria.

Just get the StarBound for Terraria mod, it is simply it just disables half of Terraria's features and adds horsetits.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Vib Rib posted:

For a real answer: the site updates almost daily with progress/plans and that sort of thing. Nightlies are a thing but you have to opt into them and most people don't bother because it's all seat of your pants stuff that breaks easily and isn't balanced out yet. So the official site is your best bet for news, and the updates are there if you want them, but most folks, myself included, are just waiting for the next stable, whenever that'll be.

Does the site get updated daily? Maybe I'm retarded (I do keep checking this thread :downs:) but I couldn't find any recent updates except that paper plane/beach ball one.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Mokinokaro posted:

Look deep within yourself. It was there all along.

You're right, it was - until I took my morning dump. It is now deep within my toilet-transforming girlfriend.

Just noticed I got a different avatar. I miss being forum babby :*(

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
During this time of Thanksgiving, I am most thankful for the shitposts in this thread. Sometimes I see the post count go up and load up the thread and there are serious posts and few shitposts, and me and baby jesus and our manger of turkeys cry.

Maybe in a few daysweeksyears there will be a real content update post, and for a while there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the suppression of shitposts as everyone froths about the new advanced paper airplane flight physics which let you poke out an enemy's eye using up only all of your energy. Thankfully that time will pass by quickly and this thread will again decay for years, as god intended. I hope that, by then, the team starts and abandons another game, so we can have two threads to shitpost concurrently - and it will herald a new era of faggotry, an era that I dearly look forward to.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
It's great because it is a similar issue to how unfun food was, but instead of fixing it in a similar way, they made it suck in a whole new way.

Dec 5 Dev Blog posted:

The general consensus among the team so far is that getting kicked in the balls feels much better than testicular cancer.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Dec 6 Dev Blog posted:

In an effort to make the tediousness of game mechanics more consistently awful, we decided to revisit how walking and running work. There will now be a stamina bar that goes down as you walk around or move the mouse, and it will deplete faster if you run or do any actions. Replenishing the bar requires eating food, however if you eat too much, your character will need to sit down for a few minutes to poo poo and then take a nap.

Also we are now using your webcam so that whenever you look at the game, the sound of a baby screaming will play, increasing in volume the longer you play. The only way to reset the volume is to kill yourself, like we all wish we could, but we sold our souls to TiySatan and are bound to inflict eternal torment on any mortals foolish enough to pay for this "game".

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
The best part of the horrible mess that is Starbound is that it has spawned a few knockoffs/similar games that may also one day have threads full of hilarious shitposting, like Interstellaria. I hope that one day it is as poo poo as Starbound.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Vib Rib posted:

My first thought was "holy poo poo what an ugly and unappealing UI" but then I looked at the rest of the screenshots and was relieved to see that the entire game is that ugly so at least they're consistent.

Nope.

Seriously, at least interstellaria seems to have some kind of progression other than grind material, get good poo poo, move to new level and start again.

For a more similar game look at Signs of Life.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Tres Burritos posted:

Interstellaria is like one guy, he posts in some of the game dev / making games threads here as well.

Jackard posted:

Doesn't the Signs of Life guy post here as well?

Then I guess they are already familiar with the shitposts they can expect if they gently caress it up. That simplifies things greatly and maybe we can skip the circlejerk part?

Hopefully when the legions of derpy goons (like me) buy into the early access, both dev teams will relocate to Gold Mountain and sleep on bags of cocaine instead of mattresses.

Koobze fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 7, 2014

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I don't even know who is working on the dev team at this point (and won't bother to find out, that would be putting in more effort than the dev team seems to be doing) but I assume that nightlies are due to older devs burning out on the game and switching to new stuff while new devs get dumped in and flail around randomly. Even a year ago it seemed there was no real "project management" or "roadmap" going on so I am not surprised. The whole early access thing was less about community-driven development and more just a cash grab. And it worked, good for chucklefish, even idiots win the lottery.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Rrussom posted:

The two fanbases are starbound to be carmageddon it on in the future.

You are the best poster in this thread and the reason I read it. Shine on you crazy diamond.

Also on topic: FuckleChish updated their blog, hur hur.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
So, I was embarrassed about making GBS threads all over this game without having played it in a long time - nothing worse than old poo poo - and went ahead and installed the nightly yesterday. Of course it is broken and won't launch from steam, and the launcher is broken and won't launch the game, but these are known issues so I went ahead and ran it myself.

The start is a bit different in that you aren't just grinding for coal, instead you have to dig deep into the earth to get at planet core ore to fix the ship, which is also a grind since the matter manipulator is still slow. I found a few pickaxes in chests so that helped a bit till they broke, and the core ores are also tough to mine, but I ended up collecting enough to do the fixin, then found I need some silver bars for the next fix, and at that point stopped. I am pretty sure the first mod I install will be one that bypasses all the grind to let me just get explorin.

I also tried out the combat. As a novakid with my flashlight and 1h gun I was able to kill two enemies before running out of energy, which thankfully worked out since the underground caves didn't have too many enemies spawning at a time. I did have to run away a few times but it wasn't so bad. Ultimately though I spent about an hour digging and then climbing back up just to fix something on my ship, and I still can't go travelling far. Also, for a new player, I think it's a bit more confusing, but I assume they will add more quests to the start (like there used to be the "make a workbench" quest) so you know you can actually make poo poo in the crafting tab.

Maybe all the crazy new poo poo appears later but I didn't find it such a different experience compared to a year ago. May try a bit more so I can more accurately threadshit but I think other lovely EA games also deserve my attention. I still have high hopes, maybe this new update will be all that and a bag of chips.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Nosam0819 posted:

is this game still worth playing? I played it for a bit, then quit. idk I just kinda got bored.

Just like wine, StarBound gets better with age. So pack up your copy and save it as a gift for your grandchildren, they will love playingwaiting for an update.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Desideratus posted:

(I'm sure everyone is shocked)

Anyone who expects ChuckleFish to deliver on even half of what they've promised has StarDowns.
(has anyone used that pun yet????)

Seriously though, thanks for modding the game, you modders make it worth hanging on.

I have StarDowns :downsgun:

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Section Z posted:

Does anybody know if they fixed up enemy hitboxes? I remember constantly swearing at the sniper rifles and assorted guns I eventually got. Where the shots would harmlessly pass through the heads of enemies from the chin and up.

No, that still happens all the fuckin time. Good thing you can kill two enemies with a full energy bar (unless you miss (of course you will miss))

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Yeah I kind of liked the old-style furnace setup, it was neat having a few glowing, providing the only light in my furnace room. But having it do the smelting instantly is way better so whatever, I can still make 4 furnaces for no real reason.

Also I was playing last night, and just now tried to boot it up, and there's an update (to nightly, 200+mb). Hoping it's something good, but I wanted to play for 30 minutes (to maybe grind out another 5 iron ore!!) and for some reason steam hadn't started the download till I tried to play. So not really ChuckleFish's fault but I am so used to being angry at them I will blame them regardless, loving assholes. I hope that this update has something interesting!

Does anyone know if there are any mods out for the nightlies that do that creative mode thing, where you had an item that could spawn anything in the game so you could just skip through all the progression poo poo and get to exploring? It's been so long I can't even remember where to go looking for mods.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I find it incredibly frustrating that simple ease-of-use/quality-of-life things aren't in there. It is clear devs don't actually play the game and just add in random poo poo whenever they get a random idea thanks to drugs or some fever-dream. Usability example: loving crates everywhere, hitting 'e' opens them, but how do you easily close them? Escape or click the X icon? Same with no loot all button. If the devs don't wanna play their own game (without dev codes/cheating) they should at least organize some focus groups and usability testing.

And if there are keys for this, the should be more obviously documented.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

XboxPants posted:

'e' used to close them again as well, but it was changed. The new way is much simpler. Now all you have to do is this:

If you don't understand why it's more player-friendly to make users simply dig through the game's config files, with no direction from the game whatsoever that such a thing is even possible, in order to edit the keybindings by giving them new functionality, then I just don't know what to say to you good sir.

If I didn't know any better, I would swear you work for ChuckleFish.

Oh wait, you're actually providing really good information and helping me enjoy the game, no way you'd be working for them.

Thanks!!

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Nice, a new nightly update came out, maybe it fixes the launcher issues? Nope, steam still won't launch it, and launcher still won't launch it.
I wonder what it does???

Oh.

Edit: i was going to play starbound but since I cant I guess I have to go back to low effort shitposting???

I hope this guide to StarBound© helps.

Koobze fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 17, 2014

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Please help me kickstart my new animated gif.

Only $30 and I promise to update it within 10 years!!!!

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Now I feel sorry for the StarBound devs :(
I mean, the ones who joined after the initial cash-surge... none of the loot, all of the hate.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Ahundredbux posted:

gently caress, booted up nightly, is mining supposed to be this slow and tedious? Feels like there's no loving ore to mine.

Tiny clusters here and there but it takes me like an hour to find enough copper for a pickaxe to make it less slow.

Did I just get unlucky with my starting planet or something?

It only took you an hour?
Sounds like you got very lucky indeed, friend.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Tiyuri's twitter, Dec 13 posted:

Nightlies are coming along nicely. We're trying for unstable next week and depending on bugs etc stable some time in January

Supernorn posted:

The fact is, with a few exceptions you sucked any fun out of me posting here. I wasn't required to. I'm a goon that just happens to be contributing to a game that I enjoy working on. You can't really expect me to take this thread seriously when you guys are just showing utter contempt towards me, the game or any reasonable means towards a discussion. So I'm going to peace out and you guys can continue doing whatever it is you think this is. Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas!!!!!
:downsgun:

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Bauxite posted:

"This game isn't good, instead of giving any sort of feedback I'm just gonna post gifs of them eating poo poo and hope they get the message"

Like, yeah, game needs a lot of work and there are fuckups, but god drat is this the most childish I've ever seen goons take a game being poo poo. Go team, I guess. Considering it's a $15 game it's really hard to sympathize with any of you.

Sorry that my threadshitting doesn't reach SomethingAwful's high level of standards.
At least I had more fun drinking whiskey and making my gif than anyone else had trying to play Error Message 2014.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Bauxite posted:

I was playing last night and haven't had any issue outside of having to launch the game via its executable instead of through steam :shrug:

That's exactly what I was doing :(

The rough part is that I actually wanted to play the drat game and couldn't. Perhaps if I had just deleted it and reinstalled from scratch, but I am on hotel internet and that would take 12 hours.

We are all just StarBound's angry, bitter ex-girlfriends.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

XboxPants posted:

Did you clean out your files for the new nightly? (the config, the universe folder, the player folder, etc, all the same ones you always have to do)

Nope, I had no idea I had to do that. Where does it mention this? It's my first time trying nightly. I assumed if there were custom steps to take they'd be listed in the launcher or???

Edit: I guess the reason it "just worked" when I first installed Nightly this weekend is that I had uninstalled the game a year ago after burning out on it. So when the next nightly came out, everything broke? Still, wish there was something somewhere going "hey you need to do this for this game to only crash due to bugs and not user-error"

Koobze fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 17, 2014

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

XboxPants posted:

Yeah for something that is gonna happen to everyone, it should probably just be mentioned in the launcher (assuming the launcher is ever fixed :haw:).

Other than that, probably other than just googling "starbound nightly crash" you'd have to go onto their official forums looking for support. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/nightly-builds-not-launching-check-here-first.81537/ Reddit & steam forums both have a similar thread.

I guess they didn't bother 'cause they figure anyone using nightlies is the type of person who is going to be using their site for feedback and looking up bugs and poo poo anyway.

Thanks. I probably should have done more digging, I did check the steam forums and saw other people had the issue but there was no resolution in that thread. And it was 10pm so I didn't want to have to do a bunch of work to get to use the product, I'm not running Linux here.

Bauxite posted:

That's weird, I've had nightly installed for the past 2 weeks or so, and I haven't had to do anything through those updates to make it work. Seems like a personal issue?

Yeah that could very well be it. It was a fresh install but I'm on my work laptop so perhaps a security policy is loving things up. If I was not in a hotel I would've just deleted all local content and reinstalled but... oh well, lesson learned. Plus I got to piss off a bunch of goons! A good night all around.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I take solace in the fact that no matter how Starbound eventually ends up, it will never be better than this thread.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Yeah, I think that, like me, the other heavy shitposters in this thread really enjoyed the game when it came out, and had a lot of hopes for it. I played it way too much and bought a few copies for my friends, too. But since then, each month has just been increasingly frustrating as whatever "progress" gets made in development seems like a step back and makes me wonder what the gently caress happened to the game. I still want it to be good but it doesn't seem like that will ever happen, and yet

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Tin Tim posted:

Thread stays until we get the update :colbert:

Don't threads get automatically archived after 10 years?

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
The problem with writing out a well-reasoned post detailing the issues is that people have been doing that for most of 2014 and it's absolutely pointless since legitimate criticisms are either ignored or get snarky replies, and ChuckleFish just carries on derping anyway. Everyone basically agrees that there are issues but what's the point in talking about them when it just means everyone involved gets more and more frustrated with no resolution in sight? At least trolling is amusing (for the ones doing the trolling).

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Shoehead posted:

Nothing else to do but twiddle our thumbs and shitpost. I can totally see why someone more involved with the game would wanna take a break

Different strokes. I guess in an ideal world, people would realpost and every reply would be "Yes indeed, I agree" and everyone would get bored and the thread would die, because the core problems haven't changed any so there is nothing new to actually discuss.

But I am not ready to let this thread die. To me that feels like tacitly agreeing to the way the game has gone to poo poo. I want ChuckleFish to feel bad (while rolling around in piles of money) and I want everyone reading this thread to feel bad. My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better thread for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape. But even after admitting this—and I have countless times, in just about every shitpost I’ve submitted—and coming face-to-face with these truths, there is no catharsis. I gain no deeper knowledge about myself, no new understanding can be extracted from my telling. There has been no reason for me to tell you any of this. This confession has meant nothing....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
The new heavily gated progression via retarded quests and damage sponge enemies is great! Assuming you enable admin mode on another character and spawn everything you need to skip that poo poo and drop it off on your first character's planet. It is not recommended to play in admin mode since it seems to unlock all items and sometimes while scrolling in a shop window or inventory the game will crash.

GAME OF THE YEAR(S) 2012-2023

• Locked thread